Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Optimize visual space for the Formula Bar

If the Formula Bar is expanded to >1 line, then the "✗ ✓ fx" box should be moved below the Name Box. This gives more horizontal space for the Formula Bar.

We should also have an option to remove these 2 boxes. Their functionality can be gotten from the Formulas tab. For me, sacrificing this rarely-needed accessibility to these features is worth it to get a bigger Formula Bar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. See the result of Offset defined ranges

Offset is a very useful function, but perhaps my biggest frustration with it is that I can't visually see what cell (or cells) it's grabbing. If, for example, when you're manually evaluating the formula, excel could highlight the range that it's grabbing, that would be "excel"lent.
    Or, if the formula bar can auto-detect that an offset is present, then you could hit F2 twice or shift+F2 to make it evaluate what rows are being grabbed and highlight them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keep freeze panes setting when opening a second window.

Keep freeze panes setting when opening a second window. I frequently open a new window (second view of the same workbook) so I can make changes on one tab of the workbook and instantaneously view the results on a second tab of the workbook without having to select back and forth between two tabs. The problem is once the second view is opened it no longer adheres to the freeze pane settings of the workbook. I find myself re-freezing the panes multiple times a day.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option for less "white space"

ALL newer Office apps: Give us an OPTION for SIGNIFICANT reduction of white space. I typically fill all the jump lists and pinned documents with various documents that I routinely have to access. '16 Office apps don't show NEARLY enough - even when I pin what I can and put others in the jump lists. I have to scroll, and it still doesn't always show them all.
    NO white space needed for some of us-please use smaller font and crowd stuff in. Allow the alternatives for those who don't like crowding.
    THANKS!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. For better focus highlight current row/column

Have the option to highlight the entire row or column (or both) that you are working on so you are less likely to read the wrong data.

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Quit having a spreadsheet reopen in a different size than it was when it was closed

When I close a spreadsheet, it is the size I want it to be. But when I reopen it, Excel is as likely as not to have "decided" that it knows better than I do what I want, and it reopens in a different size. Sorry, but I do know better than Excel does what I want, and resent the arrogance displayed in changing my preferences. Make it stop!!!

124 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you say that it opens a different size – can you give more info? Do you mean the application window is a different size (it shouldn’t be) or that the font sizes (zoom) are different? (again, they shouldn’t be)

Additionally, if you can post a video of what you’re seeing, that would be a big help for us.

If there is a problem here, it’s definitely something we’d want to fix.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

7. Better productivity-oriented interface (allow dialogs to be modeless, make everything dockable panes)

As a production tool, drop the ribbon and go to proven high-productivity paradigms with tool palettes, such as exist with Adobe products as Photoshop and InDesign. Being able to arrange direct access to tools on a second monitor provides for far better ease of use and understanding of options.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide a way to determine which instance a particular Excel window belongs to.

I use Excel 2013 at the office and always have multiple instances open, with multiple windows open in each.

Two important things this would help with are: 1) Clipboard functionality differs for inter- and intra-instance use; 2) Running long calculations (ie, Solver) ties up an entire instance.

It would be very useful to have a way to identify which instance a particular window belongs to. An instance number or name in the titlebar of each window seems like a good, unobtrusive solution.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Tool to use arrows in order to highlight one full row at a time

Currently, if you select a full row and then hit the down arrow, it will jump down to the left-most cell below the row you had selected. Since many people go through row by row to analyze data, it would be helpful if you could use the arrows to go up and down while highlighting/selecting one full row at a time. The workaround most people use for this is shading every other row so it is easy to see which row each cell belongs to.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Function Syntax

I am applying formulas in excel by viewing the syntax which always
    For example : Sumif(range,criteria,[sum range])

Everytime you press "," it highlighting in Bold which criteria you are mentioning.
    Now recently what I have found that if any sheet name contains any "," in it and you are applying the formula(example : sumif) from it, then it will not showing all syntax.

Not sure if this is correct forum. but just found this issue and what to share if we can remove this bug.

Regards,
    Rajender

Regards,
    Rajender

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Locking Tab

The ability to lock individual tabs so that unauthorized users can not open them to either view or change content.

Locked tabs could still be seen from in the "hide/unhide" drop down but unauthorized users would not be able to open the tab.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Capability to resize Title bar, Tab names (of masked Ribbon) and Quick Access Toolbar

Hello,

Moving from Excel 2013 to 2016 lead to loose 1+ raw (same zooming) because Title bar, Tabs of masked Ribbon and Quick access bar are higher. This is a problem at least for these reasons :
    - Sheets sized to fit a sceen (2013) ... don't fit any longer
    - Screens height became smaller with 16/9 (cinema format) pushing us to scroll and scroll...Various bars (Title, Quick Access, Menu..) are now taking more space see hard copy leading us to scroll even more !

It would be great to be able to resize (height, text and icons) these bars…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please allow for expansion of all text boxes (e.g. when tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d))

When tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d), Excel does not allow you to expand the text box so that you can see the whole reference to the cell, making life difficult when tracing dependents.

And I am sure there are lots of other cases when the same applies, so please can you make this simple update to Excel to expand any text box.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Restore MDI file handling (open all files in one window); Kill SDI (each spreadsheet opens in a seperate window)

In the good versions of Excel (prior to 2007) one could open multiple workbooks in the same window. Now, one has multiple instances of Excel (and every other Office app) whenever one opens more than one document / spreadsheet.

Again, here are the issues:

1. Stability - I experience ~3X Excel crashes in 2016 (SDI) as compared to 2010 (MDI)

2. Screen Space / Real Estate - Drastically reduced screen space when each workbook requires its own Ribbon, Quick Access Toolbar and Formula Bar

3. Toolbar to Workbook Confusion - One Ribbon + Quick Access Toolbar + Formula Bar to control all workbooks…
    1,275 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

995 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the support and the detailed discussion around this suggestion. We understand that there are some advantages and disadvantages with both MDI (multi-document interface) and SDI (single-document interface), and we currently do not have plans to revert to MDI. We do want to improve the experience with SDI so you can get your work done efficiently, and this post has helped toward that goal.

Some of the specific issues mentioned are addressed as follows:
    – Stability: This has been a focus over the past several years, and the monthly releases in 2020 have been among the most reliable ever in terms of avoiding crashes.
    - Screen space – while it won’t get all the space back, you can minimize the ribbon to save some space. It only shows when needed.
    - Navigation between workbooks: you can use CTRL+F6, SHIFT+CTRL+F6, CTRL+TAB or SHIFT+CTRL+TAB to switch to the next workbook. …

15. Don't Allow Modal Dialogs to Go Behind Excel Windows

The move in Excel 2013 to use an SDI instead of an MDI has caused some rather serious problems with modal dialogs. There are many ways this can bite you, but the easiest one to describe in this forum is this:

1. Open Excel 2013 or 2016

2. Make sure there are two different workbooks open and maximize both their windows.

3. Go to VBA and in the immediate window type MsgBox "X" and execute it.

4. The display switches back to the active spreadsheet and there's a "X" in a modal dialog on top of it, as expected.

5. Now in the Windows taskbar,…
    8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When you go to the "move or copy" tab icon, it would be easier if that drop down list included the highlights that I've added to each tab.

When you go to the "move or copy" tab icon, it would be easier if that drop down list included the highlights that I've added to each tab.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. make an option to shade a row/column as you scroll in a large spreadsheet. This is so you know you are in the correct row/column.

make a option to lightly shade the row and column you are working in so you can not confuse it with another row/column on the worksheet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow personalized tab display

Allow for drag and drop of tabs from standard horizontal view (like Windows Taskbar) to vertical view (kind of like OneNote).

My boss is tab happy and I often have to keep selecting move over to see the names. Often, I have to then go back to find what I need. A list display on the right or left would allow me to quickly jump (and it would be a cleaner look).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. A "tree" view like worksheet explorer for grouping worksheet and navigating worksheets. Similar to windows explorer for files/folders n

A "tree" view of worksheets explorer. For grouping of worksheet and navigation of worksheets. Similar to Windows explorer for files/folders management and navigation. The "tree" worksheet explorer shall appear vertically at the side of the excel software window. This will also speed up the navigation when compare to navigating the worksheets by scrolling the worksheets horizontally

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Scrolling while writing or editing a formula

It used to be possible to scroll around the screen using the mouse wheel while writing formulas - to find the cell reference to include in the formula. Now only the scroll bar can be used. This is particularly painful in large sheets as the scroll bars are not sensitive enough to find the right cell easily.
    Thanks for considering

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base