Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow us to customise the "right-click menu option"

We are already able to customise the ribbon menus. It would be great if we could also customise the right-click menu options. In particular the following would be useful:

• Conditional formatting

• Styles

However, add these may make it too cluttered for some users, so it would be great if you could choose what items are shown.

This is an extension of this idea by Emma...
    http://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10669878-right-click-for-conditional-formatting

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Right click for conditional formatting

Please add the conditional formatting menu to the options available when you right click a cell.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow conditional formatting for spilled array formulas

I use an array formula (e.g. RANDARRAY) to insert some numbers. The size of this array may vary, as the array formula is based on cells with values, which may vary.
    In the spilled array I want to highlight some values using conditional formatting. It would be useful, if the conditional formatting could be based on the size of the array, so that the area the conditional formatting applies to shrinks and grows with the size of the array.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add eyedropper to excel

Add eyedropper functionality in Excel.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Date-Time Format

Would like a simple method to format cells to display both Date & Time.
    Currently a date format and time format, but no date-time format, such as yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.
    I waste so much time with custom formats since I more often that not am interested in date and time.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Command button for the Paste Special Values and Transpose

Command button for the Paste Special Values and Transpose

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Not deleting cells border when cutting or moving cells

If I have formatted all borders in a sheet, as soon as I move some cells to another location (or cut-and-paste them as well), the cells in the original position lose their borders and I have to re-format them...
    To avoid this, I am forced to copy the cells, paste them and then go back and delete the original ones... very unconvenient!
    I ask for the ability to choose (in 'Options') whether I want the original cells to reset their borders or keep their format.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Let's go back to the future, rather past. Return the ability to manually freeze multiple rows and columns.

Until now, I could manually or using the ribbon to freeze the rows and columns I needed. Now, although your instructions say to select and freeze multiple rows and columns at the same time, it is not working. Why did you remove the ability to manually place the small bars to select and freeze panes.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Conditional formatting using pictures

Allowing a picture to be a conditional format option.
    I have been setting up a generic invoice for my company to use, but when invoicing certain items it would be great that a logo or picture could be applied to the invoice to help differentiate items listed as to which company it is from.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make it easy to change between decimal points and decimal commas

Make it easy to change between decimal points and decimal commas, please. Non-English speaking researchers and international students write papers also in their mother tongue and in very many countries decimals are separated with a comma. Excel does understand decimal commas, but it is extremely difficult to change a decimal comma to a decimal point, when the same data is used for writing papers in several languages. Please sort this out, for example add the option close to the keys dealing with the number of decimals.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Single Ribbon for multiple workbooks open at same time

I often have multiple workbooks open on the same screen. On 2010 and before, this was no problem as I had macros with keyboard shortcuts to have the books assume the top or bottom half. In later versions, Excel addressed this with multiple windows. The idea is great but could be executed better. The main problem is multiple ribbons showing for multiple workbooks. If I'm working on a single monitor and want details on the top and bottom half, about 1/3 of the space is taken up by the ribbon. Of course, I can collapse the ribbon but it takes…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Conditional Formatting Colors

Let the user decide what colors to use in the icon sets, define custom icons, or expand the icons to more than just 4 icons.
    The recent changes to the pastel colors feels like a step backward when your trying to use them to call attention to an item.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Colour scale conditional formatting based on another cell value NOT the value of that cell

Colour scale conditional formatting based on another cell value NOT the value of that cell

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stop prompting "Complex formatting that is applied... ..may take a while to display."

I have a chart with just over 4,000 data points. EVERY TIME I draw a chart, I have to click past theis dialog in order to reduce the line style from crayon size to something that looks professional.
    I have a 12-core Xeon box running at 3.5 GHz. Guess what, it doesn't take a while to display.
    Please add a "Never ask me this again" checkbox.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Select protected/unprotected cells

In the menu Home > Find & Select > Go to Special, you have many pretty interest way to select cells (formula, blank, ...)

I would like to add to this tool the option protected and unprotected cells.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Engineering Notation

In engineering, it is very common to use scientific notation that only displays numbers in factors of 10e-6, 10e-3, 10e0, 10e3, 10e6, 10e9, etc. I've seen this called "engineering notation" - it's just a special subset of scientific notation.

It would be great to have an extra formatting option for this.

For example:
    1.3e5 would be displayed as 130.0e3
    2.0e6 would be displayed as 2.0e6 (no change)
    3.2e10 would be displayed as 32.0e9

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have multiple "recent" colors for cell fill and text in the ribbon at all times

In a given workbook, I frequently use several different colors over and over again for both fill and text. Wouldn't it be great to have those few colors constantly in the ribbon rather than simply the last? Even having just one extra color (last used and second to last used) would be a significant improvement since it is most often that I go back and forth between two colors, whether for cell or text color. If not that, then perhaps a hover/drop down feature that goes to the recent colors when you point at the last.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.

Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.
    Currntly its only possible if you set a background. But this implicates to have the background behind the complete sheet.
    Many Users want to have the feature to paste a picture in a sheet, format the size a.s.o. and have the ability to set it to the background.

Currently if you set such a picture to the background its just related to other pictures but not behind cells. It would be great to have the ability to set it behind cells so that content within the cells is shown above the picture.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Date formating

Don't have it change the ******* date format to anything other than what I have typed into the block.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base