Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Formatting codes need to be translated inside formulas

The formatting codes are different in every language, so for example, for the day is "d" in English, "g" (from "giorno") in Italian, "T" (from "Tag") in German).

Working in a multi-language environment where different users have different language settings on their PC gives the problem that when you write a formula that contains the formatting codes, the formatting codes are not translated and the formula doesn't provide the intended result.

For example, if I, with language settings in Italian, want to write a formula to display the current date as text in English, I have to use the following:…

36 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Ability to reference the end of the column or row regardless of the starting position

I can enter A:A to reference the entire column or 1:1 for the whole row, but if I want to go from A2:A, I have to enter a number for the end of the range.

What if I don't know where it ends? Or where it may end someday? If I type A2:A10000 I'm safe only as long as my data doesn't exceed 9,999 rows, which is hard to determine. I want to reference the whole rest of the column regardless of how much it expands in the future.

And because of this, sometimes a reference like A:A in conditional…

11 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Advanced formula manager

Excel has gone a long way of development and continues to acquire new functionality. However, the original concept of a tool for tabular calculations with formulas does not develop. The mechanism for entering and checking formulas is obsolete.
        Prerequisites for a new tool:
        1) The built-in mechanism for entering formulas does not allow you to immediately check the calculation stages for correctness and check the logic. You must first enter the formula, and then look through the step-by-step calculations. If you need corrections, you have to go back to the formula editing field.
        2) When you enter a nested formula…

8 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Highlight cells with hardcoded values vs. formulas

When processing larger files with financial data, we regularly spend time hunting for cells containing hardcoded numeric values (from "Paste as Value") rather than formulas. I know some of this can be solved using conditional formatting, but if we do that the original formatting is lost.

It would be helpful to have somewhere in the Formulas tab an option to "Highlight cells with Values", like we have "Evaluate formula" and "Trace dependents". I could see a few categories here:

- pure numeric values
          - formulas mixed with numeric values (e.g. "A1+B2+100")
          - formulas referencing only the current sheet
          - formulas…

8 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Automatically finish IFERROR() with ""

The second argument of IFERROR() is currently required, but it should be optional and the default would be to replace the error with ""). There are exceptions of course, but I think the majority of users put in IFERROR() to get rid of ugly errors that they're expecting, like in a series that will be completed in the future.

I find myself retroactively adding IFERROR( to the beginning of my formulas to clean up the worksheet, but Excel requires me to also click to the end of the formula and add the second argument plus an ending parentheses. For how…

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Ctrl + U - Last Update Office 2016

In the last update of Office 2016 there was a change in the action of one of the Excel commands.
              The Ctrl + U command, before the update, always had the action to open the Excel REPLACE window.
              After the last update this command is directed to the LOCATE window.
              There is already a command for the LOCATE action, which is Ctrl + L.
              It does not make sense to have two different commands for the same action (LOCATE).
              The command Ctrl + U (REPLACE) has always been very useful in my activities.
              Can you correct it?

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Two-way cell connections

Looking through 150 pages of suggestions here, it's obvious that many people want and could usefully use "connected" cells: two cells (or more, and perhaps two (or more) columns, not cells) that contain no formulas to overwrite when entering data in them, yet each must remain slaved to the other.

For instance, A1 and B1. Either may take an entry and the other must change appropriately. Perhaps B1 should always be three times A1, yet these two cells are to take data entry OR have other dependencies created in them with formulas. In the former case, enter 5 in A1…

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Extend IFERROR() a little

When using IFERROR(), one traps ALL errors and has one method for handling them. For instance, IFERROR(A1/B1,"") places a blank in the cell if the divide by zero error occurs. Great. But it actually does that for ALL errors, not just divide by zero. One might want to do other things for other errors, or at the very least, know a different error occurred.

Of course, one can craft a different formula with IF() and check for whichever or all possible error conditions, but the point of this forum is making life easier and more straightforward.

I propose adding functionality…

5 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Provide advanced features/functions in the Excel Ribbon interface (potentially under a Data Analysis tab in Excel)

Provide an additional 'Data Analysis' tab in the Excel Ribbon which contains buttons & functions to allow the user to do advanced statistical analysis of data sets, such as principal component analysis (PCA), SVMs, artificial neural networks, k-means & k-nearest neighbours clustering, modelling (e.g. HMM, Monte Carlo, Markov chain Monte Carlo simulations), etc.

Machine learning, deep learning and feature extraction tools/packages in-built into Excel (without the need for installing external third-party plugins) would also be highly useful in this context, considering the current rising popularity of big data analysis and data mining in the corporate sector.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Have first Monday show in 2017

The first Monday (Jan 2, 2017) doesn't show when the below formula is entered. It returns the second Monday (Jan 9, 2017). Only happens for 2017.

=IF(WEEKDAY(EOMONTH(A1,-2)+1)=2,EOMONTH(A1,-1)+1,EOMONTH(A1,-1)+(8 + MOD(2,7))-WEEKDAY(EOMONTH(A1,-1)+1))

A1=1/1/2017

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Date widget

When a field is already in date format, it would be nice to have a widget opening (like in Access) to insert a value, rather than typing on the keyboard.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • I want "JOIN(range, delimiter)" function

To concatenate multiple cells, I can use CONCATENATE() function or simply join by "&". But as a range, there seems to be no handy function.

I want a "JOIN()" function.
                          USAGE:
                          JOIN(<RANGE>, <DELIMITER>)
                          ie, for joining from A1 cell to AX1 cell with a delimiter ",", =JOIN(A1:AX1, ",")

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • 12 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• A Function to link cell value & format

Sometimes, we need to link the cell's values and its format, or the format only.

But Excel doesn't have any built-in functionality to do that!
                              What we can only do is to link the cell's value.

Please add this functionality to Excel as a new Function like this:

=LINK(Reference, [Link_Type])

The default of the link type is to link the value and format, and the user can choose either value only or format only as additional options.

Please let us see this function!

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Reinstant F9 Shortcut

In older versions of Excel, when in the formula bar you could select part of a formula and press F9 and be shown what it would evaluate to.

This doesn't work in Excel 365.

It was a very valuable shortcut for auditing formulae and seeing where something wasn't working.

Will it be put back in?

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Universal IF statement - to meet needs of IFNULL, IFBLANK, IFZERO etc.

Are you tired of duplicating complicated formulas within an IF statement in order manage blanks or zeros?

e.g. IF(long formula="","",long formula)

A universal IF statement (lets call it IFX) would decrease this type of duplication without having to add multiple new IF formulas the likes of IFNULL, IFBLANK or IFZERO.

An IFX function would accept the condition you want to test the formula against, if the condition is true it would return the specified alternative (such as blank). If the condition is false it would return the value of the formula itself. Ideally it would be able to accept multiple…

53 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • include more signs to cell design when using Func SUM

when i'm using the Func' SUM, i can add a sign like: $ , % etc.
                                    But if i'm summing something else like Dimensions (meter,gram,.), Electricity (Amp,Volt,Watt...) etc? i cant add thair sign (m,g,A,V,W,Kg...etc)
                                    consider including more sign or free txt option .

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• IF statement- allow default repeat of condition

I'm under the impression that the following IF statement will calculate "X" twice if X is true (doubles the processing overhead and time to calculate- and makes long complicated formulas harder to read)
                                      IF(X<=.45, X, "")

For example, here is a formula I just had to create in a real workbook:

= IF(IF((INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))>=10),AD2/(INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))),"") >=.1,IF((INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))>=10),AD2/(INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))),""), "")

If we could re-use a calculation output within the IF statement (either by making the second parameter optional, or having a "SAME" keyword, this could be simplified to
                                      = IF(IF((INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))>=10),AD2/(INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))),"") >=.1, SAME, "")

Easier to read, and (if it was a true re-use of the…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• (Sumif and sumifs when corresponding cells are not blank) is not working when the corresponding cell contains a formula that generates blank

(Sumif and sumifs, when corresponding cells are not blank) seems not to work when the corresponding cell contains a formula (if) that generates the blanks...

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add VHlookup

using lookup from both column and row is so easy with vhlookup in Mathcad. Please add it. The excel way of using vlookup and match is so painfully clunky.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base