Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A test that returns what cell is currently selected

Its a formula that returns the Cell that you have currently selected

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add SUBTOTAL/SUMIF by cell formatting - color, etc.

Conditional formatting is great feature of Ecel.

If SUBTOTAL/SUMIF could captialize on this dynamic format change - that would bring Excel another step forward in flexibility. 1st - I.d like to process cells of similar color, more formatting attributes could follow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Calendar Date option and fill with last previous price for the STOCKHISTORY function

STOCKHISTORY function is an awesome new addition to excel. I wish it had a calendar date option so that it prints all dates (not just workdays).
    and an option that would pull the last previous price available before the holiday/weekend.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Implement a FOR.EACH operator to pipe values from an array into a formula one by one

The are a number of circumstances in which an array of results has to be calculated as a filled formula rather than spilling as a dynamic array.

Examples include
    1. Feeding a 2D array into XLOOKUP column by column and returning an array of results for each
    2. Filtering a list for a sequence of criteria where the ranges forming the criterion must not lift pairwise (e.g. sorting athletes by country)
    3. Aggregation by row, column or cell.
    4. Accumulations in which array breakup is required. In finance this tends to be a corkscrew but mathematically it could be the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Matrix decomposition

return the Cholesky, LU, QR matrix (possibly others); related is the eigen-decomposition already requested.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. MLE distribution fitter

For given data, return the estimated distribution parameters (and possibly, various goodness-of-fit stats).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Reuse calculated value of name from the new LET function

In the enclosed file, the LET function in cell F1 calculates "Row_number".

The same is calculated in cell G1.

Would be very nice, if the value of "Row_number" could be accessed in cell G1, so it only had to be calculated once ;-)

For this a new formula would be needed which can extract the value of "Rownumber" in cell F1. It could be something like a "GETvaluefromLET_name" function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. enable display of autofilter criteria in excel

hi
    I think it would be useful to be able to display the criteria used in an autofilter in a cell eg date range for a financial spreadsheet

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add a function to find last instance of a character in a string

There is a function formula to find the first instance of a character in a string (FIND function). However there is no function to find the last instance of the character in that string. Developer has to create a new formulae using multiple functions to get it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. TEXTSPLIT function to compliment TEXTJOIN c'mon people

TEXTSPLIT function to compliment TEXTJOIN c'mon people

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SORT & SORTBY Functions Need Custom Sort Option

If I'm sorting something like North, South, East, and West Divisions, SORT and SORTBY only allow East, North, South, West. I should be bale to choose the order I want to see: North, South, East, West

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Use new dynamic arrays in data validation

The use helper columns in tables now often is unnecessary if using the the new dynamic arrays. But if I want to use the output of one of the new functions as the source for a data validation list, I need to put the function in a cell and reference to that cell as the source for the data validation list. I would like to be able to put the dynamic array function directly into the source field of the data validation dialog.
    Example: I have a table with a column of countries. I want to add a cell with…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Enter hyphen instead of zero in blank cell

Select File, Options, Advanced and you have a default choice to leave a cell which has a formula but no data to show either a blank cell or a zero. I suggest another choice should be allowed as a default. A hyphen,
    That way you would know there is a formula in the cell and not to place data in the cell over writing the formula.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I think that arrays should be able to pass in expressions

In Excel there has been a bunch of Array work done. I think we should be able to pass expressions into an array...

Something like this:
    ={sum(1,2,3),count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)}

so that I can dynamically generate a spill out list of expressions or perform a "lookup" function to dynamically select an expression to run within a cell by array position

=lookup(2,{sum(1,2,3),count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)})
    this expression would evaluate like this:

=lookup(2,{6,count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)})
    =lookup(2,{6,3,average(1,2,3)})
    =lookup(2,{6,3,2})
    =3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I think that arrays should be able to pass in expressions

In Excel there has been a bunch of Array work done. I think we should be able to pass expressions into an array...

Something like this:
    ={sum(1,2,3),count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)}

so that I can dynamically generate a spill out list of expressions or perform a "lookup" function to dynamically select an expression to run within a cell by array position

=lookup(2,{sum(1,2,3),count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)})
    this expression would evaluate like this:

=lookup(2,{6,count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)})
    =lookup(2,{6,3,average(1,2,3)})
    =lookup(2,{6,3,2})
    =3

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Disabling macros embedded in a totally different Excel file, since it prevents, for example, cut-and-paste functionality

Monday, 21-Sep-2020

1. While working on a different file []File-A], keeping a macro-enabled workbook [File-B] open, the macros in that workbook [File-B] prevent me from using cut-and-paste functionality in File-A. File-B has the built-in, embedded macro function of preventing cut-and-paste [inside File-B].

2. This is quite annoying, because all that happens is that File-B is just OPEN, but the error message says, "you can't use cut-and-paste function" here in File-A.

3. How can an open File-B prevent me from using this function in File-A ?

4. Does File-B have a built-in formula or macro that disables the entire Excel Program's function ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Formula Tab Indentation

Can you please allow tab indentation of formulas?

It would be even nicer if Excel did it automatically.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base