Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Metric/SI prefix support for number formatting

There is (somewhat hidden) support for engineering notation as a number format (ie: the pre-defined custom number format "##0.0E+0"), but it would be extremely useful to take this a step further and allow for number formatting with SI prefixes. For example, the value 12E3 would display as "12k", 34E6 would display as "34M", 56e-3 as "56m", 78e-6 as "78μ", and so on.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support formatting or rounding to user-specified number of significant figures

I work in a research organization and it's common for us to need to display values to a pre-specified number of significant figures. If you search the internet for "Excel significant figures" you will see a variety of hacks which work to varying degrees. It would be great to have built in support to display to a user-specified number of sig figs. E.g. 1234, displayed to 2 sigfigs, is 1200. Alternately, a built in function which rounds to a specified number of sigfigs would also get the job done.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. DO NOT automatically remove leading zero's - give option to never do that

DO NOT automatically remove leading zero's - give option to never do that. You frequently do not have the option to format the columns ahead of time. If leading zero's are in the data there is a reason. Treat those columns automatically as text. If someone wants it to be a number, they can format it as a number.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add imperial measurement notation. 1 field with feet and inches. Abillity to recognize input format and convert to chosen display format

I want to formata cell as a certain measurement system, feet and inches, millimeters, meters, inches only, feet only, miles etc .
    The field should be smart enough to recognize the input and convert to the display format.

If i choose to display in feet only and I input 2'6" it should show as 2.5'

Cad programs make these conversions routinely.

When using in a formula one would need to specify the format used for calculations regardless of the display format. This would make formulas for load calculations universal.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. high dpi display shouldn't mean different column widths

Excel shouldn't display columns/column widths differently when I open a file on my desktop and my high DPI laptop. If "This string is so long" fits in a column of width 20 on the high DPI laptop, it should fit just the same on the desktop, not overrun the edge of the cell. I'm forever having to adjust column widths when I work on a workbook on one machine then open it on the other.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add another fill option.

There could be two paint bucket icons so you could choose 2 different fill colors. That way when you are color coding data, you can easily use 2 colors instead of having to drop down and select a new color each time.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Drop Down List

How about making the drop down list show more than 10 items at a time without having to scroll? Many years ago when using Excel for Mac, the drop down list would run the length of the screen. Not sure if this was a feature specific to Mac, but it would make using drop down lists a lot more useful on a PC.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Lock or protect formatting

It would be good to be able to lock or protect the formatting of cells (including columns, rows and ranges) so that the format is preserved by default when data is pasted in.
    Also, this could be used to prevent Styles from overriding customised formatting of sheets and charts.
    This doesn't have to be password protected - just a safeguard against accidental changes.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Format text in cells

The ability to format the text in a cell from within the cell itself. As an example suppose that I want to have x raised to the 2 power, I can highlight the 2 and make it a superscript to have it in a nice format. However if the 2 were linked to a cell, then I combine the two cells I will get X2, if the cell is then changed to a 3 I get X3 and not x superscript 3. If there were a command that was something like Format(B3,"Superscript") this would be extremely useful. Also the ability…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Let me specify default Number Formats

I would like to be able to specify the formats of the items in the "Number" group on the Home ribbon in Excel. I would like, for example, to always have the "," button result in a the following format (* #,##0);[Red](* (-#,##0);( "-"??);(@). I would like the "%" button to return #,##0.0%;Red. I would like the "$" button to return ($ #,##0.00);[Red]($ (-#,##0.00);_($ "-");(@) or maybe ($ #,##0);($ Red;($* "-");(@). I would like to be able to customize most of the items in the drop down list.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Copy Conditional Formatting

Allow users to copy conditional formatting rules. For example, I am trying to pair down 240 columns by marking them as "Keep" (green), "Review" (yellow) and "Delete" (pink) using data validation and conditional formatting. It would be nice if I could set up a conditional formatting formula once and then copy and adapt it to the next criteria.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Conditional Format Cut and Paste

Change standard cut/copy and paste (ctrl + C; ctrl + X; ctrl + V) to not include conditional formatting and add right click option to include conditional formatting. When using standard cut & paste, CF is lost from original cells and pasted into new cells and the area of the CF rules gets messy fast or new rules are created. Similar issue with copy mode. You can paste values to get around, but what if you want other formats to be included in the paste. Removing CF for standard C/P would allow more control over CF rules. Two special paste…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Copy and Paste Row Size

Currently, there's the option to copy the size of a column and paste the width of that column to other columns in a sheet. However, there is no such option if you wanted to copy and paste the height of a row. This would be very valuable. Thanks!

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager window adjustable

Can the window on the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager be able to be adjusted so I can see more of my rules?

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Conditional Formatting

Conditional Formatting is difficult to work with...when using the conditional formatting rules editor, there is no way to scroll through a long list of fields...using the arrow keys creates chaos and adds new fields.

Also, the dialog box are not resizable, greatly increasing the difficulty or using this feature. The cells cannot be resized either

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. date picker

we can use date picker control to select the dates

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make "Conditional Formatting Rules Manager" box resizable

As a programmer myself, I know that this is such a simple idea that could be fixed in seconds with no impact on anything else. There's many many suggestions already mentioning it in with other things going back years, but nothing has ever been done about it... maybe the developers don't even bother reading these suggestions any more?

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Cell padding or margin

Ability to define a custom padding in the format cells dialog in Excel.

If I copy and paste a spreadsheet into Word, custom cell margins are available, Excel should include the same option.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Improve Conditional Formatting

This covers several areas I think need massive improvement in Conditional Formatting.

The CF manager is terrible in general, but specifically
    1. there should be a way to nest CFs for compounding rules
    2. overlapping rule ranges should automatically merge themselves, as it is now, managing a CF which has gone through copy-paste several times are incredibly cumbersome to edit.
    3. the Editor itself needs an overhaul to make it more user-friendly and powerful, at minimum, make it so you can select multiple rules, and so the window is resizable.

Rules themselves could use more options, be easier to create,…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base