Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add automatic stamp date when adding a comment

It would be nice if the date autopopulated when you add a comment to a cell

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Justify alignment with left-right indent

Hi,

Currently we can only set both right-left indentation in the distributed text alignment, but the last line is distributed too. So I think it would be a good idea that we could indicate indentation on both sides in justified text alignment (see attachment).

Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. underline colour

To be able to change the underline colour

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. I want to set my own default date type so data I import or paste into Excel defaults to a specific date type of my choice

I would like to set my dates to always default to a Short Date type, so that when I paste values in from other applications, or import from SSMS, the dates always show up in the format I want and I don't have to individually change all the date columns.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Independent columns to adjust the rows height differently for each column

I use excel to compile weekly reports because the most convenient way to keep track of weekly updates.

However, when coming to printing, there is a lot of waste.

Basically, my excel sheet is as follows:

Columns: brand names, from a to z.

Rows: weeks, numerical order

So let's say I have Brand A, Brand B and Brand C.
    Going down in the rows, I have the updates of each brand by week 1, week 2, week 3...

Now, for week 1, brand A might have few wording of updates, brand B an entire long paragraph.
    The height of the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. increase/decrease decimal arrows are confusing

I know that the left arrow increases the number of decimal places by 'moving the decimal point left' but what I actually care about is the amount of precision on the right of the point so these arrows confuse me every time I use them. consider making the design clearer!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bookmark tabs within sheets /tabs

Wish my spreadsheets in Excel had a tab function for inside the spread sheet. I wish I had tabs on the left side with bookmarks throughout my sheet I'm working on. I'm a teacher and have multiple classes and grades being put in. I wish I could click on a book mark to instantly spring me to a place on my very loaded spreadsheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Conditional Formatting in Filters

make Conditional formatting to be used in filters.

like background or font colors applied manually are can be used in filiters, but when we have CF it is not showing in filters.

it will make CF more powerfull.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add this date format mmmm yyyy

Add mmmm yyyy to the Format Cells, Date Category so that you don't have to create it as a custom date format. I use this for monthly reports all the time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Separate formatting layer

It would be nice if after setting up the format of my table (color of certain cells, different fonts borders), I could hit a button and it would "freeze" the formatting and when I copy, move or drag down some cells to some cells with different formatting, the original formatting of the destination ell would remain. I know such option is possible by using Paste special, but when I'm doing this with hundreds of cells, it matters a lot whether I have to make 4 clicks per cell or just one

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "Hide conditional formatting" option.

Hide or make non-printable conditional formatting for cases when you need to see the changes in Excel but you don't need them to be printed or exported in PDF.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. PAPER SIZES

IN YOUR INFINITE WISDOM YOU FAILED TO INCLUDE 3 X 5 AND 4 X 6 FILE CARDS FOR AN OPTIONAL PAPER SIZE.NICE JOB, PEOPLE

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Time formatting for race times. Type in 91.35 seconds, have it show as 1:31.35, but still be able to do arithmetic on the seconds

I want to be able to type in race times, e.g. 93.57 seconds and have it display as the more readable 1:33.57 while still providing the ability to do basic arithmetic (minimums, averages, % improvements, etc)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Improve cell border quality when exporting to PDF

Please ensure that formatting applied to cells, especially borders, look as intended when a spreadsheet is exported to PDF.

Background...
    I've noticed that cells that are bordered using the thin, solid line style show up much thicker when exporting to PDF using the driver built-in to Excel. To illustrate, I created a simple experiment using two columns that are bordering using thin and dotted line styles in colors ranging from black 100% to white 5%. I grabbed a screen shot from Excel (what I want) as well as a screen shot from the exported PDF (what I get). See details…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Display ribbon menu options to include text labels or display of text labels on hover of icons

I need text menus. Please enable the ribbon icons to include text labels and also on hover information display options. This could be helpful within any Office program.

I am having difficulty finding Text controls, and using icons alone, within the Excel menu ribbon. I cannot comfortably work in any file I don't want to accidentally corrupt by guessing at commands that have moved, hidden, or are now re-imagined as a graphic. So, in frustration / conclusion - where did Text Wrap go? Thank you for your consideration.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add a warning when values Get Truncated and replaced with Zeros greater than 15 Char in length

I find it sneaky and arbitrary that values get replaced with Zeros if they exceed 15 characters in length. If there was a comment inserted into the cell that zeros were used instead of using all the digits. While this may or may not result in significant digits, it should at least give us a warning in the cell.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please add "IP" functions, formats, formulas, macros, etc.

Please add the format "IPv4", "IPv6", and let us operate (addition, substraction, multiplication, division, subnetting of IPs) also wildcard and subnet mask,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. allow conditional formatting to use percentages greater than 100%

allow conditional formatting rules manager to use percentages greater than 100%

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I would like to have a big button to turn Conditional Formatting On or Off

I work a lot with mutli-sheet workbooks that have a lot of conditional formatting that is very useful, but does slow down calculation and lots of crashes. I would like the option to temporarily turn Conditional Formatting off or on, either for the whole workbook, or individual sheets, so that one can work for a while without the danger of crashes, without the formatting - BUT have it saved so that one can return to it later when needed, just by switching the button back on.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Problem with conditional formatting in pivot table (with more than 1270 rows). Excel 2013/2016

After adding conditional formatting to the pivot table with the format "format all cells based on their values", it works until the table is expanded to more than 1270 rows.
    This problem occurs when the values are in rows, if the values in the columns, it works.

Example when it works: https://prnt.sc/hcv0u0
    Example when it doesn't work: https://prnt.sc/hcv1jt

The problem was tested in Excel 2013/2016.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base