Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove The Conditional Formatting But Keep The Format

Please give us an option to remove the conditional formatting but keep the format.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need a way to find the cell my cursor is in. The user should have an option to pick a way to highlight the current cell the cursor is in.

I want to be able to easily find when my cursor is. The current pale and lame way of minimally highlighting the column/row edge is not sufficiently visible to easily find it. If I am working on a large sheet and I move from one application to the next - it takes me a long time to find the cell I was working in. There's gotta be a way to provide the user with more flexibility in selecting colors for how to highlight the cell the cursor is in - whether the window is active or not. If I move…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Drop Down List

How about making the drop down list show more than 10 items at a time without having to scroll? Many years ago when using Excel for Mac, the drop down list would run the length of the screen. Not sure if this was a feature specific to Mac, but it would make using drop down lists a lot more useful on a PC.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Setting row height from 0.21" (default) to 0.5" on Page Layout does not give the proper Excel Output

Custom Margin Settings for 2 Excel files were both set this way:

Top: 0.5
    Bottom: 0.5
    Left: 0.7
    Right: 0.7
    Header: 0
    Footer: 0
    *no other settings modified

First Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from 0.21" to 0.50"
    Which results in row 21 showing up on the first page,

Second Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Custom number formats can be saved and reused

I'd think it useful to be able to save new custom number formats and be able to reuse them across multiple spreadsheets without needing to go back in and type the code each time.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Improve Conditional Formatting

This covers several areas I think need massive improvement in Conditional Formatting.

The CF manager is terrible in general, but specifically
    1. there should be a way to nest CFs for compounding rules
    2. overlapping rule ranges should automatically merge themselves, as it is now, managing a CF which has gone through copy-paste several times are incredibly cumbersome to edit.
    3. the Editor itself needs an overhaul to make it more user-friendly and powerful, at minimum, make it so you can select multiple rules, and so the window is resizable.

Rules themselves could use more options, be easier to create,…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. I would like to have the option in Fonts in Excel to change the text to "small caps" and "all caps" as in Word.

I would like to have the option in Fonts in Excel to change the text to "small caps" and "all caps" for titles as in Word.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. there should be a color picker for fill color and font color

there should be a color picker when i select fill color / font color. then i should be able to select a color from anywhere inside excel app.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support ISO8601 for all locales in date/time formats and for parsing CSV files

ISO 8601 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601) is a widely-recognized international standard for presenting date and time information. If my locale is set to English (United States) in Excel 2016, I must resort to using a custom format to see my date and time presented in ISO 8601 format.

Please add support for at least the most popular ISO 8601 date/time formats for ALL locales.

I also support 8601 for parsing CSV files as in this idea: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/11167638-date

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Splitting Cells

If you had the ability to split cells like you can in Word that would be wonderful.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Suggestions for hiding/unhiding rows/columns

We the professionals usually while Analyzing the data hide many a columns/rows and also wants quickly unhide those columns/rows when the work is done.

Current excel features does not have an option to unhide ALL columns/rows at a single go and we have to unhide each row/column individually which consumes cum wastes a lot time.

You must provide a feature that unhide all hidden rows/columns in a single command.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add A Color Picker Tool

A simple color picker tool has been something I have been forever longing for! It would be so nice to have the ability to grab colors from an image on the fly instead of having to use a third-party tool and manually type in the RGB code.

I envision this being an Office Suite feature, where you could grab colors from say a PowerPoint slide or even a web page and fill your selected cells with the exact color.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could even have a column in the pre-formatted Ribbon galleries to update one-click…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Fill Color

Sometimes when reconciling spreadsheets i use multiple colors to keep changes, numbers, edits, separated. Every time i need to change the color of my "fill color" it is really frustrating to go to the fill icon, chose the drop down menu, find the exact color i was using just to have to do it all over again the next time i need the "other" color. It would be nice to be able to add multiple "fill color" icons to my tool ribbon that way i can just click the color i need quickly and go back and forth between colors…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Conditional formatting cell width

Allow conditional formatting to be applied so that cell widths and heights can be specified.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Conditional Formatting

Conditional Formatting is difficult to work with...when using the conditional formatting rules editor, there is no way to scroll through a long list of fields...using the arrow keys creates chaos and adds new fields.

Also, the dialog box are not resizable, greatly increasing the difficulty or using this feature. The cells cannot be resized either

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. New format cell date option: YYYY-MM-DD - facilitates chronological sorting

New format cell date option: YYYY-MM-DD - facilitates chronological sorting

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow conditional formatting to apply a named cell style

Conditional formatting rules must have their formatting manually configured for each rule. It would be helpful to be able to apply a named style to cells that match the condition.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Have favourites format option "box"

My most used number format is #,###.00;RED but I have to go to format, custom etc. Could we have a favourites "box" which might include say 5 format options, number, font, fill etc

Thanks

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Unable to Delete / Hide / Add columns when cells are merged

When you have merged cells on top and then unmerged cells below (merged cells will be a header for January and unmerged cells would be data points like Salary / Budget / Available) you are unable to add / remove / hide specific columns, if you select the Salary column and click hide / insert or delete excel will delete the 3 columns since they are merged together. This bug was not present in earlier verions of excel.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. keep row with next

Bonjour Luc,
    I would like make a suggestion:

As in Word, add in Excel the feature "keep with next" (for a row or a column), to prevent the automatic page break separates two rows or columns.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base