Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Note "Right Click Menu" option

you changed the Comment option to Note, but if you use the "Right Click Menu" option and have multiple cells selected to delete the Note it is still listed as a comment

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Data Validation doesn't work for autofilled data

E.g. if I have List validation with Int16, Int32 and so on for a Range, and have Int16 in some cell in the Range, I can fill down Int17, Int18 and so on. So Data validation Rules are ignored for fill down operation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. show phantom cursor on the row where we have selected a cell. enable turning on and off the phantom cursor. this helps a lot

show phantom cursor on the row where we have selected a cell. enable turning on and off the phantom cursor. this helps a lot

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Sizing Handle for Data Validation set-up box

When entering a long formula into the dialogue box for Data Validation, navigation along the formula string is difficult (impossible?) because there is no handle to allow the box to be stretched wider or higher.

Allowing the text to wrap would help but both movements would be best.

I have used an IF statement with several arguments and need to check the logic in a separate cell and then copy the string into the Dialogue box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Being able to paste in visible cells only and not pasting my data in my hidden cells.

Being able copy and paste in visible cells only and not pasting my data in my hidden cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Just show me how to eliminate blank header and footer space that automatically entered my worksheet

This is BS nothing here tells me how to remove unwanted header and footer spaces from my worksheet that automatically appeared as I was working on my spreadsheet

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. GET YOUR ******* PRO TIP OUT OF MY FACE

GET YOUR ******* PRO TIP OUT OF MY FACE

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Issue a clear/complete answer online as to how to add a text box to an Excel CHART

Issue an Excel help page that explicitly states:

"Open file. Click on chart > select Chart Tools FORMAT (menu at top) > click on the Insert Shapes TEXT BOX > locate pointer where intended, expand as required > type text as desired > click on any cell outside of the chart to enter. The entry can be moved and/or edited afterward."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Issue a clear/complete answer online as to how to add a text box to an Excel CHART

Issue an Excel help page that explicitly states:

"Open file. Click on chart > select Chart Tools FORMAT (menu at top) > click on the Insert Shapes TEXT BOX > locate pointer where intended, expand as required > type text as desired > click on any cell outside of the chart to enter. The entry can be moved and/or edited afterward."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Momentarily turn off calculation before 'paste values' to avoid unwanted volatile recalcs

Desktop, Office 2016: volatile cells are recalculated before 'paste values' is executed. This leads to unexpected and unpredictable results; I'd like to propose that Excel turn off calculations while pasting values to avoid changing values

I use random values sometimes to generate sets of fake data, but I might re-generate it several times until I get a data pattern that matches the training lesson material (like a fairly normal curve, vs a binomial distribution of random values)

Deeper explanation: open a new sheet, and in any cell enter =rand(). Look at the value. Copy the cell, then paste value back…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Turn off error checking at a workbook level

The little green triangles really make some worksheets look unattractive. I have worksheets where the cells contain formulae but are not protected because I WANT the user to be able to change them. I can get rid of the green triangles on a case by case basis, but when the user changes the formula, they come back. I don;t want to turn error checking off at the Application level.

There should be the option to turn each of the classes of error checking on or off at least at the Workbook level or better at Worksheet level.

And, yes I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. still have to hit escape to deselect copied items. ********.

still have to hit escape to deselect copied items. ********.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Assume HTTPS if HTTP/HTTPS is not specified in a hyperlink

If I type "www.microsoft.com" in a cell and press Enter, a hyperlink to "http://www.microsoft.com/" is automatically created. The hyperlink should instead be "https://www.microsoft.com/" to help promote good security. See the video linked below to see why HTTP should never be used.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNIkw4Ao9w

For now, the rule should be this: if HTTP/HTTPS is not specified in a link, try to connect using HTTPS. If the connection succeeds, use the HTTPS version of the link. Otherwise, use the HTTP version.

As HTTPS dominates more of the Internet, the rule should just be to assume all links,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. deselect

deselect is not working in the excel for mac 16.16.5 version it was working year back but after upgrade it stopped working

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Pivot Table Default Settings

I always want to do sum on values in the pivot table but there is no default settings for pivot table , right?
    just left click and change value settings all the time, but i want it default setting i m lazy

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please disable copy box locking clipboard

When I copy a cell from the worksheet, the cell remains highlighted and locks the clipboard so I cant copy/paste something from another application until i de-select the box. This is terrible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel would be great if it added the "Change Case" drop down menue from Word to Excel

By adding Word's "Change Case" options to Excel it would improve Excel's editing abilities and increase customer productivity adding value to the Excel product

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow Excel move or copy and paste cells when RemotePC by IDrive is running in background

If RemotePC by IDrive is running in the background, Excel does not allow cells to be moved or pasted without having to first note the pop up error. When the acknowledgement is made about the error, the data is accepted.

Needless to say, this is very frustrating because it slows things down as it adds extra unnecessary steps.

Please resolve.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Notification to other users of a file.

Have an option to notify the user who has a file open that another user wants to edit the file; not just a notify button for yourself to be informed when the file is closed by the other user.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base