Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please allow a function to select more than the 8 default lines in a drop down box.

Please allow a function to select more than the 8 default lines in a drop down box. This would make it easier to scroll drop down boxes of 50 lines or more.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Outlook OST to PST Converter

InQuit OST Converter have features like private and public folder recovery and archive folder migration to office 365 and live exchange server. It is one of the most reliable Exchange OST to PST Converter software in the market that makes use of its advanced deep scanning mechanisms to recover most data out of corrupt/inaccessible exchange databases and convert them into Outlook PST file without any loss of original database. You can convert the data into various formats like EML, EMLX, vCal, vCard, MSG, MBOX, and PST etc. Try the free demo version of the converter to convert 30 emails for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Consistent application of alt+space

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_2016/inconsistent-row-heights-in-excel-table/3524823d-3069-4c18-b7ec-da3f0f52551c?messageId=f209c11d-8975-41e5-86f6-60c8fd963fda

Please see the linked discussion thread regarding inconsistencies with row heights when alt+space has been used to add new lines. It would be nice if there was a way to consistently format the rows in the given scenario.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. It is impossible to enter the string "ESLE" into any cell. Cancelling with ' or typing "="ESLE"" does not work in stopping this bug.

It is impossible to enter the string "ESLE" into any cell without the software out-correcting it to "ELSE". Cancelling with ' before the string or typing "="ESLE"" does not work in stopping this bug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. why can rows or colloums not be locked to stop data being seperated?

I want to be able to lock entire rows or coloums so the data that i am entering will not get seperated or mixed up. In my example I am making a spread sheet with more then numbers to be entered and it has very detailed stuff for legal work and it is important for it to be able to be kept together.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Money in Excel Template

Upcoming Due Dates needs to expand so that more due dates are available

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Money in Excel Template

There is no way to sort the recurring expense or transactions to make it easier to read (A-Z, Amount, etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Change background for "white" border selection

I tend to invert colors for columns in Excel, means black background, white foreground.

When I set border color to white, borders "examples" in the formatting dialog cannot be seen, because the dialog background is white, too. This makes it hard to e.g. choose the thickness of the border AFTER you chose the color, and it is difficult to tell (except from the little buttons) which border is active and which not.

I suggest to darken the background in the dialog if "white" is choosen as border color or even use the background color of the cells, where the border…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Auto outline based on the level specified in a cell

There are many types of data which requires hierarchical presentation using outlining.

Unfortunately, current Auto outline is based on subtotals which ties it only to tables which summarize numerical data (every outline tutorial on the Web based on sales examples). Other data types require either manual outlining (which is basically useless in case of frequent changes) or VB macros.

It would be very useful to be able to to auto outline data based on the level specified on a certain column similar to how Word outlines headers based on list numbers. See attached file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make cell style a valid criteria for logical functions!

Let's say I want to find all the "good" styled cells in a column and add up their values. Normally, I could use a sumif function, but as far as I know, excel does not support cell style as a logical criterion. Allowing this would let me use sumif to pick all the "good" cells in a column and add them. Tying this in with conditional formatting, using rules to set good or bad cells, would make functions and formatting tie in quite nicely.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add multi tick mark tool in Format Axis (Tick Marks)

Let`s consider a plot with Two vertical axes and One Horizontal axis and if I want to have the same tick marks pattern for all of the Three axes then it would be great if I have the tool which can copy the tick mark format of one axis can apply to other axes simultaneously.

(Format axis-Axis options-Tick marks)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please bring back the ability to keep the color palette open while working.

Please bring back the ability to keep the color palette open while working. I miss it so much! It's an old ability that deserves a comeback

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Debug Excel's international date formatting options

If you open a blank excel sheet, and set your column to the date format "English (Canada)", then enter the date 3/10/17, it will autocorrect it to 10/3/17. I can't figure out why this would possibly be. I also can't figure out how to switch it.

Also, when I enter the date 21/9/17, it doesn't recognize it as a date, despite being formatted as such. I checked, and the date format is supposed to be DD/MM/YY. Still, it does this.

Why, after so many years, is it still so challenging to work with dates and time in excel? It's the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Page border in excel

We should have option of Page border in excel (like Ms Word)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Graph Paper should be an option for Excel,,, that is actually square.

On tool bar, choose "Graph Paper" to be provided with row heights and column widths that are in the same units, so that you can choose sizes for to make graph paper with cells that are true square.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Conditional format cells based on the 'time' value entered

Be able to conditional format cells based on the time value entered and when the current time matches that of the cell, it gets highlighted or a symbol appears.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change First Letter Capitalization in Dates (In any language)

I was working on a table with dates and I found a hard time trying to capitalize the first letter of a date. I noticed that in english dates, going in the custom format and adding ;@ would do the job. However, I was working with data in portuguese.

I found out a solution, derived from a support post in Microsoft. The solution would be to use this code: =PROPER(TEXT(Cell Selected,"[$-pt-BR]mmm/yyyy")) You would be able to use it clearer in any date format. And to change to the language you're working, I believe you would have to change from the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable Fill Handle Default

This is not exactly a new idea but, it is a much needed improvement.

While the fill handle is a great tool, it would be much more useful if you didn't have to enable it every 2 minutes while working in the same Excel document.

Please allow the user to set Enable Fill Handle as a default setting so they don't have to re-enable it. . . ever.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Once my form columns & lines are set-up. I would like to be able to drag cell formats vert. or horiz. WITHOUT disturbing the lines!nes!

Once my form column & row borders are established; I would like to be able to duplicate cell calculation formats, by dragging either vertically or horizontally WITHOUT disturbing the existing column or row borders' i.e., WTHOUT bringing cell border format along! In other words, I want to be able to drag cell function formatting into new territory, WITHOUT having to redo the border formatrting each time I expand, correct or revise my form. Please advise?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide shortcut to Copy format style of cell

Please provide the shortcut for copying and pasting format of cell just like in MS Word. CTRL+SHIFT+C to copy and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste format of one cell to other.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base