Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. conditional formating with icons to compare a value in the same column

With the cell just up the active cell, it's impossible. Possible with the first value on the op of the column.
    INDIRECT and INDEX are not supported.

With icons (ie:arrow up:down)
    to see if the value is the same, greater or lower than the value in the just up the activecell. To see the progression.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Word style numbering and formatting

While it is possible to number rows using the ROW formula, it would be nice to have the type of Numbering available in Word to give an easy way of doing list with levels in Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support # in excel hyperlinks for local system files

Currently hyperlinks in excel don't support '#' character. Hence, I am not able to create hyperlinks for local files whose path contain # character.Hence, all characters that are allowed in paths of files should be supported in hyperlinks in excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Landscape and Portrait should be a toggle.

Landscape and Portrait should be a toggle. It would save clicks...there are only two options...one or the other

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Keep cell formatting when editing hyperlink

When you edit a hyperlink (eg the screentip or URL), the formatting gets set back to default hyperlink styling (eg blue underlined Times New Roman). I use completely different styling for hyperlinks (Wingdings, with conditional formatting defining the font colour) and it's so frustrating having to re-apply the formatting once you have edited a detail of it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Give us back our formatting windows, instead of the ridiculous formatting sidebars for objects, among other things.

Give us back the formatting windows, instead of the formatting sidebars for objects in Excel 2016. It is impossible to navigate the sidebars using the keyboard, as one used to the windows, significantly decreasing productivity.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. More formatting options

These are the existing format options available in excel

General

Number

Currency

Accounting

Date

Time

Percentage

Fraction

Scientific

Text

Special

Custom

in most of my business cases i miss all the below fields

Email

Website url map
    Social Facebook Twitter
    Contact Mobile landline

Pincode Country state

Poll Q1 Q2 Q3
    Apps App URL

it would be great if Office can consider adding more formating options
    in word,excel etc

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better default format for a time from a csv file

This is relating to opening CSV files with fields formatted like 12:34:56.789

My Excel sets them to custom format mm:ss.0, which is rarely a useful form to work with the value. I'd prefer if they stayed as text or were a time in HH:MM:SS.000 format.

Sorry for duplicate suggestion of https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/15958735-i-think-the-default-way-to-format-a-time-should-be; I wasn't sure if my comment was seen.
    Currently my system short time format is h:mm tt and long time format h:mm:ss tt.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve cryptic number formatting (##,#) with preview...

Current number formatting using ##.#, ? , semi colons and commas is too cryptic and has no preview and is just doesn't fit the Excel style. Instead, provide a dialog box similar to font selection with instant preview along with conditional formatting, number format separation, color. Also an option to select for positive, negative, zero and text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add 1 button for drawing "all borders" and "thick box border (outside)" of the table at the same time

There are a lot of kind of buttons for drawing borders of the Excel table. But as long as I know the most used ones are "all borders" and "thick box border".
    I have to click both of them most of the time for each table. can you add 1 button for drawing "all borders" and "thick box border (outside)" of the table at the same time ?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add number formats for just hours for calculating time elapsed

When calculating time elapsed, I would like a format option for the answer to show up in just hours instead of hours and minutes. Right now, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm will result in a time elapsed of 8:30. (hours and minutes) I would like an option for it to show up as 8.5 (hours only). This will help in calculating payroll.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create a new orientation in data bar (up to down, down to up)

The current model Data bars in the conditioning format allow just you decide to change the orientation left to right or right to left. Is it possible to get this data bars orientation up to down or down to up. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dedicated Tickmark Ribbon Financial Analysis/Auditing

Make a dedicated Ribbon that contains tick-marks used by every financial analyst as well as auditors. This Ribbon would also have the ability to document what each tick-mark represents in a "legend" of sorts. We use Excel everyday all day and I find myself searching through fonts and conditional formatting icons for the right level of them. For example, I wanted to have a conditional formatting rule that had 6 icons but i am limited to this and had to create a work around for this and ultimately we moved over to another tool that was able to customize icons.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bring back 2 formatting shortcuts that were in older versions

There are two in particular.
    1. When changing the format of the number on a chart & selecting "number" you have the option to specify the number of digits. There used to be up & down arrows to use the mouse to change the number of digits; you could keep your hand on the mouse & select the desired number of digits. Now you can only do this from the keyboard.
    2. It used to be possible to make a number of formatting changes to a curve, select a new curve, & press F4 to apply all of those formatting…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve Excel Profile usage options

There are many great ways that Excel likes to be helpful. Often its helpfullness gets in the of a simple task such as entering a number. If there was a method of telling Excel that I am not a mathematician and I don't need my numbers turning into logarithmic formulas when I'm simply importing a datasheet for inventory, invoices, and tracking information. I understand that turning the column into text will prevent that from happening but it also turns other useful features. Maybe what asking for is more granularity options in the way Excel autocompletes information.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow me to change/set new defaults for CSV imports

I have several CSV files each day to import into an excel spreadsheet. I need the formatting to remain the same in the cells into which they are imported. Calculations and other things are done based formulae I have set.

Every import I have to change the default from "Adjust column width" (1st screen shot) to the second screen shot.

I don't want the columns adjusted...that messes up the column label.

Please make it so I can choose "as default" to not adjust columns.

You can see screenshots here.... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-excel/import-default-for-csv-files-id-like-to-have/ed89322d-6e6e-41f7-ae67-94c6846d2c40

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Lock conditionnal formating ranges

If people copy/paste cells with conditionnal formating, the start range for apply formating change.
    You must look for the cells without formating, or re-create the formating range.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add 'duplicate' or 'repeat' to right-click menu

To insert a copy of selected rows or columns requires: select - copy (ctrl-c) - right click - insert copied cells.

How about: select - right click - insert selection above

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base