Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I want to Add setting Type And Replace with Use Sequence Checking in Excel.

I want to write ตุํ in excel but excel can write ตุ or ตํ . Are you can help me?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Let us not fill a new row or column with clipboard data by default!

Whenever I copy something on to the clipboard and then try to insert a new row or column using the keyboard shortcuts, by default Excel copies clipboard content to the entire new row or column. This is definitely not a required feature and it is very rare that someone would want to fill a new row or column with some text. And it affects the performance of excel many a time.

Hence, please make the default option for keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+Plus) as insert a new row and if at all someone want to fill a new row or column with…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Maintain the position of the search/"Find and Replace" dialog box (and others), except as necessary to expose the found object’s cell

The search/"Find and Replace" dialog box currently moves to a new position each time it is opened. It appears to be moving slightly down and to the right, such as a cascaded window. This causes the user to have to look to a new location each time Find or Replace is used. The most awkward, time consuming, and frustrating problem with this movement is: when the dialog box reaches the bottom of the screen, it stays there; and in that position the results table of Find All is hidden. In order to see these results, the user must drag the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. General selection of multiple cells and change from lower case to upper case.

General selection of multiple cells and change from lower case to upper case.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Still have to hit escape to deselect a copied cell. ********. FIX it.

Still have to hit escape to deselect a copied cell. ********. FIX it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. More Options in Context Menu for Insert (e.g. Copy Formulas)

When you are editing a table and right-click on a cell, the context menu gives you additional options for Insert, including "Table Rows Above" and "Table Columns to the Left". If formulas are set up correctly, then formulas get copied into the newly inserted row.

I would like to see the following option available when you right-click on a row number WITHOUT using Excel Tables:

Insert > And Copy Formulas

Inserting would behave normally (including copying formatting), but in terms of cell contents, only formulas would be copied, not other text.

A few options are available via the paintbrush after…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. adjustable line-guide in word and excel similar to a keyboard document holder to allow easier tracking of last placement

To better track your placement in a word or excel document, it would be helpful to have a line guide similar to a keyboard document holder that is adjustable and can be moved as you navigate up or down in a document. It would be a click and drag feature. A colored line that is approx. 1 cm thick and set with the click of a button. It does not interfere/change format of the document. You can have it vertical or horizontal. This would be easier than inserting a colored line to track your placement and then having to remove…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bring Back the Double-Click Auto-Fill with the Choice to Fill Series or Copy

Bring back the ability to double-click on the bottom right corner of a cell and fill the series below, but then present the button to change from Fill Series to Copy and all the others with the Formatting options. Presenting the Quick Analysis button is worthless.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ignore merged cells when selecting columns/rows

When selecting more columns (similar with rows), the selection expands when it hits merged cells. I percieve merged cells more like a visual thing than performance, so this behavior is more drawback than something I would benefit from.
    When selecting the merged cell directly, it makes perfect sense, that selection expands to capture this cell. Otherwise, not so much.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object - Option is not available when file is protected using Azure Information protection

Hi Team,
    1. creating a Table in an Excel document.
    2. copy the Table from the Excel document.
    3. Create a new word document and from Home choose (Paste special) and choose Paste Link > (Microsoft Excel worksheet Object).
    4. Create another table in the Excel document and protect it with AIP and save it.
    5. after trying to copy the table and paste special in Word, we will not be able to view this option.
    It would be great if you can look into this and add this in your future enhancement as all critical files are AIP protected…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. bring back "sort & find"

If it ain't broke don't fix it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Find & Replace

Find & Replace box

The labels & buttons are not visible until you mouse over them

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Possibility to copy values from status bar to clipboard

When user sum up couple of cells, there is sum/average/count value in status bar. Make possible to copy this value to clipboard, which can be easily used in excel cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Disable autosave - it is very irritating tohave to switch it off for every document and every time you have changed something.

Please disable the autosave or make it possible for us to do that. It is highly frustrating to have to do it manually all the time. Experienced users have learned and are meticulous in saving our work regularly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Use the Ruler Units for both the Row Height and Column Width calculations

When trying to design output that is to be exactly measured, it's awfully difficult to have to print it twice, get out a calculator and figure out a conversion factor between like inches and whatever you measure Row Heigth and Column Width by.

My suggestion is to take the Ruler Units from the Advanced sheet and use it for the Row Height and Column Width. I know that it won't be exactly perfect, but it's a whole lot easier to adjust that kind of number unit than have to mess with whatever your current calulations are.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. About the sheets

When i work with many sheets, it is not pretty to see many sheets on the bottom. I suggest, you can make a new tab as "Sheets" on the ribbon. Inside this tab, we can see the list of sheets, add a sheet, delete a sheet and all other functions belonging to sheet control.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. auto spell check

auto correct words when pasting. when i cut or copy from one workbook to another is there any way that Excel can auto correct when i paste. example workbook 1 - Man utd - so when i copy from workbook 2 the words Manchester United id like to have it auto corrected in workbook 1 to Man Utd without having to go to the trouble of pressing CTRL and H to do it manually obviously Man Utd woulb be already in the Custom dictionary and when Excel recognises this word from auto correct dictionary and correct it to Man Utd

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ALLOW REPEATING UPPER AND/OR LOWER ROWS IN NEXT SHEETS

NOW YOU CAN REPEAT UPPER ROWS IN ALL YOUR SHEETS BUT NOT LOWER ROWS AND I THINK THIS IS NECESSARY BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE LOOKING FOR THIS TOOL IN THE INTERNET AND I ALWAYS NEED IT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Edit Individual Page under Print/Page Setup

When editing the Workbook pages with Breaks in them, under File>Print, every % adjustment made is reflected on all the pages of the Workbook. Not all the data in the cells/columns is the same size. Which leads to the scaling being off on all the pages. Then it's a game of which cells/columns to adjust on which page and that still does not work. If there was a way to adjust each page and be able to scale it to its individual data size, there would be less time spent figuring how to scale the whole book cells by cell,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Protect/Unprotect Sheet Quick Access Icon

Have the Quick Access Icon change state from a locked padlock to an unlocked padlock and vice versa respective to the sheet's state. It is wonderful to have protect/unprotect functionality from the Quick Access Toolbar but as it is I have to check whether or not a sheet is protected. With this additional functionality the Protect / Unprotect Quick Access Button would be awesome!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base