Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AutoSave Master Switch rather than an "I Told YOu So!" later

Microsoft has added a new feature to help users co-author files. Whether you are for or against this feature is not my point here: it needs Excel's AutoSave switched on to work. That's fine. But it shouldn't be the default. It is accepted that Office is trying to make various apps consistent, but Excel is used differently. What makes it the most popular software in the world is the ability to experiment without consequences.

Made a mistake? No fear, close without saving and re-open. Accidentally delete a sheet? Don't worry, close without saving and re-open. Replaced all formulae with =RAND()?…

205 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

36 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Ctrl+A to select all in formula bar

Allow selecting all the text with Ctrl+A in a cell, formula bar, or anywhere that cell references are edited (like Conditional Formatting, Named Ranges, Data Validation).

In addition, allow Ctrl+Backspace in the same places. Ctrl+arrow key already works to skip between words.

This was brought up last year and an MS rep incorrectly marked it "already supported" and closed it for voting. https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10555113-ctrl-a-just-like-any-other-win-app

6 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • I need more options and control for Excel Headers and Footers

We have our logo as well as a title up in the header on many of our Excel spreadsheets and we'd like more control with editing the headers/footers. Why can't we add more than one picture? Why can't we had shapes? Why can't we have more than 250 characters?
        We also want the header to be visible no matter what view we're in, Normal, Page Break or Page Layout, so we know it's always there, without having to open the Header and Footer tab or going to Print Preview. These features need to work for both the Windows and Mac…

12 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Search and Replace: differentiate between Ctrl-B and Ctrl-H again

No kidding, as of this week, Ctrl-F (Ctrl-B in swedish) and Ctrl-H do the same thing: the Search and Replace box opens, with the Search tab selected. So it is an extra Alt-R (in my case, swedish E_r_sätt) to get to the Replace tab. What went wrong?
          Please let the two open different tabs again, just like it was before.

3 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • [Suggestion] Add an option to turn off new Excel Features "Keep the Copy" version 1705

Hi all,

I've already posted this in the microsoft support forum, but they told me it might be better to post it here... so here I am... link (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c73eaae8-1bfe-4d1d-8d62-8b5583bbf73d/suggestion-add-an-option-to-turn-off-new-excel-features-keep-the-copy-version-1705?forum=Office2016setupdeploy)

A few weeks back I've noticed my Excel start functioning weird when the moving ant lines WON'T DISAPPEAR no matter what I do.

After a few hours of research, I've realised it was not a bug, but it was a new feature of Excel, "Keep the Copy".

To be honest, it seems like quite a useful feature, but not when you have to work with Excel on a regular…

15 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Filtering:

Filtering:

When filter button is pressed on any column, the drop down menu should -

1. Show number of recurrences of each unique value displayed in the drop down list, in brackets on the right side of each unique value, in grey font. This will be very helpful in knowing, by just dropping down filter menu, how many records are there for each of unique values shown in the filter drop down list. Currently we have to filter each value and run a countif formula in a help column or look at the bottom line that shows how many records…

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• I would like to be able to see multiple worksheets from the same workbook on screen side-by-side

If often work with multiple, related worksheets in the same workbook. It would be good to be able to see more than one worksheet at a time, instead of having to switch between worksheets all the time.

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • The Find/Replace dialog box should open on the SAME monitor as Excel itself when using multiple monitors.

I've moved the Excel application window to screen 2. Most dialog boxes are good and open in screen 2 also. However, the find/replace box opens in screen 1. I can drag it to screen 2, but next time it opens, it's back in screen 1. This is very frustrating. This happens whether Excel is maximized or not.

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change default setting for "Fill Down" from "infinity" to "end of entered data"

There are a frequent number of times I need to replace a column of numbers to show 0, and I may have 2000 rows. It's a lot, but it's not infinity. When I select my column's first row and go to the "Fill" pull down and select "Fill down," it just goes to infinity instead of the end of my 2000 or so rows. Why would anyone do that? Why is that default? It doesn't make sense to me. Can we stop the fill down at the end of the entered data row instead of infinity?

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Ctrl-A to work in find/replace window

This may be an obscure complaint but it annoys the **** out of me almost every time I use the find window!

When I use Ctrl-F to find something, often I'm doing it multiple times in quick succession for different items I am copying from elsewhere.

My expected routine should be:
                      Ctrl-C (copy text)
                      Ctrl-F (open find window)
                      Ctrl-A (select all text in the find text box)
                      Ctrl-V (replace text in find text box with copied data)
                      Enter

The above would be a lovely left-handed keyboard operation that allows me to keep my right hand on the mouse.

But Ctrl-A…

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow single spreadsheet to be opened in multiple windows

My suggestion is to allow a single workbook to be opened in multiple windows. For example, I have a spreadsheet with two tabs. Formulas on one tab reference cells on a the other tab. If I were able to open each tab simultaneously in its own window, I would be able to much more easily and quickly edit and troubleshoot a spreadsheet. This would be especially useful if one were using two or more monitors.

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Adding values to add to a cell

Let's say a cell has "550" entered into it. It is formatted as General or some number format. In short, not as Text.

I later want to add "690" to that amount. I hit F2, type "+690" and hit Enter. I now have "550+690". Sadly.

There is no hintin the above to anyone in the world that I wanted "550+690". Clearly I wanted those values added, not treated as Text.

What I propose it that Excel move past Quattro Pro envy (it's been 20 years guys) and recognize the very obvious desire there. When I hit Enter in that example,…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Format partial text in cell

Something as simple as being able to bold some (not all) of the words in a plain-text cell. Also font color, etc.

This works in offline Excel, and is displayed correctly if loading that offline Excel file and viewing it online.

Thank you.

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Correct the bug that causes a row to go black when clicking on a cell to edit.

Bug Fix Needed - On every excel document that I created after 9/14/2017 there is a bug that causes a whole row and sometimes whole field to go black when double clicking on a cell to edit it.

0 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Opening two workbooks with same name

I have 2 workbooks, on different file paths. I could not open the 2nd one while the 1st was open because it said "Cannot open two workbooks with the same name...". This should not happen.

9 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Добавить запрет редактирования ячеек на одном листе разным пользователям

Есть необходимость чтобы на одном листе работали разные пользователи в режиме общего доступа, при этом чтобы например: Васе был доступен один диапазон ячеек, а Пете другой диапазон, т.е. Пете недоступны для редактирования ячеейки Васи.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Strikethrough as an option on the Home ribbon

By default, it would be nice to have the strikethrough option available on the Home ribbon under Font. It seems like an option used quite frequently and would help not to always have to go into the Font expanded window just to select it.

6 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bugs with new Excel

a office where everyone just updated to the new excel . They said they have 3 new issues with this update. They said when they are normal mode they have no headers ( this one might be normal ) , when they are in page mode they have no colors , and when they add a column and type in letters and hit tab it blacks out the whole row

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• The ability to copy (or paste) all range when copying/pasting from a filtered range

If I use a filter on a column and remove blanks, only listing the cells with data. I then copy a range (visible and hidden cells) and wish to paste this data into a column of blank cells. With this, I keep the data that was filtered on the same row as before.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• [Power Query] Replace, Move and Rename column in the same action

Hi,
                                          In Power Query it is already possible to select 2 columns and merge their contain in a single column.
                                          In the same way, when you perform transformation on a specific column (replace error, replace null, clean few things, ...) it is common to have your transformation column more or less equals to the source column.
                                          So instead of doing 3 steps: erase the source column, move the transformation column to the previous position of the source column and rename the transformation column with the name of the source column), I would like to select the source column first and…

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base