Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In copy and paste, have a paste option that pastes without relative cell addressing (like a move but a copy).

In copy and paste, have a paste option that pastes with absolute cell addressing (like a move but a copy).

This would avoid having to F4 all the cell references or changing the formulae to text (' prefix) , copy the text and remove the ' prefix

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Replace to search a column and replace a value in a column beside it

I keep having to search a column for a certain string of characters to replace a value in a column a few columns over. Some way to change what column the replace function actually replaces in would be good.
    Another thing to consider is hitting control F would reselect the text in the Find what: field for Find or Replace. Makes it faster to search for another item.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Non-unique names in the Name Manager

Go to the Name Manager and click "New". Fill in the "Comment" and "Refers to" sections. Set the Name and Scope to a combination that already exists. Excel will complain and reload the New Name window, erasing everything that you had typed before. This can be quite punishing for such a simple mistake if your formula is long and complicated or if you optimized your comment to fit within the character limit. Excel should instead just return you to the New Name window that you had before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Data validation list sources referring to tables are only dynamic for tables on the same sheet

Data validation still does not support structured references as list sources. Luckily, the non-structured references to table columns update if the column changes size. However, this only occurs if the data validation cell and the table are on the same sheet. This is further incentive, beyond the usual readability issue, for Excel to support structured references in data validation.

You can download a demo file here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/hrz90a8u7kk456p/Data_Validation_Table_Update.xlsb

Posts related to data validation and structured references:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9018427-improve-data-validation
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10561302-data-validation-allow-table-references-as-list-s

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make row & column AutoFit ignore/consider only selected cells

It is common to put notes above tables for other users to read. However, if you go to AutoFit your columns, the column will grow to accommodate the long note, even though the table column underneath is much shorter.

To avoid this, I can't just AutoFit all of my columns at once. I have to AutoFit every column but the one with the note in it, then move the note into another column, AutoFit the column that had the note in it, and move the note back. This is a pain.

My suggestion is for AutoFitting to either ignore or…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. mouse double click on fill handle to fill data - keyboard shortcut

Excel has great feature that you double click the little square (fill handle) at the bottom right corner of a cell containing a formula and it will fill down/across the formulas to match the data left/right/above/below to the appropriate number of rows would be nice if there was a keyboard shortcut that was the equivalent of this. I know there's CTRL+D and CTRL+R but you need to first select the cells before you can use these which invariable is a few strokes of combination of CTRL/SHIFT/ArrowKeys.

Also would be nice to be able to use something like CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+ArrowKeys to move…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make Freeze Panes, Unfreeze Panes, and Split Undo-able

As far as anyone is concerned, freezing or unfreezing panes or using "Split" are non-trivial, infrequent edits to the file, so they should be Undo-able.

Since they are not Undo-able, they are currently lumped in the same category as trivial, frequent edits like scrolling or changing selection/activation of cells/sheets/objects, which makes no sense.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sharing columns without sharing column width: column distortion and subsheets

In order to maximize use of visual space, it is common to put 1 table underneath another. However, we are now forced to find column widths that works for both tables.

If one table has long entries in a column and the other table has short entries in the same column, then you will either have too much empty space in the 2nd table if appealing to the 1st, or chopped values in the 1st table if appealing to the 2nd, or a strange combination of both if trying to compromise.

A similar issue arises with rows if you have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Conditional formatting suggestion – managing and editing

Edits
    In making edits, particularly on the section ‘Applies to’, whenever you use the arrow key to move back and forth to the characters you want to amend, it would type in the current address of the cursor. You have no choice here but to always use your mouse, and never the arrow key for navigating edits.
    I hope that next time you can use the arrow keys as the mouse can’t always be used.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Multitable Excel sheet with freedom in table width setting

I am using excel since over 20 years. I am capable to use it in quite advanced level including pivot tables, dashboards etc.
    But most to the time I am using excel just to prepare some simple reports. And most probably over 90% of the users are using just standard basic functionalities.
    When I do some reports, which consist of several tables then I am always fighting with columns width problem. Whenever I try to set some with, which is suitable for me, then I spoil the with of the columns in another table standing above or below of my…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Default the "Find" "Look in" setting to "Values" NOT "Formulas"

Default the "Find" "Look in" setting to "Values" NOT "Formulas".

This has been annoying me for about 10 years now. How often does anyone want to search for something in the text of a formula rather than the result of that formula? I think I wanted to do this once but have failed to find values numerous times and had to amend this setting manually thousands of times.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Selecting multiple sheets & copying from editing sheet

Selecting All Sheets & Editing/Formatting First Sheet Then All Selected Sheets Copying The Format Which We Are Formatting In First Sheet

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. add spellcheck to excel for windows

add spellcheck to excel for windows

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. CTRL+SHIFT+T not working to view Find window in the Italian Excel version

CTRL+SHIFT+T has always been the default shortcut to view the Find window in the Italian Excel and doesn't work any longer in Excel 2016. I hope it will be fixed before the new version. Please also add a way of customizing keyboard shortcuts like in MS Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please make for Crtl-x the same pasteoptions available like Crtl-v

Ctrl-x offers only one paste option
    Ctrl-V enables multiple pasteoptions
    Please also makes for Crtl-x the same Paste Options available.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Replace using wildcard characters

Find allows the user to use wildcards such as * (any number of characters) and ? (one character). However, Replace does not offer that same functionality.

For example, if you want to replace “ab*de” with “aa*de,” where the asterisk represents any number of characters or none at all, you can’t do so. The replace function works for this particular simple example, but in actual use the examples are not so clear cut.

Apparently the ability to perform string replacements is called REGEX, or Regular Expressions, but it requires a knowledge of VBA that is beyond the grasp of anyone beyond…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. shortcut for incrementing date or other values

I often copy stuff from previous Excel files. It would be nice if I could select one or more cells and increment/decrement the year or the month or the day of all the selected celle all at once with a shortcut. For exemple, I could increment all the years of all the selected dates from 2015 to 2016 with a shortcut. Maybe this could also be useful for other types.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. find replace Text Box

I would love to find and replace text on Text box. When I need to replace text I have to go to every single text box to it.
    I wonder if if possible to include a "tick" box under the Replacement pop-up window to do this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. find and replace

This is a minor issue, but annoying. When you open the Find and Replace box after using it once, the cursor is in the "Replace with:" box. Can the cursor always start in the "Find what:" box?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add an easy way (Ribbon button) to change text casing (UPPER, lower, Sentence, etc.)

Currently Excel is the only Office application that doesn't have the ribbon-button to change selected text to uppercase or lowercase.
    The only way to do it is to use the function =UPPER() and then copy/paste the resulted value into the original cell.
    It would be good to have a button to change the selected text to uppercase or lowercase.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base