Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Active Cell auto-highlights cell row and column

I believe it would be useful to automatically highlight (in a colour chosen by the user but a default lightly-noticeable colour e.g. lightgrey would be good) the row and column associated with the active cell(s)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Investing in Stock market record Template

Need a Generic template to record Key Company Financial parameters plus user Buy/sell records for investing

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide a standard function called "Last()" which will find (and/or go to) the last populated cell, column or row in a worksheet

This function would find (and/or go to) the address of:

(a) the last populated cell in a designated column or row or range in a specified worksheet; OR

(b) the last populated row or column in a worksheet.

These would be particularly helpful options when, for example, the user wants to specify the extent of a range, which has a moving target for the last cell in the desired range.

Similarly, a function called "First()" would help in finding and/or specifying the start of a desired range in a worksheet.

It might even be practical for any such functions to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Scroll between tabs with mouse scroll wheel

Excel should let you scroll from one tab to the next by just using the mouse scroll wheel. Google Sheets has this functionality and it's really convenient.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow Outlining (Grouping/Ungrouping) for protected worksheets without the need for VBA

Excel should allow for outlining (Grouping/Ungrouping) for protected worksheets without the need for VBA. A user should be able to still select the + and - expand/collapse buttons for grouped rows or columns, when a sheet is protected. There is a VBA work around for this, but not all users can have macros enabled on their networks and some users may even struggle to open Macro-enabled workbooks. There should be a select/deselect option when protecting a worksheet, to allow/disallow the clicking of the + or - group buttons. Ultimately, it's only to allow a user to expand these groups from…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Create row and column 0

Create a row and/or column 0 where we can put our titles. That way, when we check the line number, we can see how many items are in the table, not having to exclude the the title's one or more rows.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Reinstate original freeze panes options

Please reinstate all original freeze panes options:
    Freeze pane rows above selected row (toggle with "Unfreeze pane rows...")
    Freeze pane columns to the right of the selected column (toggle with "Unfreeze pane columns...")
    Unfreeze all panes

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Reinstate original freeze panes options

Please reinstate all original freeze panes options:
    Freeze pane rows above selected row (toggle with "Unfreeze pane rows...")
    Freeze pane columns to the right of the selected column (toggle with "Unfreeze pane columns...")
    Unfreeze all panes

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Have the option to turn on scroll cross hatch

When working on large spreadsheets it would be good to have a scroll bar on both the rows and columns. The horizontal line would mark what row you were on.
    Likewise, the vertical line would indicate what column the data is in.

The old mainframe terminals used to have that function .

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve the Go To box or the Name Manager box

Make the Go To box resizable. Then if you have long Names, you can make them visible.
    Add a search field in the Go To box, that shows matching Names as you type (similar to when typing a Formula). Then if you have many Names, you can find them quicker.
    Make it so you can sort the Names list alphabetically or by frequency of use - not sure how it currently sorts, but it doesn't show all names alphabetically sorted.
    Include a column showing Name Comments, so you can see any descriptions of what the Names are for.
    Basically, make…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Remove jump to selected cell when switching workbooks Excel

Currently, when switching between workbooks, when you select a different workbook it will jump to the selected cell, even if you have scrolled to a different location

I suggest removing this function or introduce a shortcut key instead of defaulting this action.

I do not have any use cases where the jump to selected cell is useful, and in fact I find it a major annoyance when scrolling through spreadsheets and finding it will always jump back to some random cell that was last selected rather than where I am currently viewing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. "Pin to Frozen"

I like freezing columns and rows, but in very large sheets, I sometimes want to freeze one of the columns in the middle of my range. I have this idea where I would right click on a column letter and select "Pin to Frozen" which lifts that column and sends it to the right-hand side (maybe even as part of a stack of frozen columns). It makes freezing more accessible and also saves time hiding and unhiding columns.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Shortcut for changing sheets

There is no shortcut for switching sheets within workbook. Such shortcut would be very useful. I suggest Ctrl+Tab as this is common shortcut for switching tab like controls.

Actually, Ctrl+Tab for next sheet and Ctrl+Shift+Tab for previous sheet.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add Focus View,

Add a " focus" view where when we position into a cell the rest of the cells from the same row and column get shaded, this way wen can be sure we are in the correct line or column or compare to another data in the same focus area

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. View multiple sheets side-by-side

Having multiple worksheets in one Excel file, it would be nice to view multiple worksheets within Excel at the same time

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Shade the other rows or columns while navigating a specific row/column on a crowded Excel sheet

I have a large worksheet and I often need to scroll right a specific row to find relevant data to that row only. Can you make other rows darker while navigating? Perhaps you can just make the rows not selected a bit darker than the selected row. Same principle may apply to selected columns or even ranges.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Excel viewer for smartphones

Hi, I have Excel for iPhone on my phone but all the functionality included makes it extremely difficult to use in many ways including simply viewing a spreadsheet... could we please have an Excel viewer which has no editing capability but which allows easy viewing of spreadsheets... it should have scrolling and zooming using normal smartphone finger movements and definitely maintain the Freeze Panes settings of the "imported" file...the ability to view spreadsheets using such an app would be hugely better than using the Excel for smartphone app...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base