Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • View Color Formatting

Discovered that there was an update to Office version 1708, which took away the ability to view worksheets or the Page Layout in color. The previous versions 1609 and 1701 allows you to view the worksheets in color.

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Sideways scrolling bar back where it belongs -> Down!

The sideways scrolling bar should be put back into same bar where the zooming is, as it is mostly empty, but now it is annoyingly hiding excel tabs for no reason.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • independent excel app

excel app should be independent or separated for use in each new desktop

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Scroll to last tab in workbook

In Excel 2010+, the arrow function that takes the user to the furthest right tab in the workbook was removed. Why? I rely on keyboard shortcuts for 90% of my time in Excel but there ins't one for this function (that I'm aware of) and it slows me down when I'm working on a workbook with over a dozen tabs.

As I mentioned, I heavily rely on shortcuts so if the solution here is adding a keyboard shortcut then I am all for it.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Split Scree from Slide Bars instead of just Menu

Previous versions of Excel had the ability to split the screen by dragging handles from vertical and horizontal slide bars. Now you can only initiate the split from the menu. The old way gave much more control over this feature. Please restore this feature.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Comment Facility added to Sheet Tabs

As workbooks become more complex and more shared, they would benefit from being more clear to both the creator and users that haven't created the workbook. There is already a feature to add comment to cells to explain the contents of the cell. The same feature should be applied to the tabs on each worksheet so that a reader can understand what the tab is there for and what it is trying to achieve, without having to open the tab. It would also make tab names easier to understand. Someone sharing a workbook could then quickly see what sheets are…

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pin worksheet tab

I would like a simple option to allow you to pin worksheets so they are always available in the workbook irrespective of the number of worksheets there are.

I.e. when you right click the worksheet tab there is an option to pin so you can quickly gain access when you have a large number of worksheets.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Page breaks in normal view are nearly impossible to see

Page breaks in normal view are nearly impossible to see - the line indicating the page break is hardly any thicker than the normal cell line. If there are borders on a sheet, the page break becomes totally invisible. Of course, there is page break view and page layout, but they are no good for working with complex sheets, but where page layout needs to be respected.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Zoom Magnification choices between 75% and 110%

Simply add in 80%, 85%, 90%, 95% zoom option buttons

I almost never use 25%, 50%, 200% and I doubt many users do use these choices much if ever.

The 75% choice always seems a bit too small to be useful, so I regularly have to Custom zoom to something between 75% and 100%.

Adding more choice between 75% and up to 110% would add considerable convenience.

7 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • We need NEW feedback from Admins on this topic

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9769824-have-excel-scroll-better-when-there-are-large-cell

The following topic has topped the charts on this forum but has not received input from an admin in 2 years! This needs to be addressed.

4 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• shift click on scrollbar should scroll to that pointed location

Since windows 3, shift click on scroll bar does scroll to the clicked location rather than one screen in that direction.

This allow precise scrolling to a near or far location.

This doesn't work in latest excel, it also doesn't work in many areas of windows 10.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Reduce height of Excel Formula Bar, Heading and Gridlines

There is a ridiculous waste of height. Reduce the 3.5 mm-high bars between the rows to about 0.5 mm-height and removing 6 bars increases the work area height by almost 2 cms. Reducing the 'cell'-height for the Formula Bar, Heading and Gridlines themselves will also advantageously gain work area height. i.e. revert to 'height-layout' used in previous versions, such as Excel 2010.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Reduce height of Excel Formula Bar, Heading and Gridlines

There is a ridiculous waste of height. Reduce the 3.5 mm-high bars between the rows to about 0.5 mm-height and removing 6 bars increases the work area height by almost 2 cms. Reducing the 'cell'-height for the Formula Bar, Heading and Gridlines themselves will also advantageously gain work area height. i.e. revert to 'height-layout' used in previous versions, such as Excel 2010.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• title bar should be able to show file path and name, not just name

When opening workbooks, the full file path as well as the file name should show in the title bar. Currently only the name shows and since at times multiple versions of the same file are needed, but saved in different folders, it would be helpful to see the full path. I know I could have the path show in a cell of the workbook, but that involves programming a cell in each workbook, an inconvenience that showing the full path in the title bar would easily deal with.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add More Functions to the Status Bar

First of all, those simple functions that are visible in status bar are amazing. They are quite helpful but I feel that it can do more. Here are my ideas:

1. Be able to see the difference between values in STATUS BAR. It wouldn't make sense to include the sign because I don't know how it's going to be implemented easily for users, without requiring few clicks. But most of the time, we just wanted to quickly see the ABSOLUTE difference.

2. Be able to set customized functions (or combination of functions) in the STATUS BAR. For example: EXACT for…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Full screen button

Hi - I run a club website in Wordpress where on one particular page I have an embedded spreadsheet from Onedrive showing members' availability. Recently the little buttons at the bottom of the embed window for full size, information & "Tell Microsoft" have stopped working. I've noticed this on other websites using embedded spreadsheets as well. Anyone any thoughts as to why this is happening, & what we can do to restore things?
                                      Many thanks - Chris Stephenson.............>

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow sheets to float - detach from the workbook tab bar to show more than one at once

Many users are now using multiple screens, and complex multi-sheet workbooks. You should allow excel to detach sheets from the tab bar, to allow several to be open at once (within the same workbook) This would allow users to change variables on one sheet and observe effects in graphs or results sheets without having to switch between them each time. It would also allow workbooks to spill over onto a second screen to make better use of the available space.

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pull a sheet out of Excel in much the same way pulling a tab from a browser can create a new window.

In modern browsers a user can grab a tab, pull it out of the browser creating a new window. And then the user can place it back into the original browser along with the other tabs. Having a dual monitor setup, I would like the option to grab a tab (sheet) in Excel and move it to the second monitor, work on both sheets at the same time and then grab the secondary monitor sheet and place it back in the workbook. Literally just drag and drop instead of creating a new workbook and merging the workbooks.

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base