Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Native Datepicker

It seems obvious, but a native datepicker feature in Excel would be super useful.

So for example, if you set a cell to a particular date format - then you should be able to (when selecting the cell), get an option to open a datepicker and then click on the date, then Excel will input that date however the cell has been formatted.

I believe there are 3rd party add-ons which do this, but it'd be really nice to have this implemented natively.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Conditional Formatting Labels

When you add a Conditional Format via formula, the dialog box currently contains the sections "Rule", "Format", "Applies To", and "Stop If True". Another section should be added called "Label," a text input box

If I have 20 conditional format formulas applied to one cell, I would have to backtrack each formula to remember what each does.

By including a "Label" section, user can input "this formula italicizes text in cell if...(insert met condition)"

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. watch window for conditional formatting

Set a watch window that shows the conditional formatting results as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Emoji should have version compatibility indicator

Emoji could be very effective in expressing ideas, contents. They makes great tools for presentations in the modern workforce. They makes forms easier to understand, presentations to be more friendly. However, emojis documentation is currently very limited making it's harder for preparers to address visual compatibility. Other presentation aspects of Excel have been improved greatly but emojis have been left behind. It should be time for emoji to surface.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Batch actions on conditional formatting

In conditional formatting screen, please add the option to select multiple rules and delete.
    Rules are being duplicated, so sometimes I need to delete hundreds of rules one by one.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Workbook Independent Paint Bucket Fill Colours

When working on multiple workbooks, Excel cannot remember the fill colour I am using on each Workbook.

If I am manually cross-referencing 2 worksbooks, colouring one say, Red, and one Yellow, I have to manually change the paint bucket fill colour from Red to Yellow to Red to Yellow ad-infinitum until I'm done.

Why can't Excel remember 1 colour for one workbook, and 1 colour for another?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Could Merge & Center have a keyboard shortcut, and replace one not often used?

Merge & Center is a more widely used feature in Excel, so it should have a keyboard shortcut to minimise time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow conditional formatting to apply a fill colour in a given cell

I would like to be able to set up a colour table for various options, and use this as the reference for conditional formatting. So I could set multiple colours for different categories, build my rules pointing to these cells, then later change my colour table and have the conditionally formatted cells update.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Last 3 fill cell colours available on ribbon

Having 3 fill colour boxes so your 3 most used colours are available at a click rather than having to keep changing between them constantly

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow users to change case of the text

Please allow the users to change case to like upper, lower, sentence or capitalize the first letter like in all other Office applications

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Like in MS Word we can change the sentence to upper case or lower case. Similarly this feature should be included in excel instead of functi

Like in MS Word we can change the sentence to upper case or lower case. Similarly this feature should be included in excel instead of function in a different cell. becuase if we do not want to keep the same text in another cell. instead of using a temporary solution like hiding that row or column or copy pasting, we should be able to change the case of text using toolbar.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make it easily possible to formulate a column so the date entered will be a different year than the current year

Make it easily possible to formulate a column so the date entered will be a different year than the current year

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Slicer Font

Enable the ability to change the font size of text in a Slicer

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Zip codes with leading zeros are hard to add to a mailing lis in excel

When generating a mailing list in Excel, it is hard to add entries for zip codes that start with 0 since Excel truncates the 0's.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. please allow us to change the default for displaying zeros

Each time I must go in and select this - I see on the internet that many people want this change - please allow us to change the default.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Multiple item selection from dropdown list

Provide a option for Multiple item selection to cells /column from dropdown list in Excel 365 also remove any selected item from that cell.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option to strip all formatting when pasting text

Give me the ability to "lock down" the font settings on a given worksheet. When I paste text from anywhere else into that sheet, the formatting is automatically stripped and the worksheet-specific format is applied

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Merged Cells with wrapped text, can't be autosized

When i merge cells and enter a lot of text then set the merged cell to Wrap Text, I can't autosize the row by double clicking on separator between the rows. I have to manually size the rows.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Feature to select a range and select a blank line every other row

For instance, I want to make a list of 80 items. It is a hassle to go down 2 lines in order to allow for spacing (so list is more pleasing to the eye), and time consuming to insert a row between each line after the list is keyed. Could you select a range and insert a blank line every other row? Same would apply for columns.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. We should have an option in the font group of home tab as capitalize cell. Just like the bold, italic and underline option.

This helps us make the text uppercase in a click instead of typing in the whole stuff in upper case with the caps lock. When we import datasets from outside and we want to capitalize some columns like some Door number code or city code. It is possible to do by adding another column into the excel file and using the =UPPER() function and then copying it and pasting them as values using paste special. But the upper button would help to make it really easier. Anyway, if we want to enter something manually into the dataset, and we need…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base