Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In cell, text line spacing (Paragraph options) to be customised as option available in MS word paragraph options

In cell, text line spacing (Paragraph options) to be customised as option available in MS word paragraph options for best fit in cell it helps to control height of the text to required height

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multi-Color Gradients

The ability to add more than two colors within a single gradient. Additionally, allow the user to shift the position and/or blending percentages of each color through the use of a slider.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. sheet tabs

currently the amount of characters allowed per tab is 31 maximium. THIS IS NOT ENOUGH. please make an option to extend the amount to at least 100. If you do this you are good. If you don't you are bad. It is that simple.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make cell highlighting in Find Feature much more obvious than the subtle green box

When I use Control + F (Find), I would like the border around the highlighted cell to be much more obvious (than the subtle green box) or for the entire cell (containing the word or figure that I’m searching for) to change colour.

I just had a Microsoft Online Support Chat and was told this is not possible.

I find it hard to believe that this could not easily be made to be an option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. have a number format that will produce a bar code

have a number format that will produce a bar code

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. ******* stop changing the date format.

Hi. Im a data scientist that uses excel on a daily basis. I am sick and tired of the default changing of date formats. my work a couple of times. **. Just leave em as it is. I want the date format as I've entered it in the original version. Yang pandai2 pi tukar tu pehal la bodooooooo

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More options for formatting chart areas

For work I have to format scatter plots that fill up the entire count allowed and formatting the lines themselves is a chore, but it really shouldn't be. My suggestion is to make an option to highlight all entities you want to format in the same way and be able to apply that formatting in a few clicks. It shouldn't take all day to format over 125 different series the same.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Where is the option Customize Colors?

Hi guys, how are you? I would like to know what happened to the "Customize Colors" feature, which was in the "Layout> Colors" menu. I used this feature a lot and it disappeared from my program. Why? Can you please return with it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Where is the option Customize Colors?

Hi guys, how are you? I would like to know what happened to the "Customize Colors" feature, which was in the "Layout> Colors" menu. I used this feature a lot and it disappeared from my program. Why? Can you please return with it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. UPC format

with all of the advanced features there are in Excel, I can't believe there isn't a UPC code format. Such a hassle. The rounding (which loses digits ) and changing to exponent format is constantly a hassle. There are some solutions provided online which don't seem to work reliably. I've literally probably lost hundreds of hours over my work years over this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow concatenate function to bold/colour/underline only certain parts of a string of text

Creating a "BOLD()" or "COLOUR()" function within the concatenate function would be helpful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Create a transparent text colour

So you can maintain formulas in cells you maybe don't want shown (onto power point for example) without having to colour the background and text the same colour.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Half cell diagonal shading

Half cell diagonal shading

We need a function where we can shade the cells diagonally with 2 different colors.
    Not the diagonal gradient shading of cells. I know that we have that option in excel already.

Thank you. :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Format as table without breaking combined cells

Actualy Format as table command break combined cells, I want for tables with combined cells to use the Format As Table comand without breaking combined cells

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mobilnummer

Savner kategorien mobilnummer under formatering av celler - spesielt - skulle det også vært mobilnummer, gruppert 3-2-2 (999 99 999). Nå står det bare telefonnummer, som blir gruppert 2-2-2-2 (99 99 99 99).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add a DateTimeOffset Format

Expand the Date and Time formatting to include a DateTimeOffset format meeting the IS0 8601 standards.
    yyyy-mm-dd hh:mi:ss.mmm +/- 00:00
    yyyy-mm-ddThh:mi:ss.mmm +/- 00:00

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option to add padding at the top and bottom of a row

Option to add padding at the top and bottom of a row in table formatting and also cell formatting functions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Data Validation with Conditional Formatting

The concept is basic, but the potential application could be GREAT.

Effectively what I am asking for is for either:

1. Data validation to be expanded to include conditional formatting options. E.g. Allow data validation to include conditional formatting rules and/or the inclusion of data bars, colour scales and icon sets.

2. Create a bridge between Conditional Formatting and Data Validation to allow cross collaboration between the functions. E.g. pull data validation into Conditional Formatting options and vice versa. For instance how there is a custom/formula option in both Conditional Formatting and Data Validation.

The introduction of this would eliminate the need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Formatting duplicate values through a slash / Форматирование повторяющихся значений через слэш

Eng.
    Everything is visible in the screenshot.
    The text format of the cells is used so that there are no conversions of numbers to date, while formatting duplicate values is worth filling in red. According to the “opinion” of MS Excel, the numbers 1/1 and 1/20 are the same, 1/2 and 2/20 are the same, etc., the relationship is direct.
    This error exists only with the numbers of the series 1 / X and X / 20, [1 <X <12], X is an integer.
    If my record is not clear to someone, then this is how pairs of "repeating" values…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Correct display of date in formatted cell in hh mm ss.

Cell format hh:mm:ss
    Would be great to type 032537 and automatically have displayed
    03:25:37
    Now it is a mess with calendar date or you have to use laborious : sign in between digits.
    Also, formula of summing the time and give result in hours, minutes and seconds would be very welcome.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base