Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back Edit Comments (Legacy) to the Right-Click Menu

The new Threaded Comments that appeared in Build 1809 are awesome for 99% of the people. But for the Commenting Gurus - anyone who has ever taken the time to build help systems by resizing, re-coloring, re-shaping and using Show All Comments, we are going to see our comments get destroyed by well-meaning co-workers.

Yes, all of the legacy icons are available for adding back to the Ribbon, but we the comment gurus can not trust our co-workers and managers to take the time to add these.

My request: If Excel detects any comment in the workbook that is a…

126 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

33 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Number format thousand separator and no decimals

Every time (many days a year) I train people in Excel, someone ask why there is no button or shortcut to obtain a number format with "thousand separator and no decimals". At least - in northern Europe - this is the most common used number format. If "button-solution" not possible for Microsoft in order to have common buttons world-wide, at least a shortcut for this has been much appreciated. (Note that the current button for thousand separator and two decimals could not be used, though the alignment in that format are not disired/good and two decimals used).
      Today I teach…

425 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

97 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should…

13 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add Center Across Selection to the Merge & Center Drop-down

Do you hate Merged Cells? Do you believe Merged Cells are evil? Do you curse every time your selection rectangle goes from one column to five columns just because you touched a merged cell? Do you constantly get workbooks from co-workers who continue to merge cells? Tired of not being able to Sort or Paste because someone merged a cell?

Excel encourages people to use Merge & Center by offering it front-and-center on the Home tab. Thus, few people discover the (superior) Center Across Selection option on the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog.

Currently, the Merge & Center…

424 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

71 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

13 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Merge cells optically, but not functionally.

Merging cells has the drawback, that it cuts the functionality of the excel file.
              So why not implementing a functionality, that merges cells ONLY OPTICALLY, so that the cells still keep their value and thus the full functionality, but that excel recognizes, when cells in rows that are directly located under the each other, contain the same values and thus just merges the cells optically, but does not merge the values, so that the user sees the merged cells on his monitor, and is able to print the table with merged cells, but still can e.g. sort the rows in…

7 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add number format for thousandth (K$) or millions (M$)

Could you please add the number format K for thousandth and M for millions (like 5.8 K instead of 5812)
                It would be very helpful.
                Thanks

23 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • two capital letters followed by lowercase

Please allow me to type in two capital letters followed by a lower case letter. Even when choosing Text or using ' it will not allow it. It constantly changes the second upper case letter to lower case. I do a lot of sheets with colleges. Some instances are UVa or UGa. It always changes the V and G. Please give me a way to enter text as I want it presented. Thank you

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Date formating

Don't have it change the ******* date format to anything other than what I have typed into the block.

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add Conditional Formatting where multiple cells would need to meet criteria to highlight entire row

Add ability to apply Conditional Formatting where multiple cells would need to meet criteria multiple criteria to highlight entire row. For example if cell b1 is x, AND cell d is >x, AND cell j is =< x, highlight entire row.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Dates w/o year

I have a long list of employees with their birthdays. I don't care how old they are (i.e. the year of DOB). I only want to know when to get them a card.

I cannot simply enter MONTH and DAY to sort. If I put in their year, in it sorts by age. If I text format, I get all the April dates...then the August dates...

My workaround is to list every DOB with the year as 2016. It's annoying, but that's the only way I can sort Jan to Dec.

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Merge & Center Cells with Similar Value in Conditional Formatting and NOT in VBA

Sometimes I want to combine any repetitive numbers greater than zero in a row under one label namedm for instance, "Phase 1", "Passed", etc. just like the url below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyg006E_meg

The url shows a guy merging & Centering repetitive numbers into one merged cell using VBA. VBA does not update automatically like formulas and conditional formatting which does not serve my purpose in financial modeling.

please make this happen

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Give users direct control of tab-size & font-size of worksheet-tabs in Excel in Windows 10 - NOT as part of other Windows functions

Give users direct control of tab-size & font-size of worksheet-tabs in Excel in Windows 10 - NOT as part of other Windows functions. This ability was present as part of the "Display - Advanced - Scrollbar" (or whatever) settings of older versions of Windows It should have been and should be now an integrated option within Excel - if users control worksheet fonts and cell sizes, it makes no sense to not control worksheet name fonts and tab sizes.

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• improve custom number formatting navigation

1) allow removal of unused customer number formats from the list of custom number formats (removes clutter created when trying out different custom number formats)
                              2) make the list a MRU (most recently used) list, so you don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom each time you want to reuse a recently created format

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow font color lock that overrides cell's default font color

Currently I work in very large databases of excel +20,000 rows and +30 columns. My excel workbook is issued in revisions. Whenever I change a cell from an old revision of the document I change the cell font color from Black to Red. There should be a way to lock a font color without having to press the font color button on every cell that I enter new data. This is similar to the word feature where once I select the red font button all text is typed in red anywhere in the document until I select a different color.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• In the Format Cells "Number" tab, add an option for Boolean.

In the Format Cells "Number" tab, add an option for Boolean. The formatted cell could then simply be clicked to switch between values.

There could be options for the way the value is displayed (similar to date values and the many ways they can be displayed). For example, the value could be displayed as "Yes/No", "1/0", "True/False", checked/unchecked Checkboxes, "On/Off", or custom values.

This would be very helpful when adding a column to a table where you need to choose a Yes-or-No option for each row. For example, "Add Tax?" or "Include in Summary"? I personally would love to have…

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Enable Center Across Selection to be added to the Quick Access Toolbar

Everyone knows merged cells are evil and should only be used as a last resort.
                                    Center Across Selection is far superior, but you can't add it to the Quick Access Toolbar.
                                    Please add Center Across Selection to the list of actions that can be added to the Quick Access Toolbar.

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability to set the default zoom level for all worksheets.

Ability to set the default zoom level for all worksheets. It should remember my preference on Zoom level. Similar to what you did in outlook as below

Documentation is available here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/zoom-and-stick-56c090bc-e148-44a7-bd06-1290edd38983?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• It is suggested that the page number function and the total page number function be added

It is suggested that the page number function(page) and the total page number(pages) function be added

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Format ditto

Allow a custom number format that shows blank or possibly a user-defined string like '' (very retro) if the cell has the same value as the one above. I know this can be achieved using conditional formatting but it's a real pain to do

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base