Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Number display to desired significant figures

Add the ability to display a number to a specific number of significant digits or significant figures. This is different from a specific number of decimal places. There are various ways around this in Excel, but they are all clunky, especially considering that it's 2019 and this feature is available in some other programs, such as Matlab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Number" format cells > move decimal > WANT ROUND to TENS, HUNDREDS, etc.

Want to be able to move the DISPLAYED DECIMAL point to the LEFT of the actual decimal point, such that Excel would effectively keep ROUNDING OFF DIGITS & POWERS OF TEN

e.g.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add Pop-up charts

Enable the ability to hyperlink a cell to a popup chart that opens in it's own window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add conventional boolean criteria to iCon Conditional Formats

Conditional formatting using iCon sets should include additional criteria. Currently we can only select >=, or > to compare value to a number, or formula (e.g. cell reference).
    Enable ability to choose icon when a value is equal (e.g. =) to a value (that can be defined in a cell reference)>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Conditional Formatting formulas don't work

I want to use =If(And( . . .
    for Conditional Formatting. It does not work and Excel states that there in a error in the formula. Please fix .
    MS Office Professional Plus 2016

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enable Notes Format

Enable Excel Notes to contain formats just like any other text box or cell. While we can control font type, bold, Italics, we cannot control background or foreground or font colors.

I suggest that Excel Notes should have the same formatting features as a text box or cell value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. At one time Excel supported the Intuit QuickBooks format *.iif. This does not work now.

We use Excel to verify verious files to be sure things are working properly in QuickBooks. The IIF format is a long standing feature for importing and exporting data and is useful for many customers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Do not appli sharp display when number use new line format with enought wide to show all char

Do not appli sharp display when number use new line format with enough wide to show all chars

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Delete text in many cells by selecting cells and having a button to clear all text

I want to delete all text in my cells without making a new spreadsheet, as my cells are formatted to a certain size. I wish that I could select all the cells and have something that says "clear text within cell(s)" or something like that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. convert a cvs file to mailing lables??

I have downloaded contacts to a cvs file. May I convert or download to a mailing label format??

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Formatting of cells on mobile devices when using custom formats

If I format a cell (or column) to be a "date" format, on my mobile devices I get a pop-up calendar option to select the date quickly and easily. If I use a "Custom" format, even if I set it as a date customer format ("dd mmm yyyy"), I don't get the pop-up calendar on my mobile device. This may well be the same for other custom formats, but I haven't checked. When creating a "Custome" format, perhaps it would be better to have a drop down box to categorize that format as "date", "currency", etc and that format then…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. False value within an if function is a negative number. How do I change the number to the color red?

False value within an if function is a negative number. How do I change the number to the color red?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Apply button for the Format Cells dialog box

This would simply be the addition of an 'Apply' button in the format cells dialog box. This way formatting changes can be viewed without having to reopen the dialog box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Shortcuts for formatting

Please make the shortcuts the same within Excel!
    Consistency is key :)
    If I want to make a part of a text in a cell superscript, I use Ctrl+Shift+P and the Alt+E to make it superscript. If I want to do the same in a text box (e.g. axis title) in a chart window, I also use Ctrl+Shift+P to get to the formatting, but now I need to press Alt+P to make it superscript.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Rounding should be a FORMAT and not just a function. The Round() function does the job but it is tedious to use.

In the Format->Number, it should have another field for how many digits of rounding needed. For example -3 would round to 123,000.

Also, # of significant digits is critical. For financials, 3 significant digits is plenty. Sometimes only 2 is needed. If less than sqrt(10), then 3 digits, otherwise 2 digits is the best (2.5 significant digits).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. In conditional formatting the top ten colour should be green as in market is up, the bottom ten should be pink as in market is down. Thank Y

In conditional formatting, the top ten colour should be green as in market is up, the bottom ten should be pink as when the market is down.
    If the colour was fixed this would save time. Thank You.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. F4 function

Hey - have an issue using F4 function to repeat font color and fill color in the latest Office 365 excel. Version detail as below -

Office 365 MSO 16.0.12228.20232 64-bit
    Win10 Professional 1809 17763.379

Issue is -

pretty much everything action could be repeated using F4 except font color and fill color in this latest version Excel. The tricky thing is, if I'm going to repeat a fill color action without changing the default fill color (which is yellow) - it works. But as soon as I pick a different color from the fill color drop down menu, the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Custom Cell Format Referencing Another Cell For Threshold

Rather than manually adding a threshold value to a cell in custom cell format it would be useful to be able to reference another cell containing the value you wish to use.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base