Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop asking to save changes if nothing has changed

You open and Excel file and look at it for a moment then click Close. Excel pops up a dialog "Want to save your changes?". I didn't change anything! Please stop asking to save changes when nothing has changed. It confuses the user.

This is made worse if I've has that spreadsheet open for a long time and I don't remember if I changed it or not. Or worse, there may be other people working on the same file and if I say "Save", I overwrite their changes.

I heard that this has to do with Excel saving the current…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back easy "Open file" window

Please, please, please bring back the the easy "Open File" window from the old versions of Excel and Word. I would love to have the browser window open immediately instead if this ridiculous jumping through hoops to get to the browser window.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Restore the Open Recent Files icon in QAT

I have Excel 2016 on 2 computers. The one with the older build allows me to put the icon for "Open Recent Files" in the Quick Access Toolbar but the most recent one took this away. It is available in version 1611, build 7571.2109 but is not allowed in version 1612, build 7668.2074. Attached is a screen print from the older build showing it. I use this function constantly and it is a real pain not to have it available anymore. Please add this back in.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Arranging Excel Files From The Task Bar

Bring back the ability to move files up and down the column when right clicking the Excel Icon on the task bar. Currently, when you pin a file to the Excel Icon, its placed at the bottom of the list and can't be moved. I have many files that I pin and sorting them manually would be very helpful.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable multiple workbooks in a single Excel instance.

Please update Excel so that it can open multiple workbooks in a single instance, like it used to. Having multiple instances open hinders my efficiency: I can't ctrl-Tab between workbooks and I can't Paste-Special from different Excel instances the same way I can within the same instance.

Thanks

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. What version of Excel am I using?

I use different versions of Excel when working at home, at the office or at client's workplaces.
    I would just like to know, quickly, what version of Excel I am working on. This used to be under the Help Menu in a pop-up dialogue box called "About", if my memory serves me. But I cannot find this in the latest version I have at home (part of Office 365), so I don't actually know which version I am using.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Save to current folder instead of "Document Library"

In a corporate environment you often have 1000+ people on the same server, with 10+ levels of subfolder defining your little part of it. So, it's a REAL PAIN when every time you want to save a copy of a workbook to your folder (or maybe a new subfolder of the current folder's parent) that you are always thrown out to the "Document Library" so that you have to navigate back through all the subfolders to where you just were. The "Document Library" is a fixed location, so it should be accessible via a button on the Save As dialog,…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show Recently Used Folders as the Default for Save As Function

Excel used to default to Recently Used Folders when using the Save As function. Please return that option to the Save As Function.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please reinstitute Autosave for local files

Back in Excel '97 and other previous versions, you could Autosave local files. Now on the subscription model, the feature is apparently restricted to cloud-based files. I save my stuff locally. Sometimes I don't have access to the internet or have issues with power. I'm also a big fan of keeping my source data secure and if I'm the only one working on a file, I see no reason to keep anything but a periodic backup on a different (locally-networked) computer. Autosave was a feature in editions of Excel that existed before the cloud, I'd like to see it return.…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add a SEARCH box to the File|Open|Recent menu

I have a looooong list of files in my Recent screen when I try to open a file. I should be able to search to quickly get what I need vs scrolling to find it.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. I keep 25 files in the pinned list. Having them re-sorted each time they are opened is VERY inefficient! Why did you ever make such a stup

I keep 25 files in the pinned list. Having them re-sorted each time they are opened is VERY inefficient! Why did you ever make such a stupid change? MS always talks about increasing productivity - this change (of re-sorting the pinned list based upon usage date/time) causes me to be VERY unproductive!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. put back:Excel openworkbook in first instance

Existing workbook opens up in random instance of excel.exe when there are more than one instance of excel.exe 2016 running.

This was not the case with excel 2010 where every workbook was opening up in first launched instance of excel.exe when there were more than 1 instance of excel.exe

Can this be fixed and let the workbook use the first instance of excel.exe when there are multiple instances running?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. DropBox missing from "Add a Place in Office 2016

In Office 2013 users had the ability to add non-Microsoft cloud storage providers (DropBox Google) to "Add a Place". This interoperability was a valuable asset to the user trying to use Office applications. In Office 2016 the ability to add DropBox is no longer available in the UI. The only options are Microsoft cloud stores.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Ctrl+Shift+P shortcut for quick PDF exporting of selected sheets

Huge time saver that I've implemented with VBA: Ctrl+Shift+P exports a PDF file with the selected sheets to ActiveWorkbook.Path named ActiveWorkbook.Name+Format(Now(),"yyyy-mm-dd hh-mm").pdf; then it opens a windows explorer window with said file selected. Very, very useful.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. csv

Putting a option to change delimiter and separator on save as CSV. Not using Windows default separator. Do like LibreOffice, it have option to save file with or without delimiters and to change separators.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. How do I prevent Excel from redisplaying multiple minimized open documents when opening a new document?

Excel 365, minimized workbook pops up when opening another workbook from explorer.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix Path/Filename Length Restrictions (Office, OneDrive, SharePoint, etc.)

Please fix length limitations on the path/filenames in Office, OneDrive, SharePoint etc!! This has been a problem for many years. Not only is the limitation too small --- but it is inconsistent across the MS Suite of products.

In some places I can save a specific path and filename and others I cannot (e.g., SAVE AS functionality seems to have one limitation and file moves or copies have a different limitation).

I recently starting using OneDrive to keep my files backed up as I work. The issue is that when I try to build some organization into my folder structure,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix Read-only issue

Fix the issue described here: tps://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office_integration__sharepoint/2015/11/12/excel-2016-opens-sharepoint-workbooks-as-read-only/

I do not want to have to re-open files every time in Excel 2016.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Recent Folders List when saving files

When I go into recent folders to save a file, excel 2013 does not put my most recent folder at the at the top of the list. I feel like it makes sense to put my most recent folder at the top of the list. In fact, I just saved files into a folder 8 times and that folder still hasn't shown up on my recent folders list at all. I cannot figure out how excel picks which folders to put on the recent folder list if it isn't something I just went in several times.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel to Export or Saveas to JSON format

Currently there is no option of saving excel file to JSON format, we need to use online or third party tool to do this.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base