Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Format text in cells

The ability to format the text in a cell from within the cell itself. As an example suppose that I want to have x raised to the 2 power, I can highlight the 2 and make it a superscript to have it in a nice format. However if the 2 were linked to a cell, then I combine the two cells I will get X2, if the cell is then changed to a 3 I get X3 and not x superscript 3. If there were a command that was something like Format(B3,"Superscript") this would be extremely useful. Also the ability…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Lock or protect formatting

It would be good to be able to lock or protect the formatting of cells (including columns, rows and ranges) so that the format is preserved by default when data is pasted in.
    Also, this could be used to prevent Styles from overriding customised formatting of sheets and charts.
    This doesn't have to be password protected - just a safeguard against accidental changes.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Let me specify default Number Formats

I would like to be able to specify the formats of the items in the "Number" group on the Home ribbon in Excel. I would like, for example, to always have the "," button result in a the following format (* #,##0);[Red](* (-#,##0);( "-"??);(@). I would like the "%" button to return #,##0.0%;Red. I would like the "$" button to return ($ #,##0.00);[Red]($ (-#,##0.00);_($ "-");(@) or maybe ($ #,##0);($ Red;($* "-");(@). I would like to be able to customize most of the items in the drop down list.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Conditional Format Cut and Paste

Change standard cut/copy and paste (ctrl + C; ctrl + X; ctrl + V) to not include conditional formatting and add right click option to include conditional formatting. When using standard cut & paste, CF is lost from original cells and pasted into new cells and the area of the CF rules gets messy fast or new rules are created. Similar issue with copy mode. You can paste values to get around, but what if you want other formats to be included in the paste. Removing CF for standard C/P would allow more control over CF rules. Two special paste…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Entering Dates after 2030

I'm entering dates going out to 2032, and when I enter dates like 10/1/32, Excel is changing the date to 1932. Excel should be defaulting to 2032 like it does for dates in the 2020's.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. DO NOT automatically remove leading zero's - give option to never do that

DO NOT automatically remove leading zero's - give option to never do that. You frequently do not have the option to format the columns ahead of time. If leading zero's are in the data there is a reason. Treat those columns automatically as text. If someone wants it to be a number, they can format it as a number.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Under conditional formatting, include the protection tab under the format cells option.

Under conditional formatting, include the protection tab under the format cells option. It would be really handy to be able to lock cells with a condition.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Copy and Paste Row Size

Currently, there's the option to copy the size of a column and paste the width of that column to other columns in a sheet. However, there is no such option if you wanted to copy and paste the height of a row. This would be very valuable. Thanks!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. date picker

we can use date picker control to select the dates

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Restore the Table Layout Tab

Excel has had a Table Layout options for years. These gave many really useful and powerful options.

The Table Formatting tab has disappeared from Excel (while remaining in Word). This has created huge workflow problems, as Excel is now unable to do many very simple and common manipulations. The workarounds waste an enormous amount of time.

Additionally, Microsoft's help and answer archives refer to the Table Layout tab. This means Microsoft is pointing people searching for solutions towards functions that do not exist.

Please restore this feature.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel 2016 should recognize dates after 2029 in XX format

Hi,

Excel 2016 has a problem. It does not recognizes dates post 2029 in the XX format. You HAVE TO type the full year as for example: 2031. If I just type 31; it thinks 1931. I went into the Windows Date settings to change this formatting options but this is not reflected into Excel 2016.
    Please note that when I use Excel 2010 I do not face this problem.
    This is a real pain ********** as all my previous work on Excel 2010 was based on XX format.
    Thanks Microsoft. I hope I did not buy a new Windows…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Copy Conditional Formatting

Allow users to copy conditional formatting rules. For example, I am trying to pair down 240 columns by marking them as "Keep" (green), "Review" (yellow) and "Delete" (pink) using data validation and conditional formatting. It would be nice if I could set up a conditional formatting formula once and then copy and adapt it to the next criteria.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Percentage Point Formatting

It's very common to express a decimal as percentage points.

For example Growth last year was 10%. This year is 15%. The change is 5 percentage points, but saying growth increased by 5% would be confusing (5% increase of 10% is 10.5%)

It would be nice to able to format the value to appear as 5 without having to multiply the true decimal value by 100. Alternatively if I could get the effect of using a "%" sign in the number formatting string without having "%" appear in the cell, that would work as well.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. have a setting for number of significant figures rather than just for number of numbers to the right of the decimal

Currently, format can be set for the number of digits to the right of the decimal. Chemical data can vary over several orders of magnitude for a single parameter, but only 2 or 3 digits are valid as significant figures. Therefore, it would be handy to be able to format cells to show a specific number of significant figures. For example, 0.094686 has 6 digits to the right of the decimal, but if the analysis only has two significant figures, the posted value should be 0.095.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Let add setting to switch gridlines on/off

Now we can do that for current worksheet only. These days it's quite desirable to have an option to keep greedlines off on permanent basis for each new workbook. That could be done using template or by changing/adding registry key https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-ways-of-removing-gridlines-in-Excel-2007.
    That will be much more suitable if we have such option in Advanced section of Options.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Page Setup - Header/Footer - combined feature requests

This idea combines a host of ideas which all call for similar functionality. The individual postings score minimal votes but together they add to 75 votes. I raise this to combine the feature requests, so that it gets prominence as I would dearly like to see this addressed.

Features for the Header / Footer:
    1. include variables based on a cell reference
    2. more than one Picture and Shapes
    3. Print and save dates
    4. Number of pages of the sheet and of the workbook
    5. Add file properties (quick parts in Word)
    6. Option for the header/footer on the…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Conditional formatting

With respect to conditional formatting, that may I suggest that whenever one inserts a line that falls in between the range of ‘applies to’ in the conditional formatting, that the range would simply be adjusted instead of treating the inserted row as being separate in the ‘applies to’ range, and creating other ranges to denote ranges that exclude the inserted range. It’s much more complex editing conditional formatting rules.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make "Conditional Formatting Rules Manager" box resizable

As a programmer myself, I know that this is such a simple idea that could be fixed in seconds with no impact on anything else. There's many many suggestions already mentioning it in with other things going back years, but nothing has ever been done about it... maybe the developers don't even bother reading these suggestions any more?

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Merge cells optically, but not functionally.

Merging cells has the drawback, that it cuts the functionality of the excel file.
    So why not implementing a functionality, that merges cells ONLY OPTICALLY, so that the cells still keep their value and thus the full functionality, but that excel recognizes, when cells in rows that are directly located under the each other, contain the same values and thus just merges the cells optically, but does not merge the values, so that the user sees the merged cells on his monitor, and is able to print the table with merged cells, but still can e.g. sort the rows in…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Cell padding or margin

Ability to define a custom padding in the format cells dialog in Excel.

If I copy and paste a spreadsheet into Word, custom cell margins are available, Excel should include the same option.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base