Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Formula: (A1*B1)-(A1*C1)-(A1*D1)-(A1*E1)-...-(A1*AP1)

I need to do a formula like below: (A1B1)-(A1C1)-(A1D1)-(A1E1)-...-(A1*AP1) Is there anyway I can fill this faster, because it takes a lot of time to fill manually.

A formula to do this should be very nice and time saving.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Shortcut key to access the specific filtered fields in the worksheet that can save a lot of time instead of reaching the fields manually

You can provide the shortcut key to access the specific filtered fields in the worksheet that can save a lot of time instead of reaching the fields manually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Pull Stock Historical Data Into Excel

When will Microsoft put historic stock prices? In this link created more than 3 years ago Microsoft informs that it is under development. For over 3 years? It is very unwilling to help customers. Apple's Numbers and Google Sheets already have this function. Google and Apple listen to their customers. Microsoft does not.

link (https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/32223604-pull-current-stock-prices-and-historical-data-into)

Quando o Microsoft irá colocar os preços históricos das ações? Neste link criado há mais de 3 anos a Microsoft informa que está em desenvolvimento. Há mais de 3 anos? É muita má vontade em ajudar os clientes. O Numbers da Apple e…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Native DAX and Mashup functions in Excel worksheets

Now with the dynamic array philosophy, even if the results are spilled or not, a cell may act like holding tabular data in it (which we can refer by #). So why not have Native DAX and Mashup functions directly as worksheet functions and play with tables contained in worksheet cells?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow user to consider problematic cells in their formulas

For instance, if I am trying to do an average of a sequence of numbers (a list of them or a range) and there is a cell that has an error, excel doesn't let me use those cells in their formulas.

Supose I have this sequence of Numbers

A       B       C           D                     

1 3 4 7 average(A1:C1) > returns 4.6

2 3 4/0 7 average(A2:C2) > it will return an error

3 3 div/0 7 average(A3:C3) > will also give an error.

Sometimes in a database an user lets the whole table referenced and he knows certain rows or collumns…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Evaluate Formulas based on spilled array need to show evaluation for each row (not just formula row)

If you enter a dynamic array formula in cell A1 (which spills the results) and then you write a formula in cell B1 that is based on A1# that results set will also spill.

However the evaluate formula function will never evaluate for any row in the spilled array in column B except B1. Put another way if you go to cell B2 and click Evaluate Formula and step through it the formula that is evaluated is the formula in cell B1. This makes it impossible to debug formulas based on spilled arrays.

I really think this is a bug…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SEARCH functions to return 0 (instead of #VALUE!) if the text is not found

All Find & Search functions should return the 0 (null) code if the "Findtext" does not get found in "Withintext" instead of the current #VALUE! error. That would much simplify usage of SEARCH function together with IF function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. sub catogories in excel (Money)

Unable to create the sub-categories under Category in Money in excel application.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. fd

I wanted to change my characters of "Row N" into numbers in "Row O" by using VLOOKUP formula. I wrote a table array and keyed in my formula in "Block O2", and then I wanted to pull down to fulfill all my "Row O" with the same formula. However, the "tablearray" in those formula should not have been changed!!!! The "lookupvalue" should be the only value changed among all my formula in "Row O"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. LET function should better return #NAME? whenever undefined variable was used inside the formula

If you write the formula

=LET(
    target,A1,
    list,B1:B5,
    IFERROR(VLOOKUP(targt,list,1,FALSE),"not found"))

The current insider version of the Excel in my computer outputs "not found" even if the value in the A1 actually exists in the range B1:B5.
    This is because of the typo "targt".

I would like Excel to warn me that I made a typo.

One idea is to make whole formula return #NAME?, whenever the undefined name is used somewhere inside the formula.
    Another idea is to highlight the undefined names when editing the formula.

This issue is not only about the LET function, but the LET function make…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. COUNT helper line should be Number1, Number2... not Value1, Value2...

Count only counts numbers... it is essentially the exact same function as SUM, AVERAGE, MAX, and MIN.. it even shows up on the Autosum dropdown... yet it is the only one with a different helper line.
    I suspect the person who made COUNTA took a shortcut, but it sets people up to fail

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. #CIRC! instead of 0 for Circular reference errors

Every error shows up clearly on screen except for Circular References...
    0 as the display choice is not at all useful as sheets commonly have 0's.
    Errors should be easier to spot
    CIRC or something similar would resolve that

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. This is for all Excel versions. What if you could use block-based programming instead of writing unreadable one-liners?

This is for all Excel versions. What if you could use block-based programming instead of writing unreadable one-liners?

Consider, for example, the programming learning tool Scratch, released by MIT. If you built a tool akin to this, Excel's formula features would be significantly improved in accessibility and interpretability for the average knowledgeable user as well as for those who find formulas difficult to understand or write today. To prevent an increase in Excel file size, this feature should be program side only, Excel would create a formula editor, the editor would output the one-liner, and interpret existing one-liners as visual…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. =SUMIF(Trend!$A:$A,$A4,Trend!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Trend!$A:$A,$A4,Trend!$G:$G)+SUMIF(Trend!$A:$A,$A4,Trend!$H:$H)+SUMIF(Trend!$A:$A,$A4,Trend!$I:$I)

=SUMIF(Trend!$A:$A,$A4,Trend!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Trend!$A:$A,$A4,Trend!$G:$G)+SUMIF(Trend!$A:$A,$A4,Trend!$H:$H)+SUMIF(Trend!$A:$A,$A4,Trend!$I:$I)
    any simple formular for this adding?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. vlookup based on multi column match

VLOOKUP with categories e.g. match column 1, then match on 2nd (or further) column(s).

I use the following logic

If x = cell(row,a) and y = cell(row,b) then
    'got a match
    end if

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Include Levenshtein Distance as a baked-in formula

The Levenshtein Distance Formula is great for duplicate detection. I've tried using the PowerQuery "Fuzzy Match" algorithm, but this assumes there's a known clean list of values, and I often don't have that.

I'm working to standardize data and need the ability to normalize/relate data to itself.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Use a keyboard modifier to add a cell as absolute reference when entering a formula

When entering a formula by clicking cells, it enters their relative (A1) reference. It would be nice if we could, by holding a modifier (e.g. Alt), make it enter their absolute ($A$1) reference when we click the cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Can you add change case into the excel like in the word. To make all the letters capital or small without formula. Thanks.

Can you add change case into the excel like in the word. To make all the letters capital or small without formula. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow trendline equaitons to be copied from a graph

Allow trendline equaitons to be copied from a graph

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base