Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add CTRL-A (select all) shortcut to the find (search)/replace box.

The search and replace box (CTRL-F/CTRL-H respectively), don't support the extremely common CTRL-A (select all) keyboard shortcut, and haven't since Office 95.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Maintain leading zeroes when entering values in cells

There should be an application setting OR paste recovery option OR cell format to retain leading zeroes when entering values in cells (either manually or through another means like CSV import).

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] Updated idea title and description to broaden this issue from maintaining leading zeros on CSV data import to maintaining them on any cell entry.)

1,288 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks very much for your votes. And to those who took the time to fill in the survey, thank you! This is a brief update to let y’all know that we’ve started work on this feature request along with the one on changing numbers to scientific notation.

- Urmi [Msft]

3. copying from pdf

When I want to copy a table from PDF, I have to first copy it to MSWord. Then I have to copy it from MSWord to Excel. If I try to copy a table from PDF to Excel, I get a column of values instead of a table.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Swap rows / columns / ranges (Paste Special > Swap, for instance)

a 'Swap' function (as a right-click) could allow data in specific cells or ranges to be swapped. Without it, users need to find or create an interim sheet / cell, which is a pain. I'd like this to work like the existing Paste-transpose function.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Creating alert fo Excel file that contains hidden columns or lines

Whenever you open an Excel file that has hidden columns/lines, an alert informs "Attention: this workbook has hidden columns/lines."
    This will prevent to share a file with sensible information.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation.

Prevent Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation.

1,530 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

465 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks very much for your votes. And to those who took the time to fill in the survey, thank you! This is a brief update to let y’all know that we’ve started work on this feature request.

- Urmi [Msft]

7. Stop text from overflowing/spilling into specific columns

Text entered into a cell continues to be displayed into the next cell if it is blank - which is normally a very good thing. For eg, text in cell A1 will continue into cell B1 and beyond if they are empty.

But it tends to confuse things somewhat if in a particular column, some cells are filled and some are not. Thus if in column E, cells E3,E5, and E8 are filled, the text entered in column A will continue into column E in rows 1,2,4,6 & 7 and not in rows 3,5,8 making it a very difficult view.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. negative time

At work we have time sheets which we must submit every four weeks to track flexi time.They are badly designed so I thought of producing one that is easy to follow. I am an amateur at excel btw. It will not allow me to enter negative time. So if I owe 3hrs and 30mins; I would like to be able to be able to type -3:30:00. Currently you can't do this it seems.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow us to turn off automatic conversion to date

Search for "make excel stop converting numbers to dates" and you will see the user demand for this feature. Please for the love of all that is holy let this be at least an advanced user setting.

277 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Jessica. We’ve got a few other suggestions on the site that are similar with scientific notation, etc. We’ll take a look at this area, and pay special attention to any cases that get a lot of votes. So please keep the votes coming to help us do a good job at prioritizing asks like this!

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

11. Allow inside borders within merged cells.

Many reports have an area for people to make comments. If the comments are long, chances are the report will be set up to use merged cells, and probably Wrap Text also.

But being able to have borders display to separate lines of text will make long comments much more readable. (for example xlDot, but then functionality to add/edit/delete borders should be available from the front end UI as well as VBA)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow direct editing in cells

Please make an icon in the ribbon for de/activating direct editing in cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Dates prior to 1900

Microsoft Excel date formulas can only use dates entered between 1/1/1900 and 12/31/9999. The upper bound seems to be very far and the lower bound is certainly very near.
    Allow Excel date formulas to work with dates prior to 1900, at least till around the year 1600.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Can't empty the clipboard

Why oh why is Excel throwing up a "Can't empty the clipboard" error for more than a DECADE. Why is it using the clipboard like that at all? It is these idiotic small things that drove me to Google Sheets.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Get rid of the "COPY HERE/PASTE HERE/CANCEL drop-down menu

There's a little drop-down menu that appears unpredictably when I'm trying to get the normal right-click context menu. I'm told it happens if the mouse moves even slightly during the click. Whatever the reason, it serves no useful purpose, and closing it also loses the selection that I wanted to work on. Move and paste are can be done easily using mouse or mouse+ ctrl, so this menu is just a redundant nuisance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Editing a formula in a cell should not overlap the neighbouring left and right cell

When you type a formula in a cell, the full formula is displayed in the grid. If the formula is long, is starts overlapping with cells on the left and right of the edited cell. But it then means you cannot insert the coordinate of these overlaped cells in the formula by clicking on them because what you actually do is click on the formula. When editing a formula in a cell, the display of the formula must be constrained to its cell borders to allow neighbouring cells to be accessible for the click.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. remove multiple hyperlinks

If you right-click on a single cell, the option to remove hyperlink is available.
    But if you select more than one cell (all of them containing hyperlinks) and right-click, the remove hyperlink option does not appear.
    There is no way to remove a sheet-full of hyperlinks in one shot.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remove unused styles

Remove unused styles from workbooks (likely copied in from legacy worksheets) which cause bloat and destroy the cell styles interface functionality. This could happen automatically upon save or as extra functionality under the review tab.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Feature Request: Automatic Significant figures.

Problem: When I put a set of data in excel, lets say a an X and Y column each with 30 rows, and I do several calculations and calculations with the results of those calculations I then have to go through and check each cell for the proper number of sig figs( many times they are not the same with in a row or column).

Solution: I want a automatic sig fig feature that can be applied to the cells which displays the proper number of sig figs.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Prominent Manual Calculation Mode warning

Given the great danger of not realising that calculation mode is set to Manual, it would be very beneficial if a "Manual Calculation Mode" indicator (in bright fire-engine red!) was displayed (and visibility maintained until calc mode is switched back to non-manual) in a prominent location - such as in the Title Bar to the left of the Minimize button.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base