Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. False value within an if function is a negative number. How do I change the number to the color red?

False value within an if function is a negative number. How do I change the number to the color red?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix More Borders Tool in Ribbon

Issues with 'More Borders' tool. First use of the tool in any session generates a printing error message, all OK after that. is this just my PC Excel (Office 365) with Win10 64 bit Pro - Desktop PC

Annoying rather than an issue but should be easily fixed?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Textbox Shink To Fit (Resize Text To Fit Textbox)

Enable all alignment settings for textboxes.
    Especially the Shrink To Fit setting.
    Often Text linked to a textbox can get cut off if the font size is too large.
    It would be ultra helpful to have a setting that enables that text to shrink.
    Yes, we can auto-resize a textbox to fit text but that can break an excel dashboard interface look and feel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. "Eng" number fomatting

One of the most common formats in numbers is Engineering format, i.e. 1.5E-3, 1.5E-6, 2.34E-9, etc. Used in the scientific community but referred to as Engineering format. 1.62E-2 would become 16.2E-3, which is easier to use in engineering. Would be great to add Eng format to the numbers formatting drop down menu.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Shortcut for paste as values

90% of the time I want to past as values, so as to keep the formatting consistent in the location I am pasting. Rather than having to right click then select "paste as values" it would be good to have a shortcut to be able to do this instead.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can a date/time stamp along with the user info be allowed to be shown for each cell that is edited (populated)?

I want to be able to hover over a cell and get a sense of who/when it was updated. I can possibly modify global properties within the worksheet/spreadsheet to be able to view it or turn it off.
    I often make edits within a spreadsheet that stores date/time based information ( e.g. FF miles or Hotel points ) and then have to put a date on the cell ( next to it ) to remind me the date of edits.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create new table without any formatting

When you create new table by default some formating and table stiles are applied. You have option to click "clear" in design tab. That command clears all formatting; color, background color, etc. But it does not change column width back. New column width stays.

I would like "clear" option to change column with back to the width before table formatting was applied. New column with, when create table is applied, can mess up your file when you import data from outer sources or when you need column with to be persistent.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Paste Match destination option greyed out in excel 2016 , but avilable in excel 2010

Paste match destination option is available in excel 2010 and not in 2016 . This option had been greyed out in excel 2016 . Due to lack of this option, the data can't be copied from one excel workbook to another workbook in the required format as the instances created are distinct. ( i.e. The numbers are copied in "text format" rather than number format.) Paste destination option can eliminate the above issue and get the date copied in the required format by the user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Keep grid display for cells formatted with a color fill

Something that has aggravated me longer than anything else:

Leave the gridline display for cells one formats with a color or pattern fill turned on:

For at least 30 years, the gridlines around the cell are turned off when the format is applied. One must replace them with actual cell borders which, I might mention, do NOT go away themselves if the color or pattern fill is removed. Oh, and select slightly the wrong color for the borders one is adding and it all looks subtly bad.

Simple enough to add a checkbox to the formatting tab to clear the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Problem to be fixed: a cell will reformat (from three to 14 decimal places) if I raise a non-integer to a non-integer power (1.3^0.75).

Problem to be fixed: a cell that I format to show a number to three decimal places will reformat to 14 decimal places if I raise a non-integer to a non-integer power. Example: Cell D7 = 0.75; Cell E7 = 1.2; Cell F7 (which is formatted to three decimal places) = E7 ^ D7

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Conditonal formatting for pivot table row and column labels

Excel allows conditional formatting for pivot table data that automatically updates on refresh.

It would be good to have similar functionality for conditional formatting of the row and column headers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hi

In Home Tab, Editing Group add command that convets formulas to values and add command clear conditional formating
    Besnik Skenderi

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hi

In Home Tab, Editing Group add command that converts formulas to values and add command clear conditional formatting

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow someone to format Cell data as JSON

When someone posts a data in excel cell like

{ Object A { Object B, Object C { Object D}}} , then cell "JSON formatting" (if available) shall format it like

{
    Object A
    {
    Object B
    Object C
    {
    Object D
    }
    }
    }

There are many open source toll which provide this feature of inputting json body and get a beautified version (like https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/).
    If we can do JSON format in excel cell, it will help many people.
    In fact people will use excel just to format data as its readily available in many windows platform.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Merge cells optically, but not functionally.

Merging cells has the drawback, that it cuts the functionality of the excel file.
    So why not implementing a functionality, that merges cells ONLY OPTICALLY, so that the cells still keep their value and thus the full functionality, but that excel recognizes, when cells in rows that are directly located under the each other, contain the same values and thus just merges the cells optically, but does not merge the values, so that the user sees the merged cells on his monitor, and is able to print the table with merged cells, but still can e.g. sort the rows in…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Stop using d-mmm as the default date format when data entered is ##/##

Please make the default use of "d-mmm" go away. Nobody uses this date format. Nobody. Ever.

When "6/12" is entered, the default should be mm/dd/yyyy (or whatever the regional settings dictate).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Conditional Formatting - set formats from an specific cell (ex. formating = $A$1)

That could be really great if Conditional Formatting was an option to set formating = specific cell formating. (example: if [condition]... formating = as $A$1)

So I mustn't go through all Rules descriptions and edit every detail again and again (probably - just to see, which colors look better :) )

With this option, it would be enough to set conditional formatting once*, and if I change the format for those cells I have selected in CF for formats, other cells (depending on conditions) would change their formatting automatically.

(*- of course, if conditions and areas stay the same)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Shortcut to custom formats in quick access olbar

I use a custom format that looks like currency but has dashes instead of zeroes, I'd love to be able to have a shortcut to access that format by pressing Alt+3, for example, on the quick access toolbar. The should also be a shortcut to refer to the currency format, which is a default format! Also, you should be able to define format preferences - I'd love to indicate that whenever I use the currency format, apply it with no decimals and center the formatting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base