Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allowing for hyperlinks to be placed into the 3D maps software for easier integration to the excel workbook

I am currently working on making a master list of Distributors in the US for the company I work for, I am using the 3D map to showcase the locations of the distributors. I only wish I could allow for a link to the data in the workbook where more information is given. To work around this I made a search page to sort through the data table. This change would make the map feature feel more streamline.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Replace all previous keyboard shortcuts, especially Alt+E A to clear a cell.

Replace all previous keyboard shortcuts, especially Alt+E A to clear a cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Please make "Autofit Row height" the default format option.

Please make "Autofit Row height" the default format option.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. DO NOT automatically remove leading zero's - give option to never do that

DO NOT automatically remove leading zero's - give option to never do that. You frequently do not have the option to format the columns ahead of time. If leading zero's are in the data there is a reason. Treat those columns automatically as text. If someone wants it to be a number, they can format it as a number.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Easy 'collapse all' (rows/cols) functionality without losing wrap text, grouping, and automated cell sizing functionality.

Similar to the grouping functionality on excel spreadsheets where you can easily collapse by group / ungroup areas by rows or columns for larger sheets, then it would also be great if you could simply 'narrow' all of the rows or all of the columns to a certain size despite there content, to enable easier review of large sheets with a lot of info in each cell. i.e. an easy 'collapse all' functionality without losing wrap text, grouping, and automated cell sizing functionality.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. borders

I have worked in Excel for years - one thing I am always frustrated with is if I move information in a field whether it is copy paste or click and hold the border comes with it. I then have to stop and fix border. Could you provide a way or is there a way to firm the borders so they do not modify when data is moved?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. BUG: Text formatting results in complete freezing of my screen

EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to press ctrl+B or use the text formatting toolbar my app will freeze for up to 10 minutes. Occasionally it will move out the spinning wheel phase, but I'd say that I have to force quit in order to continue doing anything on my computer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. In cell, text line spacing (Paragraph options) to be customised as option available in MS word paragraph options

In cell, text line spacing (Paragraph options) to be customised as option available in MS word paragraph options for best fit in cell it helps to control height of the text to required height

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Multi-Color Gradients

The ability to add more than two colors within a single gradient. Additionally, allow the user to shift the position and/or blending percentages of each color through the use of a slider.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. excel sum bug

hello i found a excel bug with sum function.
    here steps to reproduce
    1. select 1 and ‭471420‬ click sum

error sum result = 1

here is reason

escape('‭471420‬')
    "%u202D471420%u202C"

%u202C unicode can not format

miss the attachment

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have multiple "recent" colors for cell fill and text in the ribbon at all times

In a given workbook, I frequently use several different colors over and over again for both fill and text. Wouldn't it be great to have those few colors constantly in the ribbon rather than simply the last? Even having just one extra color (last used and second to last used) would be a significant improvement since it is most often that I go back and forth between two colors, whether for cell or text color. If not that, then perhaps a hover/drop down feature that goes to the recent colors when you point at the last.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make cell highlighting in Find Feature much more obvious than the subtle green box

When I use Control + F (Find), I would like the border around the highlighted cell to be much more obvious (than the subtle green box) or for the entire cell (containing the word or figure that I’m searching for) to change colour.

I just had a Microsoft Online Support Chat and was told this is not possible.

I find it hard to believe that this could not easily be made to be an option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. have a number format that will produce a bar code

have a number format that will produce a bar code

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. INSERT - time to grow it up

INSERT - give us number to insert or allow us to put in the number of rows

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ******* stop changing the date format.

Hi. Im a data scientist that uses excel on a daily basis. I am sick and tired of the default changing of date formats. my work a couple of times. **. Just leave em as it is. I want the date format as I've entered it in the original version. Yang pandai2 pi tukar tu pehal la bodooooooo

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. More options for formatting chart areas

For work I have to format scatter plots that fill up the entire count allowed and formatting the lines themselves is a chore, but it really shouldn't be. My suggestion is to make an option to highlight all entities you want to format in the same way and be able to apply that formatting in a few clicks. It shouldn't take all day to format over 125 different series the same.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Need the ability to format multiple colours of text in one cell for excel online

Currently in Excel Online, when I format the colour of text in a single cell it changes the colour of all text in that cell. I would like the ability to change the colour of highlighted text only so I can have multiple colours of text in one cell.

After looking on multiple forums, I can see this has been an issue for many users for a number of years.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Simple Date & Time Picker

Please add Graphical Date & Time Picker in cells options with current & History date and time options.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Introduce Engineering number format for numbers in excel.

This would all selected numbers to display with same exponent eg E03. Very useful for scientific work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. conditional formatting by table, sheet, workbook

Allow us to apply formatting rules to tables, table columns, sheets and workbooks.
    Make sure the rules stay in place when rows/columns are inserted.
    for example, I should be able to create a conditional format that shows cells with formulas in a different color than cells with just values. I should be able to apply this to the entire worksheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base