Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve merging of conditional formatting

When cells are moved within a conditionally formatted range, the rules are duplicated for the destination cells making management of the conditional formats more difficult.

To illustrate the problem, run this macro which conditionally formats a range of cells, copies column C and inserts before column G. Then Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules > for This Worksheet. The rule has been duplicated for the new column F rather than being merged with the original rule which now applies to a 2-area range. This makes changing the rule for the entire range subsequently more difficult and error prone.

Sub…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dynamic Arrays, Spill range format

When a Spill range changes (eg due to the source data changing) it would be nice if any Formatting that is applied to the Spill Formula Cell is also applied to the entire Spill Range.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Clear all" feature should be clearer to spot (and have shortcut)

I teach excel, and it feels like around 90% of students (daily Excel users) don't know the clear all function exists. Also when someone press the delete key, 90% of the time, they mean to press clear all, they just don't know it exists, so they then remove the fill, change the colour, delete borders, unmerge cells etc, These all take many clicks.

I truly believe that MOST Excel users waste time every day because they don't know of the existence of "Clear all". Excel should make this really obvious by 1. Adding a keyboard shortcut (Shift + Delete maybe?)…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bytes-KB-MB-GB-TB

Please add the ability to format cells by computer file sizes - i.e:
    Bytes
    Kilobytes (bytes * 1024)
    Megabytes (bytes x 1024 x 1024)
    Gigabytes (bytes x 1024 x 1024 x 1024)
    Terabytes (bytes x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024)

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Named conditional formatting rules

Named conditional formatting rules - If you could name your rules they would be easier to identify. Also, it would be nice if you could right click a cell and have a choice to add it to a named conditional formatting rule. Excel would need to be intelligent enough to be able to add the cell or group of cells to the rule correctly.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Custom Format for Brazilian months in capital

Allow mmm or mmmm custom formats to capitalize first or other letters of the months by using
    Mmm / Mmmm instead or even
    MMM / MMMM

Specially for portuguese/Brazil. By using custom format, we always have month in lower case.
    We all want to be able to custom format the date and see:
    Jan/2018
    Fev/2019
    Abr/2020
    Out/1979

But in portuguese, only portuguese, this never happens.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Is it possible to have red arrow goes up and green arrow goes down for conditional formatting ?

In the options of the conditional formatting, you can select arrows. The red arrow goes down and the green arrow goes up. Is it possible to have the color in the other way round red goes up and green goes down ?

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Paste conditional formating as static formating

In the same way you can paste values of a sheet with a lots of formulas I would love to paste formating achieved with conditional formatting. On big spreadsheets, conditional formatting can render the workbook unusable, but it's actually quite convenient to define formatting with conditional formatting. I normally paste formating from a hidden row to set anything I need, but I would love a way to leave the sheet to be fast. Am I explaining myself clearly? Having a conditional format set a cell to red, after "pasting conditional formats to static formats" the actual color of the cell…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. drop down list (data validation) scrolling and searching

When opening the list, allow search-as-you-type in the list to choose from.

When the value is selected with single click, do not commit the change. Just close the list with the cell still in change mode. Let the user scroll up and down the values with keys or mouse-wheel and only commit after enter or another mouseclick.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Styles for conditional formatting

The applicability of styles would be greatly enhanced if they could be included in conditional formatting.
    Example:if the value in this cell is zero or negative than it would automatically receive the Bad style, otherwise the Good style. (It is hard to see use for these two styles without them being applied by conditional formatting)

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Metric/SI prefix support for number formatting

There is (somewhat hidden) support for engineering notation as a number format (ie: the pre-defined custom number format "##0.0E+0"), but it would be extremely useful to take this a step further and allow for number formatting with SI prefixes. For example, the value 12E3 would display as "12k", 34E6 would display as "34M", 56e-3 as "56m", 78e-6 as "78μ", and so on.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Conditional Formating

Conditional Formating
    Create an authomatic key or legend always visible, for the conditional formating rules aplied to a table, that improves the understanding of the results when lots of diferent formats are aplied. Allow to apply labels or tags to each format

Improve the template manager, at least, make it bigger, because it's very uncomfortable to check what you have done, and to check where did you aplied the formats and its priority

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Need the ability to format multiple colours of text in one cell for excel online

Currently in Excel Online, when I format the colour of text in a single cell it changes the colour of all text in that cell. I would like the ability to change the colour of highlighted text only so I can have multiple colours of text in one cell.

After looking on multiple forums, I can see this has been an issue for many users for a number of years.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Update AutoFit Row Height Feature To Work At Any Zoom Level

Note: This request assumes there are NO merged cells in the worksheet. It also recognizes the maximum row height of 409.5.

With "Wrap Text" enabled, the "AutoFit Row Height" feature is supposed to automatically increase or decrease the row height to ensure all text in a cell is visible. Unfortunately, the zoom level impacts whether or not the feature is successful. Sometimes, the text in a cell appears as expected: all visible with no extra white space above or below. Other times, “lines” of text are hidden from view. And other times, all of the text is visible, but “lines”…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add imperial measurement notation. 1 field with feet and inches. Abillity to recognize input format and convert to chosen display format

I want to formata cell as a certain measurement system, feet and inches, millimeters, meters, inches only, feet only, miles etc .
    The field should be smart enough to recognize the input and convert to the display format.

If i choose to display in feet only and I input 2'6" it should show as 2.5'

Cad programs make these conversions routinely.

When using in a formula one would need to specify the format used for calculations regardless of the display format. This would make formulas for load calculations universal.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support formatting or rounding to user-specified number of significant figures

I work in a research organization and it's common for us to need to display values to a pre-specified number of significant figures. If you search the internet for "Excel significant figures" you will see a variety of hacks which work to varying degrees. It would be great to have built in support to display to a user-specified number of sig figs. E.g. 1234, displayed to 2 sigfigs, is 1200. Alternately, a built in function which rounds to a specified number of sigfigs would also get the job done.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. high dpi display shouldn't mean different column widths

Excel shouldn't display columns/column widths differently when I open a file on my desktop and my high DPI laptop. If "This string is so long" fits in a column of width 20 on the high DPI laptop, it should fit just the same on the desktop, not overrun the edge of the cell. I'm forever having to adjust column widths when I work on a workbook on one machine then open it on the other.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Improve Conditional Formatting

This covers several areas I think need massive improvement in Conditional Formatting.

The CF manager is terrible in general, but specifically
    1. there should be a way to nest CFs for compounding rules
    2. overlapping rule ranges should automatically merge themselves, as it is now, managing a CF which has gone through copy-paste (or Format Paints) several times are incredibly cumbersome to edit.
    3. the Editor itself needs an overhaul to make it more user-friendly and powerful, at minimum, make it so you can select multiple rules, and so the window is resizable.

Rules themselves could use more options, be…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add another fill option.

There could be two paint bucket icons so you could choose 2 different fill colors. That way when you are color coding data, you can easily use 2 colors instead of having to drop down and select a new color each time.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base