Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Here’s an idea – RESPOND TO OUR COMMENTS! PROVIDE AN UPDATE!

It has been nearly a year since an admin provided an update on the idea, “Restore MDI file handling (open all files in one window); Kill SDI (each spreadsheet opens in a seperate window)”

Please provide an update. Are you still accepting votes and considering restoration of MDI? Or, should we start looking for alternative products and pirate software to return to a more effective Excel version?

Again, here are the issues:

1. Stability
    * I experience ~3X Excel crashes in 2016 (SDI) as compared to 2010 (MDI)
    * Microsoft claims Excel is more stable, but my experience is the…

180 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expand Dark Mode

Provide an option in dark mode in which the cell color defaults to black ( ie "no fill" results in a black background) and the text color defaults to white or light gray

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multiple sheet Unhide option..

Unhiding multiple sheets is a painful task, you have to go one by one. There should be an option to unhide multiple sheets at once.

Please bring in this feature.

Thanks.

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option to highlight the row or cell where your cursor is located.

Currently there is only a line around the row number or the cell.

E.g., you are on row 12 or on row 12, column L, the entire row or a cell will highlight in a pale color different than the worksheet. This would work well for those who have 10 or more columns going across. The end-user could choose a color and it could be a toggle for those who do not opt to have the row/cell highlighted.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Shortcut to move cursor to Name Box

I currently avoid using the Name Box because I can only get there by using the mouse. If there was a shortcut to get there it would be a really quick, direct way to name ranges and navigate to ranges.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make Cells More Visible by Highlighting Them

Make it possible to highlight a cell so that when I leave the spreadsheet and go back to it is easier to find where I left off

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Highlite Active row for easier navigation on sheet....

I work with lots of lines and its tireing to try and track which row im on,
    Please try and Highlight the active row.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Tabs on the side

I work with loads of tabs and spend too much time scrolling left / right. Can the tabs go on the side of the spreadsheet with a scrollbar? Should be a nice fix that can be made optional for users!

I can imagine huge cost savings for any company using big spreadsheets

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow navigating from sheet to sheet and landing in the same cell.

Move from sheet to sheet in a workbook so that one ends up in the same cell in each sheet. In LOTUS 123 it was [SHIFT}{ALT}{PAGEUP} OR {PAGEDOWN}.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Tabs Up Top (Optional)

REQUEST

Allow users to place tabs up top, just below the Ribbon. They are getting buried to the lower depth of increasing resolution and screen sizes.

SITUATION

Days gone by, monitor and resolution sizes were smaller and tabs held a relatively larger chuck of desktop real estate within a reasonable peripheral view. This is no longer the case. Monitor and resolution sizes have and will continue grow.

PROBLEM

As the virtual desktop grows in space, the relative size and lower level placement of tabs impedes their recognition and use. I find myself falling into the bad habit of not making…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Single Page Zoom

When in Page Layout mode, have the option to zoom out on one page. Word has a "One Page" option in the zoom settings. Excel is default to "Multiple Pages" when zooming out and scrolling. Would be nice to see how the document will appear printed out.

See attached for what is available in Word.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Easy navigation across worksheets using back and forward buttons

A back and forward button would be helpful (like in internet explorer) so that while working in files with a number of sheets, user can easily navigate back and forth using these buttons.
    For example User selected "sheet-4 cell D4" and then selected sheet "sheet-15 cell X25" by using say trace precedent command or just by clicking the cell, if she now clicks "back" button it will take you to "sheet-4 cell D4" again. (This can be say upto 5 steps forward and 5 steps backward)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Refreeze Panes

Create a Refreeze Panes option in the Freeze Panes drop down. This would remove the current Freeze Panes and apply a New Freeze Panes on the selected cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bring back tighter spacing to Open and Save As screens under File. Also, enable mouse scrolls to move up/down the list of files/folders.

A recent update increased the spacing in the open files and save as dialogs in the File screen area. This greatly reduces the number of visible files. I have around 10 pinned files and now I can't see the files recently used without manually clicking the scroll bar.

Also, fix the workbooks and folder sections to have the mouse scroll up/down the list of files/folders. Currently, the mouse scrolls the entire screen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Scrolling with large cells

Scrolling with large cells is usually a nightmare, when are Microsoft going to do something about this

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Tab Copy "Move to end" Move to Beginning

Whenever a copy of a tab is created, in order to move it to the end, you need to scroll down the list of all the other tabs. The option "Move to end" should come at the beginning of the list!
    What is the point of having it at the end, since you just scrolled down to the end already..
    This is very frustrating when there are many tabs. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Resize GoTo Dialog Box

For the love of G-d, please, after all these years, make all dialog boxes, especially the GoTo dialog box!

For example, it is IMPOSSIBLE to decipher contents in the GoTo dialog box when using longer Excel file and sheet names.

Most programming languages provide simple ways to define resizable dialog boxes (e.g. Resizable: True, Max Height, Max Width, etc.)
    If Microsoft would take 1 extra minute to fix this in Excel, I believe it would save users like me hundreds of minutes per year. That would free me up to use even more Microsoft products!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add "Go To Special -> Previous Cell" with cell history.

Navigating a workbook would be easier with a "Go To Previous Cell"

Add the ability to Go To Special for "Previous Cell" as far back to when the workbook was opened, or alternatively, to a user defined history setting in Excel's Advanced->Editing Options->Display Options for this workbook (e.g. Keep Cell History {all, or user entered numeric value})

Additionally, provide a dropdown list of the cell history that can be added to the quick access toolbar, for rapid selection of previously selected cells.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base