Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dot/coma problem on numeric keyboard if switch English to another language

I use few languages in excel. (Mac office 2016/ MAC)
    All languages regional settings on mac are same: decimal=[.]
    But it works OK only for US language. When i switch to another language in excel and type numbers my numeric keyboard type [,] instead of [.]

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need a way to find the cell my cursor is in. The user should have an option to pick a way to highlight the current cell the cursor is in.

I want to be able to easily find when my cursor is. The current pale and lame way of minimally highlighting the column/row edge is not sufficiently visible to easily find it. If I am working on a large sheet and I move from one application to the next - it takes me a long time to find the cell I was working in. There's gotta be a way to provide the user with more flexibility in selecting colors for how to highlight the cell the cursor is in - whether the window is active or not. If I move…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Select protected/unprotected cells

In the menu Home > Find & Select > Go to Special, you have many pretty interest way to select cells (formula, blank, ...)

I would like to add to this tool the option protected and unprotected cells.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add an easy way (Ribbon button) to change text casing (UPPER, lower, Sentence, etc.)

Currently Excel is the only Office application that doesn't have the ribbon-button to change selected text to uppercase or lowercase.
    The only way to do it is to use the function =UPPER() and then copy/paste the resulted value into the original cell.
    It would be good to have a button to change the selected text to uppercase or lowercase.

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow us to customise the "right-click menu option"

We are already able to customise the ribbon menus. It would be great if we could also customise the right-click menu options. In particular the following would be useful:

• Conditional formatting

• Styles

However, add these may make it too cluttered for some users, so it would be great if you could choose what items are shown.

This is an extension of this idea by Emma...
    http://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10669878-right-click-for-conditional-formatting

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Alternative number systems as formatting (in particular, binary, octal, and hexadecimal)

The main problem with DEC2BIN, DEC2OCT, and DEC2HEX is that they return text. If you want to do an operation on the "numbers" returned by those functions, you have to operate on the original decimal numbers and use the same conversion function on that. It is impossible to work directly in that alternative number system.

Instead, we should just be able to change the appearance of a decimal number through formatting and do our math on that. There can of course be an indicator of the number system as part of the formatting, probably a subscript.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow us to make and add custom border styles to the list of default borders

I'm tired of clicking the different default borders a bunch of times or going into the "more borders" sub-menu to get what I want. The default borders are great, but I really wish there was a way to create our own border style and have it listed with the defaults. Too often, I find myself going to "more borders" to do 1) both diagonals to "X" the cell and 2) a thick box border on the perimeter and standard thickness border on the inside.

I suppose these could come standard with the software, but I assume everyone has their own…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Tight column fit + wrap text + row autofit = autofit to 1 line more

If you have text in a cell and apply the Wrap Text formatting and then resize the column so that one of the words is close to wrapping onto the next line, then when you autofit the row, the row's height will be as if you have 1 more line than you actually have in the cell.

For example, on a new sheet, if you type "One" (without quotes) in any cell and resize the column to 31 or 32 pixels, then the row will be 2 lines big after autofitting, but "One" still only occupies 1 line. I am…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ordinal Number Format

How about an option to format as ordinal numbers, similar to what can be done in fields in word with *Ordinal

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Clear all" feature should be clearer to spot (and have shortcut)

I teach excel, and it feels like around 90% of students (daily Excel users) don't know the clear all function exists. Also when someone press the delete key, 90% of the time, they mean to press clear all, they just don't know it exists, so they then remove the fill, change the colour, delete borders, unmerge cells etc, These all take many clicks.

I truly believe that MOST Excel users waste time every day because they don't know of the existence of "Clear all". Excel should make this really obvious by 1. Adding a keyboard shortcut (Shift + Delete maybe?)…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Do we need 15 decimal places?

Who needs 15 decimal places? The IEEE round off error were users get, say, 12.3 × E-15 when they expect zero just confuses then and undermines their confidence in Excel and in themselves.

I cannot see any one in the finance world needing 15 decimal places.

Few, if any, engineers/scientist work with that sort of precision. Look up physical constants and you will find they are generally known to only 9 significant figures: Planck constant h = 6.626 070 040(81) × 10−34, were (81) is the std dev in the last two decimal places. Albeit some work with atomic masses…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add A Color Picker Tool

A simple color picker tool has been something I have been forever longing for! It would be so nice to have the ability to grab colors from an image on the fly instead of having to use a third-party tool and manually type in the RGB code.

I envision this being an Office Suite feature, where you could grab colors from say a PowerPoint slide or even a web page and fill your selected cells with the exact color.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could even have a column in the pre-formatted Ribbon galleries to update one-click…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Case Sensitive Date Format Rules

I wish the cell formatting rules for dates were case sensitive. For example, the rule "MMM" outputs "Jan" instead of "JAN"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make vertical alignment default to top of cell

If any column has text wrapping applied, top of cell formatting makes data much easier to read, both on screen and printed version (especially if there are no borders)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Group/ungroup columns and/or rows in multiple sheets at the same time

If we have multiple sheets that have the same amount of rows/columns and we need to group/ungroup certain rows/columns, we should be able to do this in one easy step. Currently we have to group/ungroup information on one sheet at a time and it's very time consuming.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Minimum Row Height

I can currently set the row height to be automatic or set it to a fixed height. When working with tables which contain text, this often leads to a mishmash where rows are randomly one, two and sometimes three rows of text tall. This looks sloppy. I can manually review and set the row height for each row, but why should I have to.

I should be able to set the row height to a minimum value. If the row needs to be taller to fully display a cell with wrapped text, then the row height should automagically increase. This…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow Decimal Indent Formatting and on Both Ends Simultaneously

The current indent formatting uses only whole numbers. I use it often when cells contain a block of text because having the text hit both the left and right cell borders makes it harder to read.

Unfortunately, I can only apply the indent to one edge of the cell (usually the left) and an indent of 1 is too big.

In a better world, I would left indent the chunk of text and apply two decimal values to provide white space along the left and right edges of the cell. The result would look better and be easier to read.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Change Default Auto Fill Option

Currently Double Clicking the bottom right corner of a cell will Auto Fill down to the last populated row in a data sheet. However in doing so it defaults to 'Fill Series' e.g. 1,2,3,4... it would be great to set the default to, say, 'Copy Cells' e.g. 1,1,1,1...

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Vertical text in the footer/header as in Word

Make it possible to add vertical text on the page margin in the footer/header. For example, to have the path and file name standing along the edge of the paper while printing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base