Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New Formula editing experience

With the arrival of LAMBDA and LET we now need a new formula bar experience. Please vote and put your suggestions in the comments on what features you’d like the formula bar to have

128 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

24 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. See LAMBDA inputs and text in formula edit box

When selecting a cell with a LAMBDA function and then using the fx icon to display the Functions Arguments dialog it would be wonderful to see the function's input name(s) and description (from Name Manager's Comment box).

Please see attached mockup

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A New Function to Make Scalar Functions More Powerful in an Array World

When Dynamic Arrays (DA) were introduced, it opened a plethora of possibilities and a lot of formula nerds and automation ninjas were empowered to begin a new wave of creativity while building more powerful worksheets with fewer formulas. As we explore the potential, we are discovering that there is a new limitation that begs for a solution. This is a proposal for a new function, SEGMENT, that can expand the flexibility of scalar functions that accept arrays as parameters so they can operate more robustly in an array world.

Consider the following problem as an example.

We have a two-dimension…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use new dynamic arrays in data validation

The use helper columns in tables now often is unnecessary if using the the new dynamic arrays. But if I want to use the output of one of the new functions as the source for a data validation list, I need to put the function in a cell and reference to that cell as the source for the data validation list. I would like to be able to put the dynamic array function directly into the source field of the data validation dialog.
    Example: I have a table with a column of countries. I want to add a cell with…

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a Split dynamic array function

Add a dynamic array function to split apart a delimited range. See attached file for an example.

305 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow INDIRECT to work with dynamic names

Now that we have dynamic arrays, we can set up dynamic range names to define those dynamic ranges.

However, because INDIRECT doesn't work with dynamic names, we're limited in the ways we can use those dynamic names.

Please fix the INDIRECT function so that it works with dynamic names.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SUMCOLS and SUMROWS functions for Dynamic Arrays

Create new functions that SUM each column in a dynamic array (SUMCOLS(Ref#)) to produce a row of totals, and SUM each row to produce a column of totals (SUMROWS(Ref#))

Also COUNTCOLS, COUNTROWS, AVERAGECOLS, AVERAGEROWS, but these are less important than SUMCOLS & SUMROWS.

294 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SUBSTITUTES function supporting arrays of "find" and "replace" parameters

From time to time, users need to remove multiple characters from a string. For example, you might want to remove all punctuation, or all accented characters.

Right now, you have to do that with a lengthy nested formula using the SUBSTITUTE function. Such formulas are hard to read and challenging for a novice to debug. Or you could write a VBA user-defined function that performs each of the substitutions for you.

The better approach would be a SUBSTITUTES function that works like SUBSTITUTE but accepts an array (or range of cells) for the Find parameter, and possibly also for the…

135 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Correção na documentação da função SOMA

Correção na documentação da função SOMA.

Correção da documentação na função SOMA, como neste exemplo anexo informa que se deve informar de 1 a 255 "números" mas que na verdade são argumentos, podendo dentro delas constar números, célula, intervalo de células, funções ou fórmulas e não somente números, para um usuário que está começando e lê isto pode, e já
    foi presenciado, inserir de forma manual números nos argumentos por não ter o conhecimento e não estar especificado de forma correta a diversas formas que pode ser aplicada.
    Como sugestão alterar o "núm1;núm2"... para arg1;arg2... e de 1 a 255…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Lambda optional parameters

Using the new lambda function, can we have the ability to put parameter names in square brackets to turn them into optional parameters for the user?
    LAMBDA(parameter1, parameter2, [parameter3])
    This would be extremely useful for reusable functions. For example, I've created a function that combines arrays, but I don't want to have limit that function to passing only a specific number of arrays or forcing the user to enter commas for the remaining criteria. Similar to index, or sumifs or other function that has optional parameters please!
    Also, if you're feeling generous, I'd love the option of hidden parameters too,…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Timespan calculus

Currently, in cells formatted as time ([$-x-systime]h:mm:ss AM/PM), if I sum 16:00 and 12:00, I get 04:00. I would like to have the possibility of getting 28:00.

Maybe this could be achieved through a new TimeSpan cell format that would show the absolute number of years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds, etc. without a calendar, according to the selected format.

So, 28:00 could, also, be shown as "1 day and 4 hours", or "1d4h", depending on the format selected by the user.

Those TimeSpan cells would operate with other cell formats nicely. It would be possible to add a time…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Can we please get IntelliSense for LAMBDA functions?

Add the ability to define arguement prompts when using a LAMBDA function

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow UNIQUE() to operate on a rectangular range, returning all unique values

The new Dynamic Array function UNIQUE is awesome. It can return all of the unique items in a column or in a row. But it would be nice if the second argument could accept a 3 to indicate cell-by-cell.
    For example, see the screenshot below.

105 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow me to run multiple instances of Excel again (as in 2010)

The intent here is to allow me to disable auto-calculation on one (1) spreadsheet, without disabling it on all open spreadsheets. I should then be able to manually trigger calculation on one (1) spreadsheet without triggering calculation on all open spreadsheets.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Expand Name Editor for LAMBDA function

Since we will have the ability to use the LAMBDA function in a name definition to create user defined function, it would be a good idea to the expand the Refer To field in the Name Manager beyond a single line. The LAMBDA function has been out in the Beta channel for about a week and already I have seen some very detailed definitions that would be difficult to maintain in that single line.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Buttons without VBA

I Can't see a reason not to add a button feature. Of course, its applications would be more limited than those VBA allows for, but would still unlock some interesting options for worksheets without the added complexity and safety concerns macros carry around. For this particular application, I don't think about buttons like separate entities, but as interactive cells.

Option A: Add binary data validation with an optional button interface. It would be functionally similar to the drop down menu, but only allowing to change the value from TRUE to FALSE and vice-versa on click. Limited on cell values, but…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Stockhistory function to return the correct historical price - adjusted for splits AND Dividends

Currently the stockhistory function returns a historical price that is only adjusted for splits. Using this to calculate historical returns for any instrument that pays any sort of dividend or capital gain will yield incorrect results.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. STOCKHISTORY function: Add adjusted closing prices

For STOCKHISTORY function, please allow us to get not just the closing stock prices but also the closing prices adjusted for dividends and stock splits, similar to what Yahoo Finance has.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 64 65
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base