Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "There is a large amount of information in the Clipboard". No, there isn't.

After copying a smallish range to the Clipboard, if we try to close Excel we get a "There is a large amount of information in the Clipboard, do you want to empty it?" dialog. This is the most unnecessary dialog in the history of computing. It might have made sense back in Excel 5.0 times, but most desktop computers now have at enough ram to comfortably fit way more than 40 cells in the clipboard. I'd suggest a significant increase in this threshold, or completely doing away with it.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. replace algorithm

I often work with the hyphen separated double serial numbers, that some of which Excel interprets like date by default. I use text cell type for this values.
    Then I tried to replace this values by means of search and replace function, selected input and output type as text, my value after replacement became the date first, then changed to the numeric equivalent.
    It would be much better if the result of the replacement operation immediately interpreted in a user-specified type.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use all Excel features in any document type

I don't mind if Excel reminds me that I can't save my Pivot Tables as a txt or csv file but if I'm working on a document in Excel I'd like to be able to use all the Excel features without having to save the document as an Excel file first (and often times having to reopen the file after that).

Often I'm just doing a quick check on a report I'm getting from QlikView and I have no use saving it but Excel won't let me do this because the data type is not a real Excel workbook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Number Pad ENTER Key Disabled while typing in Text Boxes

If you are typing within a text box or shape, you cannot use the ENTER key on the 9-digit number pad to create a new line of text. Only the ENTER key above the SHIFT button works.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stop Copy & Paste overwriting Data Validation

When you have data validation on a cell, a drop down list for example. A user can circumvent all of this by either copying and pasting into the cell or when dragging from other cells numbers can increment and therefore render the data validation, invalid. A user should not be able to copy and paste values which are not in the validation.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Copy Comments

Add that a Comments can be copied and passed in to cells. Not only the content of a comment, but the whole Comments

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Change Excel's paste default behavior

When you do an ordinary paste like Ctrl+V, Excel pastes the cell values, formatting, validation, everything. However, many users usually paste only values when working, and the extra handling to paste special is not productive.
    Word and OneNote have a setting that allow the user to choose the default paste type, and that should also be available in Excel.
    -
    I know there are add-ins to workaround that and also the shortcut AppKey+V to paste values, but I think that should be a native Excel setting.

186 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. redo button

With the undo button you can undo your last action.

But with the redo button you cannot repeat your last action, unless you have "undood" it first. It seems that the redo button gets activated only after the undo button has been used. So the redo button is actually only a undo button for the undo button.

Just like the undo button, we should be able to redo any action, like insert row, etc which has been done by us.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Protect me from #REF! ambushes

Every so often I delete cells and unbeknownst to me create a bunch of #REF! errors in another part of my worksheet. I may not realize until much later when I can no longer undo back to fix the error. Excel could spare me this. If my deletion is about to create #REF!s it should bring up an alert like "Other cells depend on the cells you are about to delete. Would you like Excel to adjust their formulas to avoid #REF! errors? [Yes][No][Cancel]. [No] would do what it does today. [Cancel] would abort the operation. [Yes] would smartly substitute…

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Paste Special / Multiply, Divide, Add should NOT remove formatting (bug?)

This I'd describe as a bug. When you use Paste Special / Multiply (or the other math operations), the formatting in the selected range is lost. There's no reason for that behaviour, the target range's formatting shouldn't change.

Also, the feature could use an improvement. Maybe take it out of the paste menu. Allow us to either select a range or input a number with an inputbox. Some more operations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. When making a copy of a tab let me choose how many copies I want

When I right click on a tab and choose the "Move or Copy..." option, then check the box to "Create a copy" it would be nice if the was an area underneath the check box to enter the number of copies that I want. Then I wouldn't have to do this ten times if I want ten copies of a sheet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. IP Address as a datatype.

I would love to see IP Addresses added as a format option and functions added for validation of the IP addresses..

For instance InSubnet(Network as IP,Netmask as Integer,address as IP) to determine if an IP is within a Subnet;

Being able to do addition/subtraction on the field would be awesome as well!

247 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, and thanks to those that making their vote heard. This is a pretty interesting ask – take a look at the comment I made. I’d like us to understand a few related things. And as always, please keep voting for the things you care about most.

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

13. The ability to copy (or paste) 'visible cells only' when copying/pasting from a filtered range into a column of empty cells

An example is the following scenario:

If I use a filter on a column and remove blanks, only listing the cells with data. I then copy this data (visible cells only) and wish to paste this data into a filtered column of blank cells.

Currently Excel pastes this data into the unfiltered cells. It would be a great addition if Excel would allow users to paste in the filtered list that was visible only with the filter applied.

It is possible to get round this using a macro but I feel it should be part of a feature within Excel…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Pressing ctrl+f should clear the last item searched

often times I'll press ctrl+f when the find window is open and paste a value or start typing only to find the last item i searched for was not cleared out, so i end up searching for a random jumble of text. it seems like a lot of wasted keystrokes (especially since you can't select all the text with ctrl+a). for example, if i last searched for "doctor", then press ctrl+f and paste something (like "nurse"), i end up searching for "doctornurse". i need to delete all the text and then repaste "nurse"!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Under format cells, for the 'text' category allow for a Rich-Text type

The Rich-Text type would allow the cell to have MS Word like features (cursor around within the cell, turn on bulleting, allow for hyperlinking a sub-section of text within the cell (instead of turning the entire cell into a hyperlink), etc.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Linked Transpose Paste

You can copy and paste special by linking or transposing, but you can't do both. Please fix

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make Undo stacks track per workbook instead of globally

Undo stacks are currently global between all workbooks that are open at a given time, so pressing undo on one workbook might undo a change in a different workbook. As someone who frequently has multiple workbooks open at a time, it would be much more helpful to be able to step through the edits made on each individual workbook.

828 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

154 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for all the passion on this issue – we hear you and we’ll get someone on the team to dig in to the issue. I’ve seen a few related sub-issues while scanning over the comment section for this one, so we may reach out to a few of you for clarifications. Thanks again for all the votes, and keep them coming for the issues you care about!

John, Excel

18. Add CTRL-A (select all) shortcut to the find (search)/replace box.

The search and replace box (CTRL-F/CTRL-H respectively), don't support the extremely common CTRL-A (select all) keyboard shortcut, and haven't since Office 95.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Maintain leading zeroes when entering values in cells

There should be an application setting OR paste recovery option OR cell format to retain leading zeroes when entering values in cells (either manually or through another means like CSV import).

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] Updated idea title and description to broaden this issue from maintaining leading zeros on CSV data import to maintaining them on any cell entry.)

1,309 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks very much for your votes. And to those who took the time to fill in the survey, thank you! This is a brief update to let y’all know that we’ve started work on this feature request along with the one on changing numbers to scientific notation.

- Urmi [Msft]

20. copying from pdf

When I want to copy a table from PDF, I have to first copy it to MSWord. Then I have to copy it from MSWord to Excel. If I try to copy a table from PDF to Excel, I get a column of values instead of a table.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base