Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to set the defaults for ALL workbooks such as font, font size, row height, row width.

The ability to choose semi-permanently group and manipulate workbooks in the same way as Lotus 123.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to set the defaults for ALL workbooks such as font, font size, row height, row width.

Ability to permanently group selected worksheets and choose any single worksheet as the model to replicate styles from and when moving between worksheets, the cursor remains in the corresponding cell (a Lotus 123 feature)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add "Go To Special -> Previous Cell" with cell history.

Navigating a workbook would be easier with a "Go To Previous Cell"

Add the ability to Go To Special for "Previous Cell" as far back to when the workbook was opened, or alternatively, to a user defined history setting in Excel's Advanced->Editing Options->Display Options for this workbook (e.g. Keep Cell History {all, or user entered numeric value})

Additionally, provide a dropdown list of the cell history that can be added to the quick access toolbar, for rapid selection of previously selected cells.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. please make it possible to have one row and one column a sticky row and cloumn. it is so frustrating to have one or the other.

I often want to go out of scroll from my heading row and would love to be able to make it follow me down the page as I scroll.

At the same time I often scroll across a page and would similarly need to have the first column follow me as I move across the page.

Google have this facility in their sheets so why don't you have it in Excel? thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ctrl+Tab is broken

Ctrl+Tab is broken in Excel 2016. It now sometimes displays non-Excel windows(!) and sometimes just cycles between windows 1 and 2. Please fix this :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Go back to previous version of Excel

Go back to previous version of Excel!!!...Remove the 'Search bar' above the Ribbon...if you have many documents with long names...names are NOT fully shown.
    Remove the 'Font bar' in the ribbon, replace with original 'cell data'...if you want to change data within a cell already containing data...cannot add or delete data...latest version of excel removes the entire data stream and then you are F****
    This is NOT a good upgrade with excel!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ctrl + 0 to reset zoom to 100 %

Same behaviour as Firefox and other apps.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make column snapping able to be toggled

I'm incredibly annoyed by how the left side constantly aligns to the closest column side when I'm scrolling horizontally. It's much easier for me to see my information correctly without the row numbers right next to all of my labels and equations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Arrange all automatically update after closing file

When files have been arranged using 'Arrange all', make it so that if one or more is closed they reset to fill the screen again with the remaining open files (ie effectively redo the 'Arrange all' automatically). This sometimes happens, but it seems to be random, and I can't find a setting to make it the default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel spreadsheets should appear in the same location and configuration as when closed as in Excel 2010.

Newly opened Excel spreadsheets should appear in the same location and configuration as when closed just as in Excel 2010

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. KEEP UNFOCUSED WORKBOOK ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED

OPTION TO KEEP ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN UNFOCUSED AND IN ANOTHER APPLICATION

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Create a single view of multiple sheets (using panes?)

I would like to see multiple worksheets in the same window, preferably by setting up viewing panes (similar to Outlook or even VBE).

For instance a user would then be able able to create a view with 3-panes (one left, and the other above-right and below-right). Or a user could have them "snap" into the right positions

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make CTRL+D,CTRL+R, CTRL+DOWN, CTRL+UP aware of neighbourhood column

Hi,

Unfortunately you have to do that monkey job all the time:

1. Go to the first cell of nearest column

2. Go to the last cell of nearest column by CTRL+DOWN

3. Go to the last cell of needed column

4. Go to the first cell of needed column by CTRL+UP

5. Hit CTRL+D and finally see result.

You can do the same with simply double click on 1st cell corner.

Many of advanced excel users using keyboard shortcuts extensively so you need to switch to the mouse all the time you want to fill formulat down.

I know that using tables you can…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Global Option to view page breaks in normal view

You currently allow users to set an advanced option to view page breaks in normal view for only 1 worksheet at a time. This is cumbersome when working in workbooks with multiple worksheets. I want the ability to set this option globally for all worksheets in the workbook and automatically for all workbooks that I create.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Show Row Numbers On Right Side of Worksheet

With 4K monitors, worksheets displayed at 100% contain lots of data.
    Having row numbers displayed on the Left (supported), Right, and Both sides of the worksheet would be a nice usability improvement.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. WORKSHEET BUTTON size the smallest

reduce WORKSHEET BUTTON size the smallest so that we can view 200 worksheets in a single view rather than scrolling as its creating confusion.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. In the Queries & Connections pane, keep the vertical scroll bar visible regardless of horizontal scrolling

Currently, the vertical scroll bar in the Queries & Connections pane can be scrolled in and out of sight using the horizontal scroll bar. Please lock the position of the vertical scroll bar so that its visibility is unaffected by horizontal scrolling.

To be clear, I am not saying that the vertical scroll bar should always be visible. It should continue to not appear unless there are more queries or connections than the pane can show.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring back 2016 Ribbon format & colors

Is it Microsoft's intent to intentionally make Excel more difficult to use? It seems that is the case.
    For example, my latest edition August 2019 is missing the ribbon colors. I may have not noticed when they disappeared, but I know there were there some time ago. I have attached a screen shot from this link ( https://support.office.com/en-us/article/show-the-ribbon-26abd81c-b5ab-47a5-aabc-a9e5255862f4 ) to illustrate what the ribbon tab used to look like. Now it is even more difdficult to read the ribbon. WHY? WHY? WHY? is Microsoft messing with stuff that works instead of enhancing the product???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. We need to be able to freeze more than one column at a time!

Need to be able to freeze more than one column at a time, or Column and a line. EG: annual spreadsheet has months across top and left hand column has details input so when you are scrolling across the months your detail col should stay visible, otherwise you waste so much time chasing back & forward to see where you are working.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base