Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. short cut key for Paste just value

Many tims I copy and paste things around from difrent webpages or diffrent spreadsheets into my excel file and it keeps the format too wich causes problem, unless I right click and choos the option, which is so frustrating when you are copy/pasting over hundred things.
    I tried to set one but there is no way. I tried Macro bet it did not work.
    Please please just add a shortcut key (like Shift+Ctrl+v) or let us to set the default like MS Word.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Data validation list- a collective improvemnet

1- Completing the inputted data in the Data validation list while typing it in a cell: Meaning, if you have "January" in the Data Validation List, and you typed "Jan" it will complete it for you. Additionally, it would be nice if it not just completed the inputted data but also suggested 5 more and if you clicked the down arrow button you would select similar to how you typed in google search bar.

2- The list size is relative to zoom level of the sheet, so I would suggest either making the list independent of the sheet zoom level…

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • excel

It would be really good to have an button called 'History' to easy see when doc originally created and each time doc was edited and saved

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Use "Ink" function on Desktop Excel without a touchscreen enabled device

Add the ability to use the "Inking" or "Draw" tools on a non touchscreen enabled device. There is absolutely no reason you should not be able to "sign" a document using a computer mouse. Function is currently greyed out without touchscreen support.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY?

HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY?

HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make a 'swap' hot key that allows the user to swap the contents of two cells.

I often have to swap the contents of cells which is a 5 or 6 step process. It would be nice to be able to highlight cell A, click 'swap' , and then select cell B to make the contents of A go to B and the contents of B go to A

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Context menu that learns what I use

I often use paste special, and rarely use the paste options directly available in the context menu. Have to go to paste special, paste special, and then tell what I want. It would be nice if frequently used items moved to fewer steps and/or greater prominence over time.
                  Related: why is paste special a subcategory of paste special? Why are the main paste options also subcategories of paste special? What I don't need is in there twice, but what I do need requires two layers with identical names.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• allow editing of subject in meeting emails (received or sent)

I regularly edit the "Subject" of emails after receiving (or sending) them to include support ticket numbers or other identifiers to facilitate later searching.

Apparently, in Outlook 2016 I can't edit the "Subject" of meeting-related emails, especially those that I receive from others.

I have read online that this was possible before Outlook 2013 but I can't confirm this personally, and I am now using a macro I found on superuser.com to work around the UI limitation.

Whether this is a new or restored capability, please allow users to edit "Subject" for meeting invitation or response email types, using the…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Toggle for keep the copy function

I think there should be an option to enable/disable the "Keep the Copy" functionality in Excel. Currently, when I copy data from a cell to a web browser, once I paste the data, Excel still keeps the marquee around the copied cell. I learned I have to press escape after pasting the data in order to cancel the copy. I'd like the option to turn this feature off as opposed to being forced to use copying in this way.

15 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard

Regarding the issue of...It's part of the May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard even if you do things that would normally clear it, like typing in a cell, applying formatting, etc.

Pressing ESC will clear the marquee/dancing ants.

Why in the world would Microsoft and an extra step here. This is terrible. At least give us the option to turn off the function. Please change this back or give us the option. Very disappointed!

412 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

238 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to all that responded to the recent survey and to all that have taken the time to provide comments. We have read all of the feedback and we’re determining the best way to resolve the pain points that you have with the changes.

Much of the feedback falls into these categories:

Differences with VBA Macros – When we initially release the “Keep the Copy” functionality in May of last year, there were differences for copy operations in VBA Macros. In an August update last year we made a change such that the keep the clipboard functionality is disabled when VBA macros are running. If you are still experiencing differences for copy operations in macros compared to previous version of Excel we would like to know more about what you are seeing.

Using Keyboard shortcuts to insert cells – Prior to the Keep the Copy functionality, the first insert operation…

• Modify functionality of the Insert Copied Cells command

I know I can cut a line in a worksheet and paste it elsewhere IN THE SAME WORKSHEET without leaving a blank line behind by using the "Insert Copied Cells" command. But using that command when pasting the cut line into a different sheet in the same workbook (or into a different workboook) leaves behind a blank line that I must then go back and remove. It would be great if the "Insert Copied Cells" command worked the same way across worksheets or workbooks as it does within a worksheet.

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel window display should keep selected cells in view after removing filter.

When a filter is removed, by checking Select All, the position of the window cursor should not change. Currently selected cells should remain in view, especially if only one cell or row is selected.

Often, the cursor returns to the top of the spreadsheet, requiring a painful scroll or search to find the currently selected cell. Smarter window management is needed.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• you shuld be add a batton just like "open with destop excel"

if online exce lunavailable then why you don't add a "open with destop excel batton" .

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• desktop shortcut

When I share an Excel sheet with someone over OneDrive, there is currently no way for them to create a Desktop Shortcut to that file. Can you make this available?

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• It would be great if there were an ABBREVIATION search function in Excel

When dealing with company names that are UPPER CASE and then converted via the PROPER function, abbreviations and acronyms are improperly formatted with a leading UPPER CASE character followed by a string of lower case characters, i.e., Nasa instead of NASA or Bill Gates Iii rather than III and Llc vs LLC. If there could be an ABBREVIATION search function that would identify all the word strings, not in the dictionary, and thereby allow the user to convert them to all UPPER CASE with or without the option of periods between each letter and then save these found and corrected…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base