Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make "Discard Changes" Less ambiguous

When opening a file from the server while i've been offline, sometimes I get an error saying that someone has made changes. The message says "Your file wasn't uploaded because your changes can't be merged with changes made by someone else."

Then it asks me if I want to "Discard Changes". Whos Changes? Mine or theirs? The button should be changed to something like "Discard My Changes" or "Discard Their Changes" not just "Discard Changes"

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add 'Last Saved' time and date to status bar

Adding the time last saved to the status bar would help users remember to save their work more frequently.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fixing automatic updates crashing excel files

It is INCREDIBLY frustrating that MS automatically installs updates when an Office 365 file is open and that causes it to crash Excel and create an autorecover version that then won't Sync with my OneDrive. Come on.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Export / save copy as [csv, etc], keep workbook format as excel

I have nicely formatted data in .xlsx format, but wants to export to .csv for consumption elsewhere.

It is possible, using the "save as", but that will trigger a long series of dialogs asking if I want to switch format for workbook, which I don't want.

I propose adding more choices to "export", basically same choices as in "save as," but which will save a copy, keeping your open document in original format.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Lotus 1-2-3 File Support

While I recognize the usage of Lotus 1-2-3 is very small at this point, I know people that still use the application heavily and move between 1-2-3 and Excel based on the historical data they have to maintain. Lotus 1-2-3 can open Excel files, but Excel can't open 1-2-3 files natively nor do you get a great experience saving these into OneDrive for Business. Adding support to open and work with 1-2-3 files in Excel and Excel Online would help the segment of customers still using Lotus 1-2-3.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix problem that changes linked Excel file location

When creating a link between data in 2 Excel sheets without OneDrive, the program links to the file location on the hard drive. Once OneDrive is in place, Excel forgets the hard drive location and only links to the OneDrive web location... so when you open the file the data link to the other file fails. This is a MAJOR problem. This renders one of the most vital functionality of Excel useless!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Changes to Read-Only Mode

In Read-Only mode for Excel 2013 you can still enter data into cells, at least when opening from a Sharepoint site. However, they information just doesn't save. Since sharepoint opens Excel in Read-Only as default and there is no prompt, my employees tend to not notice and enter their data and don't realize it is in Read-Only and therefore lose all their changes as soon as they exit the application. Read-Only mode either needs a prompt that shows up in the middle of the screen asking if the User wants to open in edit mode OR Read-Only mode needs to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When excel opens you should show PINNED files before showing RECENT files; what's the point of having pinned items? Am I missing something

Open excel showing PINNED files first. What's the point of showing RECENT files before showing PINNED files? that's totally inefficient and illogical. Or, am I missing some setting to fix that problem. If so where's the setting?

You have recent files all over the place, like Quick access etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. In File menu, add an option to 'Save & Close' in one step.

In File menu, add an option to 'Save & Close' with one click. Currently, one has to either:

Click on 'Save', then click on 'Close', OR

Click on 'Close', and then answer the question "Do you want to save the changes etc etc." with another click.

With the option to 'Save & Close', this would be done with one initial click.

Multiplied by a million files being 'Save(d)' and 'Close(d)' around the world every day, that's a lot of clicks!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. FILE | OPEN menu and screen

Just got updated and the pinned items on the File|Open screen got bigger causing the non-pinned items to shove off the screen.

Here's the thing: There's a whole right half of that screen that is not used for anything. Nothing.

I'd like the pinned items to display to the right and non-pinned MRU list type items to display to the left. So File and its weird submenu, a couple inches non-pinned half the remainder, pinned the other half of the remainder.

Or switch pinned and non-pinned, though I'd prefer the above.

But not the world of scroll six feet down…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Way to disable greetings

Excel started to "greet" me recently and home page is showing template list.
    I have disabled showing of templates from startup so this is supper annoying.
    How do I stop both things? Excel does not know me so don't tell me "Good morning" or such.
    This just craps on my screen and covers with junk forcing me to use extra clicks to get to things. I want to see the real list of pinned items/ last accessed ones - and in this order.
    95% of the time I use only pinned items and last access time is not relevant to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. save all files

There should be an option to save ALL open files at once. This way if you're working across multiple files you don't have to go through and save each individually.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Option To Refresh Stock Data When File Opens

It would be terrific to have the option on a per-file basis to automatically refresh our Stock data types when our workbooks open. I would envision this being a similar functionality to what we have available to us in the Pivot Table options.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. make "recent files" screen an option when starting Excel, instead of start screen

have no use for the start screen. operate via recent files all the time. I can disable the start screen upon excel opening, but then i always end up with an unneeded blank document which stays open after i've opened the doc i need.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Remove the unused space in the File Open Recent dialog to allow long file names

The File Open (Recent) dialog shows :

• a vertical scroll bar and

• an empty/unused space on the right hand

The scroll bar has a fixed position.
    Therefore long file names are truncated.

So far no-one can tall what this empty space is being used for.

My suggestion is to
    either
    - allow users to move the vertical scroll bar more to the right
    or
    - better, to remove the empty space.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add a "Recently Closed" list for the Open menu

The open menu's list of recent files is based on when they are open. If I'm working over an extended period of time and finally close a workbook it may fall off the end of the list because it might have been open for 2 weeks. Could you add the option to list files by most recently closed. Then when I close 3 files they will most certainly appear at the top of this list, because the files I am most likely to re-open tomorrow are the ones I closed today.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allowing Excel to save xlsx into parquet format

I am doing a lot of data science and I use a lot of csv in data lakes. Problem is processing csv and xlsx takes a long time. Saving in columnar format will make processing a lot faster

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Stop overcomplicating Excel

I've worked with Excel multiple years and had never had any issue with files missing. In today's Excel, the simple act of saving a file needs a workflow with a barrage of questions. There are now Save a Copy, do you want the changes on both the original and updated one, do you want to the cloud, your computer, etc. I just want to SAVE what I see on my screen to the same place where I retrieved it with a different file name so I have the original and revised copy. That's all.
    I don't really want to have…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. File Saved Indicator

It would be helpful to know that the current spreadsheet (or document or PowerPoint file) has been saved since you made your last change in case you get interrupted and don't remember whether you saved it or not. By simply greying out the file save icon (looks like an old floppy disk) then you'd know that there was nothing new since your last save. As soon as you make another change, the icon becomes active again, of course. I've seen this on other programs and it's very reassuring to have.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base