Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Saving a file in multipule locations using the 'save' function - i.e. ability to setup multipule save locations as required

When 'saving' a file, my suggestion is to allow an option where you can establish more than a single location, or format for that file to be saved, When clicking the 'save' function, then the file will be saved to all of your required locations and in the format wanted. This would be in addition to 'File History', and 'Cloud' saves, i.e. flash drive, external drive, or web location.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have a button under options to save template to XLSTART folder

A default start file can be saved to XLSTART as Book.xltx

There should be a button to allow people to do this more easily

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Drag and drop to email

When working on an Excel file I would like to be able to just drag it over and drop it in an open email. Right now I have to close the file then select add attachment. Not the end of the world but it would be helpful to be able to just drag it over.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatically save macro enabled template (.xltm) file as macro enabled file (.xlsm)

I have created a macro template file (.xltm), when saving it, it tries to save as a .xlsx rather than a .xlsm.
    There might be a few odd reasons for this being needed but surely the majority of the time you want to save the macro with the new file?
    This also applies to the "Save As" with any macro enabled worksheet.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Having recovered documents that don't show their relative saved dates is useless. When I see "Version created last time...", that's annoying

Make Excel display save dates for ALL recovered files; "Version created last time use saved the file..." is a waste of time...

Separate out the recovered files, and group them according to name the same as if they were in a bulleted list, that way, I know what I'm looking at when there are 10+ of them...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Multi-setting dropdown list

I would like to see a Smart Drop Down List (SDDL). Picture it being like a HLOOKUP function, except:
    1. column 1 is a selection of possible values that could be entered from in the drop down list.
    2. Column 2 is a corresponding variable to col. 1 value
    3. Column 3 is also selected based on col 1 value.

So in a modeling environment, rather than have to do a klugy separate sheet etc, I would have Smart Drop Down List
    The columns I could enter would be:
    User Choice Variable 1 Variable 2
    (example of entry)
    50% retrace…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Asterisk in title bar next to filename to denote changes have been made without saving

Asterisk in title bar next to filename to denote changes have been made without saving

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Colour-coded Recent files

I have both personal files and work files on my Open > Recent Files list. I would like to be able to colour-code them so that they are easier to distinguish, or even Categorise them with headings so that I can see the difference.

This would be great for all Microsoft Apps (Word, Project, Excel, etc)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add 'Open as read-only' back to the context menu of Excel files

Old versions of Excel had this option and I liked it. If I need to look at a file without modifying it, I want to be able to directly open it as read-only.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. CSV saving from Excel with commas not semicolons

When I save my file using the "CSV UTF-8 comma delimited" my file does not save using commas.
    When I upload it to PowerBI, it is recognized only when I switch the type of input file from commas to semicolons.
    It seems to be happening with my non English version of Excel (I use the French one), but my colleague in Ireland using the English version has no problem with this, and can save the file using commas and it will indeed use commas.
    Would be nice to look into it to fix it :)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. increase character limits on filenames in the cloud

Microsoft advertise that they have given us a godlike 400 character limit in OneDrive and SharePoint. Sounds good...Until you find out that not one of the Office applications supports more than 259 characters, and Excel is the clear winner at 218. Thats HALF. Not a bit less, HALF. This is borderline fraudulent, I have had customers who couldn' go to Sharepoint because of the file name limits, and after wasting a load of money on Migrations and setting up Sharepoint, all because Microsoft told us we can have 400 characters in a name, we have to revert everything back. For…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Reducing/disabling popups for saving and then closing a csv/tex files

Imagine I want to save an existing file and the close it. How many popups would you expect? If it's and xlsx file you get 0. If it's a CSV you get 2 maybe 3. After hitting save you get a "some features might be lost warning" I don't care it's a csv. On closing you get a "want to save your changes" question, WTF? I literally just saved the file, didn't I? Oh maybe not, better save it again! If you do save it again you get the first pop up a second time. Can we have the option…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. File - -> Save As - - > Values

In my current project I need to have a Data file with all my formulae and a report file containing only the values minus the formulae.

My suggestion is that instead of copying data and pasting as Values or using VBA scripts, can we have a Save As Value file? This would make it very easy to only save the contents/values of a file and while keeping the original one intact.

Currently files loaded with formulae take forever to open and filter. Copy pasting works but that's a few extra steps. If there was a direct way it would make…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Save Changes

The new Save changes dialog that appears when you close without saving, add more location options. You've added an additional click through to get the typical save dialog. This is in-efficient.

Dont mind the new style but would like more locations options. Would like any options that are generally available below the "This PC" on the typical explorer save dialog. Bonus points for being able to pin a location to the menu for frequent use.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make file browsing consistent between local drives and OneDrive/SharePoint locations

When opening files in Excel (or other Office programs) the browsing behaviour between local drives and SharePoint/OneDrive locations is different.

When opening a file from a local drive the file browsing works like in File Explorer:

- single clicking a file results in a highlight/select the file
    - typing characters allows you to position yourself in potentially long lists
    - double-click opens the file

When browsing through the OneDrive or SharePoint locations the behaviour is different:
    - single clicking results in immediately opening the file
    - using the keyboard to position or search for filenames in the list is impossible

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. while going for "Save As" keep an option to add new folder directly without the need to click on (additional Options) which takes extra time

while going for "Save As" keep an option to add new folder directly without the need to click on (additional Options) which takes extra time

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. CSV outside of the USA

The USA uses a comma to separate values in a CSV file. Such a file, when opened on a Windows that is configured for the USA, opens correctly, with the values in the separate columns.
    Sadly this doesn't work in Europe or any other continent/country where the comma is not the system default separater. That means, every time I open a system generated CSV, which always uses the comma as a separator, I have to click on A (to mark all in A) -> Data -> Text to Columns -> Next -> click on Comma -> Finish. That's 6 clicks…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable different view list of templates (list instead of thumbnails)

When looking at templates in Excel 2016 (and maybe newer versions), they are displayed as large generic thumbnails. The full template names are often not visible and the thumbnails take up a lot of space without any apparent benefit.
    Please replace with or offer option to have a list of templates with full file names visible.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Saving Files

Have the ability to save a file in two locations automatically.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Microsoft Excel 2016, Microsoft Word 2016, Microsoft PowerPoint 2016 All Not Saving Consistently

Please see previous thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office2013release-word/i-am-saving-word-2013-documents-but-it-is-not/e3adc633-5d17-4de0-a796-64cb500de737 as a reference.

Considerable time has passed and a new version of Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition have since been installed on my computer including Microsoft 2016 stand alone version Microsoft Word, Excel, & Power Point (have upgraded from Windows 8.1 forward) but the problems still persist to this day and this morning, I am using Microsoft Excel today as an example:

... as you guessed it, it is STILL happening!

As you can see from the screenshot I have set Excel (Word, Power Point, etc.) to save every minute that I have…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base