Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In File menu, add an option to 'Save & Close' in one step.

In File menu, add an option to 'Save & Close' with one click. Currently, one has to either:

Click on 'Save', then click on 'Close', OR

Click on 'Close', and then answer the question "Do you want to save the changes etc etc." with another click.

With the option to 'Save & Close', this would be done with one initial click.

Multiplied by a million files being 'Save(d)' and 'Close(d)' around the world every day, that's a lot of clicks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Save As Feature that saves Each Tab as individual CSV

As a user who needs to often merge multiple tables into new tables that feed Systems, I would like to quickly export the merged Table in my excel file to a CSV. Right now I have to copy the table and put it into a new Single Tab excel file. The manual process has often resulted in subtle errors in the copied file. IF I could save the tabs from a Multi TAB excel file into individual CSV files (with the file name as tab name) this would be a great quality improvement for my team.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. How to Unlock 7z File Without Password?

The Best apparatus to unlock 7z file password with experience eSoftTools 7z password recovery software and open 7zip password. It can easily break the 7z password with the Brute Force Attack, Dictionary Attack, and Mask Attack. This tool can unlock the 7z file password blends in a few dialects with no issue, simply open the file.

Search on Google for more Info - eSoftTools 7z Password Recovery

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Start up Folder -be able to go into Explorer and click on the Folder Required other than having to type the full path - often told no

Under File Options for Default Start up can we have an option to go to Explorer and select the Folder we require.?
    At present one has to type in the full path name and is often told "cannot-invalid" etc.

At present mine now defaults to Personal.XLSB and I am unable to remove this

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Show the actual character count when filepath length exceeds the 218 character count

We have to deal with the limitation that the full filename (including path) cannot exceed 218 characters. When it happens, we get an error message describing the issue (sort of); could you include the "current" character count so we can remove only the necessary characters instead of guessing?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please redo the UI of the File/Open page

In Excel, when I use Ctrl-O to open a file, the rightmost column (with previously used files) has its own vertical scrollbar, separate from the scrollbar for the File/Open page itself (I don't typically use Excel maximized). Because the middle column has a huge fixed width, I need to use the page's horizontal scroll to get access to the embedded vertical scoll for the previously used list.

Please redo this UI so that 1) the middle column is resizeable, and/or 2) there is only one vertical scroll bar (the scroll bar for the page). To be clear, for option 2,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Auto save on local drives & Network drives

Please Allow "Auto save" on local drives & Network drives. At the moment this facility seems to be available for files opened or saved to OneDrive only.

It is paramount for users to have consistent operation irrespective of the file location.

Please consider this change ASAP, thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Save directly using a path+filename instead of going through 3 dialog boxes

In general, for all MSO applications, stop the save to web default dialog, which then needs an additional click for the regular save dialog box, and then find the tiny "more" line to input a directory. It used to be you just enter a path+filename (presumably the path is copied from Windows Explorer already) and now, it's multiple steps!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. eliminate "keep info in clipboard" message when closing the app

please lose the question about the clipboard being full of information. We now have Gigs of memory. It can't be a real issue. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Use a fingerprint reader to protect and unprotect flies.

Use a fingerprint reader to protect and unprotect flies.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Show path where spreadsheet has been saved alongside filename at top of spreadsheet.

Show path where spreadsheet has been saved alongside filename at top of spreadsheet. Doing so will immediately eliminate uncertainty of where a file has been saved and make for a more efficient and friendly user experience by having the ability to check at a glance.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option To Refresh Stock Data When File Opens

It would be terrific to have the option on a per-file basis to automatically refresh our Stock data types when our workbooks open. I would envision this being a similar functionality to what we have available to us in the Pivot Table options.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Office programs crash EVERY time there is an update

How about every time you have an update for an Office product, you don't cause the program to stop responding, crash and lose all the unsaved work? I am feeling a class action lawsuit...

Watch them delete this post in an attempt to sensor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel - Improve Excel file corruption detection

We have a corruption on a specific Excel file. This corruption very significantly reduced Excel performances. Unfortunately, Excel did not automatically detect the corruption while opening the file. We have to manually remove "custom views" for the Excel file, and re-open it to allow Excel detecting the corruption and repairing it. It is a pity that Excel cannot detect the corruption by himself, if we did not perform the trick of removing custom views. I am reproducing the issue with last version of Excel.
    My request is to improve the corruption detection, so this kind of corruption can be detected.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Your latest changes to the File - Open - shared with me are counterproductive

I have two files "shared with Me". Recent changes have crowded this list with all of the Excel Files that I have opened from e-mail, requiring a search for these two files. Worse, when I click on any of these files I get an error that the path is too long.

Also, I use for files that I view/edit in the field using iOS Excel. These files do not appear on the recent list. They should be available there.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Way to disable greetings

Excel started to "greet" me recently and home page is showing template list.
    I have disabled showing of templates from startup so this is supper annoying.
    How do I stop both things? Excel does not know me so don't tell me "Good morning" or such.
    This just craps on my screen and covers with junk forcing me to use extra clicks to get to things. I want to see the real list of pinned items/ last accessed ones - and in this order.
    95% of the time I use only pinned items and last access time is not relevant to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Auto save needs to be added to the lifetime subscription

Auto save was a feature on 365 and it needs to be a feature on the Lifetime subscription.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add 'Open as read-only' back to the context menu of Excel files

Old versions of Excel had this option and I liked it. If I need to look at a file without modifying it, I want to be able to directly open it as read-only.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. autosave for Dropbox

I would like to see autosave expanded to include dropbox. I save files to multiple locations for security reasons

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base