Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Conditional formatting - Apply to named ranges

Currently if you apply conditional formatting to a named range (i.e.. a range named via the Name Manager or a table style named-range), the value in the "Applies to" column of the Condidtional Formatting Rules Manger will revert the named range to its absolute cell reference.

eg. "Applies to: =Table1[Column3]" becomes "Applies to: =$C$2:$C$7".

Apart from being more difficult to read, it creates other complexities. e.g. if I happen to copy/paste a cell into this range, it creates a mess in the rules manager, creating a new rule for each cell pasted.

e.g. if my named range is 'Table1[Column3]' which…

104 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

32 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to Graham for starting this conversation. If you would also like Excel to maintain named range references and structured table references in the “applies to” field for Conditional Formatting rules, please add your comments and vote this one up. We will prioritize accordingly.

Thanks,
      Steve (MS Excel)

• Improve the Conditional Formatting Manager

So that we can easily manage conditional formatting. While we're at it, the way conditional formatting is treated when cutting / copying and pasting etc could be reconsidered.

[Following examples added by Dan [MS] for clarity on 10/20/2015]
      * name rules
      * add a comment to rules
      * more easily see what rules apply to what range
      * see which rules can be consolidated b/c they are similar
      * etc.

71 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Levi! We’ll be taking a look at this along with some other asks around conditional formatting. It’s a big help to see the things with the most votes, particularly within areas like formatting. So please keep the votes coming for things you want us to do sooner!

Thanks,
        John [MS XL]

• Modernize conditional formatting formula editing.

As of 2013, it conditional formatting formula editing is still inconsistent with the regular application, and makes it harder for users to learn conditional formatting, which is one of the more abstract concepts of the early Excel learning process.

Arrow keys are still modifying formulas rather than moving the cursor, for example.

69 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion, thanks David! And thanks to other people who took the time to clarify/comment on this one. There’s definitely room to tighten this experience up in a number of places. We’re getting a lot of traffic on the site, so please keep voting for the things you care about most to help us do a great job of prioritizing.

Best,
          John [MS XL]

• Allow CTRL+ and CTRL SHIFT + to set superscript and subscript

All of the other office applications support this function. Hold down CTRL and + and you get subscript, hold down CTRL, Shift and + you get superscript. While not too many people know this, for those of us in the chemical fields, these shortcuts are indispensable. Excel already supports the basics of bold, italic, etc. Please expand it to include these.

68 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to Jeffrey for suggesting the shortcut keys to format text as subscript or superscript. I can see that this would be useful and consistent with the other applications. As with all the requests, voting helps move the request up in our priority list, so keep the votes coming if this is important to you.

Steve K (Microsoft)

• Add "Center Across" to the Ribbon

It has been documented for a long time that the Center Across functionality is much better to use in place of Merge & Center. Most people don't even know the functionality exists because it is buried.in a dialog box

I propose creating a button for it and moving it to the Home tab. There is even a place for it right under the Merge & Center button. I think having it on the Home tab with go a long way in getting people to create more user-friendly spreadsheet in the workplace :)

47 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Format cell as a checkbox (TRUE, FALSE)

Offer a format that displays the boolean value of a cell as a checked box if TRUE, unchecked box if FALSE, grayed box if text or other nonbool.

Bonus: Toggle value OnClick would be intuitive.

Lots of uses for this. Current options are awkward for users. Yes/No dropdown is not as good as a checkbox for touch/mobile.

31 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • "Clear all" feature should be clearer to spot (and have shortcut)

I teach excel, and it feels like around 90% of students (daily Excel users) don't know the clear all function exists. Also when someone press the delete key, 90% of the time, they mean to press clear all, they just don't know it exists, so they then remove the fill, change the colour, delete borders, unmerge cells etc, These all take many clicks.

I truly believe that MOST Excel users waste time every day because they don't know of the existence of "Clear all". Excel should make this really obvious by 1. Adding a keyboard shortcut (Shift + Delete maybe?)…

21 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Dynamic headers/footers

Add functionality to allow users to create dynamic/formula-driven headers and footers.

12 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Metric/SI prefix support for number formatting

There is (somewhat hidden) support for engineering notation as a number format (ie: the pre-defined custom number format "##0.0E+0"), but it would be extremely useful to take this a step further and allow for number formatting with SI prefixes. For example, the value 12E3 would display as "12k", 34E6 would display as "34M", 56e-3 as "56m", 78e-6 as "78μ", and so on.

11 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Percentage Point Formatting

It's very common to express a decimal as percentage points.
                      For example Growth last year was 10%. This year is 15%. The change is 5 percentage points, but saying growth increased by 5% would be confusing (5% increase of 10% is 10.5%)
                      It would be nice to able to format the value to appear as 5 without having to multiply the true decimal value by 100. Alternatively if I could get the effect of using a "%" sign in the number formatting string without having "%" appear in the cell, that would work as well.

9 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Give us a "Center Across Selection" option for the Vertical text alignment

"Center Across Selection" is available for Horizontal text alignment but not for Vertical text alignment.

This would be useful for heading columns where the text is rotated through 90 degrees and spans more than one row.

8 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow us to customise the "right-click menu option"

We are already able to customise the ribbon menus. It would be great if we could also customise the right-click menu options. In particular the following would be useful:

- Conditional formatting
                          - Styles

However, add these may make it too cluttered for some users, so it would be great if you could choose what items are shown.

This is an extension of this idea by Emma...
                          http://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10669878-right-click-for-conditional-formatting

7 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Enable Feature to Autofit Row hight for Merged Cells (and not just single cells)

Enable Feature to Autofit Row hight for Merged Cells (and not just single cells)

6 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Select protected/unprotected cells

In the menu Home > Find & Select > Go to Special, you have many pretty interest way to select cells (formula, blank, ...)

I would like to add to this tool the option protected and unprotected cells.

6 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • The Conditional Formatting Rules Manager badly needs the ability to be resized

The Conditional Formatting Rules Manager dialog box is far too small for modern display resolutions. It really should be a resizeable dialog, and should include the ability to resize column widths, so that the full length of complex conditional formatting expressions can be displayed and read without having to open them for editing.

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Drop Down List

How about making the drop down list show more than 10 items at a time without having to scroll? Many years ago when using Excel for Mac, the drop down list would run the length of the screen. Not sure if this was a feature specific to Mac, but it would make using drop down lists a lot more useful on a PC.

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Paste conditional formating as static formating

In the same way you can paste values of a sheet with a lots of formulas I would love to paste formating achieved with conditional formatting. On big spreadsheets, conditional formatting can render the workbook unusable, but it's actually quite convenient to define formatting with conditional formatting. I normally paste formating from a hidden row to set anything I need, but I would love a way to leave the sheet to be fast. Am I explaining myself clearly? Having a conditional format set a cell to red, after "pasting conditional formats to static formats" the actual color of the cell…

6 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add support for Epoch time in Date & Time cell formatting options

I frequently work with data where date and time are represented in the Epoch time-stamp format, or where it is preferable to use this format for scripting purposes. Please add support for Epoch time-stamps so that intermediate processing of time-stamps is not required when importing the data to excel.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Prior year assumption in December dates entered in January

Many people enter recent dates into excel to balance bank accounts etc and Excel always assumes the year in dates entered as the current year. This makes everyone not need to type out the year except for about half a month every year.

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enhance Excel formatting options: styles: more like MS Word

Enhance formatting options: styles: more like MS Word:

Copy existing format of a cel into a style

For example a function like:
                                          "Update 'Heading 1' to Match Selection"

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.