Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. View multiple worksheets in a single Excel window

Excel 2016 when opened opens only one instance. The ability in Excel 2016 to open multiple spreadsheets in the same Excel 2016 window was discontinued since Excel 2013.
    I just moved from Excel 2010 and miss this feature. You cannot one click minimize all Excel windows as a group, each frame includes menu, toolbar, entry bar... so much less data display room (difficult to quickly toggle these at once to maximize data display room. Difficult to arrange to compare multiple Excel windows with a pptx or docx as Excel arrange all uses the entire screen to layout the worksheets rather…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug: Excel previewer does not load preview for file with .XLSX extension

If I select on a file with .Xlsx, .XLSX (extension not all in lower case) , then it wont show the preview on Windows Explorer Preview Pane.

Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit Excel 2016-32 bits

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tab tree

It would be extremely helpful if the first "tab" of a workbook was a tree (similar to Windows Explorer) that listed all the tabs in the workbook and also allowed grouping of tabs. The tree could link to all the tabs and if a group of tabs were grouped, then it would expand that group and show the tabl in the group you selected.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Word Processor sheet in a workbook

I often have to include extensive notes, or an introduction to explain the use or purpose of a spreadsheet.
    It would be good if there was a type of worksheet that could be inserted that was basically just a Word document.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Show Pinned not Recent on excel startup

Upon opening excel it use to show pinned files alphabetically with recent files below by date and time. Now the tabs are separate and when excel opens is displays recent not pinned, I have to click on pinned to get that list. Make a General Option to open to recent or pinned based on user preference.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When protecting Sheets, allow grouping/ungrouping

There is currently no option to allow Grouping/Ungrouping when protecting a Sheet.
    The only way to do so is with VBA.
    Since we are sharing a comprehensive document with tons of calculations with multiple people we want to keep it Macro-free.

Could you please add this to the list of things you can allow on a sheet?

Thanks!

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. sheet tabs

Navigating an Excel document that has many sheets is cumbersome. Allow users to display more than one row of sheets or allow user to display and organize sheets in some helpful way. Scrolling left and right all the time gets old.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multiple Level Worksheet Option

I have workbooks that have 70+ worksheets used for quoting (product, customer, pricing, etc.). It is becoming increasingly difficult to manage this many worksheets. I would love to be able to characterize each worksheet (e.g. under the Product worksheet, there would be sub-worksheets for Product1, Product2, Product3, etc.). Then I could perform functions (hide, un-hide, protect, print, etc.) at either a worksheet level or the sub-worksheet level.

Related to this, I would love to be able to create a worksheet that would allow the user to specify what worksheets or sub-worksheets are applicable to this quote and all others are…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please allow for expansion of all text boxes (e.g. when tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d))

When tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d), Excel does not allow you to expand the text box so that you can see the whole reference to the cell, making life difficult when tracing dependents.

And I am sure there are lots of other cases when the same applies, so please can you make this simple update to Excel to expand any text box.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. GET YOUR DOPEY_FUCKING_TEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOU_FUCKED_UP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKING_BAD_ALREADY.

GET YOUR DOPEYFUCKINGTEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOUFUCKEDUP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKINGBADALREADY. DOES YOUR SHITWARE ADD-IN REALLY DO ANYTHING USEFUL OTHER THAN OBSCURE OR HIDE THE ACTUAL ACTIONS I AM LOOKING FOR? ******** MICROSOFT,SUCK MY FUCKINGDICK.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. KEEP UNFOCUSED WORKBOOK ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED

OPTION TO KEEP ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN UNFOCUSED AND IN ANOTHER APPLICATION

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show selected cells, rows, columns when window is inactive

Currently selected cells, rows, and columns are invisible when the Excel window is inactive and another window is in the foreground. I would rather have selected cells in an inactive window be visually highlighted, perhaps with a special inactive color, rather than be invisible. This would help me cross-reference information from other programs with large Excel spreadsheets.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. side by side - the old way

Can you please bring back the old way of side by side? It used to be that they shared a formula bar and ribbon, and that allowed for more of the spreadsheets to be seen. Now, each spreadsheet has an independent formula bar and ribbon and that takes up usable space. Plus, creature of habit here, I constantly go to the top to make an edit when it's for the bottom sheet, and it makes it on the top. I posted about this (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_other/side-by-side-with-just-one-ribbon/c699f0c5-c702-480d-b63a-c1d1d5d044d3) and it was suggested that I submit it here. I might be the only…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Drop Down Navigation Menu for Sheets

Hi,

I am finding that Excel is actually a great way to organise my ideas / Notes. I can quickly zoom in & Out on each sheet quickly seeing how my ideas are mapped together.

BUT...
    To navigate between sheets is a major pain.
    It is also very hard to quickly summarise all the sheets like an index or contents in a book.

I would strongly recommend a drop down OR drop up Navigation list of sheets like most websites use to navigate.Further, it should be organised into categories so the current tabs at the bottom (when Clicked ) provide…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I want to define my own Office Theme (to go along with White, Light, Dark, and Black)

I want to change excel theme to whatever I like and whatever color I want so please enable this option, right now there is only 3 themes so I can choose only want

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bring back multiple windows in one session

Bring back multiple windows in one instance of Excel.
    For 15+ years I have been using a To-do list that relies on having three different windows on one screen. This makes it easy to navigate between worksheets on my laptop. When my office adopted Excel 2013 I could no longer use this file on my office desktop without losing the window sizes and shapes I had carefully devised. Moreover, my three windows now have three truncated ribbons, instead of a single ribbon for the three. As I rely heavily on a customized ribbon for Excel functionality, I lose easy access…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ctrl-tab to move between workbooks (reinstate previous versions feature)

IN older versions of Excel ctrl-tab used to cycle through open workbooks in a really straightforward sequential order.

In Excel 2016 (and 2013?) this very useful navigation shortcut (it all happens on the left hand only) has been replaced with a very frustrating sequence of:

Original wbook --> Other wbook 1 --> Original wbook --> Other wbook 2 --> Original wbook --> Other wbook 3 etc.

For users who are in multiple workbooks most of the time (most power users) this is incredibly frustrating.
    I understand Alt-tab switches between workbooks as each is their own instance, however this is not…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. A "tree" view like worksheet explorer for grouping worksheet and navigating worksheets. Similar to windows explorer for files/folders n

A "tree" view of worksheets explorer. For grouping of worksheet and navigation of worksheets. Similar to Windows explorer for files/folders management and navigation. The "tree" worksheet explorer shall appear vertically at the side of the excel software window. This will also speed up the navigation when compare to navigating the worksheets by scrolling the worksheets horizontally

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring back the split button (scroll bars)

Dear MS Office team,

In the 2016 version of Excel, you have removed the 'Split' tool from the scroll bars.

I know that you can do it using View -> Split, but that is a very inefficient way of doing it. Previously, we would drag either the horizontal or vertical button from the scroll bar to create the split. One click. Now, we need to (1) click View, (2) click Split, (3) remove the split that we don't want, then (4) adjust the split that we do want.

Please reconsider bringing this small but very useful button back.

Thank you

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Grouping Sheets

Group sheets helps to access the when there are more number of sheets

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base