Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Eliminate 2 step process to opening files

Eliminate 2 step process to opening files. file open should bring you directly to folder path without having to also press browse.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Capability to sort pinned files in Excel 2016 alphabetically by filename instead of just by date and time.

Excel 2016 for Windows should have the capability to sort pinned files alphabetically by filename instead of just by date and time.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. On the home page allow user to chose if they want pinned or recent files to display first

I use pinned files and want this to display as option rather than it defaulting to recent files. (as other users may want other way round have an option to set a default for users

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Need to bring back Recent Items folder originally available under Win 7 favorites. New file access within Apps is anti productivity

May Recent Items folder available to Quick Access that shows up in open and save option in Windows Office Apps

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow workbooks to open at individual sized windows

Various excel workbooks can be resized to display a window necessary to display and manipulate forms. It is annoying when opening an excel workbook, it remembers the size option of the last workbook opened.
    I'd like to see each saved workbook open in it's own sized window, set when it was saved. This way, when one opens a workbook the last window size it was saved as - is the size it opens up to. Each workbook having it's own individual size. New workbooks can be full screen, until resized and saved.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When opening a CSV (not importing), use the same smart seperator detection as during import.

When opening a CSV file that has a different seperator than your Windows settings, the splitting of columns can be carried out incorrectly. This can be circumvented by first opening Excel and then importing Data From Text/CSV, but it would be easier if this would be done when opening the CSV from the file explorer.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Get numbers back to Most Recently Used instead of "Y3"

In the last update of Word, Excel and Powerpoint the Most Recently Used file list has changed with respect to shortcut keys. Instead of being able to use "Alt+F => R => [number 1 to 9]" you have to type "Y3" to get the first file in the list. This is completly useless and in no way an improvement.

Please bring back the ability to number them from "1" instead of "Y3"

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Get rid of the dire Backstage screens and go back to the old Save As or File Open boxes.

Get rid of the dire Backstage screens and go back to the old Save As or File Open boxes.

The new lists of recently used files that appear on the Backstage are about as intuitive as a box of dead cockroaches. Today's example, I have 2 files open, both opened from the current month's folder, I open a 3rd file from last month's folder to save in the current month, and yet the current month folder is nowhere to be seen on the Backstage lists.
    It is pathetic. Then I have to click browse to open up the familiar Save…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow me to pin more than 11 files to the task bar

If I pin more than 10 files, the last ones don't show up unless I unpin some others. The recent files no longer show up at all unless you have less than 10 items pinned. I work with several files, plus have others that I don't use all the time but may have worked on today and want to go back to.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. In Office 365, fix the 'reopen after closing' bug

In Office 365, both Excel and Word always try to reopen after I've closed them. This has been reported by many people, but nothing seems to have been done to fix it, even with the regular updates.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. ease to reach sheet..

Hello USers,

Worksheet containing 20 to 30 sheets or more whereas 2 or 3 sheets are summary..so user can right click on particular sheet and send to desktop..this will help user to directly open the required sheet under worksheet in any emergency(to reach quicker) or to know he current progress by viewing sheet title..

Regards,

Girish Surve

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow multiple attempts when entering a password

When opening a password protected file, if you type it incorrectly, you have to open the file again and type it in. Similarly, if you click to open the file twice, and type the password correctly, the second file will then open, forcing you to type the password again. If you hit cancel on the second file, the first (correctly authenticated) workbook will close.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Show the actual character count when filepath length exceeds the 218 character count

We have to deal with the limitation that the full filename (including path) cannot exceed 218 characters. When it happens, we get an error message describing the issue (sort of); could you include the "current" character count so we can remove only the necessary characters instead of guessing?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Finding old copies of saved file

I saved a file then found out that I needed some of the information that I had deleted and closed the program. It would have beneficial to me if I could get the old copy back. My suggestion is to make Manage Workbook(under info) able to show last saved places as well as the auto recovery files

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. When I select a cell to copy the contents for pasting elsewhere, and then paste the info into the new cell; the selected cell remains highli

When I select a cell to copy the contents for pasting elsewhere, and then paste the info into the new cell; the selected cell remains highlighted with those circulating green lines regardless of where I click next. What's up with that ?

I WANT TO TURN OFF THIS FEATURE.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. UTF8 for Excel 2016 Standalone

This functionality was implemented for O365 version, but the stand alone version was left out. The work arounds required for moving to UTF in stand alone version are questionable for implementation at best. This needs to have parity in both versions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. PLEASE allow adding "recent" files button to the Quick Access toolbar.

PLEASE allow adding "recent" files button to the Quick Access toolbar.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. change colour of save icon when in need of saving (a la' Bluebeam)

change colour of 'save' icon when in need of saving (a la' Bluebeam)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add Document Recovery pane to the View ribbon

When I open Excel, I usually have something I need to do. I close the Document Recovery pane, opting to view the files later. When I am ready to view them, the only way to restore the recovery pane is to close all workbooks and reopen Excel. I am asking to be able to turn that pane on and off from the View ribbon like any other pane.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. ctrl-shift-s: save as

For nearly every application, ctrl-shift-s is "Save As", closely related to ctrl-s (save).
    office uses ctrl-s as a shortcut to Save, but for some strange strange reasons insists on F12 to indicate Save As.
    in word, I can change this, in excel I cannot. The error Ding, whenever I push ctrl--s to save a document as drives me insane. please, pleaaaaase, make ctrl--s the shortcut for 'Save As' or at least give us the option. F12 makes no sense. It's not where my fingers are as I type things. I need to stop, and reach over to F12.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base