Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Number format thousand separator and no decimals

Every time (many days a year) I train people in Excel, someone ask why there is no button or shortcut to obtain a number format with "thousand separator and no decimals". At least - in northern Europe - this is the most common used number format. If "button-solution" not possible for Microsoft in order to have common buttons world-wide, at least a shortcut for this has been much appreciated. (Note that the current button for thousand separator and two decimals could not be used, though the alignment in that format are not disired/good and two decimals used).
    Today I teach…

498 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

102 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel hex color codes for formatting

Please allow to enter Hex color codes when choosing colors for cell fills, borders, fonts, charts, etc...
    RGB and HSV are triple the work!

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Need the ability to format multiple colours of text in one cell for excel online

Currently in Excel Online, when I format the colour of text in a single cell it changes the colour of all text in that cell. I would like the ability to change the colour of highlighted text only so I can have multiple colours of text in one cell.

After looking on multiple forums, I can see this has been an issue for many users for a number of years.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Setting row height from 0.21" (default) to 0.5" on Page Layout does not give the proper Excel Output

Custom Margin Settings for 2 Excel files were both set this way:

Top: 0.5
    Bottom: 0.5
    Left: 0.7
    Right: 0.7
    Header: 0
    Footer: 0
    *no other settings modified

First Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from 0.21" to 0.50"
    Which results in row 21 showing up on the first page,

Second Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Named conditional formatting rules

Named conditional formatting rules - If you could name your rules they would be easier to identify. Also, it would be nice if you could right click a cell and have a choice to add it to a named conditional formatting rule. Excel would need to be intelligent enough to be able to add the cell or group of cells to the rule correctly.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When using "Index()" function, return the formatting of the matched cell along with the value

When you use the "Index" function it returns a value but it would be very useful to be able to return the format of the cell that is matched too.

So, for example: If I look up a risk in a table (see attached file) then I get the value as "High", "Medium", "Low" and then based on that I have to create a conditional format whereas if the cell that I am referring to already has a format then I could just use it.

A bonus would be changing the colours would only have to be done in one…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make "Conditional Formatting Rules Manager" box resizable

As a programmer myself, I know that this is such a simple idea that could be fixed in seconds with no impact on anything else. There's many many suggestions already mentioning it in with other things going back years, but nothing has ever been done about it... maybe the developers don't even bother reading these suggestions any more?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Stop formatting all numbers as dates, as users have been requesting since the 1990s

Automatic date formatting is not useful except for data entry, and it makes use of Excel for anything but the simplest processes a royal pain. Users have been requesting a way to switch this off for DECADES, but all they get in response is some unpaid "MVP" telling them how to use apostrophes.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Date-Time Format

Would like a simple method to format cells to display both Date & Time.
    Currently a date format and time format, but no date-time format, such as yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.
    I waste so much time with custom formats since I more often that not am interested in date and time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Center Across Selection to the Merge & Center Drop-down

Do you hate Merged Cells? Do you believe Merged Cells are evil? Do you curse every time your selection rectangle goes from one column to five columns just because you touched a merged cell? Do you constantly get workbooks from co-workers who continue to merge cells? Tired of not being able to Sort or Paste because someone merged a cell?

Excel encourages people to use Merge & Center by offering it front-and-center on the Home tab. Thus, few people discover the (superior) Center Across Selection option on the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog.

Currently, the Merge & Center…

479 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

75 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.

Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.
    Currntly its only possible if you set a background. But this implicates to have the background behind the complete sheet.
    Many Users want to have the feature to paste a picture in a sheet, format the size a.s.o. and have the ability to set it to the background.

Currently if you set such a picture to the background its just related to other pictures but not behind cells. It would be great to have the ability to set it behind cells so that content within the cells is shown above the picture.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Gridlines make them visible in a block of filled color cells

Gridlines, when you fill color a block of cells the gridlines are no longer visible to see each cell when working in the sheet. Would be nice to turn this on and off.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Offer an option to allow for different locale formatting in a single workbook

My Windows regional settings are FR-CA, so Excel, very smartly, formats numbers and dates accordingly. But, at times, I have to prepare and print reports with numbers and dates formatted according to US settings.
    That gets done on a cell by cell basis, by choosing the format I need among the many choices offered by Excel. And it works, but it's very tedious.
    I wish it were possible to associate specific regional settings with a sheet within a workbook, so that numbers copied from one sheet to another got formatted (and dated) according to the (different) settings set for that…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. date picker

we can use date picker control to select the dates

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Show recently used fonts in the Fonts Dropdown

Applying a font from the dropdown list of fonts would be much easier if the most recently used fonts are shown at the top.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base