Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When selecting a cell in Excel it would be good to highlight the entire cells of the row and column of that cell. Not select,just highlight

When selecting a cell in Excel it would be good to highlight the entire cells of the row and column of that cell. Not select, just highlight. It will make our life easier to millions of people that have to analyze data in large excel sheets.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give users option to display multiple workbooks in a single window like pages in a web browser

In edge, chrome, firefox, etc a user can open 1, 2, 3, or 100 pages inside one browser window, then easily switch between them. Let's bring that same simplicity to excel!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Nested sheets

At the bottom of the screen is a row of worksheets. However when you get to Workbooks that contain say 20 or 30 or 50 worksheets, it becomes a true disaster to navigate around that many sheets. What would be very helpful would be if you could expand to two rows at the bottom. That in itself would be helpful. But the really neat thing would be is if you could nest-sheets within like a high level. So perhaps like a folder with sheets inside of it. So you have one row that is all the folders and then inside…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Exchange OST to PST Converter Software

With ATS OST to PST Converter software is always works like professional and amazingly recovers whole corrupted OST file data, to fulfil all these requirements invented a high-class data recovery solution which awesomely recovers lost OST file data and makes fully able to read OST file data into new PST file data. You can also convert your OST mailbox data into PST file with, safely converts all mail items of Offline folder (OST) file and saves them in new Outlook PST file, along with giving option to save as EML, MSG and PST file formats. It is extracts all the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add the ability to organize sheets in folders inside a workbook

We should be able to create folders inside the workbook to organize sheets better. This could help in a variety of industries, especially for accounting departments.

An example of this idea would be for an accounting department in a company with multiple locations. With folders, you could store transactions for all locations in a single workbook with each location having a folder and and each day in the month having it's own sheet.

It could also be used for a company with a single location but with many employees. You could have a folder for each department in that location…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Center the view while zooming [ctrl+wheel] around the position of the cursor (also Powerpoint and Word)

Zooming on an area of page with the mouse wheel should centre on the position of the cursor (just like CAD and PDF applications do), but Excel (and all Office apps) do this crazy thing where they ignore the position of the cursor, and zoom seemingly randonly resulting inevitable panning after zooming. It's obvious that the user wants to zoom in on the position at which they are looking (ie, where the mouse is pointing). It would be great if you could make it so :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. feature request to freeze row at bottom of screen with remaining rows scrollable

i am facing issue to freeze row at bottom of screen instead of top row freezing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to Remove "Page 1" / Page number watermark from page break preview view

Please allow for us to toggle off the page number watermark when using page break preview.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Symbol at the right corner of the cell when data validation is applied

Right now, the drop- down arrow appears only after the particular cell (with data validation) is selected. My suggestion is that it appears all-the-time to show which cells in the sheets, the user has to fill manually & which have dropdown. (this already works in Google Sheets).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a Feature to allow one to group Sheets in Excel

Often when one creates an Excel model with lots of sheets, it would be efficient to group tabs and have a Grouped Tab displayed at the bottom. This would allow efficient navigation as you have a group displayed in the tab section of excel which expands upon clicking to allow selection of an actual sheet. You have a grouping feature similar to what I ask in OneNote, which I love using. My insider e-mail is jeromehairstonjr@live.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add the ability to have a side panel showing the cell contents.

Add the ability to have a side panel showing the cell contents. For cells with large data or text the ribbon at the top is not so nice for viewing. If you drag the ribbon at the top down to see more of the cell information then you loose view of the rest of the excel sheet. If you made an optional right side pop-out side panel that could be sized as desired it would make it much easier to view cells with large amount of data or text.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Include back/forward navigation buttons like in IE or VisualStudio

When inspecting large workbooks, I often need to backtrack to previous position. Especially after "Find" operation I'm often not aware where my cursor have been placeed.
    Include back/forward navigation buttons like in IE or VisualStudio (aka "blue arrows").

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a Browse button to Excel Options / Save.

I had found it useful in prior Excel when you had Browse as a part of the saving location. This way you can locate the Saving place and then if you need to copy it to AutoRecover File location and Draft location.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Manage recovered files better

It's great that you auto-recover things I had open when the system rebooted, love the feature, but it is frustrating - I now have foo(version 2).xls, and I have to go find the original and save-as over it. I understand that doing that automatically might cause data loss (used to be an Office dev), so we shouldn't do that. But some of the time I don't remember where I had the original, have to go looking. Show repairs works strangely, too. What I'd like would be an option to open the original so I can see what's different, a harder,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Wider Document Location

Document Location in the QAT is the quickest way possible (by far) to open new workbooks.

However, it is way too small to easily edit path of medium length paths of longer. Versions prior to 2007 (maybe 2003, I can't remember which) had a similar Document Location feature that was resize-able. I lost a non-trivial amount of productivity when moving away from that version with the re-sizeable Document Location type feature.

Requesting a means to have a static Document Location field capable of spanning most of the width of the Excel window.

Possible solutions:
    - ability to resize the width…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. List sheet names vertically in a scrolling list sidepanel

The current way of navigating sheets is extremely slow and strenous and should be obsoleted and replaced with a vertically scrollable list sidepanel without the need of 3rd party add-ins.

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel sheet dates

It would be great to have a feature that converts your excel sheets into excel date sheets for weekly / daily reports. Sheets could be automatically generated based on an existing template and current week sheet could be pined for whenever the file is opened.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sections and Pages in Excel - Just like we have in OneNote

Introduction of Sections/Pages in a workbook, just like we have in OneNote. I have to work with the same file, year after year, so presently, I have to save each year's file with a separate name. If we can add sections and pages, we can have sections like 2010, 2011,...2020 and we can have multiple pages in a section. Would make the work very easier.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. locked sign in name tab of wheet should be optional

It looks like someone suggested to put the locked sign to see which sheets is locked. I think It is just of space and inconvient and inefficient. First of all I have more than 30 worksheet and they are all locked. It is very hard for me to look. this feature should either come with optional button or should not be there..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base