Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel doesn't respect mouseover scrolling behaviour

Windows 10 finally adopted the Mac/Linux mousewheel scrollling behaviour where you can scroll the window beneath the cursor with the mouse wheel (or touchpad gestures) rather than the window that has focus, by default. However, Excel doesn't seem to respect this.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Can we please bring the Split Box Control back? The new way ("Split Window" command) is awkward.

Please bring the Split Box Control back. This new way with the "Split Window" command is very frustrating.

It was so easy to split panes before! But now I have to first click in a cell (and lose my current selection, by the way), and then either switch from using the mouse to do a keyboard shortcut (that beeps at me for some reason), or else navigate to a different tab & click a button, just to split the panes.

Then re-do my selection & navigate back to the tab I really want to be working in.

This change actively…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Do not make Synchronous Scrolling the default when viewing side by side

I often have multiple files open, and need to view & use two of them simultaneously. Using "View Side by Side" is more convenient than "Arrange All", because it allows me to select exactly which two files I need to see at the same time. However "View Side by Side" defaults to "Synchronous Scrolling", which I need to immediately turn off since the two files I'm using are never the same. (If they were the same I'd create a "New Window", and "Arrange All, Windows of Active Workbook".) Since "Synchronous Scrolling" is the default, the view of the two files…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Opening the main Excel window in a default size and position specified by the user

We like to open the main Excel window in the same position on our desktop each time. The only way we can do this is to assure that the last closed window was in the desired location when closed. This is because new windows open in the same size and position as the last closed window.

The problem arises when you open multiple worksheets, which automatically arrange themselves or are moved by the user to other temporary locations. Closing any of these windows last sets a new undesired default for the next session of Excel.

Another problem is that t…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. List of tabs

Listing of tabs (vertical) to behave the same way as the horizontal tabs. Meaning we can hide, show, change color, see color, and rename tabs from the list view instead of horizontal view. With lots of tabs, the horizontal tab view is impractical and since very view people use the list view, it would be a good area to experiment added functionality.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Go back to 2010 QAT icon sizes

Use the smaller sizes so we can get more icons on the QAT bar.

Also, as others have suggested, increase the number of icons we can choose from.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable existing "Custom View" feature to work with tables

The existing "Custom View" feature works well. But it doesn't work for tables? Why not? That would be so handy. As well, it would be nice to be able to overwrite a custom view rather than have to save a new one and delete the old one.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ctrl+Tab to switch between worksheets (2)

Re the earlier idea being declined.

Ctrl+ page up/down only cycles sequentially thru sheets.

What was asked for was the ability to toggle between the two last opened sheets, regardless of where they are situated relative to each other.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Let me open two copies of a workbook with the same name. PLEASE

Working on various different clients we often have standardised workbooks names. It would be very useful to be able to compare these quickly without having to save one of them locally under a different names.

Cheers microsoft

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to RE-FREEZE PANEs at Current Cell Location

I'd like to be able to RE-FREEZE PANES at the current cell location instead of having to UNFREEZE PANES and then having to FREEZE PANES again.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. text box bullet points

The text box feature is useful for posting instructions to users of a Workbook. I would like to see it able to use bullet point formatting. Currently, it seems like the paragraph wrap-around does not work properly after editing.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow sheets to float - detach from the workbook tab bar to show more than one at once

Many users are now using multiple screens, and complex multi-sheet workbooks. You should allow excel to detach sheets from the tab bar, to allow several to be open at once (within the same workbook) This would allow users to change variables on one sheet and observe effects in graphs or results sheets without having to switch between them each time. It would also allow workbooks to spill over onto a second screen to make better use of the available space.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I would love the option to disable F1 from calling up the Help window, or to enable closing the Help window with the Escape key

One of the very common things I do in Excel is to go down a column and edit each value. So on the highlighted cell I press the 'F2' key so I can edit. I enter or change the value in the cell then press 'Enter' to get to the next row. I press 'F2' again, repeat until the end.

The problem is that very often I accidentally press the 'F1' key when I'm reaching for 'F2'. This of course opens the Help window. My natural inclination is to press 'Esc' to close the window (just like with the Find/Replace…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please stop destroying short cut keys

This latest update makes reopening a recent file a big pain. I'm a power user who uses short cut keys almost exclusively. After a major bout of tendonitis/mouse-itis, I learned most of the short cut keys (in the 1990's). I'm glad that most of them still work. They are efficient and save so much time and effort. However, every update seems to mess them up. I have 2 files pinned that are huge so I often have to open and close them. I used to just hit Alt F, R, 1 (or 2). One update a while back messed up…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Why did Microsoft make the asinine decision to eliminate the sub-windows in Excel that so many of us prefer over the new forced new windows

Why did Microsoft make the asinine decision to eliminate the sub-windows in Excel that so many of us prefer over the new forced new windows for every new workbook? I'm extremely frustrated by their decision to remove a feature for no good reason except that they seem to think they know what's best for all of us. Thanks, dictators!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When opening a spreadsheet when Excel is minized do NOT first bring to the desktop an already opened/minized spreadsheet

When opening a workbook that I have saved on my hard drive, if I already have an open workbook that is minimized, excel first brings up the minimized workbook to the desktop and the foreground, then displays the one you are opening. Now, to get back to the desktop view I had before opening my workbook I have to minimize 2 workbooks.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Have a way to set default open behavior to Open Excel in a New Instance

Currently Excel opens each workbook in a new window, but it is not a new Instance of Excel. The only way I've found to truly open in a new instance is to right click on Excel in the Taskbar then and then while holding down the "Alt" key left click on "Excel 2016". That would be fine except if I open something from the web it goes into a random instance that I have open. It is difficult to tell which files are open in which instances since they all "look" like they are in different instances.

Some of my…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. freeze heading row

Typical scenario:
    - Freeze the heading row of data
    - When you scroll down, the only way to see you have moved down is to look at the row indicators. When copying and pasting or updating formulas in a many col spreadsheet, this sometimes leads to silly errors.
    - Can the separator below the freezed row (i.e. headings) change to a different colour when you have scrolled down, e.g. blue, or the row ids change color (as they do for a filter).

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Have a double freeze feature.

I need a double / multiple freeze feature. Imagine columns A to F - I have a sheet where I would like to freeze columns A & F so that I could horizontally scroll columns B, C , D and E - e.g. scroll through a defined mid-section.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Scroll Worksheet like a web page, not by row height.

If I scroll 1/4", I want the worksheet page to scroll 1/4", not 2" due to in-view row height. Currently, if I stop scrolling with the top/bottom portion of a row that is off-screen, Excel jumps to either row top or bottom. This makes it impossible to scroll a large cell's contents. I want Excel to visually preserve my scroll position.

Stop making Excel jump to the next/previous logical cell top/bottom postion on screen.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base