Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Conditional Formatting chaos in the rules manager when copy & pasting cells - WORKAROUND

The problem of the CF Rules Manager getting convoluted and very difficult to manage (as a result of copy and paste of cells) is well known and documented elsewhere. I have seen spreadsheets where a single Conditional Formatting rule has been duplicated for individual cells 100's of times. I have a partial workaround to prevent the Rules Table turning into a mess which is described in the attached file.

This is a blunt-force solution
    Essentially apply your CF to large range - possibly $A:$XFD - which is every cell in your worksheet, then use formulae to identify which cells to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Conditional Formatting chaos in the rules manager when copy & pasting cells - WORKAROUND

The problem of the CF Rules Manager getting convoluted and very difficult to manage (as a result of copy and paste of cells) is well known and documented elsewhere. I have seen spreadsheets where a single Conditional Formatting rule has been duplicated for individual cells 100's of times. I have a partial workaround to prevent the Rules Table turning into a mess which is described in the attached file.

This is a blunt-force solution
    Essentially apply your CF to large range - possibly $A:$XFD - which is every cell in your worksheet, then use formulae to identify which cells to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. A preset borders button that's thin interior lines with thick outer border

I'm constantly using thin inner borders and thick outer borders to create easy-to-read tables that delineates details from totals, etc., but there's no present button for it in the borders formatting menu. I know it would save me personally a TON of time to have a single button for that, similar to the existing presets of "top and thick bottom border," and I can't be the only one!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Date And Time Entries Without Symbols - Date Format yymmdd Time Format HHmm

WIN10 uses these formats, Date can be set in REGION (Custom). In the military we use the following formats because they sort better, especially, when more than one year of data is examined. Civilian-MM/DD/YY sorts like this: 01/05/19 - 01/12/18 - 01/16/20. Not in order. Military-YYMMDD(no forward slashes) 180112-190105 - 200116. Excel does not use the Custom REGION settings properly when using a working YYMMDD(wrong case here) format. We also used military time, not just a 24hr clock. Military time does not use a colon (1352hrs vs 13:52). Neither Win10's Custom REGION or EXCEL have this TIME format and you…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Text display for colours [colour-blind]

Provide text display for colours on the colour panel. This will be very helpful and useful for colour blind like me. This should be practised everywhere in Excel. Enclosed print screen fyi.

Guys, please vote for this as this feature will be very helpful for colour blinds.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Output file creation

User should input data through excel cell and output should be provided with fixed length as per prescribed by user.Condition is that even if there less entry in the cell by user but output should be provide fixed length as prescribed

example
    input cell - Name (10 characters)
    output cell in fixed length (15 characters)

excel shall automatically fill 5 character and provide output in 15 character fixed length TEXT file(*.txt)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Output file creation

User should input data through excel cell and output should be provided with fixed length as per prescribed by user.Condition is that even if there less entry in the cell by user but output should be provide fixed length as prescribed

example
    input cell - Name (10 characters)
    output cell in fixed length (15 characters)

excel shall automatically fill 5 character and provide output in 15 character fixed length TEXT file(*.txt)

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Reorder your account list

Reorder your account list

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. equation of nonlinear trendline on ipad

I need my Physics kids to be able to plot data and get an equation of a trendline that may or may not be linear. We figured out how to get everything for the linear one, and we can put an exponential line to fit curved data, but the equation does not show up on the graph for them to use.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Modification de la mise en forme conditionnel dans Excel pour le web

Bonjour,

Étant en travail à distance obligatoire, je constate l'information suivante:

"Important : Vous pouvez examiner et supprimer les règles dans Excel pour le web, mais pour les éditer ou changer leur ordre de priorité, vous devez modifier le fichier à l’aide d’une version de bureau d’Excel."

Étant donné que c'est une fonction que j'utilise dans presque tous mes tableaux Excel, ce serait vraiment apprécié que celle-ci soit fonctionnel le dans Excel pour le web.

Merci infiniment pour votre excellent développement au fil des années; Excel est mon outil de travail préféré suivi de Outlook!

Annie Séguin, enseignante-orthopédagogue

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Basic select function

When the cursor is on a single cell, currently, it selects a single cell by bold black outline. I'd like an option where I can opt to select the entire row with the bold outline, when I shift cells up or down. Alternatively, if I choose a tab color, I'd like the option of the tab color to move along with the cursor and fill the entire row rather than be locked on a single cell.
    Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. watch window for conditional formatting

Set a watch window that shows the conditional formatting results as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Emoji should have version compatibility indicator

Emoji could be very effective in expressing ideas, contents. They makes great tools for presentations in the modern workforce. They makes forms easier to understand, presentations to be more friendly. However, emojis documentation is currently very limited making it's harder for preparers to address visual compatibility. Other presentation aspects of Excel have been improved greatly but emojis have been left behind. It should be time for emoji to surface.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Batch actions on conditional formatting

In conditional formatting screen, please add the option to select multiple rules and delete.
    Rules are being duplicated, so sometimes I need to delete hundreds of rules one by one.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a template to permit printing checks

An extremely useful tool would be a template which would allow printing checks. The spread sheet should contain date, check number, name, amount (with spelled out amount formatted to proper check space), Memo. This could also create a market for printable checks with appropriate bank and account information. Printable checks are already available for programs such as Banktivity and Quicken, and it may be possible to adapt them to Excel.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Workbook Independent Paint Bucket Fill Colours

When working on multiple workbooks, Excel cannot remember the fill colour I am using on each Workbook.

If I am manually cross-referencing 2 worksbooks, colouring one say, Red, and one Yellow, I have to manually change the paint bucket fill colour from Red to Yellow to Red to Yellow ad-infinitum until I'm done.

Why can't Excel remember 1 colour for one workbook, and 1 colour for another?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Could Merge & Center have a keyboard shortcut, and replace one not often used?

Merge & Center is a more widely used feature in Excel, so it should have a keyboard shortcut to minimise time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I used to get ( ) with negative amounts. Now I get -. How can I get ( )?

Negative $500.00 should be shown as (500.00), not -$500.00

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow conditional formatting to apply a fill colour in a given cell

I would like to be able to set up a colour table for various options, and use this as the reference for conditional formatting. So I could set multiple colours for different categories, build my rules pointing to these cells, then later change my colour table and have the conditionally formatted cells update.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make it easily possible to formulate a column so the date entered will be a different year than the current year

Make it easily possible to formulate a column so the date entered will be a different year than the current year

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base