Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I would like to have the option in Fonts in Excel to change the text to "small caps" and "all caps" as in Word.

I would like to have the option in Fonts in Excel to change the text to "small caps" and "all caps" for titles as in Word.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Under conditional formatting, include the protection tab under the format cells option.

Under conditional formatting, include the protection tab under the format cells option. It would be really handy to be able to lock cells with a condition.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Percentage Point Formatting

It's very common to express a decimal as percentage points.

For example Growth last year was 10%. This year is 15%. The change is 5 percentage points, but saying growth increased by 5% would be confusing (5% increase of 10% is 10.5%)

It would be nice to able to format the value to appear as 5 without having to multiply the true decimal value by 100. Alternatively if I could get the effect of using a "%" sign in the number formatting string without having "%" appear in the cell, that would work as well.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. have a setting for number of significant figures rather than just for number of numbers to the right of the decimal

Currently, format can be set for the number of digits to the right of the decimal. Chemical data can vary over several orders of magnitude for a single parameter, but only 2 or 3 digits are valid as significant figures. Therefore, it would be handy to be able to format cells to show a specific number of significant figures. For example, 0.094686 has 6 digits to the right of the decimal, but if the analysis only has two significant figures, the posted value should be 0.095.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Need a way to find the cell my cursor is in. The user should have an option to pick a way to highlight the current cell the cursor is in.

I want to be able to easily find when my cursor is. The current pale and lame way of minimally highlighting the column/row edge is not sufficiently visible to easily find it. If I am working on a large sheet and I move from one application to the next - it takes me a long time to find the cell I was working in. There's gotta be a way to provide the user with more flexibility in selecting colors for how to highlight the cell the cursor is in - whether the window is active or not. If I move…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow conditional formatting for spilled array formulas

I use an array formula (e.g. RANDARRAY) to insert some numbers. The size of this array may vary, as the array formula is based on cells with values, which may vary.
    In the spilled array I want to highlight some values using conditional formatting. It would be useful, if the conditional formatting could be based on the size of the array, so that the area the conditional formatting applies to shrinks and grows with the size of the array.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Entering Dates after 2030

I'm entering dates going out to 2032, and when I enter dates like 10/1/32, Excel is changing the date to 1932. Excel should be defaulting to 2032 like it does for dates in the 2020's.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove The Conditional Formatting But Keep The Format

Please give us an option to remove the conditional formatting but keep the format.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Restore the Table Layout Tab

Excel has had a Table Layout options for years. These gave many really useful and powerful options.

The Table Formatting tab has disappeared from Excel (while remaining in Word). This has created huge workflow problems, as Excel is now unable to do many very simple and common manipulations. The workarounds waste an enormous amount of time.

Additionally, Microsoft's help and answer archives refer to the Table Layout tab. This means Microsoft is pointing people searching for solutions towards functions that do not exist.

Please restore this feature.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel 2016 should recognize dates after 2029 in XX format

Hi,

Excel 2016 has a problem. It does not recognizes dates post 2029 in the XX format. You HAVE TO type the full year as for example: 2031. If I just type 31; it thinks 1931. I went into the Windows Date settings to change this formatting options but this is not reflected into Excel 2016.
    Please note that when I use Excel 2010 I do not face this problem.
    This is a real pain ********** as all my previous work on Excel 2010 was based on XX format.
    Thanks Microsoft. I hope I did not buy a new Windows…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Support ISO8601 for all locales in date/time formats and for parsing CSV files

ISO 8601 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601) is a widely-recognized international standard for presenting date and time information. If my locale is set to English (United States) in Excel 2016, I must resort to using a custom format to see my date and time presented in ISO 8601 format.

Please add support for at least the most popular ISO 8601 date/time formats for ALL locales.

I also support 8601 for parsing CSV files as in this idea: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/11167638-date

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.

Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.
    Currntly its only possible if you set a background. But this implicates to have the background behind the complete sheet.
    Many Users want to have the feature to paste a picture in a sheet, format the size a.s.o. and have the ability to set it to the background.

Currently if you set such a picture to the background its just related to other pictures but not behind cells. It would be great to have the ability to set it behind cells so that content within the cells is shown above the picture.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Merge cells optically, but not functionally.

Merging cells has the drawback, that it cuts the functionality of the excel file.
    So why not implementing a functionality, that merges cells ONLY OPTICALLY, so that the cells still keep their value and thus the full functionality, but that excel recognizes, when cells in rows that are directly located under the each other, contain the same values and thus just merges the cells optically, but does not merge the values, so that the user sees the merged cells on his monitor, and is able to print the table with merged cells, but still can e.g. sort the rows in…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. New format cell date option: YYYY-MM-DD - facilitates chronological sorting

New format cell date option: YYYY-MM-DD - facilitates chronological sorting

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow conditional formatting to apply a named cell style

Conditional formatting rules must have their formatting manually configured for each rule. It would be helpful to be able to apply a named style to cells that match the condition.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Conditional Formatting Colors

Let the user decide what colors to use in the icon sets, define custom icons, or expand the icons to more than just 4 icons.
    The recent changes to the pastel colors feels like a step backward when your trying to use them to call attention to an item.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fill Color

Sometimes when reconciling spreadsheets i use multiple colors to keep changes, numbers, edits, separated. Every time i need to change the color of my "fill color" it is really frustrating to go to the fill icon, chose the drop down menu, find the exact color i was using just to have to do it all over again the next time i need the "other" color. It would be nice to be able to add multiple "fill color" icons to my tool ribbon that way i can just click the color i need quickly and go back and forth between colors…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Conditional formatting

Please just ‘stretch’ or ‘compress’ the ‘Applies to’ range in conditional formatting every time one adds or deletes a line of data.

While I note this already applies (finally) to preset rules, it doesn’t apply to conditions you made based on a formula.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Date-Time Format

Would like a simple method to format cells to display both Date & Time.
    Currently a date format and time format, but no date-time format, such as yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.
    I waste so much time with custom formats since I more often that not am interested in date and time.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Setting row height from 0.21" (default) to 0.5" on Page Layout does not give the proper Excel Output

Custom Margin Settings for 2 Excel files were both set this way:

Top: 0.5
    Bottom: 0.5
    Left: 0.7
    Right: 0.7
    Header: 0
    Footer: 0
    *no other settings modified

First Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from 0.21" to 0.50"
    Which results in row 21 showing up on the first page,

Second Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base