Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add another fill option.

There could be two paint bucket icons so you could choose 2 different fill colors. That way when you are color coding data, you can easily use 2 colors instead of having to drop down and select a new color each time.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Tab arrangements

Would like the option to arrange worksheets vertically too (maybe up to 3 rows of tabs). Makes it easier when files have many worksheets.

Also, in older versions there were arrows that would let you scroll through worksheets and another set of arrows that would go to the beginning or end. The latter set of arrows is gone in the new version. I do not like that feature having been removed.

Thanks

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Changes to colors in Format as Table

The recent update to 1705 removed several of the prior colors that I've been using for YEARS in the Format as Table. Please bring back the original colors & expand on that instead of getting rid of the colors.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Paste special borders only

When pasting formats it messes the other formats such as dates, percetage etc.
    I just want to paste borders and/or cell fill wothout it affect the data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please fix an issue with Excel formatting in the Click to Run edition (Excel 2016)

We have a good number of users with a frustrating formatting issue. This occurs with the Click to Run version of Excel 2016 with documents saved in SharePoint 2013, SharePoint Online or OneDrive.

If the user formats a cell with different text formats (color, font, italic, etc.) and then later changes the formatting of a part of a cell to something different, the formatting "breaks" when the open the document again from SharePoint. Some portions of the cell are formatting correctly, while other revert to a default format and others just lose one part of the formatting (say the text…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Multiple Page Layouts in same worksheet

Within the same worksheet (not to be confused with workbook) i want to have page 1 print with landscape and at a specific scaling, page 2 print portrait and at a different scaling, etc.

i have seen suggestions to just make more worksheets. This would work, but doesnt flow with how my calculation works. The information is ONE worksheet because it makes sense to have it together, flipping back and forth between worksheets to work on this calculation is a waste of time. The solution i want is to print the calculation easily once its complete.

thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add the ability to link the value of a drop down box's number of drop down lines to a cell within the sheet.

Add the ability to link the value of a drop down box's number of drop down lines, to a cell within the sheet. Currently is has to be an "integer or decimal number" but it would be good to be able to set the value to a value within the wookbook

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. LET ME TURN OFF ALL FORMATTING!

JUST LET ME TURN IT ALL OFF. I need to input genes and then run them through a software which I can't if it changes MARCH1 to 3/1 every time without the possibility of turning it off.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Easier adding of rows and columns

A problem with Excel is when you add a row by selecting the adjacent row, it takes on the formatting of that row, when you don't always want it to. A much better way is to add a row in a similar way to a table in Word, where a '+' sign appears if you hover at the end of the row. In a word table you can also add a row above or below the one selected, which is much more flexible. I suggest importing these functions into Excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Cell borders on the left side and top of the worksheet window should be visible in all views. Can't even see if the border is there.

Cell borders on the left side and top of the worksheet window should be visible in all views. Can't even see if the border is there. I have to add rows/columns just to see if it is there

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. left justify across multiple cells

Similar to "Center across selection", add a "Left justify across selection" option as an alternative to merged cells.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Conditional formatting performance improvement

Conditional Formatting;s performance needs to be improved on when being used with filters over 20k rows. We opened a Microsoft premier case and this was noted as an issue. Thank you for any improvements you can make to the tool as it's very useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. AutoSave uses US date and time format in Header

The new autosave functionality ignores regional settings in Windows, and seems to be using Windows UI display language to determine format of "Last Saved" in the header.

It should use whatever the user has set up in regional settings like the rest of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Expanded utility for TEXT()

Expand the application of TEXT() past numbers only. Where the number code currently goes one could instead enter a "mask" that could apply to alphanumeric characters, not just numbers.

For instance, one might have a data cell with contents "1313mockingbirdlane" and in another cell enter =TEXT(A1,"####[ ]Aaaaaaaax") and the output would be "1313 Mockingb". ( posit inserted items going inside [ ], the capital "A" meaning uppercase for that position, the lowercase "a" being lowercase for those positions, and the "x" meaning drop that position combining with the "" to mean truncate at this position. One could do…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Option to limit font selection to the few we actually use

It would be a great help if you offered an option to limit the font list the few any typical user actually uses. Yes, it's a great luxury to have a choice of 218 different typefaces, but since I only ever use two or three, it would be very convenient if I could limit the drop-down list to only those.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Conditional formatting option add

So i noticed this really needs to be improved. When i want to highlight cells based on containing text in a list, there is no easy way to do it. WHy not? So i basically have to right out a detailed OR function. That is not good enough. So the solution is to go back to how it used to be. We choose to highlight cells containing 'C1' then click a button to add another underneath it and select 'C2' etc. Instead of having to add each one from scratch. Silly. Or you could create one that is based on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Clearing Formatting in one click

There is a right click, clear contents.. which i rarely use. But i noticed there is no right click, clear all formatting. Why not? i have to clear fill in color, or the borders and the font color,etc. Takes too many steps. Why not have a clear formats? Is there a way to do that in one click??? i need to do this often and takes time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Multi-Sheet Conditional Formatting at Once

I think multiple sheets, with the same conditional formatting rule on each, should be allowed to select the multiple sheets at one time to adjust the rule. Instead, of going to each sheet and changing them.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make selecting a Font easier by applying the words you have highlighted in the Font dropdown menu instead of the name of each actual font

Instead of the Font dropdown menu consisting of the Name of each font would it be possible to see the words you have highlighted in the font dropdown menu..? The problem with the Font menu only consisting of the Name of each font is that you can only see what each font looks like with that particular word. For example, you can only see what Arial looks like with the word "Arial", or you can only see what Broadway looks like with the word "Broadway", or you can only see what Candara looks like with the word "Candara", etc. So…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. provide a way to format numbers to show decimals as an underlined superscripted number(used in construction and surveying)

provide a way to format numbers to show decimals as an underlined superscripted number(used in construction and surveying)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base