Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Insert Equations Into Cell instead of as floating object

Allow the math equation objects created by "Insert->Equations" to be embedded in a single cell, rather than just a floating object. I would like to use nicely formatted equations as row or column headers and to describe the data or calculations nearby. As a floating object, they lose relative positioning as cell height or width are changed. If embedded in a cell, I would expect the fit to width or height commands to adjust to fit the equation.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop prompting "Complex formatting that is applied... ..may take a while to display."

I have a chart with just over 4,000 data points. EVERY TIME I draw a chart, I have to click past theis dialog in order to reduce the line style from crayon size to something that looks professional.
    I have a 12-core Xeon box running at 3.5 GHz. Guess what, it doesn't take a while to display.
    Please add a "Never ask me this again" checkbox.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow custom icon sets for conditional formatting

At the moment, the build-in icon sets can't be modified. One common problem is the need for a green down arrow / red up arrow.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I would like a new Format cell choice - Number without any decimal places

I pull in data to Excel and i need to format several columns as numbers. Every single time i format as Number, it then bumps the decimal places out 2 places and every single time i have to change that to zero. It is a pain. Dont want the decimal places. Can you make a new format, NUMBER and no decimal places? NO use for these decimal places and it creates extra work for me every single time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow cells to be conditionally formatted to be locked

I would like to be able to put conditional formatting on cells that allows them to be locked in certain cases, and leave them unlocked in other cases. For example, if someone selects "Yes" for an answer, leave cell B1 unlocked so they can fill it out. If they answer "No", no further info is needed so lock cell B1 (which will allow them to tab directly to the next unprotected cell in a protected worksheet). This would help eliminate confusion on what needs to be filled out and also help speed up the process of filling it out.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Metric/SI prefix support for number formatting

There is (somewhat hidden) support for engineering notation as a number format (ie: the pre-defined custom number format "##0.0E+0"), but it would be extremely useful to take this a step further and allow for number formatting with SI prefixes. For example, the value 12E3 would display as "12k", 34E6 would display as "34M", 56e-3 as "56m", 78e-6 as "78μ", and so on.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. After 'Filter' cursor always reinstate to first Row and Column

If I have an excel of huge number of columns and while navigating through ;Nth' column (example : Column AB); if I feel the need to apply filter for the Title Rows and Press on "Filter", it always takes me to first row and column. It would be better if I stay on the same place where I pressed "Filter" which other wise I have to navigate again from first column till the Nth column (in this case : Column AB).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fill colors - add a favorites section please.

So I use Excel a lot at work and color-code results quite often. The choices i have .. i dont really use. I like the yellow that is not as bright and a green which is not super-green. So i want these colors to show in the pallete selection choices. Do they? Nope. That is a shame and needs to be improved. Sometimes the recent colors will hold them, but not for long. What we need and this is important.. we need a favorites row of colors for ones we actually use the most! The Standard and Recent dont get…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Headers with Data Validation

In the Data Validation dialog box, it would me nice if you had a check box, such as "my data has headers", when applying data validation to a while column.
    thank you1

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bytes-KB-MB-GB-TB

Please add the ability to format cells by computer file sizes - i.e:
    Bytes
    Kilobytes (bytes * 1024)
    Megabytes (bytes x 1024 x 1024)
    Gigabytes (bytes x 1024 x 1024 x 1024)
    Terabytes (bytes x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024)

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. "Clear all" feature should be clearer to spot (and have shortcut)

I teach excel, and it feels like around 90% of students (daily Excel users) don't know the clear all function exists. Also when someone press the delete key, 90% of the time, they mean to press clear all, they just don't know it exists, so they then remove the fill, change the colour, delete borders, unmerge cells etc, These all take many clicks.

I truly believe that MOST Excel users waste time every day because they don't know of the existence of "Clear all". Excel should make this really obvious by 1. Adding a keyboard shortcut (Shift + Delete maybe?)…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Copy and Paste Row Size

Currently, there's the option to copy the size of a column and paste the width of that column to other columns in a sheet. However, there is no such option if you wanted to copy and paste the height of a row. This would be very valuable. Thanks!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Paste conditional formating as static formating

In the same way you can paste values of a sheet with a lots of formulas I would love to paste formating achieved with conditional formatting. On big spreadsheets, conditional formatting can render the workbook unusable, but it's actually quite convenient to define formatting with conditional formatting. I normally paste formating from a hidden row to set anything I need, but I would love a way to leave the sheet to be fast. Am I explaining myself clearly? Having a conditional format set a cell to red, after "pasting conditional formats to static formats" the actual color of the cell…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make custom number formats available across workboooks / an application level setting

I have a preferred number format that I use in many workbooks. Each time I introduce it into a workbook, I need to re-write the format string. Excel should make it available in the custom list automatically, given how much I use it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Increase the string length for Highlight Duplicates

Highlight duplicates will not highlight any string with a length longer than 255. Please increase the size or give me a warning when it has encountered a string that is too long.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow line spacing for Excel as you can for Word (ALL Excel versions-not just Windows. Maybe add an option to suggest for all versions).

Allow line spacing for Excel as you can for Word (ALL Excel versions-not just Windows. Also, add the option to suggest for all versions).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support formatting or rounding to user-specified number of significant figures

I work in a research organization and it's common for us to need to display values to a pre-specified number of significant figures. If you search the internet for "Excel significant figures" you will see a variety of hacks which work to varying degrees. It would be great to have built in support to display to a user-specified number of sig figs. E.g. 1234, displayed to 2 sigfigs, is 1200. Alternately, a built in function which rounds to a specified number of sigfigs would also get the job done.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. You seriously need to make unhiding columns/rows more intuitive

You seriously need to make unhiding columns/rows more intuitive. It's currently a deep dive to find option.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Formatting on characters

When referencing a cell containing text with formatting on characters, let the destination cell reflect the formatting on those characters.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Cells formatted with pop-up menus

Advanced formatting of cells or entire columns to show pop-up menu on selected cell to help data entry:
    - Calendar if cell formated as date.
    - Color picker if cell formated as color indicator.
    - Horizontal or vertical quick selection menu with predefined values.
    - and more...

These would make Excel "forms" look better and also faster to fill.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base