Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel would be great if it added the "Change Case" drop down menue from Word to Excel

By adding Word's "Change Case" options to Excel it would improve Excel's editing abilities and increase customer productivity adding value to the Excel product

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Watermark in Excel workbook

Idea of insertion/ removal of Watermark in the excel sheet like in word is likely for some creative work

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I want to insert many rows

I wish that there's an field to input how many rows or columns I want to insert right in Insert popover. I tired of inputting one by one row =))) Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Set default to Copy - paste visible only, opt into paste hidden

Set default to Copy - paste visible only, opt into paste hidden
    The Default setting should be able to be set for visible only with paste special being for hidden.

Really annoying when working with filtered lists and pasting on everything hidden and not knowing / forgetting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. short cut key for Paste just value

Many tims I copy and paste things around from difrent webpages or diffrent spreadsheets into my excel file and it keeps the format too wich causes problem, unless I right click and choos the option, which is so frustrating when you are copy/pasting over hundred things.
    I tried to set one but there is no way. I tried Macro bet it did not work.
    Please please just add a shortcut key (like Shift+Ctrl+v) or let us to set the default like MS Word.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Calendar, calendar, calendar!

For over twenty years, the calendar is not available for Excel (interact with sheet)! And you kill ActiveX calendar too. I'm looking for good words...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Cut and delete/remove cells

When cutting & pasting information (rows or columns) from the middle of one sheet to another sheet or workbook I always think it's a real pain to have to go back to the first sheet to delete the empty rows or columns.
    I'm no Excel expert, but I've never found a way around this?
    So my idea is to have a (right click) "cut & delete" or "cut & remove" option?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. undo by cell

Have a way to undo the last thing that was done to a specific cell, without having to undo everything that has been done since that. I have a workaround, but it is a bit involved.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. UPPER CASE FOR ALL ,LOWER CASE FOR ALL,UPPER CASE OF EVERY LETTER IN A SENTENCE AND UPPER CASE OF JUST FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD IN A SENT.

UPPER CASE FOR ALL ,LOWER CASE FOR ALL,UPPER CASE OF EVERY LETTER IN A SENTENCE AND UPPER CASE OF JUST FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD IN A SENTENCE.

Will be helpful if you can help me with this?!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Unhide mulitpile or all hidden sheets

Being able to unhide all or multiple sheets at once, rather than single sheet.
    When the selection of hidden sheets appear have the ability to pick different sheets by using Ctrl and mouse
    Maybe also have an unhide all option

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. More meaningful grouping of ribbon commands

More meaningful grouping of ribbon commands (Borders and Fill color settings now under Font formatting).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Notification to other users of a file.

Have an option to notify the user who has a file open that another user wants to edit the file; not just a notify button for yourself to be informed when the file is closed by the other user.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow user to select ranges and edit cells within a merged cell without un-merging cells

PROBLEM: We often have tables (not always defined as a formal table range) that include horizontally merged cells within a row. On occasion, we need to delete a block of cells from the center of the table where the merged rows span over the cells being deleted. This operation cannot be performed because we cannot specifically select the block of cells we want to delete.

GLITCH: When a block selection includes horizontally merged cells, the selection is forced to expand to included the full width of any merged cells included in the range. This, in turn, forces a widened selection…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to right click and take the sum in the status Bar

In the status bar when you select a bunch of numbers it shows the Sum, Average and Count (default setting). A feature where one can right click on the status bar and copy the sum (or Average or count) to paste it in another file would be super useful. Sometimes we need to select a few items and quickly get the sum etc and probably paste it in an email or take the data into another excel file. That way one can avoid writing formulas or scribbling it on a piece of paper.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Delete comments option is gone. BRING IT THE **** BACK YOU PUKES.

Delete comments option is gone. BRING IT THE **** BACK YOU PUKES.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Here's an idea to insert watermark on the sheet and to remove watermark also

Idea to insert watermark or watermark removal from any worksheet or file in excel also may be good

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. reversecase

I often find that I have typed in text data whilst CAPS LOCK is on. Word has a feature where one can change text case easily. It would be great if this could be included in Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Convert PDF to Excell

It was be awesome if you could convert PDF or Word documents to Excel. There are many Files I have that seem to be Excel format, but are PDF's. As a store manager in retail, there are several metrics that are sent to us, and it'd make the admin side of the job MUCH easier if this short cut was invented. Thank you.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Provide an option to create a text editor over a rectangular region of user selected cells

The current options for including a block of multi-line text in a sheet are either typing into a region of merged cells or using a floating textbox object. Both forms have substantial usability issues. For example, entering text into a region of merged cells requires hitting Alt-Enter to insert line breaks meaning two key strokes which is in contrast to the universal accepted way of pressing Enter. Furthermore, this option does not support rich styling such as bullets or any of the text alignments in the Ribbon home tab. On the other hand, a floating textbox object, while providing a…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base