Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove the unused space in the File Open Recent dialog to allow long file names

The File Open (Recent) dialog shows :

• a vertical scroll bar and

• an empty/unused space on the right hand

The scroll bar has a fixed position.
    Therefore long file names are truncated.

So far no-one can tall what this empty space is being used for.

My suggestion is to
    either
    - allow users to move the vertical scroll bar more to the right
    or
    - better, to remove the empty space.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multiple Backups

More and more I'm opening my files with my macros and getting "missing library" or even worse, not being able to recover the coding.

I finally did a macro to replace the "backup of" system excel uses:

It keeps a big number of backup versions using this format (I use a variable inside the macro. Right now is 12). I will end with 12 backups, and they will be recycle, one by one:
    AUTORECOVER-1-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-2-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-3-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-12-file name.XLSB

Macro

Sub BACKUPSYSTEM()
    ' ---------------------------------------------
    XNUM
    OF_BACKUPS = 12

XFOLDER = UCase(ActiveWorkbook.Path)
    XWORKBOOK = UCase(ActiveWorkbook.Name)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Increase Excel filename limits

Microsoft advertise that they have given us a godlike 400 character limit in OneDrive and SharePoint. Sounds good...Until you find out that not one of the Office applications supports more than 259 characters, and Excel is the clear winner at 218. Thats HALF. Not a bit less, HALF. This is borderline fraudulent, I have had customers who couldn' go to Sharepoint because of the file name limits, and after wasting a load of money on Migrations and setting up Sharepoint, all because Microsoft told us we can have 400 characters in a name, we have to revert everything back. For…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Reducing/disabling popups for saving and then closing a csv/tex files

Imagine I want to save an existing file and the close it. How many popups would you expect? If it's and xlsx file you get 0. If it's a CSV you get 2 maybe 3. After hitting save you get a "some features might be lost warning" I don't care it's a csv. On closing you get a "want to save your changes" question, WTF? I literally just saved the file, didn't I? Oh maybe not, better save it again! If you do save it again you get the first pop up a second time. Can we have the option…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Turn off calculations option/text only.

In my line of work (software testing), we use Excel to write test cases. In some cases, the files can become quite large (300-600 rows), and even though there is only text in the cells, Excel can become quite resource-laden and will sometimes become wholly unresponsive.

Maybe there should be an option to create workbooks without calculations and only textual values in the cells, or to turn calculations off and only display the entered value in cells. I can envision this helping with developing templates or other "Spreadsheet" or list-creating activities. Then provide the option to turn on calculations if…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More difficult to find the recent files

Bring back the Recent options from the file menu. Now I have to go to the Open Menu

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Open new excel window in the same size as previous.

Open new excel window in the same size as previous. It is very annoying to resize every new window!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. shared excel workbook timer - a pop up that asks if you are still working

We have a shared workbook that several people in the company use regularly. However, often it will happen that someone will open the workbook to look something up or change something, and then forget to save and close. Then everyone else is waiting to get in to it to make their changes. It would be nice if after a set amount of time, a pop up would ask if you are still working in this spread sheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Save Changes

The new Save changes dialog that appears when you close without saving, add more location options. You've added an additional click through to get the typical save dialog. This is in-efficient.

Dont mind the new style but would like more locations options. Would like any options that are generally available below the "This PC" on the typical explorer save dialog. Bonus points for being able to pin a location to the menu for frequent use.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make recent files dialog available on taskbar

When one right-clicks excel or word icon on taskbar, several recent files are listed. If the one you want is not there, you have to open the program (getting a blank doc you don't need) in order to access the recent files dialog. Please make it possible to open the recent files dialog from this right-click dropdown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. recent files: move 'back' button to title bar

if one scrolls down the recent files list, and desired file is not there, one has to scroll back up to the top to hit the "back" arrow. Moving this button to the window's title bar would make it always accessible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Open multiple files with the same file name

Allow excel to open files with the same name but different location at the same time

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Capability to sort pinned files in Excel 2016 alphabetically by filename instead of just by date and time.

Excel 2016 for Windows should have the capability to sort pinned files alphabetically by filename instead of just by date and time.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make file browsing consistent between local drives and OneDrive/SharePoint locations

When opening files in Excel (or other Office programs) the browsing behaviour between local drives and SharePoint/OneDrive locations is different.

When opening a file from a local drive the file browsing works like in File Explorer:

- single clicking a file results in a highlight/select the file
    - typing characters allows you to position yourself in potentially long lists
    - double-click opens the file

When browsing through the OneDrive or SharePoint locations the behaviour is different:
    - single clicking results in immediately opening the file
    - using the keyboard to position or search for filenames in the list is impossible

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. while going for "Save As" keep an option to add new folder directly without the need to click on (additional Options) which takes extra time

while going for "Save As" keep an option to add new folder directly without the need to click on (additional Options) which takes extra time

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Increase the file path length to more than 218 characters

Incresaing the character count in the file path matching with Excel online would be fitting. Or even more. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Refresh option for Read Only Office Files

Why can't we use a "Refresh" button for data to get updated while we have a file open in read-only mode?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix Path/Filename Length Restrictions (Office, OneDrive, SharePoint, etc.)

Please fix length limitations on the path/filenames in Office, OneDrive, SharePoint etc!! This has been a problem for many years. Not only is the limitation too small --- but it is inconsistent across the MS Suite of products.

In some places I can save a specific path and filename and others I cannot (e.g., SAVE AS functionality seems to have one limitation and file moves or copies have a different limitation).

I recently starting using OneDrive to keep my files backed up as I work. The issue is that when I try to build some organization into my folder structure,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base