Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AutoSave Master Switch rather than an "I Told YOu So!" later

Microsoft has added a new feature to help users co-author files. Whether you are for or against this feature is not my point here: it needs Excel's AutoSave switched on to work. That's fine. But it shouldn't be the default. It is accepted that Office is trying to make various apps consistent, but Excel is used differently. What makes it the most popular software in the world is the ability to experiment without consequences.

Made a mistake? No fear, close without saving and re-open. Accidentally delete a sheet? Don't worry, close without saving and re-open. Replaced all formulae with =RAND()?…

301 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

54 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Mark specific cells

with large sheets, there can be are many cells that need weekly or monthly updating.
      these can be formatted differently to identify them, but that does not look good in print or reporting.
      So, like the red comments triangles, or the green attention triangle, it would be great if a label could be put to a cell, preferably like a vertical colored bar on the left side of the cell, that would not be printed. This way, it is always clear which cells need to be updated.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Swap Cell

Don't you hate it when you need to swap two rows but Excel makes you insert a blank row, and then one by one cut and paste the rows you wish to swap. You're not done yet - you now have to delete that extra row you inserted just two swap to other rows. A simple right click option, along with cut, copy, paste, can be 'swap'. Just highlight the two fields you wish to swap and ta-da its done.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ctrl+A to select all in formula bar

Allow selecting all the text with Ctrl+A in a cell, formula bar, or anywhere that cell references are edited (like Conditional Formatting, Named Ranges, Data Validation).

In addition, allow Ctrl+Backspace in the same places. Ctrl+arrow key already works to skip between words.

This was brought up last year and an MS rep incorrectly marked it "already supported" and closed it for voting. https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10555113-ctrl-a-just-like-any-other-win-app

9 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add a paragraph tap to the cell format window

As you open the format cell function, with the paragraph format function (the same that is in word) one can do the following:
            1- Increase / decrease the space before the text.
            2- add bullet points or number points.
            3- adjust the tap position for each cell.
            4- insert a numbering system that can be carried through out the same style in the worksheet.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Automatic clipboard saving Excel 2016 (Office 365)

Change excel clipboard back to the way it was or create on/off feature or clipboard automatic clearing feature after each copy/cut/paste.Very annoying automatic clipboard save copied/cut/pasted. Not only is the glowing cell boarding annoying but when creating new cells/rows/columns forgetting to press "escape" after each copy/cut/paste, it pastes what was last on the clipboard.
              When Microsoft creates new changes for people who request it for many years, please also create an option to keep the old feature the same for those of us who really love it the way it was. Software is supposed to be fast, accurate & efficient…

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• removing sexist algorithms

Please can you allow "Mrs. and Mr." to be written in excel without excel autocorrecting to "Mrs. And Mr." because the traditional rules state that the man is first. I am writing letters to donors and I always put the donor in the first position and the associated donor in the second. Excel only auto capitalizes the "and" when it is in the Mrs. and Mr. position. This is a pain that it was written into the algorithm. And sexist. Thanks.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • TURN OFF CELL HIGHLIGHTING AFTER COPY / PASTE

THIS IS THE STUPIDEST FEATURE! WHY WOULD ANYONE THINK IT IS USEFUL TO HAVE HIGHLIGHTED CELLS REMAIN HIGHLIGHTED WHILE YOU ARE WORKING ON OTHER CELLS OR SPREADSHEETS! THIS IS A NEW FEATURE AND COMPLETELY ANNOYING TO HAVE CELLS REMAIN HIGHLIGHTED WHILE WORKING ON OTHER CELLS! THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT OFF THE SCREEN IS TO SAVE YOUR WORK, CLOSE THE FILE AND RE-OPEN IT. STUPID!!!!!!!!! TURN IT OFF!!! I hope you understand the frustration with this by the all caps and exclamation marks. Thank you.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• cells to copy and paste, once pasted, original cells should un-highlight.

When I select a cell to copy the contents for pasting elsewhere, and then paste the info into the new cell; the selected cell remains highlighted with those circulating green lines regardless of where I click next. Please can we get an option to turn off the green lines after pasting.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Filtering:

Filtering:

When filter button is pressed on any column, the drop down menu should -

1. Show number of recurrences of each unique value displayed in the drop down list, in brackets on the right side of each unique value, in grey font. This will be very helpful in knowing, by just dropping down filter menu, how many records are there for each of unique values shown in the filter drop down list. Currently we have to filter each value and run a countif formula in a help column or look at the bottom line that shows how many records…

8 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Excel should know I do NOT want to draw anything on the graph but should know I'm tapping to bring the cursor up.

I do not use excel to draw, the pen feature should default to a cursor/selector and not the draw tool. I'm not trying to draw in a box

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• automatic cursor movement

Have a great golf league score keeper(excel) but slow because of hitting ENTER after every number given for 18 holes for 120 members takes two people. One to read 3 hole scores at a time while the other one concentrates on keypad to hit correct #key and ENTER.

If possible to add excel suggestion jpeg below would cut the time in half and besides on person with a headset could then use voice command and get done quicker.

Thank You for your time, four people have put together a kick butt spreadsheet that has taken about 4 to 5 years…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pre-load the mouse with a function or feature to single click apply

To apply a function multiple times to different cells. I want a function that I can pre-load the mouse pointer and then single click to apply that function. A bit like a mouse macro. You could set it to apply formatting or similar then once 'armed' click on the cells to apply one at a time.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Auto complete

I like the way Excel offers to auto-complete commonly used descriptions; I think that this facility would add a lot more value if it worked across the whole workbook and not just individual worksheets.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Search and Replace: differentiate between Ctrl-B and Ctrl-H again

No kidding, as of this week, Ctrl-F (Ctrl-B in swedish) and Ctrl-H do the same thing: the Search and Replace box opens, with the Search tab selected. So it is an extra Alt-R (in my case, swedish E_r_sätt) to get to the Replace tab. What went wrong?
                                Please let the two open different tabs again, just like it was before.

4 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Possibility to move the formula bar on the side

Hi,
                                  I've been using spreadsheets since early 80's. Over the years, I've designed some very complex spreadsheets for work and personal projects. Often I have very long formulas that I break them down on several lines to make it easy to understand and troubleshoot.

When I have a very long formula and I stretch the formula bar to try to see it completely, or at least most of it, I only have a few lines visible of my spreadsheet which makes it a little difficult to manage/design.

It would be useful if the formula bar could be moved and park…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• paste to entire column

Please allow us to disable the ability to paste to an entire column. Or better yet, display a pop-up asking if that's what we'd like to do. I've caused Excel to crash numerous times because I have unintentionally "chosen" to paste data to an ENTIRE column(A:A). That would be extremely rare if ever. Excel will lock up as it attempts to paste the data into every single cell in that row to infinity. Depending on what was copied, the program may just crash instead and then I've lost data. Most other errors that users make in which we copy/paste incorrectly…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• search and find defaults

when using the search and find, it would be nice if we could keep the 'choices' for future use. this would help with search and replacing for multiple sheets or repeat situations.

thank you!

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• The Find/Replace dialog box should open on the SAME monitor as Excel itself when using multiple monitors.

I've moved the Excel application window to screen 2. Most dialog boxes are good and open in screen 2 also. However, the find/replace box opens in screen 1. I can drag it to screen 2, but next time it opens, it's back in screen 1. This is very frustrating. This happens whether Excel is maximized or not.

8 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Defaults for Inserting and deleting

When we insert something into a cell, it asks if we want to move things left or up - the "default" answer is LEFT .

When we delete something it asks if we want to move things right or down and the default is RIGHT.

In almost all of the inserting or deleting I do I need the opposite of what the default is, which frequently moves things where I don't want them - and I don't realize it until later.

Is there some way we can choose what we want that default to be? This would help a LOT!

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base