Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New Window Maintain Zoom Level

Duplicate the Zoom Level from the active window when I click on New Window. Currently jumps to 100%.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow excel files to be moved to second screen without having to open program twice.

I have two screens but if I want to display and work on two or more excel files on separate files then I need to open the program a number of times and then open the file within that open file. Word allows you to open and move any number of documents to a second screen, I don't understand why you can't do it in excel. Cheers. Matt

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Word Processor sheet in a workbook

I often have to include extensive notes, or an introduction to explain the use or purpose of a spreadsheet.
    It would be good if there was a type of worksheet that could be inserted that was basically just a Word document.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Freeze pane for bottom row(s) of a range

It would be good to be able to freeze one or more bottom lines (as well as the headers) of a range or table to be able to keep things like totals in view at all times.
    Similarly, freezing columns on the right hand side of the sheet would be useful sometimes.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sheet list window/dialog is too small at just 289px*249px. Use a task pane instead.

In Excel 2010 the Sheet list window/dialog is just 289px*249px (and in Excel 2016 it is not much different). That's insanely small for today's monitors, and it results in not showing the full list of sheets in most of my workbooks.

I'd like to see this replaced by a task pane navigation that separates worksheets from chartsheets, allows sorting, maybe shows you a thumbnail, lists Headings inside each worksheet (which right now are of little use in Excel as compared to Word)... More in general, improve sheet navigation, which also has become much slower in Excel 2013+ in comparizon with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. freeze heading row

Typical scenario:
    - Freeze the heading row of data
    - When you scroll down, the only way to see you have moved down is to look at the row indicators. When copying and pasting or updating formulas in a many col spreadsheet, this sometimes leads to silly errors.
    - Can the separator below the freezed row (i.e. headings) change to a different colour when you have scrolled down, e.g. blue, or the row ids change color (as they do for a filter).

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ctrl+Tab to switch between worksheets (2)

Re the earlier idea being declined.

Ctrl+ page up/down only cycles sequentially thru sheets.

What was asked for was the ability to toggle between the two last opened sheets, regardless of where they are situated relative to each other.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove the feature where clicking at the top or bottom of a cell takes you to top or bottom of the spreadsheet

Remove the feature (or make it optional) where clicking at the top or bottom of a cell takes you to top or bottom of the spreadsheet. Inadvertent clicks make it infuriating.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Excel in Windows 10 requires 2 Alt-tabs to switch away from Excel

In Windows 10, Excel seems to require 2 Alt-tabs in order to switch away from the application whereas all other programs (including office programs like PPT or Word) only require 1. Can you figure out why this is happening?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Do not make Synchronous Scrolling the default when viewing side by side

I often have multiple files open, and need to view & use two of them simultaneously. Using "View Side by Side" is more convenient than "Arrange All", because it allows me to select exactly which two files I need to see at the same time. However "View Side by Side" defaults to "Synchronous Scrolling", which I need to immediately turn off since the two files I'm using are never the same. (If they were the same I'd create a "New Window", and "Arrange All, Windows of Active Workbook".) Since "Synchronous Scrolling" is the default, the view of the two files…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Alphabetically sort sheets/worksheets in a workbook

When working with large data sets, I often ended up with 50+ sheets of data, and each sheet was named by a given convention. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to sort them alphanumerically without a macro. Giving the user the ability to sort so that a1 is first then a2,b1,b2,etc rather than having to sort by hand or use a macro would be seriously amazing.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for suggesting this. We do think there is value in this idea, but we don’t think that we’ll be able to devote time to it in the near future. We’ll keep tracking the votes on this.

-Eric Patterson
    Excel Program Manager

12. Visually show which cells are selected even when another application has focus

Currently, when I select one or more cells and then switch to another application, the boundary box and shading for the selected cells are not shown. Other Office applications exhibit this behavior as well--selection highlighting is only displayed when the program has focus. Many (most?) non-Office applications show the highlighting at all times.

It would be far more useful to be able to glance at the spreadsheet and see which cells are selected, even when working in another program.

650 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Option to allow overlapping window to always be on top

When working with overlapping windows of excel it would advantageous if we had the option to treat them like shapes and layer them so that you could work on a window that sits in the back while watching the effect it has on a smaller window that sits on top/in the front. The current set up always bring forward the most active window.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 657 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

138 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking your time to suggest and vote for this. We do think that this suggestion has merit, but we don’t think that we’ll be able to devote time to it in the near future. We’ll continue tracking votes for it so we know how it ranks among the other suggestions.

15. QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

94 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
    - trying to position a shape
    - Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

3,660 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

995 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news! We’ve started working on this suggestion, and we’re currently testing the improved scrolling experience in our lab. It will allow you to stop partway through the row or column. The sheet will no longer need to snap to the top and left edge of the cells. Since scrolling is such a fundamental and highly used action in Excel, it may take a while to get it right. We hope to have it ready within a few months, but can’t provide an exact target date just yet. Thanks again for all your support and patience for this long awaited improvement.

We’ll post an update here when we start rolling it out for you to try. It will be made available to Office Insiders first. Here’s how you can join – https://insider.office.com/en-us/join/windows.

Thanks – Steve [Microsoft Excel]

17. Worksheet groupings

Workbooks with many worksheets can be difficult to navigate. One poster has suggested having multiple levels to the worksheet tabs.

As an extension to this, we could have worksheet groupings where several worksheets could be contained within a grouping. You could then select a particular grouping (which would look like worksheet tabs and be placed below the actual worksheet tabs) and then have access to all the worksheets in that particular grouping. There would also be an 'All' grouping that contained all the worksheets.

These grouping could be included in the workbook protection so that you could choose which worksheet…

116 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 27 28 29 31 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base