Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow navigating from sheet to sheet and landing in the same cell.

Move from sheet to sheet in a workbook so that one ends up in the same cell in each sheet. In LOTUS 123 it was [SHIFT}{ALT}{PAGEUP} OR {PAGEDOWN}.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Resize too-wide column after double-clicking column border to resize

Scenario: You have wide bit of info in a cell and that cell's column is resized automatically by double-clicking the right separator line of the column heading.

Problem, if it is so wide that it goes beyond the screen, you have to shrink everything (i.e. zoom way out) before you can ever find things like the filter button for that column.

There could be multiple solutions for this, one that I can think of is to only resize columns wide enough to not quite fill the screen, or keep the filter button for a visible column - on-screen - even…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. View two different worksheets from the same file on two different screens

I want to compare two tabs on the same file but the only way to do that is to copy one of the sheets to another workbook and view on two different screens. I would like to use the side by side feature but within the same workbook and be able to view on two monitors.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Show multiple sheets att once like browser tabs

It would be nice if we could see the contents of multiple sheets at once. I would like to edit one sheet and simultaneously watch the contents of the other sheet.
    Ideally, you could split, move & merge tabs back like browser tabs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Window View

For data validation purposes, it would be great if Microsoft could incorporate a quick view window that would allow you to see data within another tab or workbook. Essentially just a small window that would appear within your worksheet that would allow you to navigate in another tab/workbook, while still being able to edit your current worksheet (i.e. the window would need to remain open while editing the current tab). This would provide a quick way to validate data within your existing spreadsheet that is being pulled from other worksheets or workbooks without having to open a completely separate instance…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. one ribbon bar for two excel files.

I work a lot with various excel files side by side and the previous function to use only one ribbon bar was very useful. in the new version this function is not available and it is super annoying or actually impossible to work side by side. It is beyond me why this option has been removed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. View option to highlight cells containing formulas

Currently, if I want to see which cells have formulas, I can by pressing F5, then Special, and selecting the Formula radial. All cells on the Worksheet that contain formulas are temporarily highlighted in gray. That goes away as soon as I select any cell. I'd like the option to turn that off or on persistently like the way I can show the ruler, gridlines, formula bar, or headings under the View tab, or the way you can Show Formulas under the Formulas tab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Disable F1 help menu

F1 is often pressed accidentally because it is next to F2. F1 is of no use to advanced users and there is no rapid way of closing the menu that opens. It would be a huge improvement if users can disable the F1 button somehow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. GET YOU FUCKING_POP-UP TRUMPETING YOUR NEW_SHITWARE FEATURES_OUT OF MY FACE I DO NOT CARE STAY THE FUCK_OUT OF MY FACE.

GET YOU FUCKINGPOP-UP TRUMPETING YOUR NEWSHITWARE FEATURESOUT OF MY FACE I DO NOT CARE STAY THE FUCKOUT OF MY FACE.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add a Select All when un-hiding tabs (sheets) in a workbook

You are able to highlight multiple tabs and hide them all at once but when you need to un-hide tabs you have to select one at a time. It would be night to be able to multi select or select all in the un-hide pop up box. Right now I have a file that I have to hit un-hide 52 times to get everything to show back up.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow the cursor/box to be colored

I'd like the cursor/box to have a color option. When I'm working in large spread sheets, I often loose where the box is because it is outlined in black. If it could be outlined in a color or the box could be filled in, that would be great. Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. add worksheet or tab names in the find function

I teach a Microsoft Class and one of my students asked how to use the find function to search for tabs by name. You can't as far as I can tell. I searched on line and the suggestions are either complicated or don't work like people said they would. Anyways this would be helpful if you have a lot of them and don't always remember the full name. You could just type the full or partial name in your search function. If it existed it would either take you directly to the correct tab [worksheet] or provide a list of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Freeze panes via Keyboard Shortcut

Please add a keyboard shortcut to freeze (or unfreeze) panes. The only way to do it currently is to use the ribbon.
    Even getting it into the Shift+F10 menu would be an improvement.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Worksheet Group

Sometime when I work on too many worksheets I feel difficulty to find the specific sheets. I think it would be better if we can make group like Photoshop layers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. When switching between to workbooks for the screen not to go to the active cell automatically

While working with two or more worsheets and following a row data I have to scroll down on the sheet without selecting a cell, if I switch then between both workbooks and get back to the first one, the screen will jump automatically to the active cell, loosing the view of the information I was looking for.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Use menus like before

Please bring back menus. The new UI where all of the buttons are just plopped down is an absolute mess. The idea of Windows is that everything is nested in folders so that everything isn't just plopped. We don't need cutesy pictures and icons in lieu of methodical filing systems. Alternatively, maybe give us the option to choose power user mode or beginner / old person modes (I'm old so I can say that.) One place this horrible new UI suffers is with older tutorials: I literally can not go to Tools > Options. There is no Tools menu in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Numbering for tabs

Sometimes users need to create a workbook with multiple tas (i.e. 20 tabs). Most times users will simply rename the tabs. However, when discussing the workbook with others, it is not intuitive to direct a usersatotab X<YZ.>
    ILet's take an example of a sales workbook.
    f I have multiple tabs, I will label the tabs as:
    "1. National Sales"
    "2. Nast marketing summary"
    "3. West marketing summary"
    "4. Tales Offices RRevenue ankings"
    "5. PThree Year lanned Project Launches"

etc, etc,.....
    By adding a number to the tab label, I can tell users to just simply go to tab #3 wfor…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Opening the main Excel window in a default size and position specified by the user

We like to open the main Excel window in the same position on our desktop each time. The only way we can do this is to assure that the last closed window was in the desired location when closed. This is because new windows open in the same size and position as the last closed window.

The problem arises when you open multiple worksheets, which automatically arrange themselves or are moved by the user to other temporary locations. Closing any of these windows last sets a new undesired default for the next session of Excel.

Another problem is that t…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base