Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. You seriously need to make unhiding columns/rows more intuitive

You seriously need to make unhiding columns/rows more intuitive. It's currently a deep dive to find option.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Filtered Columns - change colour of icon

When a filter is applied in a header row, the filtered column(s) gets a "Funnel" icon to indicate that it has been filtered. In a row where multiple filters have been applied, if, in addition to having the funnel icon, the "filtered" icons came in a different colour - say a limited choice of colours for the user to pick from - then that would make the filtered columns easier to spot. For a user looking for the first time at a file and wanting to find what columns have been filtered, having the "filtered" icons in a different colour…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. have a setting for number of significant figures rather than just for number of numbers to the right of the decimal

Currently, format can be set for the number of digits to the right of the decimal. Chemical data can vary over several orders of magnitude for a single parameter, but only 2 or 3 digits are valid as significant figures. Therefore, it would be handy to be able to format cells to show a specific number of significant figures. For example, 0.094686 has 6 digits to the right of the decimal, but if the analysis only has two significant figures, the posted value should be 0.095.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Stop prompting "Complex formatting that is applied... ..may take a while to display."

I have a chart with just over 4,000 data points. EVERY TIME I draw a chart, I have to click past theis dialog in order to reduce the line style from crayon size to something that looks professional.
    I have a 12-core Xeon box running at 3.5 GHz. Guess what, it doesn't take a while to display.
    Please add a "Never ask me this again" checkbox.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Why did you change default Excel document colors from older versions?

Why did you change default Excel document colors from older versions?

When I open up an older file and need to update it, the available default colors for cells, tabs, etc. is different from versions past.

Why???

This makes it EXTREMELY inconvenient and most ANNOYING when doing changes that we want to make match the documents as we edit them. Right now I'm going through an Excel document and trying to match not less than 10 colors for cells and tabs, making changes in Excel's color selection for future changes to this document's and others' once Excel default colors from…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Find and replace text

When i am find the text after replace, font styles are affected(changed) in the cell contents.
    Please any idea?
    Thanks.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 'No cell overflow' setting

In reports, tables or pivot tables, when the following both conditions are filled:
    - a cell contain text that is longer than the width of the cell, AND
    - the next cell on the row is empty
    Then the text of the first cell overflows in the next cell, making reports not presentable.

Eg:

Cust Name _Jan _Feb _Mar

1 CustomerA $123 $432 $654
    2 CustomerB $876 $676 $365
    3 CustomerC $033 $443 $553
    4 CustomerD ____ $234
    5 Long CustomerE Name $543
    6 CustomerF $876 $676 $365

row 4 & 5 : customers have no sales in Jan or…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Increase/decrease decimal should work regardless of the active cell

If you have a mix of text and numbers selected, then increase/decrease decimal (in the Home tab) will not work if the active cell is text, but it will work and be applied to all numbers if the active cell is a number.

This issue comes up when you have a column of all numbers except for the title at the top. Then when you select the whole column and try to increase/decrease decimal, it will fail until you activate a numerical cell.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide a quick option to toggle the visibility of zero values within the Ribbon. This feature belongs in the View tab of the ribbon, not b

Provide a quick option to toggle the visibility of zero values within the Ribbon. This feature more logically belongs in the View tab of the ribbon, not buried in File\Options\Advanced\Display Options for this Worksheet. I have created a macro in the Personal Macro Workbook and added a button to the QAT to do this :

Sub ToggleVewZeros()
    ' Toggles view zeros on and off
    If ActiveWindow.DisplayZeros = False Then
    ActiveWindow.DisplayZeros = True
    Else
    ActiveWindow.DisplayZeros = False
    End If
    End Sub

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Dynamic headers/footers

Add functionality to allow users to create dynamic/formula-driven headers and footers.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide a way to format text as basis points

In the financial world it is common to express percentage values as basis points. Currently there is no way to format a percentage as basis points without multiplying it by 10,000 (which then changes the value and you can't use it in calculations).
    Essentially you need to have the effect of entering % in the Custom Format without actually have "%" appear in the cell.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Keep cell formatting when removing hyperlink

When entering an URL in a cell, Excel will automatically add an hyper-link on the text. However clicking "remove hyperlink" will also remove any formatting that we may have set before (colours, borders).

This is extremely annoying when dealing with spreadsheets comporting a lot of URLs. It would be better if removing the hyper-link would keep the initial formatting of the cell. Or at least being able to tell Excel that we do not want to automatically add hyper-links on the cells.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve merging of conditional formatting

When cells are moved within a conditionally formatted range, the rules are duplicated for the destination cells making management of the conditional formats more difficult.

To illustrate the problem, run this macro which conditionally formats a range of cells, copies column C and inserts before column G. Then Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules > for This Worksheet. The rule has been duplicated for the new column F rather than being merged with the original rule which now applies to a 2-area range. This makes changing the rule for the entire range subsequently more difficult and error prone.

Sub…

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Clear Formats does not clear formatting on characters

It appears that Clear Formats only works on whole-cell formatting. Formatting on specific characters within the text of a cell is unaffected by Clear Formats, which is probably not what anyone wants.

My suggestion is to either add another clear option where character formatting is not preserved or change Clear Formats to truly clear all formatting. Which one gets implemented depends on how important the preservation is.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Moving Tabs

In the activate window when you right click the arrows it lists all the tabs,I would think the ability to rearrange the tab order in that window would be useful. This could be done by drag or highlighting a clicking an arrow.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Conditional formatting suggestion – managing

This worksheet choice should appear first
    Whenever I have to check on the conditional formatting and clicking ‘manage rules’, the first thing that comes up is the Current selection for the formatting rules. I think it should be ‘this worksheet’.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Metric/SI prefix support for number formatting

There is (somewhat hidden) support for engineering notation as a number format (ie: the pre-defined custom number format "##0.0E+0"), but it would be extremely useful to take this a step further and allow for number formatting with SI prefixes. For example, the value 12E3 would display as "12k", 34E6 would display as "34M", 56e-3 as "56m", 78e-6 as "78μ", and so on.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bioinformatics: gene names errors

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC459209/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC459209/bin/1471-2105-5-80-1.jpg

i have recently noticed this while trying to modify a dataset in excel and importing it back into R, which throws the duplicate rowname error (e.g. sep1 and sept1 get automatically formatted into the same values).

this is a really minor nuisance because most of the work is done in R, and maybe it's better addressed by guys at R. i dunno

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Formatting comments all at once

Set the default format for ALL comments instead of going through Windows-->Tools. That doesn't work!!

I have an old Excel spreadsheet and need to reformat all the Comments at once. That's only possible with a Macro, which for inexperienced users is a royal pain!! Why can't we just set the Comments without three layers of stupid menus and one at a time??!! Who's brain child was that??!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Change automatic border color

Black borders are ugly and take attention away from the data in tables. I would like to be able to switch the default border color to gray, but I can’t do that either at the workbook or the sheet level. This means that I have to manually change the border color or paste formatting every time I add borders.

I’ve tried setting preferences in the Workbook and Worksheet templates in the XLStart folder, but the border preference does not stick.

This is not to be confused with the default gridline color, which can be set in the Advanced Excel option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base