Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation.

Prevent Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation.

704 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

217 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the post Caleb. As some folks in the comments mention, you can change the format of the cell to Text before the paste. But even so, it’s clear that there’s some user pain around this experience. We hear you and we’ll evaluate how we can do a better job here. As always, we’ll spend the most time/attention on the things with the most votes, so please keep voting for things you want the most.

Best,
      John [MS XL]

• Maintain leading zeroes when entering values in cells

There should be an application setting OR paste recovery option OR cell format to retain leading zeroes when entering values in cells (either manually or through another means like CSV import).

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] Updated idea title and description to broaden this issue from maintaining leading zeros on CSV data import to maintaining them on any cell entry.)

526 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the post – and thanks to all those that are speaking with their votes – we’re listening. I’ll get someone on the team to take a look at this. As always, keep voting for things that matter to you – the things with the most votes will tend to get prioritized higher on our side.

Thanks,
        John [MS XL]

• Make Undo stacks track per workbook instead of globally

Undo stacks are currently global between all workbooks that are open at a given time, so pressing undo on one workbook might undo a change in a different workbook. As someone who frequently has multiple workbooks open at a time, it would be much more helpful to be able to step through the edits made on each individual workbook.

367 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Unselecting cells when using Ctrl to select multiple cells

When using Ctrl to select multiple cells, we can't unselect a cell when it was misclicked. Instead, we have to click these cells all over again. Please allow us to unselect cells!

236 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We generally try to prioritize things according to the number of votes they get – so please be sure to vote for things you want to see done sooner.

Thanks,
            John [MS XL]

• IP Address as a datatype.

I would love to see IP Addresses added as a format option and functions added for validation of the IP addresses..

For instance InSubnet(Network as IP,Netmask as Integer,address as IP) to determine if an IP is within a Subnet;

Being able to do addition/subtraction on the field would be awesome as well!

175 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, and thanks to those that making their vote heard. This is a pretty interesting ask – take a look at the comment I made. I’d like us to understand a few related things. And as always, please keep voting for the things you care about most.

Cheers,
              John [MS XL]

• Allow us to turn off automatic conversion to date

Search for "make excel stop converting numbers to dates" and you will see the user demand for this feature. Please for the love of all that is holy let this be at least an advanced user setting.

133 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Jessica. We’ve got a few other suggestions on the site that are similar with scientific notation, etc. We’ll take a look at this area, and pay special attention to any cases that get a lot of votes. So please keep the votes coming to help us do a good job at prioritizing asks like this!

Cheers,
                John [MS XL]

• AutoSave Master Switch rather than an "I Told YOu So!" later

Microsoft has added a new feature to help users co-author files. Whether you are for or against this feature is not my point here: it needs Excel's AutoSave switched on to work. That's fine. But it shouldn't be the default. It is accepted that Office is trying to make various apps consistent, but Excel is used differently. What makes it the most popular software in the world is the ability to experiment without consequences.

Made a mistake? No fear, close without saving and re-open. Accidentally delete a sheet? Don't worry, close without saving and re-open. Replaced all formulae with =RAND()?…

101 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Be able to protect Power Pivot data model and measures with password

When you create a data model and measures in PowerPivot with PRO versions, users can modify and edit both.

Users and customers that have no idea on how the model has been build can make a lot of damage and dysfunction.

As well as VBA has it would be very interesting that Power Pivot has the option to be able to protect data model and measures with a password.

84 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Fill Handle For Worksheet Copy

If I have a worksheet called January and I Ctrl+Drag that sheet to make a copy, Excel should automatically call it February. Use the same logic as the Fill Handle (support months, weekdays, and any custom list).

77 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Paste Special - Add a numeric field when using one operation

Via the Paste Special we can operate on a range of values. However, to do, for instance, a multiplication, we first need to use a cell for it. As an option I would like to see that we can instead add a number to the Paste Special dialog as the attached screen shot shows.

45 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Protect me from #REF! ambushes

Every so often I delete cells and unbeknownst to me create a bunch of #REF! errors in another part of my worksheet. I may not realize until much later when I can no longer undo back to fix the error. Excel could spare me this. If my deletion is about to create #REF!s it should bring up an alert like "Other cells depend on the cells you are about to delete. Would you like Excel to adjust their formulas to avoid #REF! errors? [Yes][No][Cancel]. [No] would do what it does today. [Cancel] would abort the operation. [Yes] would smartly substitute…

45 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to RH for posting this suggestion. If avoiding #REF! errors is important to you also, please add your vote to support RH’s suggestion. We will prioritize accordingly.

Thanks,
                          Steve (MS Excel)

• Give user option to NOT take selected/all Defined Names to new workbook when copying worksheet

If you copy a worksheet from one workbook to another, Excel currently also automatically copies ALL Defined Names (even if there is no range in the source workbook to which these refer!). It will also copy without warning names with a different scope to an existing name in the target workbook (i.e. If an existing name has Workbook scope, a copied Sheet scoped name will be copied without an warning of the duplication!). This can result in a huge number of redundant or conflicting Names in the target workbook.

31 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Prominent Manual Calculation Mode warning

Given the great danger of not realising that calculation mode is set to Manual, it would be very beneficial if a "Manual Calculation Mode" indicator (in bright fire-engine red!) was displayed (and visibility maintained until calc mode is switched back to non-manual) in a prominent location - such as in the Title Bar to the left of the Minimize button.

23 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Change Excel's paste default behavior

When you do an ordinary paste like Ctrl+V, Excel pastes the cell values, formatting, validation, everything. However, many users usually paste only values when working, and the extra handling to paste special is not productive.
                              Word and OneNote have a setting that allow the user to choose the default paste type, and that should also be available in Excel.
                              -
                              I know there are add-ins to workaround that and also the shortcut AppKey+V to paste values, but I think that should be a native Excel setting.

17 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• The ability to copy (or paste) 'visible cells only' when copying/pasting from a filtered range into a column of empty cells

An example is the following scenario:

If I use a filter on a column and remove blanks, only listing the cells with data. I then copy this data (visible cells only) and wish to paste this data into a filtered column of blank cells.

Currently Excel pastes this data into the unfiltered cells. It would be a great addition if Excel would allow users to paste in the filtered list that was visible only with the filter applied.

It is possible to get round this using a macro but I feel it should be part of a feature within Excel…

16 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Use General format when inserting a new column instead of inheriting the format of the previous one.

Use Genral format when inserting a new column instead of inheriting the format of the previous one. Or ask the user.

16 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Excel ‘Paste Special’ to operate on ‘Cut’ data as well as ‘Copied’ data

When entering one of a few columns of data into a spreadsheet, I missed one number, so entered the others one row too high. To avoid re-entering all of the latter numbers, I tried to ‘Cut’ and use ‘Paste Special’ to move all the values down one row. (A simple ‘Cut’ and ‘Paste’ would have moved the references as well, achieving nothing except misaligning the rows.) After several frustrating attempts, I realized that I could only use ‘Paste Special’ if I ‘Copied’ the cells rather than ‘Cut’ them. Unlike cutting, this left the topmost incorrect cell with its value unchanged,…

14 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Swap rows / columns / ranges (Paste Special > Swap, for instance)

a 'Swap' function (as a right-click) could allow data in specific cells or ranges to be swapped. Without it, users need to find or create an interim sheet / cell, which is a pain. I'd like this to work like the existing Paste-transpose function.

13 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Linked Transpose Paste

You can copy and paste special by linking or transposing, but you can't do both. Please fix

12 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add an easy way (Ribbon button) to change text casing (UPPER, lower, Sentence, etc.)

Currently Excel is the only Office application that doesn't have the ribbon-button to change selected text to uppercase or lowercase.
                                          The only way to do it is to use the function =UPPER() and then copy/paste the resulted value into the original cell.
                                          It would be good to have a button to change the selected text to uppercase or lowercase.

12 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base