Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pick color in Excel Like at Powerpoint

In Powerpoint there is a color picker tool to bring custom colors to the pallete.

Many times we need to do it using PowerPoint to get the RGB combination to be used in Excel.

Could you replicate this color picker into Excel in the same way it exists in PowerPoint?

Portuguese:

Conta-gotas PowerPoint

No Powerpoint existe uma ferramenta para pegar as cores e retornar para a paleta, o conta-gotas.

Vocês podem fazer o mesmo no Excel?

Porque muitas vezes nós precisamos fazer isso usando o PowerPoint para pegar o RGB e colocar no Excel.

440 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

59 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

141 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Page Setup - Header/Footer - combined feature requests

This idea combines a host of ideas which all call for similar functionality. The individual postings score minimal votes but together they add to 75 votes. I raise this to combine the feature requests, so that it gets prominence as I would dearly like to see this addressed.

Features for the Header / Footer:
    1. include variables based on a cell reference
    2. more than one Picture and Shapes
    3. Print and save dates
    4. Number of pages of the sheet and of the workbook
    5. Add file properties (quick parts in Word)
    6. Option for the header/footer on the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow conditional formatting for spilled array formulas

I use an array formula (e.g. RANDARRAY) to insert some numbers. The size of this array may vary, as the array formula is based on cells with values, which may vary.
    In the spilled array I want to highlight some values using conditional formatting. It would be useful, if the conditional formatting could be based on the size of the array, so that the area the conditional formatting applies to shrinks and grows with the size of the array.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Entering Dates after 2030

I'm entering dates going out to 2032, and when I enter dates like 10/1/32, Excel is changing the date to 1932. Excel should be defaulting to 2032 like it does for dates in the 2020's.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Phone number formatting

There should be a drop-down choice in formats the provide a formatting especially for phone numbers that can cope with +61 without trying to treat it as an equation and leaves the leading zero as is. Also you can click and dial from there if you have a phone function on you PC like cisco jabber.

formatting should assume your number is in the same country as your timezone. It should offer some choice of format i.e. +61 456 654 456 vs 0456 654 456.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Standard Date Formats

I would think most people using spreadsheets would want dates in a column to line up evenly whether the month or day has 1 number or 2. Example....in order to have 1/5/2019 line up evenly with 10/15/2020, I have to create a custom format every day. So what I am suggesting is for mm/dd/yyyy to be added to the standard date formats, or at a minimum the custom format I set up should remain permanently in the list of my custom formats. It is exasperating to have to recreate this very simple format multiple times a day, every day.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Could you give people the option of turning off autoformatting of dates when typing ranges such as 1-10 or fractions like 1/2?

When typing a range of numbers such as 1-10, Excel automatically interprets this input as January 10. That's fine for people who type a lot of dates, but can be quite annoying if that's not what a person is trying to type. Could you please implement an option for someone to turn this off if they wish?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 3 letter months

For date format, have one that uses the 3 letter abbreviation for each month.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Fill Color

Sometimes when reconciling spreadsheets i use multiple colors to keep changes, numbers, edits, separated. Every time i need to change the color of my "fill color" it is really frustrating to go to the fill icon, chose the drop down menu, find the exact color i was using just to have to do it all over again the next time i need the "other" color. It would be nice to be able to add multiple "fill color" icons to my tool ribbon that way i can just click the color i need quickly and go back and forth between colors…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Consistent application of alt+space

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_2016/inconsistent-row-heights-in-excel-table/3524823d-3069-4c18-b7ec-da3f0f52551c?messageId=f209c11d-8975-41e5-86f6-60c8fd963fda

Please see the linked discussion thread regarding inconsistencies with row heights when alt+space has been used to add new lines. It would be nice if there was a way to consistently format the rows in the given scenario.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. header and footer - make it easy to find them ! same as Word !

With every version of Office the position of the headers and footers on the Menus changes
    I spend ages trying to insert a header or a footer.
    Is it under Views, or insert, or layout.
    Stop changing it and make it in the same Menu as Word and NEVER change it again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dynamic Arrays, Spill range format

When a Spill range changes (eg due to the source data changing) it would be nice if any Formatting that is applied to the Spill Formula Cell is also applied to the entire Spill Range.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. excel sum bug

hello i found a excel bug with sum function.
    here steps to reproduce
    1. select 1 and ‭471420‬ click sum

error sum result = 1

here is reason

escape('‭471420‬')
    "%u202D471420%u202C"

%u202C unicode can not format

miss the attachment

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. INSERT - time to grow it up

INSERT - give us number to insert or allow us to put in the number of rows

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Introduce Engineering number format for numbers in excel.

This would all selected numbers to display with same exponent eg E03. Very useful for scientific work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Debug Excel's international date formatting options

If you open a blank excel sheet, and set your column to the date format "English (Canada)", then enter the date 3/10/17, it will autocorrect it to 10/3/17. I can't figure out why this would possibly be. I also can't figure out how to switch it.

Also, when I enter the date 21/9/17, it doesn't recognize it as a date, despite being formatted as such. I checked, and the date format is supposed to be DD/MM/YY. Still, it does this.

Why, after so many years, is it still so challenging to work with dates and time in excel? It's the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. PLEASE allow users to save a custom format in the Format Cells dialogue

I constantly need to use the format 'yyyy-mm-dd' and I have to type it in over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Please, please, please, please, for the love of all that is good in this world, make a way to save custom formatting so it can be reused.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. It's time for a UPC format

Excel dev team. I love this product, and always have, but please, for the love of all that is holy, create a native UPC format for Excel.

I have never, a single time, in the 25 years I have been using this product used Scientific Notation as a format, ever. For anything.

Yet the amount of time I've wasted chasing down and re-formatting the columns containing UPC or EAN numbers to number, (no, 0 decimal places thank you) is as uncountable as the number of times I've used Scientific Notation is countable.

Please. It's time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 36 37
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base