Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keyboard Command Navigation for Fill Color

I used to be able to use CTRL+H+H+Left Arrow keys to wrap to the right side of the fill color choices. Now, that combo goes to 'No Fill'. Why did that change? Bring back the ability to wrap from the left side to the right side using the left arrow key.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow freezing of Worksheet Tabs when tab Scrolling (like Freeze Panes but for Worksheets)

We've been using 'Freeze Panes' for years, superb, however if you have a massive Workbook with many Worksheets and wish for one Worksheet (call it 'Summary' as per attached demo spreadsheet) to be frozen so when you scroll across your Worksheets you can always see it for a quick return to this Summary worksheet, that would make navigation nice and quick.
    I know workaround's exist (creating a hyperlink on each page; right click the worksheet navigation arrows and scrolling to the desired worksheet) but this would be far more user friendly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop hiding workbook sheet names with ellipsis when viewing any sheet in an open workbook; reveal all sheet names at all times.

I don't know who the "rocket surgeon" was that deciding to hide sheet names with an ellipsis in an open workbook was a good idea. It's STUPID, and frustrating. I've been using spreadsheets since Lotus 1-2-3, before there was even such a thing as Excel, and I had grown accustomed to seeing the names of all the sheets in my currently-open workbooks. I would click on the bottom NAMED tab of a sheet I would want to open, and voilà!

Now, it's impossible. Only the name of the currently open sheet is legible; the rest are obscured with ellipses. What…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Create a keyboard shortcut to jump to the first row of a column

I'm aware that excel already has the shortcut 'ctrl + ↑ ' to jump to the top of a selection. But that shortcut will only take you to the top of a column if the column data is contiguous i.e no gaps/nan cells are present in the column. If there are gaps this shortcut will move the active cell to the cell below the next gap.

It seems a no-brainer then to add a shortcut to allow for easy movement to the top of the column. An equivalent keyboard shortcut is already present for moving to the first cell of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Named & Styled Groups

At present, we have the ability to create groups of columns or rows which are automatically numbered and present as a plus/minus above the columns or beside the rows. It would be nice if you could set it up so that instead of plus/minus you could assign names that show up as tabs you can click to expand. Also at the moment, the plus/minus sits on the right side of a group, it would make more sense to have this on the left side of the group so you do not need to scroll all the way to the right…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make zooming less awkward (zoom to mouse pointer)

Seamlessly zoom to the mouse cursor/pointer, not to the selected cell.

When browsing in larger Excel files (e.g. with data and visualizations) and scrolling around, then zooming to have a closer look at charts makes Excel do very weird stuff jumping around to the active cell - this makes it impossible to focus on the data to work. If at least it would always center the active cell, this would be helpful but the zooming behavior seems to be pretty random/unpredictable.
    When zooming and scrolling, it would be very nice to seamlessly move around and not align the upper left…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Goto Sheet option in Excel Workbooks

When we are working with a workbook with large number of sheets, it is a challenge navigating between different sheets.

It would be great if you can introduce a GoTo <sheet #> option which can assist in navigation better

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Excel - Float Scroll

When using excel.
    It doesn't matter where you are on the sheet, you can click the right mouse button, and show the scroll bar

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Freeze Pane to freeze top row and first column at same time

Excel currently allows Freeze Pane for top row or first column but not both at same time. I know that you can use the Freeze Panes where you pick a specific cell and it freezes everything above and to the left. That works great unless something happens to the data row that you froze around or if you are filtering. Having a button that would freeze both a row and column at the same time would be more foolproof, especially for users who aren't savvy with Excel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Resize excel drop down menus

Be able to change the size of all drop down menus and right click menus in Excel (Larger)
    I have been working with Excel for decades and now as I am getting older I shouldn't have to squint or strain to see right click menu options, drop down menu options, or ribbon options at a font size of 6, 7, or 8.
    A monitor is larger than a piece of paper. scroll bars are easily used. Why can't we have these menus available at a font size of 14 if we want them to be?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Keep cell, row or column highlight active when not focused on current program

People often select cells, row or column to keep the focus on information. Focus is lost when another program is accessed but the user still wants to refer to excel information highlighted.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Separate file tabs and session management

I often work with multiple files for one project to be stored in different folders and published separately so they can't be in the same workbook. Would be convenient to open all files in a saved session and to see them all in the same tabbed window, like a web browser.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow compositing workbook from external sheets

As a workbook owner I would like to be able to reference entire sheets from another workbooks (for viewing only) within my workbook. Ideally these would be normally displayed in tabs, next to the local sheets, perhaps with ability to amend workbook location/sheet name if that changes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Frezze Panes to the Right and Freeze Panes Above & to the Right of a selected cell.

I would like to see an option to freeze all columns to the right of a selected cell and an options to freeze all rows above & to the right of a selected cell.

I use several spreadsheets that have data entries on the right and would like to have the a freeze pane to the right as I scroll.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Change the default for Synchronous Scrolling to Off

This is not new but apparently you have ignored the past requests so I start again. Please google this issue, you will find hundreds of threads with hundreds of responses hating the default setting of ON for synchronous scrolling in Excel. Please put a choice in the Options, so we can all make our own choice of ON or OFF for this function under View.

There is a previous "Idea" from 2015 here with comments up to 2020.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable a "pin" so that MS documents can be pinned to their screen while working in another program.

Provide a "pin" option in the ribbon so that users can pin the document to their screen while working in another program. For instance, I want to shrink the workbook and pin it to the bottom corner of my screen so that I can enter product information into my online store in one program, and log the products into my product list in my Excel spreadsheet as I go. But when I click to go between my other screens, my Excel spreadsheet minimizes and I have to reopen it each time I want to make an entry.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. When W 8 came out the app took up the entire screen. I sent the Hp back for W 7.Please tell me how to I can reduce the app down to W 10

I want to be able to reduce the size of an app NOW not in the next version. How do I go back to my last W 10. HELP ME

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remove the stupid search box from the title bar

The search box on the title bar in O365 applications is totally not necessary, remove it please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow users to unhide more than just 1 sheet at a time

Having to unhide sheets one by one is obnoxious, feels like this could be an easy feature to add

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Smooth Scrolling

Excel needs to be able to scroll smoothly instead of snapping to cells. It can be frustrating to try to edit larger cells because Excel is always snapping to the top of the cell.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base