Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix chart formatting

I can't believe how cumbersome and difficult it is to format charts. What is most frustrating, however, is when you set a format and excel randomly decides to change that formatting. It is really surprising this bug has persisted for so long. I can only imagine the hours of extra work that people have done just to fight with excel on formatting.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. If you Format Cells by Date, please allow me to put the month and year. Ex: November 2016. I'd like you to make it one of the Type: functio

If you Format Cells by Date, please allow me to put the month and year. Ex: November 2016. I'd like you to make it one of the Type: functions.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Splitting Cells

If you had the ability to split cells like you can in Word that would be wonderful.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Expanded utility for TEXT()

Expand the application of TEXT() past numbers only. Where the number code currently goes one could instead enter a "mask" that could apply to alphanumeric characters, not just numbers.

For instance, one might have a data cell with contents "1313mockingbirdlane" and in another cell enter =TEXT(A1,"####[ ]Aaaaaaaax") and the output would be "1313 Mockingb". ( posit inserted items going inside [ ], the capital "A" meaning uppercase for that position, the lowercase "a" being lowercase for those positions, and the "x" meaning drop that position combining with the "" to mean truncate at this position. One could do…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Too much space utilized for Formula Bar which reduce the no.of cells visibility

Too much space utilized for Formula Bar. Refer Excel 2010, which is ideal version though 2013 and 2016 are launched it can't beat 2010.

Suggest to change the Font and Ribbon size similar to Excel 2010. No one likes 2013 and 2016 Segoe font at all.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Replace the Fill button with a 4 or 9 color palette box

I frequently use Excel fill colors to manually highlight cells for quick analysis. For example – I might want cells with one value to be red but another value to be green. Using the standard toolbar, it takes 2 mouse-clicks to go from a red fill to a green fill. I think MS should consider adding a very small, 4 or 9 color palette box in the home tab ribbon to replace the current fill color button. A 4 color palette box would barely take up any more room than the current button – and it would let users switch…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More detailed text formatting for concatenated texts

If a cell contains text, then it is currently possible to change the size or the formatting of parts of the text (putting some but not all of it in boldface, for example). However, if the text is computed, for example with the concatenation operator &, then currently any such formatting acts only on the entire text.

It would be very helpful to have functions which apply formatting only to selected sections of text, e.g. FORMAT("boldface";"STOP ")&"doing "&FORMAT("point";28;"that!") or the like.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Excel Footer too many charaters

Our Standard footer has more characters than the allowed limit in Excel 2016. The only work around we have had so far is to convert to an image and paste it into excel.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. the "Layout tab" should exist in Excel

A variety of really good functionality exists in Word and PowerPoint--the Layout tab. This does not exist in Excel. It would be great for consistency and just because this functionality is very good to have that this tab be included in Excel.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. checkbox

the ticks in the Form Control's checkbox are small. Please allow this to be resizeable, not just the outside edge of the box. Makes excel forms look dated.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. in office 2016 , cannot resize the plot area (inside frame) of waterfall chart , no problem for other type of chart

in office 2016 , cannot resize the plot area (inside frame) of waterfall chart , no problem for other type of chart

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Stop excel cells from changing size when large amounts of text is pasted into one cell!!!!!!!!!

Stop excel cells from changing size when large amounts of text is pasted into one cell!!!!!!!!!
    Allow for formating after pasting.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add the feature on the new 2016 Excel Pareto Chart to show the data point values (percentage) on the line.

Adding the data value is a standard feature on other line charts. Just add this feature to your new Pareto charts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make graphs also sensitive for conditional formatting

When the input cells of a graph are formatted with conditional formatting, the graph should also automatically change

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Autorepared range of conditional formating

If you build/change a sheet with conditionals formatings and must copy/paste cells, the ranges of conditionals formatings become long, too long and incomprehensibles.

Often the long chain may be simplify and easy to understand.

Auto simplify function isn't possible ?
    A VBA code ?

Thanks

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Conditional Formatting

The user should be able to set up or to apply the possibility of a conditional formatting to an area or a file for each file and/or tab.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Let me specify default Number Formats

I would like to be able to specify the formats of the items in the "Number" group on the Home ribbon in Excel. I would like, for example, to always have the "," button result in a the following format (* #,##0);[Red](* (-#,##0);( "-"??);(@). I would like the "%" button to return #,##0.0%;Red. I would like the "$" button to return ($ #,##0.00);[Red]($ (-#,##0.00);_($ "-");(@) or maybe ($ #,##0);($ Red;($* "-");(@). I would like to be able to customize most of the items in the drop down list.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Styles for conditional formatting

The applicability of styles would be greatly enhanced if they could be included in conditional formatting.
    Example:if the value in this cell is zero or negative than it would automatically receive the Bad style, otherwise the Good style. (It is hard to see use for these two styles without them being applied by conditional formatting)

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Capitalize First Letter of every word

For my mailing list it would save time if every first letter of a word were capitalized automatically.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)