Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Resize GoTo Dialog Box

For the love of G-d, please, after all these years, make all dialog boxes, especially the GoTo dialog box!

For example, it is IMPOSSIBLE to decipher contents in the GoTo dialog box when using longer Excel file and sheet names.

Most programming languages provide simple ways to define resizable dialog boxes (e.g. Resizable: True, Max Height, Max Width, etc.)
    If Microsoft would take 1 extra minute to fix this in Excel, I believe it would save users like me hundreds of minutes per year. That would free me up to use even more Microsoft products!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please Allow Keyboard Shortcut Customizations In Excel.

Surprisingly Customizations In Keyboard Shortcuts Are Allowed For Excel In Mac And Not Windows Even When Both Excel And Windows Are Microsoft Trademark.
    Please Add Feature To Allow Keyboard Customizations To Excel As In Work For Aiding Ease Of Access To Various Commands As Per User Preferences.
    Thanks.

330 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please make it easier for the eye to spot the active cell. The thin green lines are too hard to spot.

Give us the possibility to change the background color, of the active cell, to any color suites the user.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Expand Dark Mode

Provide an option in dark mode in which the cell color defaults to black ( ie "no fill" results in a black background) and the text color defaults to white or light gray

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to highlight the row or cell where your cursor is located.

Currently there is only a line around the row number or the cell.

E.g., you are on row 12 or on row 12, column L, the entire row or a cell will highlight in a pale color different than the worksheet. This would work well for those who have 10 or more columns going across. The end-user could choose a color and it could be a toggle for those who do not opt to have the row/cell highlighted.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Persistent Highlighting of Rows (or Columns) When Not The Active Window/App

Like most professionals these days, I have a multi-monitor configuration for my computer which allows me to have two apps open and visible at the same time. This is handy when getting data from one source via an Excel spreadsheet while updating data in another Excel spreadsheet.

It allows me to keep both spreadsheets open, one on each monitor, as I walk the one to update the other.

The issue is: When I select a row in the source spreadsheet, it is highlighted. When I make the other spreadsheet the active window, the highlight disappears from the source spreadsheet.

It…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow navigating from sheet to sheet and landing in the same cell.

Move from sheet to sheet in a workbook so that one ends up in the same cell in each sheet. In LOTUS 123 it was [SHIFT}{ALT}{PAGEUP} OR {PAGEDOWN}.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show Pinned not Recent on excel startup

Upon opening excel it use to show pinned files alphabetically with recent files below by date and time. Now the tabs are separate and when excel opens is displays recent not pinned, I have to click on pinned to get that list. Make a General Option to open to recent or pinned based on user preference.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Use menus like before

Please bring back menus. The new UI where all of the buttons are just plopped down is an absolute mess. The idea of Windows is that everything is nested in folders so that everything isn't just plopped. We don't need cutesy pictures and icons in lieu of methodical filing systems. Alternatively, maybe give us the option to choose power user mode or beginner / old person modes (I'm old so I can say that.) One place this horrible new UI suffers is with older tutorials: I literally can not go to Tools > Options. There is no Tools menu in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Numbering for tabs

Sometimes users need to create a workbook with multiple tas (i.e. 20 tabs). Most times users will simply rename the tabs. However, when discussing the workbook with others, it is not intuitive to direct a usersatotab X<YZ.>
    ILet's take an example of a sales workbook.
    f I have multiple tabs, I will label the tabs as:
    "1. National Sales"
    "2. Nast marketing summary"
    "3. West marketing summary"
    "4. Tales Offices RRevenue ankings"
    "5. PThree Year lanned Project Launches"

etc, etc,.....
    By adding a number to the tab label, I can tell users to just simply go to tab #3 wfor…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Ctrl + [ shortcut to Danish excel.

This is a shortcut availible in excel in the US and it is very helpful. I would like it to be added to Danish excel.

Suppose you have a formula =Sheet2!A1+5 in A1 on Sheet1. If you press Ctrl + [ in Sheet1!A1, it will take you to Sheet2!A1.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Shortcut to move cursor to Name Box

I currently avoid using the Name Box because I can only get there by using the mouse. If there was a shortcut to get there it would be a really quick, direct way to name ranges and navigate to ranges.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Highlite Active row for easier navigation on sheet....

I work with lots of lines and its tireing to try and track which row im on,
    Please try and Highlight the active row.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SHOW ANSWERS TO all student EXCERSISES EXCEL 2016 workbooks/ ebooks

SHOW ANSWERS TO all student EXCERSISES EXCEL 2016 workbooks/ ebooks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Cells More Visible by Highlighting Them

Make it possible to highlight a cell so that when I leave the spreadsheet and go back to it is easier to find where I left off

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Custimizaton option in Excel Window Features locations

Some excel data sheets it become better option to get sheets in left or right side of window.
    In normal Window, we can move taskbar pallet to left, upper and right sides.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base