Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Link Map

Make linking options available for Map Chart Types.

I would like to be able to link the title of my maps to cells within my workbook to make it quicker and easier to update them but it is currently not available for Maps.
    See the first note on the following link:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Link-a-chart-title-label-or-text-box-to-a-worksheet-cell-efc8173a-2a8a-423b-b4e2-b10c62fca6f5

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Intelligent options for data labels in charts

We need better options for formatting and positioning data labels in charts.

*better positioning options, including above left, below left, above right, below right, etc.

*ability to specify offset (distance from data point), both horizontal and vertical

*ability to nudge data labels with keyboard arrows

*better number formats (see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/14817276-intelligent-number-formatting-in-chart-axes)

*ability to display label for min or max data point, for first data point, for last data point, for every other data point, etc.

*Tickbox option for all the data labels to match data color or some such (match the font of the data label to the line color,…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please check your spelling

In Excel 2010 (Design tab for Sparkline, Dropdown Axis, Vertical Axis Maximum Value Options, Custom Value...) "Enter the maximium value for the vertical axis". Please correct the spelling. It's "maximum" not "maximium". Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Freezing Property for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects

It will be good to have Freezing Option under Properties for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects etc. where a user can have an option to lock the objects on screen... and the same should be appearing as constant even if the user scrolls to the left-right & up-down.

This will give End-user a dynamic webpage view/feel especially for huge excel dashboards with specific KPI - graphs and charts appearing on top or on either sides

Like: Don't Move or Size or Scroll with the Cells

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PLEASE PLEASE Better Handling of Date/Time data in graphs

I have used Excel for 20+ years and STILL there is poor handling of time/date data in graphs. Can you make the axis options easier for users when using XY Scatter?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. MPOC - Add In or Native Feature

I really need to move points on charts like in Excel 2003.
    Can this function be added to every version of Excel ?
    There was an Add-In for Excel 2010 and Microsoft said it was evaluating how to bring this back as a native feature in a future release. Instead, the add-in can't be used for further version.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. WHY NOT UN-BREAK GRAPHS?

YOU BROKE GRAPHS AFTER 2013. DON'T TRY TO DENY IT. LINE GRAPHS CREATE CATEGORIES ON THE X AXIS INSTEAD OF USING REAL DATA. SCATTER GRAPHS REPLACE NEGATIVE X AXIS DATA WITH INVENTED POSITIVE DATA>

FIX YOUR MISTAKES URGENTLY. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO USE THIS GARBAGE?

NO NEED TO ASK FOR EXAMPLES. IT IS TRIVIAL TO CREATE FAILURES. TRY IT SOMETIME IN YOUR INADEQUATE REGRESSION TESTING PROCESS.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Chart Legends

Allow the ability to change legend key shape on charts. Currently the only/default option is square. Would be nice to have the ability to choose and use circle, triangle, diamond, rectangle, etc. as another option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. allow re-sizing of labels in sunburst charts

Allow re-sizing of labels in sunburst charts - labels for smaller or smallest segments do not appear if there is a wide range of values, resulting in un-named / blank segment(s).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Sankey diagram

Can we please have this type of chart as a main feature. I mean is so useful for a lot of things. is just so intuitive. so is perfect for representing all sorts of data that change in time and also that show the components of something bigger. broadly speaking I thing you should rethink the all chart sections because I think can be improved. I mean is the same for as far as I remember it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add charts that animate over a range of values

I would like to create a chart that dynamically changes to show values over time. Consider the simplest pie chart showing a single percentage value of something... One wedge out of the 100% circle. Now assume I have two columns of data: One showing a year and the other showing the corresponding data percentage for that year. I would like to be able to create a pie chart that lets me move the year value forward and backward, showing the corresponding wedge changing size to match the percent for that year. The visual display is a single chart object that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Step Graph

Please add the option to create a step graph as a type of line graph. This is a different way of presenting the data and in certain cases is a much more useful visual representation.

I have found workarounds to create a step graph but only if the data uses dates as the horizontal axis. I need to be able to create a chart with $ amount (for example) as the horizontal axis and have it be a step graph.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. capture data from picture of chart

Now that the ability to get data from a picture (of a table or text), can we extend the capability to grab data from a picture of a chart?

My clients often send me screenshots of charts and ask me to put them in presentations. Usually this means the chart doesn't come close to matching the presentation, and I cannot change the font or data color, the font size, etc. So I must recreate the chart. This can be painful.

There used to be an add-in called Grabit that added the image of the chart to a spreadsheet, prompted us…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. BUG: Stop 'Paste Formats' Overwriting Non Pivot Chart Data Source When Copying from PivotChart

I create a new chart with a new data source (non pivot table based), and want the formats from an existing chart to be used. However copying the existing chart (pivot table based), then selecting the new chart, selecting Paste Special: Formats, overwrites the actual data source of the new chart to the same as the old. Worse still, if you press undo, Excel forgets the original data source and unlinks the chart completely, so you need to redefine the data source, AND manually set the formats to match the preferred chart style. Please fix!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. The online templates available are SOOO old and outdated looking majority of the time, when can you start providing more current tables and

I'd love to assist in designing newer more modern looking charts for your galleries! They are always so old and outdated looking when I search for projects. LOVE using excel still, and Microsoft Suite!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow Source Change for Pivot Charts

Allow users to change the Chart Data Range to another pivot table. This will allow users to continue their "flow" of data exploration without having to either 1. overwrite their last pivot chart analysis or 2. break flow by re-generating the same visual but with slightly different inputs. It's also more natural than saving the chart template.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Kastengrafik

In der deutschen Version von Excel 2016 ist die Diagrammvorlage 'Kastengrafik' nicht wirklich sinnvoll nutzbar, da sie keine Spalten-bezogene Beschriftung der Rubrikenachse zulässt.
    Das Problem lässt sich nur mit der bereits im Excel 2013 nutzbaren Variante über den 'gestapelte Säulendiagramm'-Umweg lösen.
    (siehe angehängte Datei).
    Außerdem wäre die Bezeichnung 'Box-Whisker-Plot' für die Vorlage
    intuitiver.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. bug in points diagram

I believe there is a bug in data handling for a scatter plot (points diagram), when there are empty or pseudo empty cells in the data range: The diagram pretends to be a points diagram, and the data ranges are correctly defined. Nevertheless, the diagram does not show the X data on the horizontal axis, but their index. This should not happen, because it can lead to severely wrong conclusions! This came up in teaching. (The data in the file have been downloaded from a public website and thus are neither mine nor confidential.)

I would appreciate a fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Conditional formatting tables

Conditional formatting in tables, at the moment, attempting to apply conditional formatting to a table causes the document to become incredibly unstable especially as the database size grows. It's also incredibly unwieldy.

Conditional formatting in general should probably be updated to be more dynamic and consistent with other aspects of Excel, it doesn't appear that conditional formatting has changed much since much earlier versions of Excel.

PivotTables also automatically break conditional formatting of entire rows or columns of data. It would be nice to be able to apply conditional formatting dynamically to rows of data in PivotTables.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Graphically show alignment for objects (e.g charts)

If you have ever used Google Sheets and had to align multiple charts you will know exactly what I am referring to and if you have not you should go try it to see how easy it is. Excel should replicate the same thing.

For those unfamiliar see the attached screen print. Basically when there are more than 1 chart and you drag 1 of the charts it will visually display when charts are aligned (top, bottom, left, right, center) and it will align the gaps between multiple charts to get the spacing even.

It is soooooo easy compared to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base