Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
    - trying to position a shape
    - Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

271 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

50 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Oz! I personally couldn’t agree more. As Dan mentioned in the comments, we’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already, and this is on our longer term roadmap. We’ll evaluate excelerating (that’s my pun for the day) getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Best,
      John [MS XL]

• Visually show which cells are selected even when another application has focus

Currently, when I select one or more cells and then switch to another application, the boundary box and shading for the selected cells are not shown. Other Office applications exhibit this behavior as well--selection highlighting is only displayed when the program has focus. Many (most?) non-Office applications show the highlighting at all times.

It would be far more useful to be able to glance at the spreadsheet and see which cells are selected, even when working in another program.

229 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion E Bow. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about changes you’d like to see – we’re listening. We’ll take a look at this one. As always, folks should keep voting for the things they like the most – we’ll generally be prioritizing things according to the number of votes they get.

Cheers,
        John [MS XL]

• Restore MDI file handling (open all files in one window); Kill SDI (each spreadsheet opens in a seperate window)

In the good versions of Excel (prior to 2007) one could open multiple workbooks in the same window. Now, one has multiple instances of Excel (and every other Office app) whenever one opens more than one document / spreadsheet. Quite stupid.

(2016-04-27 Dan [MS] - updated title to fix MDI/SDI usage - they were previously being used "backwards")

144 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

83 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make it easier to find external links

Not just break them - help us to find where they are. It's time consuming to look in charts, data validation, conditional formatting, data and shapes.

126 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow users to to Multi Select in the Unhide Sheets dialog

If you have 10 sheets hidden and you want to unhide all of them it is a painful task to doing it one by one

116 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 105 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who commented on this topic. This is certainly an idea that we’ll consider, but in the meantime, I wanted to mention that if you can’t see all the sheet tabs, you can right-click on the navigation arrows to bring up the “Activate” dialog, which gives a scrollable list of the sheets, so you can select the one you want and navigate to it. I know it’s not exactly what’s being suggested.

As with other ideas, we’ll look to see how many people vote on this, so vote for it if this is an area you want to see improved.

Thanks,
                Steve (MS Excel)

• QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

62 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Make all windows containing variable-sized content resizable

Too many windows force the user scroll well before the comfortable screen space for the window is exhausted. We also do not want these windows to simply be bigger and potentially take up an unnecessary amount of screen space.

For the best of both worlds, I suggest that a window should be resizable if and only if it contains variable-sized content (e.g. scroll bars, text boxes).

Examples of specific windows are listed in the comments.

55 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow the option to choose between Multiple Document Interface or Single Document Interface

My organization had a massive forecasting model developed on Excel 2007 that uses macros to open up 4 separate excel files. It worked fine through the upgrade to 2010. However, when we upgraded to 2013, the model would fail to open the other files due to a vba error. I was doing a bit of research into this and I think that the error is due to the fact that Excel 2013 went to a single document interface from a multiple document interface in previous versions (i.e. excel files now open in in different excel application , as opposed to…

46 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • IRM read permission does not allow to change a filter or a pivot, nor to run a macro

The RMS permissions on a document for a user depend on the permission a user has for that library or document in sharepoint. The mapping from the sharepoint permissions to the RMS permissions are fixed and cannot be configured at this moment. This causes problems for users having sharepoint read access, when opening an excel workbook because they cannot change filters, make or change pivots, running macros. This makes the reading process of RMS protected workbooks unusable.

46 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Open multiple spreadsheets/workbooks within one instance of Excel 2016.

Why was this discontinued? I hate that every workbook I open is now in its own instance of Excel. Such a waste of space and performance. Please bring this feature back!

34 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like in other aplications, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

24 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Tool to use arrows in order to highlight one full row at a time

Currently, if you select a full row and then hit the down arrow, it will jump down to the left-most cell below the row you had selected. Since many people go through row by row to analyze data, it would be helpful if you could use the arrows to go up and down while highlighting/selecting one full row at a time. The workaround most people use for this is shading every other row so it is easy to see which row each cell belongs to.

23 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher.

Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher. The white theme is too bright. Please fix this awful problem. I am an accountant and I must use Excel desktop due to the size of my files. Your GIANT step backwards in icons is incomprehensible. Please give us a theme with the 2010 Excel colors and excellent definition.

20 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Display Status Bar of Inactive Window 2016 Excel

In Excel 2010 we were able to highlight numbers and have their sums displayed in the grey status bar towards the bottom of the sheet. Working with 2 monitors, this feature was very helpful.

After upgrading to Excel 2016 the status bar of the non active/selected workbook disappears instead of the sum being viewable of the non active workbook.

The feature was helpful for at least 2 open excel instances where we can view the sum of the non active workbook and it would be great to have back instead of being forced to click in out of each workbook…

19 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Go to first/last tabs

In the previous versions of Excel, I was able to go the first/last tab by using the arrow buttons adjacent to the ones that move the tabs left or right. I am using spreadsheets with many tabs and I found this feature quite useful in the past to go to the end or beginning of all the tabs.
                                  I don't understand why there are now two redundant ways to scroll through the tabs. I have not seen a difference between the left/right arrows and the ellipsis to either side of the tabs. Why don't you bring back the go to…

18 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Freeze pane for bottom row(s) of a range

It would be good to be able to freeze one or more bottom lines (as well as the headers) of a range or table to be able to keep things like totals in view at all times.
                                    Similarly, freezing columns on the right hand side of the sheet would be useful sometimes.

17 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• For better focus highlight current row/column

Have the option to highlight the entire row or column (or both) that you are working on so you are less likely to read the wrong data.

15 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Word Processor sheet in a workbook

I often have to include extensive notes, or an introduction to explain the use or purpose of a spreadsheet.
                                        It would be good if there was a type of worksheet that could be inserted that was basically just a Word document.

12 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Alphabetically sort sheets/worksheets in a workbook

When working with large data sets, I often ended up with 50+ sheets of data, and each sheet was named by a given convention. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to sort them alphanumerically without a macro. Giving the user the ability to sort so that a1 is first then a2,b1,b2,etc rather than having to sort by hand or use a macro would be seriously amazing.

10 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base