Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a "literal" format

Many times excel interprets a value in a way I don't want it too. But using "Text" does not prevent it from being converted to, say, scientific notation. What we need is a format that will keep the value exactly as it is internally, with no interpretation whatsoever.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Date-Time Format

Would like a simple method to format cells to display both Date & Time.
    Currently a date format and time format, but no date-time format, such as yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.
    I waste so much time with custom formats since I more often that not am interested in date and time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Center Across Selection to the Merge & Center Drop-down

Do you hate Merged Cells? Do you believe Merged Cells are evil? Do you curse every time your selection rectangle goes from one column to five columns just because you touched a merged cell? Do you constantly get workbooks from co-workers who continue to merge cells? Tired of not being able to Sort or Paste because someone merged a cell?

Excel encourages people to use Merge & Center by offering it front-and-center on the Home tab. Thus, few people discover the (superior) Center Across Selection option on the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog.

Currently, the Merge & Center…

490 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow grouping of tabs in Excel

Have an option in Excel to allow for grouping of tabs into sub-groups, and have them stack behind the main tab. clicking on the main would allow you to expand or collapse it's sub tabs. You could also promote a sub tab to main.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.

Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.
    Currntly its only possible if you set a background. But this implicates to have the background behind the complete sheet.
    Many Users want to have the feature to paste a picture in a sheet, format the size a.s.o. and have the ability to set it to the background.

Currently if you set such a picture to the background its just related to other pictures but not behind cells. It would be great to have the ability to set it behind cells so that content within the cells is shown above the picture.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Terminate Scientific Notation... its is inaccurate and changes long strings of numbers

I see Several requests to Remove "scientific Notation" (the equation is inaccurate FYI), but many of these requests are flagged as "Inappropriate".
    The devs need to understand people HATE this feature and ANY form of defense for it is perceived to be nothing more than contrarian pursuits. People are angry that they are paying for a product that has a BUG, THIS NOT A FEATURE, that they have to Deal with. People get annoyed and respond without accord.
    The community has asked for decades to remove this feature, why is it that Microsoft is unwilling or unable to do so?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Offer an option to allow for different locale formatting in a single workbook

My Windows regional settings are FR-CA, so Excel, very smartly, formats numbers and dates accordingly. But, at times, I have to prepare and print reports with numbers and dates formatted according to US settings.
    That gets done on a cell by cell basis, by choosing the format I need among the many choices offered by Excel. And it works, but it's very tedious.
    I wish it were possible to associate specific regional settings with a sheet within a workbook, so that numbers copied from one sheet to another got formatted (and dated) according to the (different) settings set for that…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Naming Groups

It would be helpful to be able to add a name to the [+] button that appears for grouped rows/columns so when your cursor is over the expand button, you will be given a pop-up description of what grouped data you are expanding.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Conditional formatting

With respect to conditional formatting, that may I suggest that whenever one inserts a line that falls in between the range of ‘applies to’ in the conditional formatting, that the range would simply be adjusted instead of treating the inserted row as being separate in the ‘applies to’ range, and creating other ranges to denote ranges that exclude the inserted range. It’s much more complex editing conditional formatting rules.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Hide Shapes With Cells

When a Format Shape Property is set to "Move and size with cells", shapes will become hidden when it's background cells are hidden. The problems is that if you SOME of the columns or rows, the shape is resized.

Add a Format Shape Property to "Hide with Cells" which would hide the entire shape when all rows or columns behind the shape become hidden.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. coditional formatting needs a "consolidate" and "group" option.

I typically apply a conditional format to an entire column. Sometimes while sorting or copy/pasting, it gets all jacked up and makes multiple copies of the same formatting but only applied to some cells in the column. Every once in a while I have to go and manually fix this by making one apply to the entire column and deleting the rest. This can take a lot of time and be very frustrating especially if there is multiple format conditions. In some cases of 10+ formatting conditions, after a few copies or sorts, I'll have hundreds of fragmented formats to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Show recently used fonts in the Fonts Dropdown

Applying a font from the dropdown list of fonts would be much easier if the most recently used fonts are shown at the top.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add ppm cell formatting just like % cell formatting

Just like % cell formatting multiply 100 and add "%" at the end,

We need ppm cell formatting that multiply 1,000,000 and add "ppm" at the end

This is a highly required feature on fields such as Quality Control and Production Management.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable Center Across Selection to be added to the Quick Access Toolbar

Everyone knows merged cells are evil and should only be used as a last resort.
    Center Across Selection is far superior, but you can't add it to the Quick Access Toolbar.
    Please add Center Across Selection to the list of actions that can be added to the Quick Access Toolbar.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Custom Cell Format for text

Allow "T" and "t" as format codes in the input mask (Format Cells > Custom) for uppercase and lowercase text. So, for instance, the cell format could be "T##" to format the input as an uppercase letter followed by two numbers or "TT" for two uppercase letters.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Conditional formatting-when will ever the improvement be done?

I have no idea when will you ever perform the fix in conditional formatting that’s been suggested ages ago! Since 2013! You said in this forum about the need to prioritize, so that you’re accumulating votes!
    But then I’ve voted on a similar idea before, and it was read by Excel staff, and I think this was done in 2016 and still it has not been implemented! When will it be done?!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base