Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tabs on the side

I work with loads of tabs and spend too much time scrolling left / right. Can the tabs go on the side of the spreadsheet with a scrollbar? Should be a nice fix that can be made optional for users!

I can imagine huge cost savings for any company using big spreadsheets

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Cells More Visible by Highlighting Them

Make it possible to highlight a cell so that when I leave the spreadsheet and go back to it is easier to find where I left off

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Custimizaton option in Excel Window Features locations

Some excel data sheets it become better option to get sheets in left or right side of window.
    In normal Window, we can move taskbar pallet to left, upper and right sides.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make it easier to see row and column in excel

I would like to see some kind of highlight to more easily see which row and column are affected when working inside a large Excel document. Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I would like a vertical screen split on the left and right side of the spreadsheet

I would like a vertical screen split on the left and right sides of the spreadsheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Scroll Bar Tab

Hi, I wish you could provide a user interface to custom colour the scroll bar. It is so difficult everyday to try and locate the position of the button while working on the excel sheets. In fact you can allow users to design it to various forms and make it colourful. Right side scroll bar as well as the bottom scroll bars. Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add SheetDelete(), BeforeRename(), Rename(), BeforeHide(), etc. events...

Can we please get 8 new EXTREMELY USEFUL events for Excel worksheets: SheetDelete(), BeforeRename(), Rename(), BeforeHide(), Hide(), BeforeUnhide(), Unhidden(), and BeforeNewSheet(). Excel already has NewSheet() and SheetBeforeDelete() events.

It makes sense that the BeforeNewSheet(), NewSheet(), SheetBeforeDelete(), and the SheetDelete() events must be in the workbook code object module, and that they should posses the "Sh As Object" argument in order to determine which sheet the user is attempting to act on. But the rest should be available in each worksheet's code object module.

All of he "Before...()" events, including the existing ones, would additionally need a "Cancel As Boolean" argument/parameter,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bring back tighter spacing to Open and Save As screens under File. Also, enable mouse scrolls to move up/down the list of files/folders.

A recent update increased the spacing in the open files and save as dialogs in the File screen area. This greatly reduces the number of visible files. I have around 10 pinned files and now I can't see the files recently used without manually clicking the scroll bar.

Also, fix the workbooks and folder sections to have the mouse scroll up/down the list of files/folders. Currently, the mouse scrolls the entire screen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Single Page Zoom

When in Page Layout mode, have the option to zoom out on one page. Word has a "One Page" option in the zoom settings. Excel is default to "Multiple Pages" when zooming out and scrolling. Would be nice to see how the document will appear printed out.

See attached for what is available in Word.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. New Window (Alt-WN) Should not toss frozen cells and hidden gridlines

Why, oh why, when I open a new window of an existing workbook (i.e. using Alt-WN), does the new window toss all of my frozen panes and hidden gridlines. Why, this infuriating, awful non feature!

I work with large financial models which I lay across 2 or more screens - each time I open new windows I have to laboriously re-set frozen panes! it is a total waste of time!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Viewing Sums

If I highlight a range of numbers I can see sum, min, max, avg, etc... at the bottom of my window. However, I can only see those things on the active window. It would be nice if those items were viewable on all open windows, not just the active one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Tabs Up Top (Optional)

REQUEST

Allow users to place tabs up top, just below the Ribbon. They are getting buried to the lower depth of increasing resolution and screen sizes.

SITUATION

Days gone by, monitor and resolution sizes were smaller and tabs held a relatively larger chuck of desktop real estate within a reasonable peripheral view. This is no longer the case. Monitor and resolution sizes have and will continue grow.

PROBLEM

As the virtual desktop grows in space, the relative size and lower level placement of tabs impedes their recognition and use. I find myself falling into the bad habit of not making…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Enabling and disabling edit mode.

Make an Edit Mode toggle so that way arrow keys only become effective inside cells, and no longer move between cells. Would be very useful and time saving when transferring data to be able to use the arrow keys to move back a few characters without having to use a mouse to select a spot within the cell or re-select the cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Search for name of the sheet

It would be nice if I can quick seach (input type seach) for sheet in document, when number of sheets is to big for clicking on next and previous sheets and for manually searching.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. The results given with the search function ar not very good visible. The results should be marked better.

The results given with the search function ar not very good visible. The results should be marked better

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Create menu to Search Worksheet

Create menu to Search Worksheet by name.

This is important when user has many worksheets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create menu to Search Worksheet

Create menu to Search Worksheet by name.

This is important when user has many worksheets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Screen Search

The current Ctrl-F function offers 2 choices in terms of "Within": Sheet & Workbook. Why not to add a 3rd one named "Screen" ?

It will be very useful when I try to locate something which I know is (or should be) in front of my eyes but I cannot find it due to the densely populated screen, and... the current Ctrl+F will show the first finding at top of the sheet while I am working on records (e.i.) 32004-32030

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base