Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The perfect square

I use Excel for planning architectural features in landscapes. To do this, I need to format row heights and column widths to make perfect squares. However, in your choices of shapes, I cannot choose a perfect square that allows me to size it as I wish while keeping all sides equal. Having this capability will let me choose row heights and column widths (of my choice) to match the design I'm working on.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE THE FONT SIZE ON THE TABS IN MY SPREAD SHEET

IF i COULD CHANGE THE FONT SIZE I COULD VIEW MORE TABS TO CHOOS E FROM AT ONE GLANCE

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make 1 button that does all of the following: Merge & Center, Wrap text, Left align, Top Align.

I use excel to take notes in class and when I copy and paste paragraphs into a cell and want it to look like a paragraph, I have to select the range of cells I want to merge, then merge them,. Then I have to "wrap text", then I have to left align, then I have to top align. Make 1 button that does it all. Stay classy San Diego

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. It would be helpful to move have the ability to move currency symbols in the format cells/accounting/symbol list.

The idea is to make the list of currency symbols movable in order of use. For example I work with dollars, euros and Thai Baht. When I need to format the money is the desired currency I have to use format cells, accounting, then search for the symbol. If these symbols were at the top of the list (user defined) then it would save me a lot of time. Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Version as a number format in cells

Add support for Version as a number format in cells. Allow for variance of two to four spots with the convention of major.minor.build.revision. Then do proper comparison and sorting functions with it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Default footnote font size

I would like to have a default footnote font on every document. For example, I always want my footnotes to be size 8 font, regardless of the font size on my workbook.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Manage the footer to be shorter

I use Sharepoint, so when i put the full path, I get https://domain.sharepoint.com/sites/"site name"/shared documents/folder name/sub folder name/document name
    It would be nice if i could get the footer to start at "folder name"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create a format for elapsed time

Create a Time format where, for example, 1 minute & 30 seconds would be displayed as '1:30' or '01:30' or 10 minutes & 30 seconds would display as '10:30" ... one hour, 10 minutes, 30 seconds would display as 1:10:30 etc. In doing so, also create a corresponding formula, so this elapsed time may be added or subtracted correctly. For example: @sum .. 01:30..07:45 = 09:15 [one minute, 30 seconds (+) 7 minutes, 45 seconds (=) 9 minutes, 15 seconds]

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Adding Greenhouse Gas/Climate categories in formatting

Climate awareness is flaring but Microsoft does not add any kind of feature or function to use in any softwares such as adding a category in formatting section. For example, put "CO2e" in category section.

There is more and I can provide a bit more ideas for consideration.
    I hope that MS starts this belated features that new generations will use and hear more frequently.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add the ability to paste pictures directly into a cell

It would be very helpful to have the ability to paste an image directly into a cell in an Excel file. And then within that cell you can still resize the image so that your row/column isn't a crazy size. That way when rows or columns are grouped together & collapsed then the image would also collapse with the designated cell.

I work for an interior design firm and my company uses Excel for all of our Furniture, lighting, Art & accessory procurement. We need to include images in these documents to send to clients, trades and for installs. When…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Being able to merge rows only or columns only within a selection.

On selecting a set of cells (multiple rows and columns), having the ability to merge all of the cells in each row or each column would be useful.

I have to do this when setting up table headings. Where the headings may have a master and sub heading for some columns, the rest I have to select and merge cells in all of the other columns one column after another to get this affect, so that centering in height or width then looks better,

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow User-defined Shape Styles

I do not like any of the shape styles (for shapes or text boxes) offered and I have to recreate my own preferred style (outline, fill, shadow) for every new workbook and copy the format every time I want to reuse it. It would enhance usability greatly if we could have user-defined styles for shapes just as you can for cells.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow User-defined Shape Styles

I do not like any of the shape styles (for shapes or text boxes) offered and I have to recreate my own preferred style (outline, fill, shadow) for every new workbook and copy the format every time I want to reuse it. It would enhance usability greatly if we could have user-defined styles for shapes just as you can for cells.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ensure that data populated by formula is treated the same as if entered manually

When a cell/row is formatted to allow for wrapping and auto height, then this should apply regardless of how the cells are populated. ie Currently if a cell has more data than can be displayed in the cell, this is not shown unless it is entered manually or the height adjusted manually after it is populated.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Trivial Way to make a Column Into Clickable Links (as appropriate)

You have a column of Links - make them clickable in one short step

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Best InQuit NSF to PST Converter

With the help of InQuit NSF Converter users split their large files into several small files as per their requirements. The size of the NSF file is not mattered for the conversion task. It supports OS Windows’s version Win XP, Win Vista, Win7, Win 8, Win 8.1, and Win 10 (32bit & 64bit). Download its free trial version and convert the first 50 data items/folder and it also gives 30 days money-back guarantee and free technical support.

Read More: https://www.inquitsoftware.com/en/nsf-to-pst-converter.html

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Making an option to create a white page without grids

Making an option to create a white page without grids

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Blank page at opening

Making an option to create a blank page sheet at opening (without grids)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Is it possible to allow conditional formatting to work on text displayed from a formula

If I enter text in a cell (eg, Feb) I can use conditional format to change its colour. If the 'text' in a cell is the result of using a formula, even though the required text is displayed correctly the conditional format does not work. No matter what I have tried conditional formatting appears only to work on what is entered in a cell, not what is displayed in a cell

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel subcells (unlimited formatting possibilities)

Spreadsheets needs a radical improvement, no spreadsheets at the moment allows subcolumns creating subcells. This would improve the formatting dramatically. We should not have just letters, A, B, C, D... we should be able to divide these columns (letters) in subcolumns and subcells A, A1, A2... but...
    How these spreadsheets would be read? Easy.
    As they are right now (classic style).No subcolumn, no subcell, Column A, Row 2: Read: A2
    Advanced style (subcolumn and subcells), subcolumn A1 Row 2: Read A1#2
    Just columns could be divided with subcolumns, this generates a subcell (comprised with the subcolumn and the row)
    Rows…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base