Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. be able to print an entire workbook instead of just 1 page at a time

I do budgets one year at a time. one month per page/sheet. i'd like to print out an entire year (12 pages) without having to print one page/sheet at a time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Single click selected area printing to fit paper

I struggle with this since 20 years I'm using Excel. As people do not take the time to set the print area on their work, whenever I get an Excel and want to print it, I need to do 10 clicks to actually ********* one sheet of paper. 1. Select area, 2. page layout tab, 3. print area selector, 4. set print area, 5. file, 6. print, 7. page setup, 8. scaling/fit to page, (9. landscape if it is a wide table), 10. print

It would be fantastic to have a "print selected area" option that does all this and…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Let me print pages that are not consecutive, in one print command. For example, let me print pages: 1,4-5,9 from ENTIRE workbook.

Let me print pages that are not consecutive, in one print command. For example, let me print pages: 1,4-5,9 from ENTIRE workbook.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Incorporate "snaking" under the print options to allow printing long tall lists into multiple columns on one sheet of paper.

Incorporate "snaking" under the print options to allow printing long tall lists into multiple columns on one sheet of paper.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Printing an entire workbook with the same settings

When selecting to print an entire workbook and you select the option "fit to one page" you currently need to go to each page in the print screen and select "fit to one page". It does not automatically apply to all the pages when printing an entire workbook. This would be a helpful feature.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I'd like to have a "no print" option for cells, rows and columns.

I would like to be able control which cells, rows and columns would not print, without having to Hide them. Sometimes I want to see the data/formulas in the cells, but not have them on my final hard copies.
    Hiding and unhiding adds steps to my workflow.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Dialog box notifying user that Printing will generate a large number of pages

When you click Print, Excel should look at the number of pages that will be generated and give you a dialog box noting that you should check your page setup because if you continue you will generate X number of pages.

This is an issue I've had with Excel for decades, not years, decades! By now Excel should be able to review your document page breaks and identify that your spreadsheet for example is 26 columns wide and 26 rows long, could be printed on one sheet. It should then give you a dialog box alerting you to check your…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Improve pre-printing view

I have selected the way I want a 2-page spreadsheet to print. It has horizontal lines to separate sections. When I saw the pre-print display these lines were no longer there. Now I can't see how to get back to the page layout stage to make alterations.

Please provide an obvious option to return from the pre-print display to the page layout stage.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. how to print mailing labels

how to print out mailing labels

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Page Setup - Repeat Rows at bottom

Under page setup there is an option to repeat rows at the top. My problem is I would also like repeat rows at the bottom. I work in data analysis and frequently have data tables that are multiple pages. It would be great if each page contained the rows at the bottom which in my case are (Mean, C.V., LSD, etc).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. can find print preview button in excel. also cant find what version of excel i am running.

can find print preview button in excel.

also cant find what version of excel i am running.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Apply page setup setting to other workbooks

I am looking for a method to apply page setup settings (header, footer, and all other page print setups) to other workbooks (not sheets in the current workbook).

Example:

I have the setting I need in a file (excel template or other excel file).

Some other SW tool is automatically generating reports in excel file format (new workbooks).

I need a method to apply the page settings to the new workbooks (and not to do it manually to each of them)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Print preview on Help windows to select page(s) to be printed; also include the ability to adjust the margins

If we could see what we are printing before clicking the Ok button, we won't be surprise for a 10 pages printout when it would have been only 6 pages (we would have changed the fonts size). Printing materials from the Help windows for easier access on a later day when needed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make print preview open on the page currently being edited, not the start of the file

There are serious (and ancient!) bugs in Excel that cause the final hard copy to differ considerably from the on-screen editing view. To ensure that all cell content is visible in the final copy, I have to open print preview frequently to find and correct layout problems. In Word, print preview opens on the page currently being edited, but in Excel it opens on page 1 of multi-page documents, so I have to search down to the current editing location. Excel's print preview should also open on the current page. Also, it should be possible to scroll through print preview…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Change aspect ratio on "print to fit" to fill empty space on landscape page

The print to fit feature is powerful. However, printing for example a summary project plan to a page may leave a lot of empty space to the right of the landscape page. It would be awesome to be able to change the aspect ratio to fill the entire page. The current workaround is to take a screenshot, save it as an image and then stretch the image in PowerPoint to fill the empty space.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option in 365 to MANUALLY print on both sides!

In my old Microsoft Excel, I had the option to manually print on both sides. In the 365 version, I have no option to do that. So even if my printer says it will duplex print, it still prints 2 sheets because my printer needs a MANUAL fix of paper (which I don't mind doing). But not having that option is really fuking up my work and wasting a sht ton of paper. Now I have to take more time to print each document section by section because of that non manual feature.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Create a property for cells that toggles printing of cell contents.

there should be a property for each cell that allows you to turn off printing of its contents. Some cells you want to be visible on the screen (without hiding entire rows or columns) but non-printing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Print Preview Should Display in the Colour That is Being Printed

I would like to see Print Preview display whatever colour is being printed. eg B & W printing Print Preview displays B & W.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. We don't have options to add border line in header and footer area.

Suppose we are printing a page with a border outline of full page then our header and footer always come outside of that border . So we need to add border to header or footer area to match with our page border .

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base