Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. to hide formula on cells

I mean if we protect a sheet, we won't be able to write/edit some cells. for example if we want to protect only the cells which contain formulas & not the whole sheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager window adjustable

Can the window on the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager be able to be adjusted so I can see more of my rules?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. double click drop down

Excel Double-Click Autofill/Copy Cells to be reinstated to the in excel 2019.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. option to open gsheet directly in excel!!

Please add an option to save file in gsheet and option to open ghseet file saved on my drive. I use excel but other end user uses google sheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Cell Formatting as Columns

On occasion there is a use case wherein a cell may contain within it a line-delineated (Alt+Enter) list of items. It would be nice if there was a cell formatting option to format the cell contents into 2 or more columns, given the cell width is sufficient. Such an option could be added to the Alignment tab in the Format Cells modal dialog box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make Scientific values a background feature or at least, add the option to disable it. Please.

Large Numbers are used in for documentation and inventory when using excel. The scientific notation feature causes confusion and frustration. Can you put an option to disable the scientific notation feature in the Options menu, for those who use excel for inventory and documentation.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make URLs automatically turn into clickable hyperlinks

We often export from Power BI into Excel, and the URLs are not automatically clickable hyperlinks. Please make this data automatically hyperlinks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Restore ability to paste text from multiple cells into single cell, without using Clipboard

In past versions of Excel, it was possible to copy text shared over multiple or merged cells and paste this as text into a single cell, simply by double-clicking on the destination cell and selecting paste or CTRL+V.

This option is now greyed out on clicking the destination cell and only possible if the Clipboard is opened and the data manually selected from there.

This wastes time and reduces productivity. It has no benefit. Please restore this simple functionality and reverse this regression.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Multiple item selection from dropdown list

Provide a option for Multiple item selection to cells /column from dropdown list in Excel 365 also remove any selected item from that cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Relative References when Highlighting Duplicate Values using Conditional Formatting

Conditional Formatting on Duplicate Values does not support application/evaluation across rows on a large spreadsheet without writing a unique CF formula for each individual row. Attempts to use Relative Cell References (e.g., Applies To "=$A1:$L1000) automatically revert to absolute references ($A$1:$L$1000) and then search for duplicate values for the entire range instead of row by row.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix a Bug Excel

During spell check inside a cell, after accepting the correction for a single word, the whole cell loosing the font color format. All red ones is turning to black.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create a shapely compact table

***** or slope the uppermost cells, so that lengthy header titles can be displayed without making the tale too bulky,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Font Tab

Add the "Change Case" function as in MS Word to MS Excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. It is impossible to enter the string "ESLE" into any cell. Cancelling with ' or typing "="ESLE"" does not work in stopping this bug.

It is impossible to enter the string "ESLE" into any cell without the software out-correcting it to "ELSE". Cancelling with ' before the string or typing "="ESLE"" does not work in stopping this bug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Conditional format change in auto filter mode

I have scenario where in I need to dynamically change the number format to % while changing a selection via validation option.
    These changes are working fine but while view the column in auto filter mode, % are not reflecting
    It is expected that, if you change the conditions in the conditional formatting, it will take the format dynamically as set in the conditional formatting

This is not working as you can see that I changed the format to percentage where as the number format is not getting changed automatically in auto filter mode

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel needs an easy to add/easy to use Checkbox.

Please add an easy to add/easy to use checkbox to Excel. Add a checkbox to one or multiple cells with the click of a button. Click the checkbox to check off an item when needed. My organization just switched to Office, and I'm trying to encourage our group to use more of the integrated Office tools, like Excel. We relied heavily on Google Sheets in the past. An easy add/easy to use checkbox would help. Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. formula driven notes

In Excel, you can right-click on a cell and choose "New Note". It would be very useful if conditional formatting was extended so that one of the formatting options would be to add a note, where the text of the note can be driven by a formula. Here's an example:

I use conditional formatting in tables to highlight cells that don't follow the rules I have established for the table. Duplicate values in a column would be an easy example. Adding a duplicate values highlight is very simple in modern versions of Excel, but sometimes it isn't clear to the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Function to automatically insert page breaks at each designated criteria

I run garnishment reports for each payroll and have to manually set page breaks at each total amount for over 80 vendors. It would be nice to be able to have a function that would insert page breaks at each desired criteria (in my case below each subtotal).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. High and Width-Adjustments input in CM

Um eine präzise Tabelle zu erstellen ist es wichtig genaue Maße zu nutzen. Eine Ergänzung der Funktion zur Höhen & Breitenänderung der Zellen in cm / mm würde den Workflow enorm vereinfachen.
    Leider muss derzeit die Umrechnung von CM in Punkt erfolgen um eine Zelle präzise zu formen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base