Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. List of recently opened files sorted alphabetically (as Office 2010)

The list of recently opened files is sorted chronically (default setting?). It should be allowed to be sorted alphabetically (as Office 2010).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow subsequent workbooks to be opened in the size and position they were saved

It's very annoying that no matter the saved window size of my workbook it opens in the same size as the first one opened in an Excel session. Now that we've since Office 2013 been "forced" to open separate windows (each with its own identical ribbon) for all workbooks it's strange that each window isn't treated separately. Where is the logic? Can it be solved?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Open Excel at the pinned list

Make it possible to open Excel at the pinned list rather that the recent files list

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. make "recent files" screen an option when starting Excel, instead of start screen

have no use for the start screen. operate via recent files all the time. I can disable the start screen upon excel opening, but then i always end up with an unneeded blank document which stays open after i've opened the doc i need.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make the "Copy Of" function for Excel 2019 onward an opt out.

Make the "Copy Of" function for Excel 2019 onward an opt out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. save all files

There should be an option to save ALL open files at once. This way if you're working across multiple files you don't have to go through and save each individually.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Show path where spreadsheet has been saved alongside filename at top of spreadsheet.

Show path where spreadsheet has been saved alongside filename at top of spreadsheet. Doing so will immediately eliminate uncertainty of where a file has been saved and make for a more efficient and friendly user experience by having the ability to check at a glance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. convert excel to pdf with specific cells as bookmarks

convert excel to pdf with specific cells as bookmarks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Eliminate 2 step process to opening files

Eliminate 2 step process to opening files. file open should bring you directly to folder path without having to also press browse.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. In general for all of office 365: Microsoft seems to dynamically verify licensing and if for some reason the license becomes invalid it is

In general for all of office 365: Microsoft seems to dynamically verify licensing and if for some reason the license becomes invalid it is not possible to save a file, even if the license dynamically becomes valid again. Since a license can become temporarily invalid due to a Microsoft update, or some other glitch in the licensing system, this means work started and changed while the license was valid is lost since you must close and restart the application to reactivate a license which was previously valid. At the very least there needs to be some means of saving and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show More Error Details for Auto-Restored Excel Files

When Excel automatically restores a "crashed" file, and you attempt to save that file, a warning about errors is displayed. You can view the log file directly from the warning, but the log file contains the same amount of error statement wording. It would be helpful to receive more details.

In my case, the warning was:
    "One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook"

It would be beneficial to know what cells had their invalid formats removed and what the invalid format rules were.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Insert Sheet should be on INSERT tab

Please put "insert sheet' in the INSERT tab.
    I know it's in other places, but come on...it's so obvious and intuitive to be there.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix "Default Programs" and extension associations

If I want CSV to default to Excel, I cannot set this in the Options menu any more. It says "To change your default apps, go to Settings>Apps>Default apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I would be good to add Teams files in "Open" menu

I would be good to add Teams files in "Open" menu

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stop asking to save changes if nothing has changed

You open and Excel file and look at it for a moment then click Close. Excel pops up a dialog "Want to save your changes?". I didn't change anything! Please stop asking to save changes when nothing has changed. It confuses the user.

This is made worse if I've has that spreadsheet open for a long time and I don't remember if I changed it or not. Or worse, there may be other people working on the same file and if I say "Save", I overwrite their changes.

I heard that this has to do with Excel saving the current…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Save as PDF - PDF version standard

Save as PDF should use the same PDF version standard across all Microsoft products for example version 1.7 regardless if using Mac or Windows and regardless of using Microsoft online service to generate the PDF or using the local service.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please make it to where Excel and other Office applications can use the full 400 characters when saving to OneDrive/SharePoint

Please make it to where Excel and other Office applications can use the full 400 characters when saving to OneDrive/SharePoint, users end up blaming OneDrive and SharePoint for issues/errors that are really a limitation of excel and other Office apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please make it to where Excel and other Office applications can use the full 400 characters when saving to OneDrive/SharePoint

Please make it to where Excel and other Office applications can use the full 400 characters when saving to OneDrive/SharePo,int, users end up blaming OneDrive and SharePoint for an issues/errors that are really a limitation of excel and other Office apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. could you please provide automatic workbook backup generation functionality a per file basis

objective: enable automated backup for sensitive files

such a possibility should be enabled on the options menu, on a per workbook / file basis. User should be able to select the frequency of backup

when active, Excel would automatically copy the existing file as a new, separate file on the user-defined frequency.

see the "password safe" application (https://pwsafe.org/ - 'options' menu, 'backups' tab) for a sample implementation

thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base