Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back 2 formatting shortcuts that were in older versions

There are two in particular.
    1. When changing the format of the number on a chart & selecting "number" you have the option to specify the number of digits. There used to be up & down arrows to use the mouse to change the number of digits; you could keep your hand on the mouse & select the desired number of digits. Now you can only do this from the keyboard.
    2. It used to be possible to make a number of formatting changes to a curve, select a new curve, & press F4 to apply all of those formatting…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Headers with Data Validation

In the Data Validation dialog box, it would me nice if you had a check box, such as "my data has headers", when applying data validation to a while column.
    thank you1

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add imperial measurement notation. 1 field with feet and inches. Abillity to recognize input format and convert to chosen display format

I want to formata cell as a certain measurement system, feet and inches, millimeters, meters, inches only, feet only, miles etc .
    The field should be smart enough to recognize the input and convert to the display format.

If i choose to display in feet only and I input 2'6" it should show as 2.5'

Cad programs make these conversions routinely.

When using in a formula one would need to specify the format used for calculations regardless of the display format. This would make formulas for load calculations universal.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow me to change/set new defaults for CSV imports

I have several CSV files each day to import into an excel spreadsheet. I need the formatting to remain the same in the cells into which they are imported. Calculations and other things are done based formulae I have set.

Every import I have to change the default from "Adjust column width" (1st screen shot) to the second screen shot.

I don't want the columns adjusted...that messes up the column label.

Please make it so I can choose "as default" to not adjust columns.

You can see screenshots here.... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-excel/import-default-for-csv-files-id-like-to-have/ed89322d-6e6e-41f7-ae67-94c6846d2c40

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Improve Excel Profile usage options

There are many great ways that Excel likes to be helpful. Often its helpfullness gets in the of a simple task such as entering a number. If there was a method of telling Excel that I am not a mathematician and I don't need my numbers turning into logarithmic formulas when I'm simply importing a datasheet for inventory, invoices, and tracking information. I understand that turning the column into text will prevent that from happening but it also turns other useful features. Maybe what asking for is more granularity options in the way Excel autocompletes information.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Formatting on characters

When referencing a cell containing text with formatting on characters, let the destination cell reflect the formatting on those characters.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Insert Equations Into Cell instead of as floating object

Allow the math equation objects created by "Insert->Equations" to be embedded in a single cell, rather than just a floating object. I would like to use nicely formatted equations as row or column headers and to describe the data or calculations nearby. As a floating object, they lose relative positioning as cell height or width are changed. If embedded in a cell, I would expect the fit to width or height commands to adjust to fit the equation.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Cells formatted with pop-up menus

Advanced formatting of cells or entire columns to show pop-up menu on selected cell to help data entry:
    - Calendar if cell formated as date.
    - Color picker if cell formated as color indicator.
    - Horizontal or vertical quick selection menu with predefined values.
    - and more...

These would make Excel "forms" look better and also faster to fill.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow cells to be conditionally formatted to be locked

I would like to be able to put conditional formatting on cells that allows them to be locked in certain cases, and leave them unlocked in other cases. For example, if someone selects "Yes" for an answer, leave cell B1 unlocked so they can fill it out. If they answer "No", no further info is needed so lock cell B1 (which will allow them to tab directly to the next unprotected cell in a protected worksheet). This would help eliminate confusion on what needs to be filled out and also help speed up the process of filling it out.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. I would like a new Format cell choice - Number without any decimal places

I pull in data to Excel and i need to format several columns as numbers. Every single time i format as Number, it then bumps the decimal places out 2 places and every single time i have to change that to zero. It is a pain. Dont want the decimal places. Can you make a new format, NUMBER and no decimal places? NO use for these decimal places and it creates extra work for me every single time.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fill colors - add a favorites section please.

So I use Excel a lot at work and color-code results quite often. The choices i have .. i dont really use. I like the yellow that is not as bright and a green which is not super-green. So i want these colors to show in the pallete selection choices. Do they? Nope. That is a shame and needs to be improved. Sometimes the recent colors will hold them, but not for long. What we need and this is important.. we need a favorites row of colors for ones we actually use the most! The Standard and Recent dont get…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Lock conditionnal formating ranges

If people copy/paste cells with conditionnal formating, the start range for apply formating change.
    You must look for the cells without formating, or re-create the formating range.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add 'duplicate' or 'repeat' to right-click menu

To insert a copy of selected rows or columns requires: select - copy (ctrl-c) - right click - insert copied cells.

How about: select - right click - insert selection above

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Is it possible to have red arrow goes up and green arrow goes down for conditional formatting ?

In the options of the conditional formatting, you can select arrows. The red arrow goes down and the green arrow goes up. Is it possible to have the color in the other way round red goes up and green goes down ?

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. You seriously need to make unhiding columns/rows more intuitive

You seriously need to make unhiding columns/rows more intuitive. It's currently a deep dive to find option.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Filtered Columns - change colour of icon

When a filter is applied in a header row, the filtered column(s) gets a "Funnel" icon to indicate that it has been filtered. In a row where multiple filters have been applied, if, in addition to having the funnel icon, the "filtered" icons came in a different colour - say a limited choice of colours for the user to pick from - then that would make the filtered columns easier to spot. For a user looking for the first time at a file and wanting to find what columns have been filtered, having the "filtered" icons in a different colour…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. have a setting for number of significant figures rather than just for number of numbers to the right of the decimal

Currently, format can be set for the number of digits to the right of the decimal. Chemical data can vary over several orders of magnitude for a single parameter, but only 2 or 3 digits are valid as significant figures. Therefore, it would be handy to be able to format cells to show a specific number of significant figures. For example, 0.094686 has 6 digits to the right of the decimal, but if the analysis only has two significant figures, the posted value should be 0.095.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Stop prompting "Complex formatting that is applied... ..may take a while to display."

I have a chart with just over 4,000 data points. EVERY TIME I draw a chart, I have to click past theis dialog in order to reduce the line style from crayon size to something that looks professional.
    I have a 12-core Xeon box running at 3.5 GHz. Guess what, it doesn't take a while to display.
    Please add a "Never ask me this again" checkbox.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Why did you change default Excel document colors from older versions?

Why did you change default Excel document colors from older versions?

When I open up an older file and need to update it, the available default colors for cells, tabs, etc. is different from versions past.

Why???

This makes it EXTREMELY inconvenient and most ANNOYING when doing changes that we want to make match the documents as we edit them. Right now I'm going through an Excel document and trying to match not less than 10 colors for cells and tabs, making changes in Excel's color selection for future changes to this document's and others' once Excel default colors from…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base