Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Workbook.Open() behave as in Excel 2010 if the workbook is already open

Set wbk=Workbooks.Open("Your file path")

If the workbook "Your file path" is already open, wbk returns Nothing instead of (as per Excel 2010) re-opening the file, prompting the user if any changes have been made to the file.

Please restore to the way it worked in Excel 2010.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Don't leave blank workbook when opening a workbook fails

If Excel fails when trying to open a file (e.g. workbook with same name is already open), a blank workbook is left. This happens in a few other scenarios. Please stop this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The backstage needs to be removed

The backstage really needs to be removed (or have the option of turning it off completely, not just enable shortcut keys). It breaks the standard windows experience and is quite time consuming and frustrating to get to the standard save as dialog.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Show us what has been repaired or discarded

When dealing with the repair of corrupt workbooks, the message "...Some parts of this workbook may have been repaired or discarded." is quite useless.

We need to know what has been repaired or discarded, and where the changes has been made.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make Dir() funtion work with OneDrive

The Dir function does not work with OneDrive. One gets an error message! As both are Microsoft's products, it would be nice if both worked together!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Do NOT ask to input file name in Close confirmation dialog

When closing a file with unsaved changes, a dialog will ask you whether to save it.

In the old design, it's a simple prompt with three buttons and N key is for "doN't save".
    So I if I don't want to save a file, I just press 𝗖𝘁𝗿𝗹+𝗪 then 𝗡.

In the new design, this dialog asks for a file name. The focus is in the inputbox, so pressing N key will change the file name, not dismissing the dialog.
    If I don't want to save the file, I have to press 𝗖𝘁𝗿𝗹+𝗪 and 𝘼𝙡𝙩+𝗡. It sucks.

Most Excel users…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Protección de hojas con password muy vulnerable

Los archivos de excel son muy vulnerables en la proteccion con password de sus hojas. Un gran porcentaje de usuarios sabe que se pueden desbloquear cambiando la extensión xlsx por zip para despues editar los archivos xml y borrar la directiva <sheetprotection>.
    Así que cuando protegemos los archivos, los usuarios pueden desprotegerlos y modificarkos a su antojo.
    Ojalá que puedan cambiar la forma de protegerlas por lo menos encriptando la directiva <sheetprotection> o poniendo password al archivo zip.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Have multiple files open in the same window (like in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop)

Adobe Creative Apps have the feature that allows all your open documents to be open in one window. You simply tab back and forth between projects instead of having multiple windows open at the same time. This would simplify workflow and, I believe, reduce power usage.. This would be helpful across Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel with weigh points

As I understand Excel, the only spot you can open a workbook is from or go back to is the last saved point.

Excel would be much more enhanced if it had a Weigh Point Save Option. Like in many graphic programs you can set multiple weigh points as you are creating a document. Kind of a timeline that you take snapshots along the way.
    If things go too far from what you are trying to create, you can go back to earlier weigh points within the created workbook. You find a weigh point that you know formulas and inputs…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Password Management for Microsoft Product

Dear Microsoft Team;
    Regarding to currently Microsoft product we can't control for user to put in password excel. so we would like to suggest Microsoft team to develop a feature for IT manager or IT administrator to control all these password. if we can't control all these password, then it will become disaster for our firm or organization. I believed that only me that having issue with this password issue.

thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. temporary save files

Sometimes I am working on a workbook, but I dont want to permanently save the book, but I also dont want to loose everything if there is a crash. Aside from autorecovery, how about a feature to save a temporary file, like putting it in a temporary area to be deleted within a week (or set time) if not accessed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. to be able to open & view multiple tabs of a singular workbook simotaneously

It would be helpful if I could view multiple tabs within the same workbook side by side, i.e. similar to having multiple workbook opens

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add an option NOT to auto convert numbers to dates when importing text

I regularly open text files or .CSV files with addresses in. Sometimes the first line of the address is something like "1-1" or "2/3". This is a very common way of writing apartment numbers in the UK. Excel "helpfully" converts these values to "1-Jan" and "2-Mar", and it's infuriatingly difficult to convert them back again. IN our CRM system we have hundreds of customers whose address is 1-1, apartment 12 or something, but on our system it now says they live at the 1st of January. It would be great if users could disable this "date sensing" feature, or at…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Jump list Re-ordering

I would like to be able to either right-click or drag and re-order the pinned files in the jump list.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I keep this amount in my place of work (I must to buye a seif) and make to give this money where wish your EXCELLECE in every month.

In every month I can to pay amount of money where wish you (of course with a evidence In Excel table with contability very clear for YOU

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. File Open Error/Exceptoin

Getting an error on file length for opening and saving a filename. The issue here is you control both OS and Excel, how did this error reach a customer. I can open and save(rename) the file, so it's a programming bug. Opening file location is a onedrive sync, so another MS program adding to this issue.

I've moved on, but this looks bad and you can't point the finger to anyone else

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Multiple Spreadsheets Multiple Window Sizes

Have multiple spreadsheets, each with unique roles. Some are small in display area, some are large in display area. What would be really accommodating is to have Excel remember each spreadsheet Window size and display position. Therefore, if you resize a spreadsheet this does not affect all spreadsheets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Change file titles for objects embedded in Excel

I've been using the embed objects feature in Excel to organize files. However, it can be difficult to navigate from one opened embedded file to the next if there are several open at the same time-- usually they have a generic name like "Worksheet in (name of master file)" or "Document in (name of master file)". A feature that allows users to change the embedded file titles would make navigating multiple embedded files much easier.

I'm aware that you can change the icon name, but this does not seem to reflect in the actual title of the object once opened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. excel file blank when opened

file excel blank ketika dibuka. namun ketika dibuka untuk kedua kalinya tidak blank. Bagaimana caranya supaya file tersebut dibuka dan tidak blank?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base