Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I recommend an export feature for a single cell or a page. What I mean is exporting the data pertaining to one line, so that you have a text

I can't see the forest for the trees. The concept here is when you are trying to get familiar with a bit of data in a sheet, you can make a data chip. Chit. A note. You export a little bit of data as a file, and you have a reminder for a new bit of data you are working on remembering. Export a line of data.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a popup window for list of items that need to be summarized in a cell

Often there is a need for lists of data that are summarized into larger tables. Although this data can be created on a separate tab, this can be cumbersome when trying to go between tabs to see what the data is. This problem can be mitigated by creating a pop-up window to see the data that is being summarized in the cell. The data would still be stored in a separate tab, but the pop-up window will allow for quick reference to that data. The window would open either with a right-click or just a mouse-over on the cell, much…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. new window

I really have to give you credit for devising this way to avoid receiving actual feedback. WHY in the WORLD you ever thought restricting Excel to only one window... the only reason I can think that you would do that is that you have only contempt for your users, and want to make using your product as difficult as possible for them. My God, do I HATE you, Microsoft.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Position of Comments/ Notes

The comments in a spread sheet should stay positioned to the parent cells - whenever some rows are deleted. None of the three options are doing that. The attachment with variations - the original , in one I have deleted few rows, in another one column, and in third changed column width - in none of the cases the change was done in the Parent Row/ Column - but the cells changed their position - and the things become worse - much worse - when cells from different areas are deleted.
    Sometimes these columns move 100s of cells away (when…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The ability to have 2 fill colours, and 2 Font colours on the quick access toolbar

The ability to have 2 fill colours, and 2 Font colours on the quick access toolbar

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Pin different rows, depending on viewed section of the speadsheet

I got a speadsheet with two blocks of tables, one below the other.
    When i scroll down, I want the first five rows of the first block to be pinned, until I've scrolled down to the second block. As the first row of the second block comes into view I want the first five rows of the second block to the pinned instead of the rows of the first block.

I've seen this several times in webpages, so there're definitely more people who would use this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Slim tools bars

Like done in Outlook, there could be a slim view of the tools.
    Probably it will be better to customize what buttons the user wants to see there.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Default background colours make the screen difficult to read for people with vision problems

Darken the default background colours so people with vision difficulties can see much better.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix Notes in Selection Pane Description

Fix Selection Pane to properly show Notes. Currently, Notes shown in the Selection Pane display as "Comment 1", etc. Should say "Note 1"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Microsoft Excel 2016 - Proposed Solution "to show the current page number"

I would like to ask Microsoft Excel team to show the page number at the bottom bar permanently (the same as we get the total cells, or sum of cells) because sometimes we add so many pictures, that hide the "Page break preview", so the number of the current page is NOT shown.

Below is the proposed solution to fix this issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. There should be way to hide the columns without the indicators visible to other

we should be able to hide columns without other users noticing the same

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. go back

Go back about ten years. After 35 years of using excel the software doesn't work as well for me now as it did ten years ago except that it may be faster but ends up slower as many of the shortcuts I have learned over the years do not work now.
    The idea is to make available to us who want it the software of ten years ago.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Making Room In Title Bar To Drag While Minimized

Dear Office Team, I do not have enough space in my title bar to be able to move my application window while minimized. I understand you have new features but I need to drag my application windows like always before while minimized or reduced in size and now have no space where in the title bar to click to drag. It has my username, file information and so on and so forth (i assume important information on some context while minimized, but I know who I am already and I know I am already logged in, for example, no need…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Workbook Cross Reference Function

I like Excel's Trace Dependants and Trace Precedents feature. Please improve upon this ability with a CrossReference(Range) function that produces a cross reference showing every cell in the Range and where that cell is referenced by a formula.

I know we can do this with the Find feature, but it would be easier to get a cross reference for every cell in the sheet, rather than having to search for this on a cell by cell basis.

Cell ID Location 1 Location 2 Location n
    A1 B1 B2 …

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. On the View -- View side by side option

Make the Synchronous Scrolling an OPTION instead of a Default setting. I rarely use it in synchronous mode. Moreover, If I'm comparing a short file to a large file, it will take me to the end of both wasting extra time in trying to get back to where I was when I hit View side by side. It would also be nice if excel didn't try to determine where you are in a file to view. It should bring up both at the point you had them.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Worksheets undocking.

It would be nice if individual worksheets in an Excel file could be undocked for editing. That would be a cool feature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. One suggestion to Excel Group and Ungroup function

Hello! As an active Excel user, I have noted one possible useful addition to the functionality of Excel sheets. When demonstrating presentations and having some lines/columns grouped and hidden on the active sheet it would be useful to have an option to set a password for unhiding lines/columns with secret information (for example salary details). We had some occasions when such information was opened just by unintentionally tapping on (+) sign near the hided grouped raws.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Protected and hidden content in an excel file is visible when opening in a smartphone.

Protected and hidden content in an excel file is visible when opening in a smartphone (iPhone 5s), ipad 2

Steps 1: Excel file was created with few columns hidden and worksheet was protected.

Step 2: File was sent through email

Step 3: File was open through the email, in a smart phone and also in ipad.

Output: The file showed the hidden content. Luckily, the file was verified before sending to public.

Hidden content doesn't fully work with all devices.

It works perfect where microsoft office is installed. If microsoft office ios not there in any device the system somehow…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 27 28 29 31 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base