Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fill Color

Sometimes when reconciling spreadsheets i use multiple colors to keep changes, numbers, edits, separated. Every time i need to change the color of my "fill color" it is really frustrating to go to the fill icon, chose the drop down menu, find the exact color i was using just to have to do it all over again the next time i need the "other" color. It would be nice to be able to add multiple "fill color" icons to my tool ribbon that way i can just click the color i need quickly and go back and forth between colors…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel needs an easy to add/easy to use Checkbox.

Please add an easy to add/easy to use checkbox to Excel. Add a checkbox to one or multiple cells with the click of a button. Click the checkbox to check off an item when needed. My organization just switched to Office, and I'm trying to encourage our group to use more of the integrated Office tools, like Excel. We relied heavily on Google Sheets in the past. An easy add/easy to use checkbox would help. Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide additional text formatting options.

For cells formatted as Text, I would like to be able to specify text formatting similar to the options provided by the "Change case" function in Word (e.g. Sentence case, lower case, upper case, or capitalize each word).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please provide an easy way to specify the total width of a range of columns

It would be helpful to be able to set a fixed width for a selected range of columns. I would like to be able to select the columns that I intend to use and specify the total width for those columns so that they fit within the page margins. A "Fit to Page" option to make the total width of the selected columns always be equal to the width between the margins would really be nice and that would be most useful to me, but if possible I think it would sometimes be useful to be able to set a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Standard Date Formats

I would think most people using spreadsheets would want dates in a column to line up evenly whether the month or day has 1 number or 2. Example....in order to have 1/5/2019 line up evenly with 10/15/2020, I have to create a custom format every day. So what I am suggesting is for mm/dd/yyyy to be added to the standard date formats, or at a minimum the custom format I set up should remain permanently in the list of my custom formats. It is exasperating to have to recreate this very simple format multiple times a day, every day.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Could you give people the option of turning off autoformatting of dates when typing ranges such as 1-10 or fractions like 1/2?

When typing a range of numbers such as 1-10, Excel automatically interprets this input as January 10. That's fine for people who type a lot of dates, but can be quite annoying if that's not what a person is trying to type. Could you please implement an option for someone to turn this off if they wish?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. header and footer - make it easy to find them ! same as Word !

With every version of Office the position of the headers and footers on the Menus changes
    I spend ages trying to insert a header or a footer.
    Is it under Views, or insert, or layout.
    Stop changing it and make it in the same Menu as Word and NEVER change it again.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow concatenate function to bold/colour/underline only certain parts of a string of text

Creating a "BOLD()" or "COLOUR()" function within the concatenate function would be helpful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Case setting for fonts and conditional formatting

To be able to select text and change a range of text to upper/lower case, and add case to conditional formatting so a range of cells can automatically change the case when inputting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Case setting for fonts and conditional formatting

To be able to select text and change a range of text to upper/lower case, and add case to conditional formatting so a range of cells can automatically change the case when inputting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to add padding at the top and bottom of a row

Option to add padding at the top and bottom of a row in table formatting and also cell formatting functions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Conditional Formatting Labels

When you add a Conditional Format via formula, the dialog box currently contains the sections "Rule", "Format", "Applies To", and "Stop If True". Another section should be added called "Label," a text input box

If I have 20 conditional format formulas applied to one cell, I would have to backtrack each formula to remember what each does.

By including a "Label" section, user can input "this formula italicizes text in cell if...(insert met condition)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Multiple item selection from dropdown list

Provide a option for Multiple item selection to cells /column from dropdown list in Excel 365 also remove any selected item from that cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Preserve large numbers in text format in CSV

Saving to CSV destroys large numbers intentionally stored as text to avoid the scientific notation curse.

I have an 18 digit number in a txt document. I import as comma delimited, forcing text format for the number's column. It displays all 18 digits as text. Good.

I save as .csv and reopen. The text formatting is gone and the number is now in scientific notation with a loss of precision (the last three numbers are 000). BAD!

I start over. I enter the formula ="="""&B2&"""". Upon creating the formula the data is presented as =”345234523454353456” literally.

After saving as csv…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. change data in one area of header/footer on all tabs without changing all the data in all areas please!

we have several tabs that need the same info in the header/footer but also need two areas in the header/footer to be different on each tab. would be great to be able to format this without having to go into each tab for all the same info.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remove the limit of 3 Conditional Formatting Rules

Sadly, we can only define three rules. Whenever we try to add a new rule after that the first rule is overwritten. That is a bug/glitch, not a desirable feature. We should be able to set unlimited rules instead.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 3 letter months

For date format, have one that uses the 3 letter abbreviation for each month.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow conditional formatting rules to change the ACTUAL font color of a cell.

When I use conditional formatting to change the color of the text inside a particular cell or cells, it works to the extent that I see the new color on my screen, but when I go to the immediate window of VBA and ask Excel what the font color of that cell is using range().font.colorindex, it gives me 1, meaning the ACTUAL font color didn't change. Because of this, I can't code for the color of this cell in VBA, which is what I'm trying to do. The way I have things set up, a certain cell could contain a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base