Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Number format thousand separator and no decimals

Every time (many days a year) I train people in Excel, someone ask why there is no button or shortcut to obtain a number format with "thousand separator and no decimals". At least - in northern Europe - this is the most common used number format. If "button-solution" not possible for Microsoft in order to have common buttons world-wide, at least a shortcut for this has been much appreciated. (Note that the current button for thousand separator and two decimals could not be used, though the alignment in that format are not disired/good and two decimals used).
    Today I teach…

474 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

101 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel hex color codes for formatting

Please allow to enter Hex color codes when choosing colors for cell fills, borders, fonts, charts, etc...
    RGB and HSV are triple the work!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Setting row height from 0.21" (default) to 0.5" on Page Layout does not give the proper Excel Output

Custom Margin Settings for 2 Excel files were both set this way:

Top: 0.5
    Bottom: 0.5
    Left: 0.7
    Right: 0.7
    Header: 0
    Footer: 0
    *no other settings modified

First Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from 0.21" to 0.50"
    Which results in row 21 showing up on the first page,

Second Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Center Across Selection to the Merge & Center Drop-down

Do you hate Merged Cells? Do you believe Merged Cells are evil? Do you curse every time your selection rectangle goes from one column to five columns just because you touched a merged cell? Do you constantly get workbooks from co-workers who continue to merge cells? Tired of not being able to Sort or Paste because someone merged a cell?

Excel encourages people to use Merge & Center by offering it front-and-center on the Home tab. Thus, few people discover the (superior) Center Across Selection option on the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog.

Currently, the Merge & Center…

465 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

75 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Offer an option to allow for different locale formatting in a single workbook

My Windows regional settings are FR-CA, so Excel, very smartly, formats numbers and dates accordingly. But, at times, I have to prepare and print reports with numbers and dates formatted according to US settings.
    That gets done on a cell by cell basis, by choosing the format I need among the many choices offered by Excel. And it works, but it's very tedious.
    I wish it were possible to associate specific regional settings with a sheet within a workbook, so that numbers copied from one sheet to another got formatted (and dated) according to the (different) settings set for that…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Stop formatting all numbers as dates, as users have been requesting since the 1990s

Automatic date formatting is not useful except for data entry, and it makes use of Excel for anything but the simplest processes a royal pain. Users have been requesting a way to switch this off for DECADES, but all they get in response is some unpaid "MVP" telling them how to use apostrophes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add ppm cell formatting just like % cell formatting

Just like % cell formatting multiply 100 and add "%" at the end,

We need ppm cell formatting that multiply 1,000,000 and add "ppm" at the end

This is a highly required feature on fields such as Quality Control and Production Management.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enable Center Across Selection to be added to the Quick Access Toolbar

Everyone knows merged cells are evil and should only be used as a last resort.
    Center Across Selection is far superior, but you can't add it to the Quick Access Toolbar.
    Please add Center Across Selection to the list of actions that can be added to the Quick Access Toolbar.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Date-Time Format

Would like a simple method to format cells to display both Date & Time.
    Currently a date format and time format, but no date-time format, such as yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.
    I waste so much time with custom formats since I more often that not am interested in date and time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Create new table without any formatting

When you create new table by default some formating and table stiles are applied. You have option to click "clear" in design tab. That command clears all formatting; color, background color, etc. But it does not change column width back. New column width stays.

I would like "clear" option to change column with back to the width before table formatting was applied. New column with, when create table is applied, can mess up your file when you import data from outer sources or when you need column with to be persistent.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Shortcut for paste as values

90% of the time I want to past as values, so as to keep the formatting consistent in the location I am pasting. Rather than having to right click then select "paste as values" it would be good to have a shortcut to be able to do this instead.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Merge cells optically, but not functionally.

Merging cells has the drawback, that it cuts the functionality of the excel file.
    So why not implementing a functionality, that merges cells ONLY OPTICALLY, so that the cells still keep their value and thus the full functionality, but that excel recognizes, when cells in rows that are directly located under the each other, contain the same values and thus just merges the cells optically, but does not merge the values, so that the user sees the merged cells on his monitor, and is able to print the table with merged cells, but still can e.g. sort the rows in…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. A tool is needed for auditing Conditional Formatting formulae

Conditional formatting allows a formula as part of a rule, and that formula may refer to another cell in the workbook. If that other cell is deleted, then a #REF error creeps into the conditional formatting formula.
    Of course a properly constructed formula would allow for such circumstances, but there is no simple method to check the conditional formatting rules to validate them.
    It would be helpful to have a way to download the conditional formatting rules to allow the programmer to audit those rules.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add number format for thousandth (K$) or millions (M$)

Could you please add the number format K for thousandth and M for millions (like 5.8 K instead of 5812)
    It would be very helpful.
    Thanks

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add week (w, ww) to date format

Allow use w or ww in date format, aplying ISO 8601:

Example:

28/Dec/2003, "aaaa/ww" results 2003/52
    29/Dec/2003, "aaaa/ww" results 2004/01

Thanks

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Shortcut for double clicking format painter (to lock and unlock selection).

I have the format painter selection on my quick access toolbar, and I just need to click Alt +3 to activate the format painter tool.

The issue is that whenever I want to copy a cell's format to other cells scattered through a spreadsheet, I need to keep clicking Alt +3. I end up pressing Alt +3 many thousands of times a week. (Yes - I know how to paste formats).

Solution: Have a function called "Lock Format Painter" that I can add to my quick access bar as the forth tool, so I need to just press Alt+4 whenever…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base