Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Right click for conditional formatting

Please add the conditional formatting menu to the options available when you right click a cell.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Minimum Row Height

I can currently set the row height to be automatic or set it to a fixed height. When working with tables which contain text, this often leads to a mishmash where rows are randomly one, two and sometimes three rows of text tall. This looks sloppy. I can manually review and set the row height for each row, but why should I have to.

I should be able to set the row height to a minimum value. If the row needs to be taller to fully display a cell with wrapped text, then the row height should automagically increase. This…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Moving Tabs

In the activate window when you right click the arrows it lists all the tabs,I would think the ability to rearrange the tab order in that window would be useful. This could be done by drag or highlighting a clicking an arrow.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bioinformatics: gene names errors

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC459209/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC459209/bin/1471-2105-5-80-1.jpg

i have recently noticed this while trying to modify a dataset in excel and importing it back into R, which throws the duplicate rowname error (e.g. sep1 and sept1 get automatically formatted into the same values).

this is a really minor nuisance because most of the work is done in R, and maybe it's better addressed by guys at R. i dunno

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ordinal Number Format

How about an option to format as ordinal numbers, similar to what can be done in fields in word with *Ordinal

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Tight column fit + wrap text + row autofit = autofit to 1 line more

If you have text in a cell and apply the Wrap Text formatting and then resize the column so that one of the words is close to wrapping onto the next line, then when you autofit the row, the row's height will be as if you have 1 more line than you actually have in the cell.

For example, on a new sheet, if you type "One" (without quotes) in any cell and resize the column to 31 or 32 pixels, then the row will be 2 lines big after autofitting, but "One" still only occupies 1 line. I am…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Conditional formatting check box on/off

Conditional formatting check box on/off
    Make it is possible to have multiple Conditional formatting in a list in an Excel book and turn on and off them (with checkboxes) to choose which shall be active or not. Much like Outlook rules that can be active or not.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add a hotkey for the format painter

For something that is used so much, I can't understand why there isn't a hotkey for it yet.
    Yes I could make my own with a customisable ribbon, but I would really like to not have to do that every time I sit at a new computer

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add support for Epoch time in Date & Time cell formatting options

I frequently work with data where date and time are represented in the Epoch time-stamp format, or where it is preferable to use this format for scripting purposes. Please add support for Epoch time-stamps so that intermediate processing of time-stamps is not required when importing the data to excel.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Group/ungroup columns and/or rows in multiple sheets at the same time

If we have multiple sheets that have the same amount of rows/columns and we need to group/ungroup certain rows/columns, we should be able to do this in one easy step. Currently we have to group/ungroup information on one sheet at a time and it's very time consuming.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow us to make and add custom border styles to the list of default borders

I'm tired of clicking the different default borders a bunch of times or going into the "more borders" sub-menu to get what I want. The default borders are great, but I really wish there was a way to create our own border style and have it listed with the defaults. Too often, I find myself going to "more borders" to do 1) both diagonals to "X" the cell and 2) a thick box border on the perimeter and standard thickness border on the inside.

I suppose these could come standard with the software, but I assume everyone has their own…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. enable the user to dorce particular cells to use a particular data-type (not format)

Will you ever have a way to safely preserve numbers with leading zeros, like phone-numbers?

Currently if stored as a number, the leading zero will be lost. Storing them as text is not a perfect solution, as the software indicates that they are numbers stored as text, and in some operations the data-type is converted to a number, losing the leading zero again. This can be a real pain with long lists of phone numbers or reference numbers.

It would be great to be able to force particular cells to use a particular data-type at all times (not just the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cell tag

It would be good to have Cell Tags, invisible tags which are assigned a colour so that when you click on a cell it fires an event and you can perform a function like drill down to a page, view a subset etc any event really.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Cell formatting - bitmap fill

Not essential, but would be nice to have...
    Please allow a cell (or multiple cells) to be filled with a bitmap image. Options could allow for the bitmap to automatically resize to fill the entire cell, or alternatively, for the bitmap to retain it's aspect ratio within a cell.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Decimal Indent Formatting and on Both Ends Simultaneously

The current indent formatting uses only whole numbers. I use it often when cells contain a block of text because having the text hit both the left and right cell borders makes it harder to read.

Unfortunately, I can only apply the indent to one edge of the cell (usually the left) and an indent of 1 is too big.

In a better world, I would left indent the chunk of text and apply two decimal values to provide white space along the left and right edges of the cell. The result would look better and be easier to read.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Have pre-defined formats also for computer storage capacity (KB, etc.)

Hi,
    I often have to deal with computer storage capacity, MB, GB, TB and so on.
    It's pretty annoying to convert a number in those units every time.
    So I think it would be a nice idea to add also those units among the pre-defined formats, both in the 1024 base (e.g. kilobyte) and in the 1000 base (e.g. kilobit)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. copy text formatting from excel to other applications - and adding a spell checker for excel cells

Currently, when we copy a cell with formatted text in excel and paste it to another application (for example wordpad) the text is pasted as plain text without formatting. So I have to paste it into Microsoft word first then copy from it again to keep the text formatting on pasting to other programmes.

I hope this is addressed in future excel updates (including allowing copying formatter text and adding spell checker into excel cells to allow text correction before copying it into another program without a Microsoft word intermediary.

This will enhance excel use as a database program and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Decimal separator

Generate a new option. The decimal separator is default set to: Use system separators. I Work with both point and comma. It will be a great help, if it is a file option. Let the file decide the decimal separator. Then both systems will work without any settings.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I need to add in URLs but I do NOT want them to be a hyperlink. There seems to be no way to have them as text only. They keep reverting

I need to be able to turn off the hyperlinks! I need the URLs to stay text only.
    I paste in an address, then have to remove hyperlink and then reformat the cell. PITA. and worse, if I click on the cell, it reverts back to a hyperlink. Please let me turn this off!!!!
    It is so annoying to try to work on something and have the dam web browser keep opening.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Pick-list, maintain formatting set in pick-list table, lout, font etc.

When an item is selected from the drop down options in a pick list it would be useful to have the option to keep the formatting set in the pick-list table where Excel finds the data, font, colour etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base