Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. With Map Charts, Please Add Leader Lines So That You Can See the Data Labels In Small Geographic Areas

With Map Charts, I cannot see the data labels in small geographic areas. Can you please make them "editable" so that I can move/ resize them and/or add leader lines to the data labels so that the values can be properly displayed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Use conditions to govern the colour of chart lines and bars

Setting a target within chart formatting so that if a data set is above it can be say green and if below is could be red. The choice of colour and the target need to be the users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Zoom tool for graphs

Excel is great for quickly plotting and looking at data. But it falls short when the user wants to view a specific region in a graph or chart. The only way I know how to do this is to change the axes to 'force' zoom-in on a region, which is very clunky and slow. It would greatly improve the users ability to look at specific regions of the data quickly if there was a zoom in/out tool (similar to MATLAB's implementation) in the side toolbar that appears when hovering over the chart. Additionally, having a hand tool that, when zoomed…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve chart refreshing and interface with Access

Ideally, Access should have as good charting available as Excel, and they should both work the same. But despite recent improvements in Access charts, there are some things that it cannot do. I was able to easily link an Excel chart to an Access report, but the problem is that in a typical Access report the chart needs to use different data on each grouping on the report, and I've been unable to find a way to refresh the data and the chart in the linked spreadsheet / chart.

I've tried a different approach, using VBA code to manipulate an…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Auto resize y-axis primary and secondary axis

Want an option to auto resize resize the primary and secondary y-axis so the min/max changes, allowing for a more zoomed in look of data. This is necessary for non-static data where the axis is always changing. This can be done with VBA code, but not everyone has the chops for that. See line charts here to see exactly what I mean: https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/blog/vba-automatically-adjust-chart-y-axis-min-and-max-values

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Increase production capabilities!

Hey, I'm an old man. Used Excel for over 25 yrs.
    I want you to send someone down here and see how I use Office.
    Your commitment to the "ribbon" is not going to ward off the competition you face.
    You need to up your game and contribute to some increased interoperability functionality among your products!!!
    e.g. I have a spreadsheet with 20 graphs.
    Why cant I click a button and export them to separate slides in PowerPoint? Or to a Word doc? Heck I want to mail merge them to a Word doc!

You also need to improve your…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. In charts, create an option to align the 'zero' points of primary and secondary y-axes.

When charting to quite different datasets on a combo graph, there doesn't seem to be a way to force the 'zero' points of each y axis to align without weird hacks involving creating extra data series. For example, with revenue and costs on the left axis and margin % on the right axis, it becomes misleading when the vertical alignment of $0 isn't the same as 0%

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Excel Map still can not render value for the "Liberecký kraj"

Bing Maps (in Excel) don't know term "Liberecký kraj"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Data Bar Conditional formatting for Percentages does not work properly

If you create a data bar conditional format for a data set that includes both positive and negative percentages, and if you attempt to click on the button to show negative values in the same direction as positive, the functionality does not work. No matter how you change the minimum and maximum, either have it be a number or a percentage, it does not work properly. The attached file shows that the representation of the colors in the cell is not representative of the percentages within the cell. This is a glitch and defeats the purpose of this tool and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. histogram bins and bin widths

When making a histogram, you can either specify Bin Width or Number of Bins, but not both. You should be able to do both!!! Especially if you have to create multiple histograms to compare to one another. If the data is slightly different, excel is going to format them both differently and then you are unable to properly compare them.
    Also, if you try to create a histogram using the Data Analysis Tool Pack, it spaces out the bars making this a bar graph, NOT a histogram.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Map Charts not showing UK postcodes as being part of the UK

A Number of post code areas aren't listed as being part of the UK. When you used them in a map chart and set it to the country level the map will show the entire globe. At a local level they work perfectly in isolation but as soon as you want to see them at anything more than the individual area they don't correctly show. This happens at the postcode sector level on about 20 postcodes and on the Outcode N1P

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Map Charts not showing UK postcodes as being part of the UK

A Number of post code areas aren't listed as being part of the UK. When you used them in a map chart and set it to the country level the map will show the entire globe. At a local level they work perfectly in isolation but as soon as you want to see them at anything more than the individual area they don't correctly show. I've attached a workbook with showing this on the occurring on the Postcode Sector level and at the outcode level the same thing happens with N1P

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Charting Format

When charting a y versus an x function ( y=f( x) often there are no y values for a given x value. For a valid x range for which there are y=f(x) values, excel shows values of y(x) to be ZERO, even though they don't lie in the valid Y=f(x) range on the x axis.

Can your Excel team define a function for charting y=f(x) so that y(x)=0 does not show on the x axis, since they are not within the valid y=f(x) range.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow the use of Structured References in charts

I love using the structured references from my Excel tables in my formulas. Much easier to read! However, structured references cannot currently be used in Charts in Excel. It would be nice to be able to use structured references in my charts. For example, you could imagine a simple chart with [Date] as the X axis and [Sales] as the Y axis.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. A few versions ago I could easily create a simple chart. I now have version 10 of windows and Excel is no longer easy to use.

A few versions ago I could easily create a simple chart. I now have version 10 of windows and Excel is no longer easy to use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In-Cell bullet graph à la Conditional Formatting>>Data Bars style

Allow In-Cell bullet graph ────┼─ à la Conditional Formatting>>Data Bars style. A simple indicator with a target value that can be quickly added to rows of cells. Very useful for building dashboards in Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3D bubble chart

With today's advances in data and visualization, it is sometimes necessary to find ways to represent more and more relationships at the same time. The bubble chart currently allows 3 data points; X, Y, and size of bubble. There is a (I'd argue, misnamed) 3D bubble chart, but that is just a regular bubble chart with nicer graphics.

I'd like to propose a true 3D bubble chart that includes a Z axis in addition to X,Y, and size. The user would also need to be able to rotate the chart view to see true position.

In accordance with other suggestions…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base