Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. sheet tabs

currently the amount of characters allowed per tab is 31 maximium. THIS IS NOT ENOUGH. please make an option to extend the amount to at least 100. If you do this you are good. If you don't you are bad. It is that simple.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. please provide different underlining styles

at present only solid line underlining is there in excel. that too breaks in white space. need continuous/non continuous underline option and also include different underlining styles. this helps a lot in report generation.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Paste Special option to paste as Text or as a Number

It would be incredibly helpful to have, as a Paste Special option, the ability to paste as text or as a number. By this, I mean pasting as data type 1 or data type 2. This would save the user from having to manually convert data with the TEXT function or by multiplying by 1 (depending on the data type to which he is trying to convert his data). This would also allow the data to be converted in-place rather than using a helper column or Text to Columns.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Asterisk

Allow for a format of a cell to contain an asterisk after the number as opposed to entering in a separate cell.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. enable subscripting superscripting in axis titles

enable subscripting superscripting in axis titles

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. flip a worksheet across a diagonal

Occasionally I set up a worksheet with, for example 10 rows, and I keep on adding new columns of data to the right, until I have for example 100 columns. By that time, I might wish that I had started off with 10 columns, and added new data by adding new rows at the bottom of the sheet. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to change the orientation of an existing worksheet automatically, with one easy command. Or at least I can't find a way to do this.

I would like to be able to do the following:
    Select…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Digit Grouping in Excel

We need to have an option to change digit grouping in excel for a particular workbook. This is very helpful when we are working in multiple currencies. If we are using US Dollars, we should be able to have digit grouping of 3 digits, i.e. millions, e.g. 123,456,789.00. If we are using Indian Rupees, we should be able to have digit grouping of millions or crores, as we wish, e.g. 123,456,789.00 or 12,34,56,789.00. Currently the only way to make the change of digit grouping is to change digit grouping through Region settings in Windows.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide an option to format a cell as text, all upper case.

Excel (I am using Office 365) NEEDS to provide an option to format cells as text, upper case only, so that all text entered is converted to upper case. Providing the same text formatting options as Word (i.e. Upper Case, Lower Case, Capitalize only the first character of each word, etc.) would really make sense and be welcome by all Excel users, but at minimum Upper Case Only is an absolute necessity.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Treat empty value in Format Cell -> Decimal places as 0

Hello,

Background

1. Press CTRL+1 or RMB -> Format cell.

2. Navigate to either Number, Currency or Accounting category.

3. Leave "Decimal places" field empty.

4. Press OK.

Problem

Whenever you empty "Decimal Places" field you can't go on because error is raised "Your entry cannot be used".

This is annoying because empty field and 0 have the same meaning in this context.
    I noticed that majority of the people using backspace intuitively to make this field empty meaning no decimal places is expected aka 0 but facing with an error message described above.

Proposal

Make empty field and field with 0 value behave…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Button to set cell to Number in comma format, with zero decimal places

I personally don't like Accounting number format, but "comma" button only applies to it. Wish we had similar button, or way to construct one, that did same with Number format, and zero decimal places would be icing on the cake.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please change the default format for the $ in format box to Currency instead of Accounting

I would like to have quick access to the number formats I use the most so I don't have to click on the dropdown, select more number formats and then pick the options I want.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to Define Exact Display Position of Notes/Comments

We've asked for this for a decade!

When you insert a cell comment/note, you should be able to define the exact display positioning for that comment or note on the active window, possibly by defining position relative to the cell, or an upper left coordinate, or otherwise.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide a military time format.

Excel currently allows formatting times in the format of 13:30. For many professions (military, law enforcement, medical, and aviation), the proper format is 1330. This should be easy to accomplish by just eliminating the colon. I checked in other languages, but could not find that option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. change to lowercase/uppercase in the format cells ribbon

change to lowercase/uppercase in the format cells ribbon like MS word and other applications

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. An option to change the default paste style like in MS Word

I'm currently copy-pasting data from a website into a spreadsheet, and have to use the drop-down menu every time to match destination formatting. I've looked for a way to change the default-- but I can't find one.
    It'd save a lot of time and effort if we could have an option like we do in Word to change the default paste style-- please help!

Thank you very much for your time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix issue with not being able to set NumberFormat for DataLabels in Treemap chart

Fix issue with not being able to set NumberFormat for DataLabels in Treemap chart. Cannot set number format for series in Treemap charts but can for all other chart types.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. explain what this error means (((0-0)))

I need the information concealed by these symbols

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Row Height move with data when sorting

Move the row height setting with the row data when sorting. Currently when sorting, rows of data change their location; however, the row height parameter stays in the original location. Cells with lots of wrapped data which sorted into rows with little row height are cut off and cells with little data that sort into rows with more row height have lots of extra space. To correct this requires using one of the row height adjustment methods for wrapped data to fit properly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)