Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ribbon size

Please allow users to opt for a smaller ribbon. Its actual size (especially after the October update) is fine only if you are working on a full HD monitor.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dark button indicating columns are filtered (versus the filter icon).

When a column filter is applied, the filter button(s) change to a filter with an super-small down arrow. If you have a large number of columns, and have zoomed out, it is IMPOSSIBLE to quickly scan and see which columns have a filter applied. Simply reverse the button color - if the column is filtered, use black button / white text.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keep existing window settings (zoom, panes, etc.) by default when opening new window

When a new window is opened, the window settings such as zoom level, freeze panes, view/hide gridlines, etc. are ignored in the new window. It seems common sense that by default, I would want to start with the same settings as I already had.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. The 'tab bar' should be mouse wheel scrollable like the 'ribbon bar'

The 'tab bar' should be mouse wheel scrollable like the 'ribbon bar'

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Open only one Excel spreadsheet at a time when starting Excel.

I'd like for Excel spreadsheets that are minimized to STAY minimized when I open another Excel file. I often have Excel Files open for daily data entries (e.g. people who enter my office without an appointment and why). These files don't need to open when doing my work (invoicing, analysis, charting, etc.). Just keep the other instances minimized until I want them. They'll know because I would click on them. Just an option to "Keep other instances minimized when opening Excel file"

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please make Excel again obey the "Scroll inactive windows" setting in Windows 10

An update within the last quarter of 2020 messed with excel and the "Scroll inactive windows" setting for windows 10 is now no longer followed by Excel

Please fix this once again.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Excel / Office customization to make High Contrast themes workable

Issue:

Excel is unworkable in high contrast themes. Dark black cells with white borders cause more eye strain for someone who needs dark screens but not necessarily high contrast. There is no option for making it another color (e.g. grey) or to show font colors. This issue reported by multiple users since at least 2010.

Ask:

Options to fix this issue
    1. Allow excel customization for high contrast / default themes to select a custom background, text, and border color. Allow text and cell colors
    2. Option to exclude selected office application from high contrast windows theme
    3. Insert a…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Reference R1C1 in the list of commands for the QAT

Sometimes it's interesting to display number as column header instead of the letter.
    The only way to do that now is to change the options Formula to R1C1
    I would like to toogle the reference of my workbook by adding an option in the Quick Access Toolbar. But this option doesn't exist yet.

So please vote for this idea is you want to toogle quickly the reference A1 to R1C1

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. sheet navigation

It would be nice to have a button on the sheets navigation area which will take me to the 1st sheet in the current workbook. Currently, i need to Right click and select from the list of pages displayed.

When I have many sheets and I create a TOC using hyperlinks in the 1st sheet, it will be very easy for me to go back to the TOC sheet by clicking this button.

Thanks

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Prevent window from changing positions after clicking "Enable Editing" on a Protected View worksheet

When a worksheet opens in Protected View, and I click "Enable Editing," the worksheet window disappears for a split-second and then reappears in a different position on my screen. This is a disorienting visual experience, and I have to move the window back to the position where I want it to be. I don't see any reason why the window should change positions, and I consider this behavior to be a bug. Please fix this in a future update.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. View side by side in Excel 2016 is AWFUL!

What the heck happened in Excel 2016? I used to use the 'view side by side' function a lot in older versions of Excel, but in the new version it is virtually rendered unusable due to the duplicated ribbon/formula bar. What was wrong with the way it was done in older versions?? I can't see enough of either worksheet to be useful any more. Please fix this!!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. scrolling worksheet tabs

The worksheet tabs at the bottom could use a button to jump to the first and last worksheet (rather than 1 at a time scrolling back and forth). Necessary for large workbooks.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. sheet tabs

Navigating an Excel document that has many sheets is cumbersome. Allow users to display more than one row of sheets or allow user to display and organize sheets in some helpful way. Scrolling left and right all the time gets old.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Split Scree from Slide Bars instead of just Menu

Previous versions of Excel had the ability to split the screen by dragging handles from vertical and horizontal slide bars. Now you can only initiate the split from the menu. The old way gave much more control over this feature. Please restore this feature.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide the zoom in and zoom out view in the print preview mode

Provide the zoom in and zoom out view in the print preview mode

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Don't Allow Modal Dialogs to Go Behind Excel Windows

The move in Excel 2013 to use an SDI instead of an MDI has caused some rather serious problems with modal dialogs. There are many ways this can bite you, but the easiest one to describe in this forum is this:

1. Open Excel 2013 or 2016
    2. Make sure there are two different workbooks open and maximize both their windows.
    3. Go to VBA and in the immediate window type MsgBox "X" and execute it.
    4. The display switches back to the active spreadsheet and there's a "X" in a modal dialog on top of it, as expected.
    5. Now in the Windows taskbar,…
    8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Remove the feature where clicking at the top or bottom of a cell takes you to top or bottom of the spreadsheet

Remove the feature (or make it optional) where clicking at the top or bottom of a cell takes you to top or bottom of the spreadsheet. Inadvertent clicks make it infuriating.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add an option to set workbook search as default.

Currently every time you search an excel workbook it will only search the current sheet, you have to change this option every time as you want to search the workbook entirely. Personally, I never want to search just the sheet. I always want to search the entire workbook. At least allow us to configure a default for this. So for someone like me we can set it to search the workbook by default every time we search.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Scrolling with large cells

Scrolling with large cells is usually a nightmare, when are Microsoft going to do something about this

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Tabs on the side

I work with loads of tabs and spend too much time scrolling left / right. Can the tabs go on the side of the spreadsheet with a scrollbar? Should be a nice fix that can be made optional for users!

I can imagine huge cost savings for any company using big spreadsheets

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base