Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make new Excel windows open only on the active desktop to avoid unwanted desktop switching.

The problem occurs when a saved file is double-clicked, opening a new window. The window will open on the active desktop if no other Excel windows are open. If, however, there are other Excel windows already open, the new window will appear on the same desktop as the last viewed Excel window. This can cause Windows to switch desktops, and result in the new Excel window appearing on a different desktop than intended.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When opening a spreadsheet when Excel is minized do NOT first bring to the desktop an already opened/minized spreadsheet

When opening a workbook that I have saved on my hard drive, if I already have an open workbook that is minimized, excel first brings up the minimized workbook to the desktop and the foreground, then displays the one you are opening. Now, to get back to the desktop view I had before opening my workbook I have to minimize 2 workbooks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. In Excel 2016 'Help' window add 'increase/decrease' font size for ease of reading.

Currently after accessing the Excel 2016 'Help' window there is a choice to 'size' the window or 'close' it. Adding 'font size' +- for ease of reading would be useful.
    The worksheet is zoomed but that doesn't effect the 'Help' window' which it shouldn't.
    Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Find (and Replace) Next or Next-1 toggle

I refer to the "Find // Replace" function within the "Find & Select" option.

It would be much more useful if:

a/ The "Find NEXT" would could be toggled to search backward

&

b/ That one was able to set personalize the DEFAULTS within the Options window

Thank you

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tabbed spreadsheets

You have tabbed worksheets within the spreadsheet at the bottom, but you could have tabbed spreadsheets along the top. Makes navigation between different spreadsheets much easier than having them in separate XL windows. 3rd party apps like office tab do this very well but would be nice to see this feature natively in Office.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER

It is necessary to add A UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER similar to file manager for OS. Plus different small features as toggling, vertical tabs and so on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Scroll to object from Selection Pane

From the Selection Pane, there should be some way to scroll to a chosen object, regardless of the object's visibility. This would be much like what the Go To window (shortcut: Ctrl + G) is for references. Simply having an object be visible does little help to locate it in a large sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Can we please bring the Split Box Control back? The new way ("Split Window" command) is awkward.

Please bring the Split Box Control back. This new way with the "Split Window" command is very frustrating.

It was so easy to split panes before! But now I have to first click in a cell (and lose my current selection, by the way), and then either switch from using the mouse to do a keyboard shortcut (that beeps at me for some reason), or else navigate to a different tab & click a button, just to split the panes.

Then re-do my selection & navigate back to the tab I really want to be working in.

This change actively…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 99% of my day I start at excel. Can we get a proper dark theme

99% of my day I start at excel. Can we get a proper dark theme that changes it all to dark since it will be easier to look at?

I want it to change the text to black background, white text, as well as the borders and edges. It should just be a quick button, be able to be customized to the ribbon for a quick click.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "Freeze Panes" for sheet tabs

Freeze Panes lets you browse the minor cells of a sheet while keeping the important ones, usually row or column headings, visible at all times.

We should have something similar for sheet tabs. For example, you might want to guarantee the visibility of a summary sheet as you browse through the raw data sheets (or vice versa). Instructions for the file are also useful to anchor.

If you search for "Excel freeze sheet tab" (without quotes) on Google, you will see that I am not the first to suggest this. The most common workaround seems to be assigning a sheet…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Customizing Windows Color and Appearance in Windows 10 (especially for Selected Items and Windows)

I am an avid user of Microsoft Excel. The first thing I have always done when I get a new computer is set up the Windows Color and Appearance settings by customizing the variance options listed under "Item:" (See bottom of my post). For instance, I like to have the Window item a shade of gray and and the Selected Items item a darker shade of gray. This allows me to operate in Excel more quickly. I've been doing this for a long time, but for some reason with either Windows 10 or the latest version of Excel 2016, I…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. New idea for newest version of Excel (3D version)

Each Workbook will have a few sections, and each section will has a few WorkSheets.and finaly each Worksheet has many data like old versions. Summary it means : data devided in sections and sheets (3D version). I Create 3 Pictures for this idea , in this link : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qiqk0lk6hg681q8/AADxueKciHMyWJwBbPiV1yuba?dl=0
    E-mail address:
    shariflotfi@yahoo.com

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Duplicate the "Scroll to the last/next sheet" on the right hand side of the status bar

When we want to view/select worksheets to the right, it is intuitive to have the "Scroll to the last/next sheet" on the right hand side of the status bar. This could be achieved either as a duplicate of those options or moving those actions to the right.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I want to define my own Office Theme (to go along with White, Light, Dark, and Black)

I want to change excel theme to whatever I like and whatever color I want so please enable this option, right now there is only 3 themes so I can choose only want

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Apply View > Formula Bar at sheet level

The options in the View ribbon, Show group are not consistent in their behaviour. Ruler, Grid lines and Headings are applied at the sheet level. But Formula Bar is applied at the application level, so even other workbooks will show/hide the formula bar according to the setting in the current sheet.

Please apply the View Formula Bar only at sheet level, so that other sheets and workbooks are not affected.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Display Status Bar of Inactive Window 2016 Excel

In Excel 2010 we were able to highlight numbers and have their sums displayed in the grey status bar towards the bottom of the sheet. Working with 2 monitors, this feature was very helpful.

After upgrading to Excel 2016 the status bar of the non active/selected workbook disappears instead of the sum being viewable of the non active workbook.

The feature was helpful for at least 2 open excel instances where we can view the sum of the non active workbook and it would be great to have back instead of being forced to click in out of each workbook…

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Create a scratchpad for taking notes while working in Excel to store "ToDo's", copied data, temporary data, etc.

I'd really appreciate if there will be a window pane (similar to "Selection Pane" for objects) within Excel where I can copy/paste/fill temporary data that could serve as a reminder or reference to whatever I'm working on or for whatever purpose it may serve. Currently, my workaround to this is to open Notepad and Excel side-by-side, adjust the size of Notepad and Excel to fit window height, adjust Notepad width enough to fill some data but small enough to still view lots of data in Excel. The problem with this approach is whenever I would like to view more data…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Have a way to set default open behavior to Open Excel in a New Instance

Currently Excel opens each workbook in a new window, but it is not a new Instance of Excel. The only way I've found to truly open in a new instance is to right click on Excel in the Taskbar then and then while holding down the "Alt" key left click on "Excel 2016". That would be fine except if I open something from the web it goes into a random instance that I have open. It is difficult to tell which files are open in which instances since they all "look" like they are in different instances.

Some of my…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base